Syracuse 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
StillHerexxx
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:58 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby StillHerexxx » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:39 pm

Whoops meant email the w2 not mail.

sizzlechest
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby sizzlechest » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:02 pm

rejected via USPS...Congrats to everyone in!

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/sizzlechest

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby northwood » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:03 pm

sizzlechest wrote:rejected via USPS...Congrats to everyone in!

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/sizzlechest



what are you planning on doing? gointo UMKC or MSU, or re taking?

sizzlechest
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby sizzlechest » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:32 pm

northwood wrote:
sizzlechest wrote:rejected via USPS...Congrats to everyone in!

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/sizzlechest



what are you planning on doing? gointo UMKC or MSU, or re taking?


That's a great question...definitely not re-taking...visited and liked both schools...still on the fence.
Spent a few years in NorCal so the Pacific decision is like a dark cloud over my cycle...just got a Financial Aid email from them and about fell out of my seat...the suspense is killing me.

sizzlechest
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby sizzlechest » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:45 pm

northwood wrote:
sizzlechest wrote:rejected via USPS...Congrats to everyone in!

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/sizzlechest



what are you planning on doing? gointo UMKC or MSU, or re taking?


What about you? I see you've narrowed it down to 3. I visited Syracuse and Pitt within the past 6 months and would loved to have attended either...congrats on the scholarship at Syracuse.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby northwood » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:40 pm

sizzlechest wrote:
northwood wrote:
sizzlechest wrote:rejected via USPS...Congrats to everyone in!

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/sizzlechest



what are you planning on doing? gointo UMKC or MSU, or re taking?


What about you? I see you've narrowed it down to 3. I visited Syracuse and Pitt within the past 6 months and would loved to have attended either...congrats on the scholarship at Syracuse.



its down to UB, CUSE and PITT ( order and rank changes by the hour). Im going to visit all three, compare my notes ( lol), and see what the final numbers are. I really really want cuse, but losing that scholarship would royally suck. I also can see myself at eith PITT or UB, but i cant make my mind up. Its a nice problem to have, as all three are very close to where i want to end up. ( if you can triangulate the schools- youll find the city of my dreams, lol). Sometimes i wish 2 out of 3 would have said no, then id be all set and have my place picked out. but then again, i like having this problem.

User avatar
daly4889
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:28 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby daly4889 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:45 pm

( if you can triangulate the schools- youll find the city of my dreams, lol).


Erie? If this is correct, I think you meant nightmare...?

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby northwood » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:46 pm

i was just kidding.....

wanted to see if anyone would take the time to do that

the city of my dreams is melbourne, australia ( well- prior to the flood)

sizzlechest
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby sizzlechest » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:13 pm

northwood wrote:
sizzlechest wrote:
northwood wrote:
sizzlechest wrote:rejected via USPS...Congrats to everyone in!

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/sizzlechest



what are you planning on doing? gointo UMKC or MSU, or re taking?


What about you? I see you've narrowed it down to 3. I visited Syracuse and Pitt within the past 6 months and would loved to have attended either...congrats on the scholarship at Syracuse.



its down to UB, CUSE and PITT ( order and rank changes by the hour). Im going to visit all three, compare my notes ( lol), and see what the final numbers are. I really really want cuse, but losing that scholarship would royally suck. I also can see myself at eith PITT or UB, but i cant make my mind up. Its a nice problem to have, as all three are very close to where i want to end up. ( if you can triangulate the schools- youll find the city of my dreams, lol). Sometimes i wish 2 out of 3 would have said no, then id be all set and have my place picked out. but then again, i like having this problem.


Choices in this process are a great problem to have.
At least you'll have Yuengling available in each city...I'm going to lose that luxury.

User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby nshapkar » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:08 pm

northwood wrote:I saw that as well.. but it only made me confused since thats a decent sized gap. 2 tenths of a point is pretty big, especially if you have to maintain a 2.80. Im hoping that the curve is 3.0, ( which means the median grade is a 3.0 or B, correct?).

I think I will email them to double check. Its pretty important to know how well you have to do in order to keep the scholarship.


Haven't gone through all the posts in this forum, so if this was answered just saying my bad in advance.

I talked to a student who got into Catholic a few years ago on a large scholarship. The way catholic broke up in the incoming class into sections is, they made three regular sections and the fourth section was for all large scholarship recipients, this way half of them lost their scholarships at the end of their 1L. Do you know if this is a common practice among law schools, Syracuse included?

I know I got in, just waiting for my acceptance package (they mailed it out today). I think I have a shot at $$ considering Iceman got 20k and we have near identical #s (158 v. 157, 3.2 v. 3.19) I have the lower ones.

If anyone knows whether Syracuse does this as well (placing scholarship recipients in the same section) please let me know, because it would suck to pay sticker for 2L & 3L
Last edited by nshapkar on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby nshapkar » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:20 pm

lsatextreme wrote:
nshapkar wrote:Got accepted today. Sent application on 01/10 complete 01/20 found out decision today. However, I found out when I called them to ask a question. I noticed on myslice that there was a link for Admission Acceptance Form, but it didn't lead to anything so I called and asked about it. They pulled up my file and informed me of my acceptance.

Pretty stoked, but kind of worried about the high tuition price.


hmmm now i'm tempted to call and ask. Mine went complete on 1/20 too...ugh



Oh they're mailing out acceptances today, so you'll know in a few days!

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby noleknight16 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:02 pm

nshapkar wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:
nshapkar wrote:Got accepted today. Sent application on 01/10 complete 01/20 found out decision today. However, I found out when I called them to ask a question. I noticed on myslice that there was a link for Admission Acceptance Form, but it didn't lead to anything so I called and asked about it. They pulled up my file and informed me of my acceptance.

Pretty stoked, but kind of worried about the high tuition price.


hmmm now i'm tempted to call and ask. Mine went complete on 1/20 too...ugh



Oh they're mailing out acceptances today, so you'll know in a few days!


How do you know that? Is there some sort of status tracker I missed?

User avatar
legal_eagle
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:20 am

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby legal_eagle » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:49 pm

nshapkar wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:
nshapkar wrote:Got accepted today. Sent application on 01/10 complete 01/20 found out decision today. However, I found out when I called them to ask a question. I noticed on myslice that there was a link for Admission Acceptance Form, but it didn't lead to anything so I called and asked about it. They pulled up my file and informed me of my acceptance.

Pretty stoked, but kind of worried about the high tuition price.


hmmm now i'm tempted to call and ask. Mine went complete on 1/20 too...ugh



Oh they're mailing out acceptances today, so you'll know in a few days!



source?

User avatar
wileyman02
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:55 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby wileyman02 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:56 pm

nshapkar wrote:
northwood wrote:I saw that as well.. but it only made me confused since thats a decent sized gap. 2 tenths of a point is pretty big, especially if you have to maintain a 2.80. Im hoping that the curve is 3.0, ( which means the median grade is a 3.0 or B, correct?).

I think I will email them to double check. Its pretty important to know how well you have to do in order to keep the scholarship.


Haven't gone through all the posts in this forum, so if this was answered just saying my bad in advance.

I talked to a student who got into Catholic a few years ago on a large scholarship. The way catholic broke up in the incoming class into sections is, they made three regular sections and the fourth section was for all large scholarship recipients, this way half of them lost their scholarships at the end of their 1L. Do you know if this is a common practice among law schools, Syracuse included?

I know I got in, just waiting for my acceptance package (they mailed it out today). I think I have a shot at $$ considering Iceman got 20k and we have near identical #s (158 v. 157, 3.2 v. 3.19) I have the lower ones.

If anyone knows whether Syracuse does this as well (placing scholarship recipients in the same section) please let me know, because it would suck to pay sticker for 2L & 3L


WOW, that is one of the most f*cked up and ruthless things I have ever heard! Shame on Catholic if that really is how things are done there. That's like TTTT behavior. I don't think most schools engage in that sort of practice, but it's definitely important to find out all the details for each school because they all have different policies in place. Syracuse has a 3.0 GPA stipulation for keeping a scholarship. What does that mean though? Do they have a strict grading scale in place (i.e. only x% of the class get A's, x% have to get B's, etc)? Not all schools have policies in place that limit the number A's, B's, C's a professor can give out. Is the stipulated GPA difficult to maintain (regardless of grading scale)? It's all relative to each particular school. What percentage of students keep their scholarships?...Make sure you have all of those answers. I haven't followed up with 'Cuse yet, but I'll let you know what I find out. So far, Case Western seems the most generous: 2.8 to maintain full amount of your scholarship and a 2.6 to keep half of it. Then again, I don't know what a 2.8 at Case really means yet, haha.

lawschool12345
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby lawschool12345 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:44 pm

nvm they gave me 27k a year lol

FuturMinn
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby FuturMinn » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:52 pm

Was scholarship info in the admission packet? I submitted my scholarship form after but I assumed the form was only for need-based aid. If I didn't have any info re: scholarship in admit packet, is it safe to think: "no merit scholarship?"

User avatar
StillHerexxx
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:58 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby StillHerexxx » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:02 pm

^I would contact the school to find out. For me and everyone I have spoken to the scholarship info was in the acceptance pack.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby northwood » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:02 pm

mine was also in the packet- in the page after the acceptance letter

FuturMinn
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby FuturMinn » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:31 pm

Thanks. I will look into in the AM -- just got packet tonight, so a little anxious... :D

User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby nshapkar » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:21 pm

legal_eagle wrote:
nshapkar wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:
nshapkar wrote:Got accepted today. Sent application on 01/10 complete 01/20 found out decision today. However, I found out when I called them to ask a question. I noticed on myslice that there was a link for Admission Acceptance Form, but it didn't lead to anything so I called and asked about it. They pulled up my file and informed me of my acceptance.

Pretty stoked, but kind of worried about the high tuition price.


hmmm now i'm tempted to call and ask. Mine went complete on 1/20 too...ugh



Oh they're mailing out acceptances today, so you'll know in a few days!



source?



No, when I called to ask what the "Admission Acceptance Form" on myslice is they pulled up my file and informed me that I was accepted. I actually asked if that link means that I've been accepted and they said not necessarily. When they told me that I got in they said that the materials will be mailed on the 16th, and I found out about a week ago, so I'm assuming they send out acceptances in waves, otherwise why would they wait 7+ days?

User avatar
legal_eagle
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:20 am

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby legal_eagle » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:44 am

nshapkar wrote:

No, when I called to ask what the "Admission Acceptance Form" on myslice is they pulled up my file and informed me that I was accepted. I actually asked if that link means that I've been accepted and they said not necessarily. When they told me that I got in they said that the materials will be mailed on the 16th, and I found out about a week ago, so I'm assuming they send out acceptances in waves, otherwise why would they wait 7+ days?


Thanks for the info. Congrats on getting in. I guess i'll keep my fingers crossed for the next week lol

User avatar
kartal
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby kartal » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:51 am

wileyman02 wrote:
nshapkar wrote:
northwood wrote:I saw that as well.. but it only made me confused since thats a decent sized gap. 2 tenths of a point is pretty big, especially if you have to maintain a 2.80. Im hoping that the curve is 3.0, ( which means the median grade is a 3.0 or B, correct?).

I think I will email them to double check. Its pretty important to know how well you have to do in order to keep the scholarship.


Haven't gone through all the posts in this forum, so if this was answered just saying my bad in advance.

I talked to a student who got into Catholic a few years ago on a large scholarship. The way catholic broke up in the incoming class into sections is, they made three regular sections and the fourth section was for all large scholarship recipients, this way half of them lost their scholarships at the end of their 1L. Do you know if this is a common practice among law schools, Syracuse included?

I know I got in, just waiting for my acceptance package (they mailed it out today). I think I have a shot at $$ considering Iceman got 20k and we have near identical #s (158 v. 157, 3.2 v. 3.19) I have the lower ones.

If anyone knows whether Syracuse does this as well (placing scholarship recipients in the same section) please let me know, because it would suck to pay sticker for 2L & 3L


WOW, that is one of the most f*cked up and ruthless things I have ever heard! Shame on Catholic if that really is how things are done there. That's like TTTT behavior. I don't think most schools engage in that sort of practice, but it's definitely important to find out all the details for each school because they all have different policies in place. Syracuse has a 3.0 GPA stipulation for keeping a scholarship. What does that mean though? Do they have a strict grading scale in place (i.e. only x% of the class get A's, x% have to get B's, etc)? Not all schools have policies in place that limit the number A's, B's, C's a professor can give out. Is the stipulated GPA difficult to maintain (regardless of grading scale)? It's all relative to each particular school. What percentage of students keep their scholarships?...Make sure you have all of those answers. I haven't followed up with 'Cuse yet, but I'll let you know what I find out. So far, Case Western seems the most generous: 2.8 to maintain full amount of your scholarship and a 2.6 to keep half of it. Then again, I don't know what a 2.8 at Case really means yet, haha.


Syracuse requires 2.8 GPA to retain your scholarship.

User avatar
kartal
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby kartal » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:52 am

northwood wrote:
sizzlechest wrote:
northwood wrote:
sizzlechest wrote:rejected via USPS...Congrats to everyone in!

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/sizzlechest



what are you planning on doing? gointo UMKC or MSU, or re taking?


What about you? I see you've narrowed it down to 3. I visited Syracuse and Pitt within the past 6 months and would loved to have attended either...congrats on the scholarship at Syracuse.



its down to UB, CUSE and PITT ( order and rank changes by the hour). Im going to visit all three, compare my notes ( lol), and see what the final numbers are. I really really want cuse, but losing that scholarship would royally suck. I also can see myself at eith PITT or UB, but i cant make my mind up. Its a nice problem to have, as all three are very close to where i want to end up. ( if you can triangulate the schools- youll find the city of my dreams, lol). Sometimes i wish 2 out of 3 would have said no, then id be all set and have my place picked out. but then again, i like having this problem.


I would choose only between Pitt and Syracuse - both are well-recognized names. What is in Buffalo?

User avatar
wileyman02
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:55 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby wileyman02 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:48 pm

kartal wrote:
wileyman02 wrote:
nshapkar wrote:
northwood wrote:I saw that as well.. but it only made me confused since thats a decent sized gap. 2 tenths of a point is pretty big, especially if you have to maintain a 2.80. Im hoping that the curve is 3.0, ( which means the median grade is a 3.0 or B, correct?).

I think I will email them to double check. Its pretty important to know how well you have to do in order to keep the scholarship.


Haven't gone through all the posts in this forum, so if this was answered just saying my bad in advance.

I talked to a student who got into Catholic a few years ago on a large scholarship. The way catholic broke up in the incoming class into sections is, they made three regular sections and the fourth section was for all large scholarship recipients, this way half of them lost their scholarships at the end of their 1L. Do you know if this is a common practice among law schools, Syracuse included?

I know I got in, just waiting for my acceptance package (they mailed it out today). I think I have a shot at $$ considering Iceman got 20k and we have near identical #s (158 v. 157, 3.2 v. 3.19) I have the lower ones.

If anyone knows whether Syracuse does this as well (placing scholarship recipients in the same section) please let me know, because it would suck to pay sticker for 2L & 3L


WOW, that is one of the most f*cked up and ruthless things I have ever heard! Shame on Catholic if that really is how things are done there. That's like TTTT behavior. I don't think most schools engage in that sort of practice, but it's definitely important to find out all the details for each school because they all have different policies in place. Syracuse has a 3.0 GPA stipulation for keeping a scholarship. What does that mean though? Do they have a strict grading scale in place (i.e. only x% of the class get A's, x% have to get B's, etc)? Not all schools have policies in place that limit the number A's, B's, C's a professor can give out. Is the stipulated GPA difficult to maintain (regardless of grading scale)? It's all relative to each particular school. What percentage of students keep their scholarships?...Make sure you have all of those answers. I haven't followed up with 'Cuse yet, but I'll let you know what I find out. So far, Case Western seems the most generous: 2.8 to maintain full amount of your scholarship and a 2.6 to keep half of it. Then again, I don't know what a 2.8 at Case really means yet, haha.


Syracuse requires 2.8 GPA to retain your scholarship.


Here's a link to Syracuse's grading policy and grading curve: --LinkRemoved--.

kartal- just curious where you heard 2.8. My award letter says that retaining the scholarship is contingent on maintaining a 3.0. I realize GPA stipulations vary sometimes depending on the scholarship amount offered, so perhaps that's the case here.

User avatar
Iceman389
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: Syracuse 2011 applicants

Postby Iceman389 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:58 pm

I can confirm the 2.8 stipulation for some scholarships. The gpa requirement for mine is 2.8 as well.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, SevenSeven77 and 8 guests