Penn State 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kkklick

Re: Penn State 2011 Applicants

Postby kkklick » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:41 pm

Will likely be withdrawing all my US apps in light of the fact that I was accepted in Canada, that includes Penn State and the 60K scholly. Good luck to the rest of you.

Sarahblack06

Postby Sarahblack06 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:00 am

Accepted to UP campus. Am about 90% sure I will be attending, mostly because of the duel degree program in educational policy. And I have been visiting State College for the last five years and love the city. Any feedback on why others are choosing Penn State?

sm2006

Postby sm2006 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:11 am

Accepted a week after completing my application. I wish all schools were this fast.

jthomas

Postby jthomas » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:57 pm

Withdrew earlier in the week and boy was it painful to do so. Went to PSU for undergrad and they offered me good scholarship money, but much better offers couldn't be turned away. Congrats to those accepted.... I'm extremely jealous you get to spend the next 3 years in happy valley overlooking beaver stadium. If anyone has any question about where to live, eat, what bars to go to, etc I'd be happy to help.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:57 pm

jthomas wrote:Withdrew earlier in the week and boy was it painful to do so. Went to PSU for undergrad and they offered me good scholarship money, but much better offers couldn't be turned away. Congrats to those accepted.... I'm extremely jealous you get to spend the next 3 years in happy valley overlooking beaver stadium. If anyone has any question about where to live, eat, what bars to go to, etc I'd be happy to help.

Looks like I'll be withdrawing as well, had heard good things about the school/campus and such, really is a shame.

rehtulx

Postby rehtulx » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:53 am

Can students switch between campuses? I originally applied for the Carlisle campus, as my wife is a Dickinson alum, but she is interested now in attending grad school at one of the programs in UP. Also, I will be transferring to the PA National Guard if I'm admitted, and the unit I will be attached to is much closer to UP.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:55 am

rehtulx wrote:Can students switch between campuses? I originally applied for the Carlisle campus, as my wife is a Dickinson alum, but she is interested now in attending grad school at one of the programs in UP. Also, I will be transferring to the PA National Guard if I'm admitted, and the unit I will be attached to is much closer to UP.

Contact them and ask for your location to be switched. I don't think it will be a problem.

ash8309

Postby ash8309 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:49 pm

This may have been addressed earlier, but I was thrilled to be admitted into Penn State and even more thrilled to receive a nice scholarship offer. However, I've received better scholarships from similar-ranked schools. Like most of us, financial component is a huge variable in my decision. Is Penn State open to scholarship negotiation?

PSULawAdmissionsDean

Postby PSULawAdmissionsDean » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:42 pm

ash8309 wrote:This may have been addressed earlier, but I was thrilled to be admitted into Penn State and even more thrilled to receive a nice scholarship offer. However, I've received better scholarships from similar-ranked schools. Like most of us, financial component is a huge variable in my decision. Is Penn State open to scholarship negotiation?

Finances are appropriately an important part of any decision involving such a major investment. Still there are a number of factors which might determine whether a school is best equipped to facilitate your future success. The "cheapest" school is clearly not always the "best" school for any particular applicant. So, while I am certainly willing to discuss with any admitted student whether an adjustment to their scholarship award/financial aid package is appropriate, I encourage you to consider all of the factors which might impact your accomplishing future goals.

Typically to begin a conversation on this subject I encourage admitted students to submit copies of any other offers they believe to be relevant to this question directly to me at rjs48@psu.edu. Obviously, if you received an offer of admission we'd like for you to attend but we are not in a position to offer every admitted student a scholarship. You shouldn't be offended if you don't receive as much money as you'd like. It's not an indication of how much we'd like for you to attend. There are ways to finance your education which we are happy to help you figure out. At the end of the day nearly all law students will have to fund a big chunk of their education through loans. It is an unfortunate reality of today's legal education landscape.

We want to make finances a non-issue in this decision, if we can. But you should know that our highest award is around $20,000 per year. Although in certain circumstances we've offered a little more, usually to Pennsylvania residents.

If anyone has additional questions on this topic, please feel free to contact me directly.

Jay Shively
Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid
Penn State Law
(814) 867-0398
rjs48@psu.edu or
jayshively@psu.edu

Peg

Postby Peg » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:17 am

I've just withdrawn my spot (was accepted a while ago), so I hope it goes to a TLSer on the waitlist or still waiting for a decision. Good luck all!

SFnative

Postby SFnative » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:47 am

Has anybody on the wait-list sent a LOCI yet, or is it too early?

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:01 am

PSULawAdmissionsDean wrote:
ash8309 wrote:This may have been addressed earlier, but I was thrilled to be admitted into Penn State and even more thrilled to receive a nice scholarship offer. However, I've received better scholarships from similar-ranked schools. Like most of us, financial component is a huge variable in my decision. Is Penn State open to scholarship negotiation?

Finances are appropriately an important part of any decision involving such a major investment. Still there are a number of factors which might determine whether a school is best equipped to facilitate your future success. The "cheapest" school is clearly not always the "best" school for any particular applicant. So, while I am certainly willing to discuss with any admitted student whether an adjustment to their scholarship award/financial aid package is appropriate, I encourage you to consider all of the factors which might impact your accomplishing future goals.

Typically to begin a conversation on this subject I encourage admitted students to submit copies of any other offers they believe to be relevant to this question directly to me at rjs48@psu.edu. Obviously, if you received an offer of admission we'd like for you to attend but we are not in a position to offer every admitted student a scholarship. You shouldn't be offended if you don't receive as much money as you'd like. It's not an indication of how much we'd like for you to attend. There are ways to finance your education which we are happy to help you figure out. At the end of the day nearly all law students will have to fund a big chunk of their education through loans. It is an unfortunate reality of today's legal education landscape.

We want to make finances a non-issue in this decision, if we can. But you should know that our highest award is around $20,000 per year. Although in certain circumstances we've offered a little more, usually to Pennsylvania residents.

If anyone has additional questions on this topic, please feel free to contact me directly.

Jay Shively
Penn State Law
(814) 867-0398
rjs48@psu.edu or
jayshively@psu.edu

Dean Shively,

I noticed need-based grants are sometimes included in an aid package. Is it posible to get a substantial need-based grant? When do we find out if we are eligible for those? Thank you!

PSULawAdmissionsDean

Postby PSULawAdmissionsDean » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:44 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
PSULawAdmissionsDean wrote:

Jay Shively
Penn State Law
(814) 867-0398
rjs48@psu.edu or
jayshively@psu.edu

Dean Shively,

I noticed need-based grants are sometimes included in an aid package. Is it posible to get a substantial need-based grant? When do we find out if we are eligible for those? Thank you!

\

I'd hate to characterize need based grants as insignificant, but typically need based grants are not going to cover a large share of the cost of attendance. There currently is a relatively modest budget for need based grants and lots of worthy recipients. We try to provide the most needy with some assistance. Need based grant awards range generally from $1,000 to as much as $7,500. Still you shouldn't expect that need based grants are going to cover a large part of your financial obligation for law school.

Jay Shively
Penn State Law

Velvetvoice06

Postby Velvetvoice06 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:14 pm

Is there a Facebook group yet?!
I'd love to start searching for a roommate and housing!

PSULawAdmissionsDean

Postby PSULawAdmissionsDean » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:31 am

Velvetvoice06 wrote:Is there a Facebook group yet?!

You can find the Class of 2014 FB Group on the Penn State Law FB Page.

iluvkj

Postby iluvkj » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:29 pm

Just received the email! I'm so happy :D

Complete 3/4
Decision 3/11
Last edited by iluvkj on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SunDevil07

Postby SunDevil07 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:41 pm

iluvkj wrote:Just received the email! I'm so happy :D

Congrats! Would love to hear some good news today also, though I've only been in review for a month. Penn State Law is such an awesome school, I would be thrilled to get in.

iluvkj

Postby iluvkj » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:45 pm

SunDevil07 wrote:
iluvkj wrote:Just received the email! I'm so happy :D

Congrats! Would love to hear some good news today also, though I've only been in review for a month. Penn State Law is such an awesome school, I would be thrilled to get in.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you :D

PSULawAdmissionsDean

Postby PSULawAdmissionsDean » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:38 am

Velvetvoice06 wrote:Is there a Facebook group yet?!

Facebook makes it challenging to find the Group. The easiest way to access it is through the Admitted Students page you received information about in your admission email and packet.

Jay Shively
Penn State Law

Velvetvoice06

Postby Velvetvoice06 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:40 pm

Found It!

Thanks!

Velvetvoice06

Postby Velvetvoice06 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:45 pm

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 51156&ap=1

Here's the link for the Class of 2014 Facebook page just in case anyone else was lost :)

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:14 pm

Hey guys, I just applied to Penn State last week but I have not gotten an e-mail conformation / notice regarding my application. How long should I wait for something?

P.S, I would love to go to this school, hopefully I will be celebrating with some of you guys soon!

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:13 pm

Withdrew my application. Hope my spot and $$ goes to one of you waiting. :-)

iluvkj

Postby iluvkj » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:03 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:Hey guys, I just applied to Penn State last week but I have not gotten an e-mail conformation / notice regarding my application. How long should I wait for something?

P.S, I would love to go to this school, hopefully I will be celebrating with some of you guys soon!

Not sure how it worked for everyone else, but my app was transmitted on 2/21 and I received the email with the status checker on 2/22...so perhaps send an email?

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:25 pm

Congrats to all those recently admitted!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”