Penn State 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DocHawkeye

Re: Penn State 2011 Applicants

Postby DocHawkeye » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:12 am

I was accepted via email last Friday but according to my stsus checker, the letter wasn't actually mailed until yesterday. I hope it comes soon, though.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:23 am

withdrew from the waitlist... best of luck everyone

mez06

Postby mez06 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:06 pm

Withdrew and hope the 20k a year goes to a TLSer! Good luck everyone :D

squirrelgirl

Postby squirrelgirl » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:09 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
TJISMYHERO wrote:Has anyone who had their packet sent out on 1/20 received it yet? I have not.

I haven't received mine yet either. I didn't know it would take over a week for something to get from PA to NC.

I live in Pennsylvania and haven't received mine yet. Something tells me they didn't actually get mailed on 1/20.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:40 pm

Damn I love Penn State, but I got no money. I know my status aren't great, but I was hoping for money. I am filling out the Fafsa and other financial aid docs for schools. I hope someone gives me a need-based grant or something.

lawschool12345

Postby lawschool12345 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:26 pm

10 k a year schooly, dunno thats not a lot with 60k a year tuition..

PSULawAdmissionsDean

Postby PSULawAdmissionsDean » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:42 pm

UtahPhi wrote:Dean Shively,

I have been accepted but not yet received my admissions packet. In terms of reimbursement for travel expenses I was wondering what your policies were regarding that. I live in Utah so my travel costs would be somewhat larger than those on the east coast. Additionally, I was wondering how far in advance I would need to submit travel plans in order for them to be approved. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I don't need much notice to pre-approve your travel stipend. I just really need to know when you are planning to visit campus to make sure we can marshall resources to provide you a meaningful experience. The preapproval process is simply meant to avoid reimbursing someone who drives through on their way to somewhere else on a Sunday afternoon when nobody is around to meet them. Of course, I'll use common sense and courtesy in granting the travel subsidies.

Last year we increased our travel subsidy to $300 and a night's stay at a hotel to accommodate as many folks as possible. The costs are reimbursed so if someone is driving from Philly they might not qualify for as much reimbursement as someone flying from California. Unfortunately, it may not cover the entire cost of a visit for everyone but I hope it will still be helpful. I should say we have a limited budget for this perk and there is the possiblity that the money could run out (even though we didn't use all the funds last year). Let me know what other questions you may have.

RJS

PSULawAdmissionsDean

Postby PSULawAdmissionsDean » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:46 pm

lawschool12345 wrote:10 k a year schooly, dunno thats not a lot with 60k a year tuition..

For the record tuition is $35, 928. I think the poster may have been referring to cost of attendance which for the University Park campus is $59,116.

RJS

lawschool12345

Postby lawschool12345 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:01 pm

yes i was adding in col, coming from nyc, i would need to live down there.

i definitely want to come check out the campus and the atmosphere before i make any decisions so i think i will be coming down to the campus on ASW

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:06 pm

PSULawAdmissionsDean wrote:
lawschool12345 wrote:10 k a year schooly, dunno thats not a lot with 60k a year tuition..

For the record tuition is $35, 928. I think the poster may have been referring to cost of attendance which for the University Park campus is $59,116.

RJS

Is there any hope of getting a scholarship if one did not receive one initially? My later said something about the possibility of that happening. I still have to fill out my need-based information. I have quite a large amount of undergrad loans, so I was really bummed when I got my packet. I can't attend unless something changes. Thanks!

Dippy

Postby Dippy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:51 pm

Got my packet today, 10k a year which is okay I guess. However, I also got into Temple just a few days ago and that in-state tuition is hard to ignore.

I went to Temple for undergrad though and I'm not sure if I can handle three more years of North Philly.

JDHopeful

Postby JDHopeful » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:22 pm

Dippy wrote:Got my packet today, 10k a year which is okay I guess. However, I also got into Temple just a few days ago and that in-state tuition is hard to ignore.

I went to Temple for undergrad though and I'm not sure if I can handle three more years of North Philly.

What are your stats?

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:54 pm

Got my admit packet today. 15k/year. Top half stip. 165/3.45/non URM

nepa

Postby nepa » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:39 am

Do yourselves a favor and do not live in Whitecourse Apartments (on-campus graduate housing). The rooms are very small (8'x12') and the noise travels through the walls. You will have limited privacy. It also costs $720 per month. If you don't believe me, see how many people live there their 2L year. The investment in time you put in looking for housing will pay off tenfold.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:03 am

nepa wrote:Do yourselves a favor and do not live in Whitecourse Apartments (on-campus graduate housing). The rooms are very small (8'x12') and the noise travels through the walls. You will have limited privacy. It also costs $720 per month. If you don't believe me, see how many people live there their 2L year. The investment in time you put in looking for housing will pay off tenfold.

I live in one of the one bedroom apartments in Whitecourse, and I agree completely. If you want help finding housing you can PM me with what you are looking to spend and I can recommend some places.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:06 am

In with only 10k. I'll be withdrawing Monday

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:24 pm

I have been accepted but not yet received my admissions packet. In terms of reimbursement for travel expenses I was wondering what your policies were regarding that. I live in Utah so my travel costs would be somewhat larger than those on the east coast. Additionally, I was wondering how far in advance I would need to submit travel plans in order for them to be approved. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I don't need much notice to pre-approve your travel stipend. I just really need to know when you are planning to visit campus to make sure we can marshall resources to provide you a meaningful experience. The preapproval process is simply meant to avoid reimbursing someone who drives through on their way to somewhere else on a Sunday afternoon when nobody is around to meet them. Of course, I'll use common sense and courtesy in granting the travel subsidies.

Last year we increased our travel subsidy to $300 and a night's stay at a hotel to accommodate as many folks as possible. The costs are reimbursed so if someone is driving from Philly they might not qualify for as much reimbursement as someone flying from California. Unfortunately, it may not cover the entire cost of a visit for everyone but I hope it will still be helpful. I should say we have a limited budget for this perk and there is the possiblity that the money could run out (even though we didn't use all the funds last year). Let me know what other questions you may have.

RJS

I'm slightly confused by the process. If I am approved for the travel subsidy, will your office make hotel arrangements or would I make them and then be reimbursed? Is there a limit to the hotel cost you would allow for?

deliriousxix

Postby deliriousxix » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:36 pm

Stonewall wrote:In with only 10k. I'll be withdrawing Monday

numbers?

miazdc

Postby miazdc » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:59 pm

My admit letter had a 15k/year scholarship and said something to the effect that this was the maximum scholarship available, since I'm out of state. However, it appears on LSN and elsewhere that other people have gotten more, who are not from PA. Can anyone confirm- is it possible to be awarded more than 45k total if you're out of state? I'm very interested in PSU, but higher ranked schools have awarded me significantly more money.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:50 pm

miazdc wrote:My admit letter had a 15k/year scholarship and said something to the effect that this was the maximum scholarship available, since I'm out of state. However, it appears on LSN and elsewhere that other people have gotten more, who are not from PA. Can anyone confirm- is it possible to be awarded more than 45k total if you're out of state? I'm very interested in PSU, but higher ranked schools have awarded me significantly more money.

If you look on the previous page of this thread you will see where Dean Shively specifically addressed this question....

"Also we award scholarships based on predetermined criteria designed to maintain consistency. Our highest award for merit scholarships (based on LSAT/GPA) is $60,000 for the three years of law school. We have decided this year to add an additional $5,000 per year for certain special cases one of which is Pennsylvania residency.

Generally, if you are admitted and both of your numberical indicators are above our medians you might expect an award near the $20,000/year. If you have the LSAT but not the GPA, you should expect a lesser award.

In regard to scholarships we want to remain competitive financially with schools we consider to be peer institutions. If you are interested in Penn State Law, but feel our award is not as attractive as another offer you've received, feel free to email me directly. Typically, I will ask you to provide scanned copies of your other offers to determine whether we are in a position to adjust your offer. We are not always in a position to do so."

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:45 pm

In with 10k, check profile for #'s.

PSULawAdmissionsDean

Postby PSULawAdmissionsDean » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:45 pm

jaydizzle wrote:

RJS

Is there any hope of getting a scholarship if one did not receive one initially? My later said something about the possibility of that happening. I still have to fill out my need-based information. I have quite a large amount of undergrad loans, so I was really bummed when I got my packet. I can't attend unless something changes. Thanks!

There is some chance of receiving money later in the cycle, but it really depends on who accepts their initial offer and what the overall pool looks like. As I've advised earlier, please let us know if we're a top school for you and whether another school is rising to the top through a scholarship offer we might want to try to match. We are not always in a position to match, but occasionally we are.

RJS

PSULawAdmissionsDean

Postby PSULawAdmissionsDean » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:50 pm

jayman6 wrote:

Thanks!

RJS

I'm slightly confused by the process. If I am approved for the travel subsidy, will your office make hotel arrangements or would I make them and then be reimbursed? Is there a limit to the hotel cost you would allow for?

With adequate notice we can make the reservation for you. We generally cover the cost of a hotel up to the university rate at the Nittany Lion Inn or the Penn Stater. Last year this was about $100 plus tax, but honestly I haven't checked the rate yet this year.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:39 pm

Is there any hope for a scholarship, or acceptance for that matter, with a low end lsat and well above 75th percentile gpa? How important are the supplementary materials and resume?

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:42 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:Is there any hope for a scholarship, or acceptance for that matter, with a low end lsat and well above 75th percentile gpa? How important are the supplementary materials and resume?

I was way under the 25th for the LSAT, but way over the 75th for GPA. I did not get a scholarship though. I am going to evaluate what other schools give me and let PSU know as soon as I find out.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”