Arizona State 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
istara

Bronze

Re: Arizona State 2011

Post by istara » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:47 pm

Veyron wrote: The schools are both better and worse than the rest of the country. Because of the charter school movement + open enrollment - work and effort = your kids go to an awsome school, being a lazy parent = your kids get screwed. You have to do a lot of research, you can't just take whatever school district you may happen to end up in.
This is probably the most accurate way to put it. There are good and bad charter/private schools and good and bad public schools. Do your research. The state takes its pro-charter philosophy to mean they don't have to care about the public schools because people have "options." As someone who works in a title 1 (poor) district, I could go on and on about what damage this is doing to the community, but I think I'll stop short on that one. We were also recently ranked 51st in education spending (behind Puerto Rico).

But I'll stop ranting now. At least this helps me solidify my desire to go to law school instead of staying trapped inside of a dying system that is in desperate need of a complete overhaul.

pre-law

New

Post by pre-law » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:50 pm

AngelAuthor wrote:
Capitol A wrote:Obviously we don't have snowboarding in phoenix, but there are 2 decent ski areas within a short drive. Surfing...You'll have to go to San Diego or Mexico, but that's not a long trip. You can do fishing at one of the many lakes within a short drive of Tempe, and maybe you'd like wakeboarding or surfing behind the boat? You may also like mountain biking which is hugely popular here, and a ton of fun.
While Phoenix is probably technically a "big city," the "urban" area is pretty small. Outside of there it's really more of a massive collection of suburbs. Very few people live more than a 30minute commute away from ASU, thanks to our freeway system.
As far as scenery...Thats a matter of personal preference. Some of the higher desert areas are not bad, but honestly, over all I find the desert to be really ugly, but it's easy to forget about that when it's 70 in February and I'm riding my bike in shorts and short sleeves, while my friends in the midwest are buried under 25ft of snow.
Gonna agree with this - I don't find the desert to be particularly beautiful, but of course, lots of people do. Also, having been born and raised in Los Angeles, I've found the last 8 years in Phoenix to be much like home (sans beaches). Core downtown, with a ton of suburbs surrounding it, and it's all within 30 minutes of the center.

I live on the ASU Poly campus in family housing and have since 2008 when I was an undergrad. The school has a free shuttle (big, huge tour buses with WiFi) to and from the law school on the Tempe campus which is an amazing convenience. So that's an option to consider, especially when you look at what gas prices are up to. The rent is cheap, the houses are ancient (old, military officer housing) but livable, but the campus is on the "edge" of the main part of Mesa and the desert "wilderness" is minutes away to the south and east if that's your thing.

You do come to greatly appreciate Phoenix in the winter (and people from back east never miss the opportunity to rub it in to their friends and family back home), but you will pay for it for about 3-4 months in the summer when they will surely return the favor.

Top Law Schools > Property class

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:53 pm

istara wrote:
Veyron wrote: The schools are both better and worse than the rest of the country. Because of the charter school movement + open enrollment - work and effort = your kids go to an awsome school, being a lazy parent = your kids get screwed. You have to do a lot of research, you can't just take whatever school district you may happen to end up in.
This is probably the most accurate way to put it. There are good and bad charter/private schools and good and bad public schools. Do your research. The state takes its pro-charter philosophy to mean they don't have to care about the public schools because people have "options." As someone who works in a title 1 (poor) district, I could go on and on about what damage this is doing to the community, but I think I'll stop short on that one. We were also recently ranked 51st in education spending (behind Puerto Rico).

But I'll stop ranting now. At least this helps me solidify my desire to go to law school instead of staying trapped inside of a dying system that is in desperate need of a complete overhaul.
From one dying profession to another?

AngelAuthor

New

Post by AngelAuthor » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:54 pm

pre-law wrote: Top Law Schools > Property class
LOL. Okay, I'm busted. :mrgreen:

istara

Bronze

Post by istara » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:54 pm

Veyron wrote: From one dying profession to another?
Yes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:56 pm

Veyron wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
Catering to myself more specifically, I am HUGELY into outdoors (hiking, fishing, snowboarding, surfing, diving, camping, motocross... pretty much everything) and am looking for a destination which offers some accommodation... sounds like Phoenix does
I don't like big city life, but wouldn't minding working in it as long as I can live somewhere on the outskirts ~ within 30min. commute. Natural beauty is also a big plus (I grew up in Maui and try to be realistic of what other places may offer, but I would like to live somewhere with nice scenery). Again, thank you for the info... I'd be selling my wife on Arizona, so I'm looking for some good pitches.
Obviously we don't have snowboarding in phoenix, but there are 2 decent ski areas within a short drive. Surfing...You'll have to go to San Diego or Mexico, but that's not a long trip. You can do fishing at one of the many lakes within a short drive of Tempe, and maybe you'd like wakeboarding or surfing behind the boat? You may also like mountain biking which is hugely popular here, and a ton of fun.
While Phoenix is probably technically a "big city," the "urban" area is pretty small. Outside of there it's really more of a massive collection of suburbs. Very few people live more than a 30minute commute away from ASU, thanks to our freeway system.
As far as scenery...Thats a matter of personal preference. Some of the higher desert areas are not bad, but honestly, over all I find the desert to be really ugly, but it's easy to forget about that when it's 70 in February and I'm riding my bike in shorts and short sleeves, while my friends in the midwest are buried under 25ft of snow.
Now me, personally, I can't stand trees. Rugged beauty FTW.
Easy for you to say now. You're living in PA, and missing AZ. Wait til you get back here this summer. You will be dying for the trees again.

haoledugan

Bronze

Post by haoledugan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:49 pm

What about the Flagstaff area (I'm now thinking post graduation)?

Flett

Bronze

Post by Flett » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:29 pm

Just got an acceptance email at 2:07 PST. :)
Admissions packet is apparently in the mail and will be received within a week.

Anyone else?

Redsgomarchingon

Bronze

Post by Redsgomarchingon » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:34 pm

accepted via email, 2:07PM

RD submitted late December

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:21 pm

Accepted via email! I hope I get the same scholarship offer from ASU as UofA (because I would much rather live in Phoenix than Tucson).

Redsgomarchingon

Bronze

Post by Redsgomarchingon » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:40 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:Accepted via email! I hope I get the same scholarship offer from ASU as UofA (because I would much rather live in Phoenix than Tucson).
what's the deal with scholarships for ASU? Do we find out in packet?

haoledugan

Bronze

Post by haoledugan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:53 pm

Redsgomarchingon wrote:
juliachild-ish wrote:Accepted via email! I hope I get the same scholarship offer from ASU as UofA (because I would much rather live in Phoenix than Tucson).
I think my scholly info came with my package (it had a lot of stuff... 3 ring binder).

sidhesadie

Bronze

Post by sidhesadie » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:40 am

Also in via email yesterday, will be interesting to see what's in the packet!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:12 pm

haoledugan wrote:What about the Flagstaff area (I'm now thinking post graduation)?
Flagstaff is pretty much your typical mountain/college town. Tons of outdoor stuff to do...hiking, fishing, skiing, the cycling is legendary, and there are some resort communities with private golf courses that are supposed to be really nice, but there's not much else. A lot of hippies there (and I don't mean smelly college kids with birkenstocks, I mean REAL hippies). For me personally, it's a nice place to go for a weekend, its really pretty scenery all year, gets cold in the winter of course, but not unbearable, but I would never live there. There a lot of people who absolutely love it though.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:15 pm

Redsgomarchingon wrote:
Congrats to everyone admitted recently. Scholarship is in an envelope inside one of the folders you will get with your very extensive packet.
If anyone is on the fence about ASU, I would definitely recommend a visit. There are a lot of exciting things going on with their program, and it seems like they do a really good job of helping you get an experience that is very tailored to your specific interests. I really hadn't even considered attending, just applied because I live in Phoenix, but after visiting it was truly a no brainer.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:28 pm

Does ASU provide a travel stipend or cover the cost of flight or hotel if you come visit from OOS?

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:44 pm

TommyK wrote:Does ASU provide a travel stipend or cover the cost of flight or hotel if you come visit from OOS?
It might be worth asking, but hotels are extremely expensive here during march, so they might not be able to cover all of it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AngelAuthor

New

Post by AngelAuthor » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:43 am

haoledugan wrote:What about the Flagstaff area (I'm now thinking post graduation)?
I told my wife from the beginning of law school that when I graduate, Flagstaff job offers get a 25% handicap over others in the Phoenix area. It's pretty much as Capitol A described it, which is to say it's as close to a "normal" climate as you're going to get in this state. Not too hot, not too cold, and pretty in a mountain sort of way.

haoledugan

Bronze

Post by haoledugan » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:26 pm

Thanks for the replies on Flagstaff. As for hippies.... We have more than our share out here on Maui ;). We just give them their space and don't feed them. lol.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:58 pm

I'm about the give up on ASU.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:15 am

kkklick wrote:I'm about the give up on ASU.
Don't do that. We all know they are super slow, and waiting sucks, but hang in there. It will be worth it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:31 am

+1. It's not so much the wait that I hate. But I have some other alluring offers that will need a decision in less than a month and I see no way of being able to go to Phoenix-area between now and decision deadline. For those of us who work and with airline travel becoming increasingly expensive with the rising oil prices, it's a super hassle and/or super expensive to try to come in and check the school out, regardless of our level of interest in the school.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:44 am

haoledugan wrote:Thanks for the replies on Flagstaff. As for hippies.... We have more than our share out here on Maui ;). We just give them their space and don't feed them. lol.
That's awesome.
Yeah, if you can handle the lifestyle/pace of HI, then you can handle Flagstaff. It's just the weather that may bother you.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:36 am

Capitol A wrote:
Don't do that. We all know they are super slow, and waiting sucks, but hang in there. It will be worth it.
I know I'm trying but,
TommyK wrote:
+1. It's not so much the wait that I hate. But I have some other alluring offers that will need a decision in less than a month and I see no way of being able to go to Phoenix-area between now and decision deadline. For those of us who work and with airline travel becoming increasingly expensive with the rising oil prices, it's a super hassle and/or super expensive to try to come in and check the school out, regardless of our level of interest in the school.
This.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:01 am

Yeah....I don't know what to say about that...I guess if you've got some solid offers that you will be happy with, and you aren't dying for ASU, then you have to make your decision. Maybe if ASU loses some good candidates because of their timetable of decision making, then they will fix it in the future. That being said, is there any reason to withdraw before getting a decision? Why not leave it out there and just see what happens. That way if they offer you a ton of $$$ you will still have it as an option.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”