Penn State 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
trayball23

Re: Penn State 2011 Applicants

Postby trayball23 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:37 pm

where should I livvvve

gewbert

Postby gewbert » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:19 pm

btnyegurl wrote:Still holding out on my waitlist from them, does anyone know how often they accept off their waitlist?

I got in last year off the waitlist around late May/early June-ish, and I think Dean Shively has said on several occasions that there's usually a great deal of waitlist activity over the summer. So hold on!

btnyegurl

Postby btnyegurl » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:48 pm

gewbert wrote:
btnyegurl wrote:Still holding out on my waitlist from them, does anyone know how often they accept off their waitlist?

I got in last year off the waitlist around late May/early June-ish, and I think Dean Shively has said on several occasions that there's usually a great deal of waitlist activity over the summer. So hold on!

Did you receive a scholarship with that acceptance?

gewbert

Postby gewbert » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:33 pm

No, sadly no financial aid. I was told there wasn't any money left.

btnyegurl

Postby btnyegurl » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:14 am

gewbert wrote:No, sadly no financial aid. I was told there wasn't any money left.

Crap

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:44 am

gewbert wrote:No, sadly no financial aid. I was told there wasn't any money left.

I doubt that's true... I withdrew last week. Theres 60k back in their pool...

Not going to Penn state was a really tough decision. I loved the carlisle campus!!
Good luck everyone!

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:28 pm

girlonfire wrote:

I doubt that's true... I withdrew last week. Theres 60k back in their pool...

Not going to Penn state was a really tough decision. I loved the carlisle campus!!
Good luck everyone!

They can probably offer scholarships to some waitlist students, but not all. Just because someone withdraws doesn't necessarily mean someone else gets offered a scholarship. The final 1L class will be about 220-250 people (I think) and there are a lot more people than that admitted. I would guess that they offer more scholarships than they really ever intend to have to pay out because they know many people who get scholarships will end up withdrawing anyway. The waitlist is a tough spot to be, so good luck to anyone who is waiting and I hope to see you at PSU in the fall!

JDHopeful

Postby JDHopeful » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:41 pm

FYI, I got $22k/yr and withdrew early last week.

emm

Postby emm » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:20 pm

withdrew
Last edited by emm on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ridore

Postby Ridore » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:03 am

Has anyone received confirmation that the school received their seat deposit? I emailed admissions and they told me that they send out a notification when they receive your seat deposit.

daly4889

Postby daly4889 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:41 am

I sent my deposit in late Wed last week and they posted on my status checker that they received my first deposit on Monday 4/4

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:41 pm

Ridore wrote:Has anyone received confirmation that the school received their seat deposit? I emailed admissions and they told me that they send out a notification when they receive your seat deposit.

I got an email confirming it. I sent mine on 3/29.

iluvkj

Postby iluvkj » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:18 pm

Ridore wrote:Has anyone received confirmation that the school received their seat deposit? I emailed admissions and they told me that they send out a notification when they receive your seat deposit.

I did not receive an email. It was noted on my psu status checker account.

Ridore

Postby Ridore » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:46 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have not gotten an email, but It shows they have received it in my status check.

Ridore

Postby Ridore » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:26 am

I was looking at off campus housing and was wondering if anyone had information on lionsgate and college park apartments.

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:22 pm

Ridore wrote:I was looking at off campus housing and was wondering if anyone had information on lionsgate and college park apartments.

I've heard Lionsgate is nice, but I decided to sign a lease with Nittany Gardens. From the people I've talked to in State College, Lionsgate seems to be a popular place for students (I'm not sure about law students specifically) to live. I haven't heard anything about College Park Apartments, though.

Ridore

Postby Ridore » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:48 am

jayman6 wrote:
Ridore wrote:I was looking at off campus housing and was wondering if anyone had information on lionsgate and college park apartments.

I've heard Lionsgate is nice, but I decided to sign a lease with Nittany Gardens. From the people I've talked to in State College, Lionsgate seems to be a popular place for students (I'm not sure about law students specifically) to live. I haven't heard anything about College Park Apartments, though.

Yea thats what I was thinking. The off campus housing that they give you is no different from undergrad. So whether i was surrounded by other law students was a question. Lionsgate andn college park looks great. I havent seen the nittany gardens so i'll have to check up on that.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:13 am

Ridore wrote:
jayman6 wrote:

Yea thats what I was thinking. The off campus housing that they give you is no different from undergrad. So whether i was surrounded by other law students was a question. Lionsgate andn college park looks great. I havent seen the nittany gardens so i'll have to check up on that.

I haven't seen the interior of any of these places, just what they show online. I know students who live all over town, so really it is up to you where you decide to live based on price and amenities. It's easy to get around town by bus or by car, so living near others isn't necessary for a social life. Some people live in these places that you have mentioned, and many others live in various apartments in houses, duplexes or smaller unites throughout town. If you want a smaller place with less units or an apartment in a house, Craigslist gets new listings pretty much every day and in every budget, so take a look there. As long as you have a good place to study, that is what matters. Also, there is 24/7 library access, so if you are easily distracted at home (like me) you can go to the library for some peace and quiet!

nepa

Postby nepa » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:30 am

The administration ended the Environmental Law Review. They did not inform the student body.

jpjpporter

Postby jpjpporter » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:25 pm

accepted today via e-mail! It is the highest ranked school I have gotten into so far but is it worth it to got to Penn State if I am from out West??

mtothelissa

Postby mtothelissa » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:28 pm

Does anyone know the chances of still being admitted if we missed the April 1st seat deposit deadline? I am trying to convince my friend to go with me, but he missed the date so I don't know if it'll be worth being pushy if he missed it. His numbers are good - autoadmit numbers, and he had a 90k scholarship offer.

Also, I am going to live in the White Course Apartments, anyone else heading that way?

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:36 pm

mtothelissa wrote:Does anyone know the chances of still being admitted if we missed the April 1st seat deposit deadline? I am trying to convince my friend to go with me, but he missed the date so I don't know if it'll be worth being pushy if he missed it. His numbers are good - autoadmit numbers, and he had a 90k scholarship offer.

Also, I am going to live in the White Course Apartments, anyone else heading that way?

I think Dean Shively posted about this already and said that they will try to accommodate students who miss the deposit if they are able. I don't want to speak for him, though, but if he was an autoadmit I would definitely tell him to call the admissions office and see if he can still send his deposit in and keep his seat.

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:38 pm

jpjpporter wrote:accepted today via e-mail! It is the highest ranked school I have gotten into so far but is it worth it to got to Penn State if I am from out West??

There are a lot of previous posts about why you should or shouldn't choose Penn State. I would say that if you definitely want to live out west, then you should go to school out west. It is definitely possible to go to Penn State and then work back out west, but it is much more difficult. If you aren't sure where you want to live or wouldn't mind ending up in Pennsylvania or on the east coast, I would definitely say you should look at Penn State. It's hard to say whether or not PSU is right for you. It all depends on what you're looking to gain from law school and where you want to live and practice in the future.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:10 pm

mtothelissa wrote:Does anyone know the chances of still being admitted if we missed the April 1st seat deposit deadline? I am trying to convince my friend to go with me, but he missed the date so I don't know if it'll be worth being pushy if he missed it. His numbers are good - autoadmit numbers, and he had a 90k scholarship offer.

I do not recommend this (I don't know any student who lives/lived in White Course and was happy with their choice). Just FYI.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:19 pm

The website says that deposits postmarked after the April 1st deadline are taken or not at the discretion of the Admission Committee. If he wants to try to secure his spot, he should probably send it soon or call them to see if they will accept it.

And how did he get a 90k scholarship offer when the highest award is around 60k total?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”