Syracuse 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kartal

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby kartal » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:20 pm

wileyman02 wrote:kartal- just curious where you heard 2.8. My award letter says that retaining the scholarship is contingent on maintaining a 3.0. I realize GPA stipulations vary sometimes depending on the scholarship amount offered, so perhaps that's the case here.

Anything $27K and below requires 2.8. Above requires 3.0. That is my understanding.

kartal

Postby kartal » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:07 pm

I posted this question to another Syracuse Law thread, but did not get any response. Let me post it here as well.

"When I was checking the SUCOL academic calendar from their website, I noticed that they have scheduled dates for both mid-terms and finals in both Fall and Spring semesters. I thought that there was no mid-term in law schools. What is up with Syracuse? Are they different in this sense? Syracuse students, please chip in."

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:54 pm

Just got an acceptance in the mail!!!! It's my first of the whole cycle. 20k/year Alumni Scholarship. :) It's so nice to know I got accepted to somewhere, FINALLY.

deltasigbn

Postby deltasigbn » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:31 pm

Last edited by deltasigbn on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legal_eagle

Postby legal_eagle » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:01 am

congratulations

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:16 am

Got the package in the mail today. After reading this forum and knowing exactly where the scholarship letter would be, it was the first thing I dashed for....it wasn't there. Fuck.

Does anybody know how high grants for law schools, especially Syracuse, can be? I completed my undergrad entirely on grants, no loans. I know this won't be the case for law school, but I'll take any help I can get.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:44 pm

syracuse claims to be very generous with grants and financial aid. You have to show them your tax return and W-2's for them to verify how much aid you are eligible for. Get them in asap.

wileyman02

Postby wileyman02 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:30 pm

kartal wrote:
wileyman02 wrote:kartal- just curious where you heard 2.8. My award letter says that retaining the scholarship is contingent on maintaining a 3.0. I realize GPA stipulations vary sometimes depending on the scholarship amount offered, so perhaps that's the case here.

Anything $27K and below requires 2.8. Above requires 3.0. That is my understanding.

Hey kartal and iceman, thanks for the info!

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:52 pm

northwood wrote:syracuse claims to be very generous with grants and financial aid. You have to show them your tax return and W-2's for them to verify how much aid you are eligible for. Get them in asap.

Do you know when we'll know what kind of grants we've been awarded?

I'm kind of in a tough spot. I have three classes I need to take in addition to the six I'm already taking. Have to complete them by mid May so that I can have my ug degree by July 1. I need to start those classes (which are online and eight weeks long) by second week of March in order for the transcripts to transfer to my actual university. However, with no scholarship offer I'm leaning towards taking a year off to retake the LSAT in October and do the cycle over again. BUT, should I get a decent sized grant I'll definitely consider beginning law school this fall.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:55 pm

they start releasing them mid march- if you have given them all of your financial information. I think they will release the info once a week until they run out of funds.

personally, id take the year off and apply earlier next cycle.

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:03 pm

northwood wrote:they start releasing them mid march- if you have given them all of your financial information. I think they will release the info once a week until they run out of funds.

My parents are so set on me heading off this year. It's weird, I'm always the one that makes questionable financial decisions and they are the ones that are really sound in terms of finances. Right now, the two traits have flipped. I was really excited when I saw iceman's numbers and the scholarship he received because our numbers are identical, except he scored one point more on the LSAT. I think I applied too late in the cycle to have received scholarship consideration with those numbers. Maybe applying earlier will make all the difference, and I can't even imagine what raising my score at least three points will do for merit-aid.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:17 pm

nshapkar wrote:
northwood wrote:they start releasing them mid march- if you have given them all of your financial information. I think they will release the info once a week until they run out of funds.

My parents are so set on me heading off this year. It's weird, I'm always the one that makes questionable financial decisions and they are the ones that are really sound in terms of finances. Right now, the two traits have flipped. I was really excited when I saw iceman's numbers and the scholarship he received because our numbers are identical, except he scored one point more on the LSAT. I think I applied too late in the cycle to have received scholarship consideration with those numbers. Maybe applying earlier will make all the difference, and I can't even imagine what raising my score at least three points will do for merit-aid.

it really makes a difference. The earlier you send them, the better your chances are for getting money. SU told me that they give out the money to those who qualify until the moneys gone. Same for grants. Waiting another cycle paid off for me. If you increase your LSAT your chances are much better.

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:29 pm

northwood wrote:
nshapkar wrote:

it really makes a difference. The earlier you send them, the better your chances are for getting money. SU told me that they give out the money to those who qualify until the moneys gone. Same for grants. Waiting another cycle paid off for me. If you increase your LSAT your chances are much better.

Did you wait a year to improve your score? Mind sharing how much it improved by and how long you prepped?

J21

Postby J21 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:36 pm

Anyone considering the JD/MA program?

daly4889

Postby daly4889 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:06 pm

"Anyone considering the JD/MA program?"

I am definitely considering their JD/MPA program. It is the top MPA program in the country, and I know some really people who have gone through the MPA program and landed great jobs afterward. And you only pay the law degree price and get it in 3 years. It really sounds like a good deal, but admissions is a real competitive for the MPA too i've heard and I wouldn't be applying until my 1L. It really sounds pretty great though.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:53 am

daly4889 wrote:"Anyone considering the JD/MA program?"

I am definitely considering their JD/MPA program. It is the top MPA program in the country, and I know some really people who have gone through the MPA program and landed great jobs afterward. And you only pay the law degree price and get it in 3 years. It really sounds like a good deal, but admissions is a real competitive for the MPA too i've heard and I wouldn't be applying until my 1L. It really sounds pretty great though.

What kind of jobs does one with a JD/MPA joint degree get?

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:53 am

Is there a facebook group for 2014 Syracuse Law accepted students?????

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:38 pm

Hey, everyone that got accepted, want your input on this: so one of the biggest drawbacks I've heard people saying about Syracuse is job placement. Also, lots of people ask why employed % wasn't posted in the USNWR, many speculating its because it's really really low. Well, I looked through everything in the admission packet (hope you guys did too haha) and found the employment statistics. I don't have them in front of me right now, but I believe it was somewhere around 90-95% employed...forgot if it was at graduation or nine months later, and it may have said the number known I don't recall. Shit wish I had this in front of me. What's your take, do you believe the numbers?

Iceman389

Postby Iceman389 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:46 pm

Just RSVP'ed for the march 25th visitor program. Anyone else do the same?

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:48 pm

ill be there

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:27 pm

If I am not visiting iowa I will be there.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:35 pm

I set up an individual visit and I'll be there Thursday March 3- Sunday March 6. I'll be attending the bball game on Saturday too! I'll be taking pictures so I'll be sure to post them here if you guys haven't seen the campus before.

calililaw

Postby calililaw » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:05 pm

anyone have any idea if/when they send out batches of decisions. I called today and was told i should get one this week...
also, does anyone know anything about the campus-owned apartments? im from across the country and am still debating if i should bring a car. being on a bus line close to campus would probably make life a lot easier.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:37 pm

I would bring a car for Syracuse. I live fairly close, so I guess I am biased because I drive there. It isn't your typical city, so a car won't be a pain in the ass to own there. I really don't know anything about their public transport though.

orachelo

Postby orachelo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:35 am

I went complete on 2/4/11 and I got my acceptance package via snail mail on 2/19/11.

I didn't get any scholarship or financial aid info in the package. Did this happen to anyone else? I wonder when the fin aid info is coming... :?:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”