Penn State 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DocHawkeye

Re: Penn State 2011 Applicants

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:54 pm

Penn State is now ranked 60th in the new USNWR rankings. How do we feel about that?

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... ngs/page+3

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:13 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:Penn State is now ranked 60th in the new USNWR rankings. How do we feel about that?

I think it is a better reflection of PSU Law and I hope to see the climbing continue in the years to come.

Ghenghis Khan

Postby Ghenghis Khan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:31 am

DocHawkeye wrote:Penn State is now ranked 60th in the new USNWR rankings. How do we feel about that?

Penn State on the upward move, love it! Definitely glad to see this upward trend

rehtulx

Postby rehtulx » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:41 am

Now higher than Temple, Villanova, and Pitt? Hell yeah...say what you want about the merger with Penn State, the lay name recognition helps.

iluvkj

Postby iluvkj » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:48 am

Great!! :D

SunDevil07

Postby SunDevil07 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:35 pm

Pretty awesome! Props to Penn State Law!

ashrh01

Postby ashrh01 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:51 pm

withdrew today, best of luck to everyone and hopefully my scholarship will go to someone who needs it!

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:58 pm

+1

BHS

Postby BHS » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:13 pm

I just sent in my deposit yesterday, I really look forward to attending Penn State; however, I must have spent the entire week jumping from one campus to another....and I think that admissions must think Im insane they already know my name....anyway does anyone have any advice on which campus is better to attend???? Im completely stuck :/

brangara

Postby brangara » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:07 pm

BHS wrote:I just sent in my deposit yesterday, I really look forward to attending Penn State; however, I must have spent the entire week jumping from one campus to another....and I think that admissions must think Im insane they already know my name....anyway does anyone have any advice on which campus is better to attend???? Im completely stuck :/

I second this question. From what I understand, the University Park campus is the undergrad campus with the new law facility, and the Carlisle campus is the original law school, but I want to know more about the surrounding cities, housing, etc. (I'd be coming from California, so I really have no idea about either town.)

jthomas

Postby jthomas » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:02 pm

BHS wrote:
I just sent in my deposit yesterday, I really look forward to attending Penn State; however, I must have spent the entire week jumping from one campus to another....and I think that admissions must think Im insane they already know my name....anyway does anyone have any advice on which campus is better to attend???? Im completely stuck :/

I second this question. From what I understand, the University Park campus is the undergrad campus with the new law facility, and the Carlisle campus is the original law school, but I want to know more about the surrounding cities, housing, etc. (I'd be coming from California, so I really have no idea about either town.)

PSU grad here so I know vastly more about State College than Carlisle but I spent a decent amount of time around the law building asking about the other campus when I was an undergrad. There isn't a whole lot of difference between the two and it really is more of a preference item. If you want all the bonuses of being around a large undergrad institution (IE seeing beaver stadium from your building) the UPark is for you. If you want a smaller scene then probably Carlisle. At either campus they have fairly extensive video teleconference setups that allow not just for cross campus classes but also interviews. Penn State is State College and dominates the town. There are a number of apartments and homes to rent downtown on the opposite side of campus from the law building and also a lot on north and south on atherton street which runs through campus.If you guys have any more specific questions I'd be happy to answer them. I would never trade University Park for Carlisle but I guess some people want a more low key setting for law school.

BHS

Postby BHS » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:22 pm

jthomas wrote:
BHS wrote:

PSU grad here so I know vastly more about State College than Carlisle but I spent a decent amount of time around the law building asking about the other campus when I was an undergrad. There isn't a whole lot of difference between the two and it really is more of a preference item. If you want all the bonuses of being around a large undergrad institution (IE seeing beaver stadium from your building) the UPark is for you. If you want a smaller scene then probably Carlisle. At either campus they have fairly extensive video teleconference setups that allow not just for cross campus classes but also interviews. Penn State is State College and dominates the town. There are a number of apartments and homes to rent downtown on the opposite side of campus from the law building and also a lot on north and south on atherton street which runs through campus.If you guys have any more specific questions I'd be happy to answer them. I would never trade University Park for Carlisle but I guess some people want a more low key setting for law school.

Thanks :) I think im going with UP...im from New York City im not into low key settings lol

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:39 pm

BHS wrote:
jthomas wrote:
BHS wrote:

Thanks :) I think im going with UP...im from New York City im not into low key settings lol

You will still find UP to be quite a change of pace from NYC, but from what I know it is a bit more lively. Both campuses have great new facilities and awesome faculty so you really can't go wrong. If you are interested in state government, the proximity of Carlisle to Harrisburg may be an advantage. If you are interested in a joint degree program, UP may be the right choice. Anyone who has a specific inquiry about which campus may be better for them can PM me if they would like some personal feedback.

BHS

Postby BHS » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:21 pm

Thank you sooo much for the help :), now my only issue is finding somewhere to live, unfortunately everything is rented out and i decided on penn too late soo....I'm looking everywhere! If anyone wants/needs a roomate let me know I would much rather rent a nice house with three other people then reside in a lonely ugly apartment alone!

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:38 pm

BHS wrote:Thank you sooo much for the help :), now my only issue is finding somewhere to live, unfortunately everything is rented out and i decided on penn too late soo....I'm looking everywhere! If anyone wants/needs a roomate let me know I would much rather rent a nice house with three other people then reside in a lonely ugly apartment alone!

Make sure to keep checking craigslist...I assure you that everything is not rented out yet. Just be diligent in searching! Good luck!

BruceBarr

Postby BruceBarr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:49 pm

brangara wrote:
BHS wrote:I just sent in my deposit yesterday, I really look forward to attending Penn State; however, I must have spent the entire week jumping from one campus to another....and I think that admissions must think Im insane they already know my name....anyway does anyone have any advice on which campus is better to attend???? Im completely stuck :/

I go to the UP park campus. It's pretty simple really: If you plan on being social, drinking, going out, partying, etc.: go to UP. If you plan on studying and only studying, go to either. Carlisle is quiet and you only have 1/4 of the number of kids there. I came from a big UG school and wanted to be in a social environment. I spend my Fridays out at the bars and Saturdays hanging out, getting great food, etc. In Carlisle, your options are limited.

Carlisle has a small-town, small-college feel. UP has a big ten feel.

Joeshaeff

Postby Joeshaeff » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:51 am

brangara wrote:

I came from CA last year too. If you want the big campus feel go to UP. I don't know much about the other campus, save my one trip there, but I enjoy the UP campus and the surrounding area. One bad thing is you won't find any decent Mexican food, but I doubt they have that down in Carlisle either. Another is housing is a bit hard to find. I would suggest not living at White Course (the campus graduate housing), you can find much better places for cheaper then there. I found my place in early August though Craigslist and it has worked out well. I would suggest maybe seeing who else in your 1 L class is looking for a housemate and finding a place, or just joining a house/apartment with 2 or 3Ls looking for someone. Living with 2/3Ls does have advantages because they can tell you what to expect from classes, mine even gave me some outlines.

burnerclassic

Postby burnerclassic » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:32 pm

Joeshaeff wrote:
brangara wrote:

I came from CA last year too. If you want the big campus feel go to UP. I don't know much about the other campus, save my one trip there, but I enjoy the UP campus and the surrounding area. One bad thing is you won't find any decent Mexican food, but I doubt they have that down in Carlisle either. Another is housing is a bit hard to find. I would suggest not living at White Course (the campus graduate housing), you can find much better places for cheaper then there. I found my place in early August though Craigslist and it has worked out well. I would suggest maybe seeing who else in your 1 L class is looking for a housemate and finding a place, or just joining a house/apartment with 2 or 3Ls looking for someone. Living with 2/3Ls does have advantages because they can tell you what to expect from classes, mine even gave me some outlines.

As someone admitted from OOS in the south, it's good to hear there are some people from different, non-snowy areas :) . As someone from a warm-weather climate (and quite unfamiliar with life consistently below 20 degrees Fahrenheit), I've been a bit concerned about adjusting to some of the day-to-day things about life at PSU-University Park. Things like: digging your car out of snow, driving on snowy/icy roads, the best area to live as a law student in State College, etc. Has this been a big adjustment to make? Any pointers or things to consider?

This post may reveal my naivete on what people deal in the northeast deal with everyday, but alas, it's one of the things on my "CONS" list.

Thanks for any input in advance. I'm attempting to finalize my decision on Penn State by the end of this week - I appreciate any insight.

Joeshaeff

Postby Joeshaeff » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:00 pm

burnerclassic wrote:
Joeshaeff wrote:
brangara wrote:

As someone admitted from OOS in the south, it's good to hear there are some people from different, non-snowy areas :) . As someone from a warm-weather climate (and quite unfamiliar with life consistently below 20 degrees Fahrenheit), I've been a bit concerned about adjusting to some of the day-to-day things about life at PSU-University Park. Things like: digging your car out of snow, driving on snowy/icy roads, the best area to live as a law student in State College, etc. Has this been a big adjustment to make? Any pointers or things to consider?

This post may reveal my naivete on what people deal in the northeast deal with everyday, but alas, it's one of the things on my "CONS" list.

Thanks for any input in advance. I'm attempting to finalize my decision on Penn State by the end of this week - I appreciate any insight.

Adjusting to the cold was not all that bad, 4 wheel drive would def. help for the snow if you plan on traveling a lot outside of State College on the roads, but in State College they clear the roads pretty quick. If you live in an apartment complex the snow in the parking areas will be removed by them as well. If you need any other advice for adjusting, just ask. I find that the people here are more than happy to help (but they might chuckle about it a bit) I would also suggest getting boots and a decent winter coat/jacket and a scarf (I had never worn one before I came here) and an ice scraper for your windshield.

Don't worry about being the only one from a warm location, there will be a lot of people who will be making the same adjustment you are. There are 5 Californians in my section (all 1L are assigned their classes in a section and you will have 4/5 classes with the same people) and others from Texas, Florida, and Arizona to name a few who also made the adjustment.

Good luck with your decision!

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:38 am

Are any admitted students attending the Open House this weekend?

brangara

Postby brangara » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:40 am

jbarl1 wrote:Are any admitted students attending the Open House this weekend?

I am! :) Coming all the way from California!

akak179

Postby akak179 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:51 am

I should be there

BHS

Postby BHS » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:19 pm

I will be there :)

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:54 pm

I'd like to come, but can't make it this weekend. I visited the LS back in October and really liked it. I sent in my deposit though and plan to attend. It would have been nice to come and meet some of the other students who will be attending, but I guess I'll just meet you all at orientation. If you haven't visited the LS yet, you're in for a treat. The building is wonderful.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:58 pm

I am withdrawing. If someone on the waitlist wants to pay full tuition be my guest. Best of luck guys, wish I could have joined you.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”