Penn State 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jbarl1

Re: Penn State 2011 Applicants

Postby jbarl1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:13 pm

ran12 wrote:
NicRen wrote:In via email. Assigned to Carlisle (per the box I checked). 162/2.91(extreme upward trend).

Anybody have any experience with both campuses and the ability/willingness to list any significant differences before I schedule my visits?

UP is the main Penn St campus so has over 50,000 UG students plus however many grad students. It's a nice little college town. Carlisle is a small town but that campus would only have law students but Dickinson College is next door. Even with them there though, it's a lot quieter so better environment for school. Carlisle is also close to Harrisburg, the capital, and a couple hours from NY and DC. If you want the Penn St experience to the max UP is the right campus but if you wanna make connections at the capital and have a quieter setting then Carlisle is the right campus.

Not to insult anyone at UP but I feel that if you're really serious about being a lawyer, Carlisle is the right choice. There's no distractions, there's actually more to do b/c of Harrisburg nearby, and it's a lot better for making connections. In case people don't realize this yet, the vast, vast majority of Penn St grads are gonna have to do their own legwork to get a job. If you wanna experience Penn St football and that kind of stuff, you can always drive up for a game once in a while but this is law school, not UG anymore. Time to get serious.

As a Penn State Law Student who just received finals grades that landed her in the top 5%, I disagree. There are not a lot of distractions at the school because it is kind of separated from the rest of the campus. Also, a lot of faculty are housed at the main UP campus, so it is nice to have access to them. Also, there is more networking between students because the class size at UP is larger. Carlisle does have the advantage of proximity to Harrisburg, but many students from UP make the drive down that way often. I am not at all against Carlisle, but there are definitely advantages to either campus and students choosing one or the other shouldn't worry that they are at a disadvantage in terms of becoming a serious lawyer. There are a lot of things to weigh when choosing between the campuses, so if anyone has any questions let me know.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:17 pm

I'm thinking of applying to Penn State just for the hell of it. :lol:

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:58 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
northwood wrote:Congrats to all that got in! Hopefully I will be able to join the accepted party!
Still under review as of 11/16. with a 158 3.53 looks like i will be on the outside looking in for a bit- or maybe its a nice way to say try again the next time around. Congrats to all that heard back so fast!

I am starting to think I will never actually get a decision. Still "Under Review" since 11/16.

+1.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:02 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
ran12 wrote:
NicRen wrote:In via email. Assigned to Carlisle (per the box I checked). 162/2.91(extreme upward trend).

Anybody have any experience with both campuses and the ability/willingness to list any significant differences before I schedule my visits?

UP is the main Penn St campus so has over 50,000 UG students plus however many grad students. It's a nice little college town. Carlisle is a small town but that campus would only have law students but Dickinson College is next door. Even with them there though, it's a lot quieter so better environment for school. Carlisle is also close to Harrisburg, the capital, and a couple hours from NY and DC. If you want the Penn St experience to the max UP is the right campus but if you wanna make connections at the capital and have a quieter setting then Carlisle is the right campus.

Not to insult anyone at UP but I feel that if you're really serious about being a lawyer, Carlisle is the right choice. There's no distractions, there's actually more to do b/c of Harrisburg nearby, and it's a lot better for making connections. In case people don't realize this yet, the vast, vast majority of Penn St grads are gonna have to do their own legwork to get a job. If you wanna experience Penn St football and that kind of stuff, you can always drive up for a game once in a while but this is law school, not UG anymore. Time to get serious.

As a Penn State Law Student who just received finals grades that landed her in the top 5%, I disagree. There are not a lot of distractions at the school because it is kind of separated from the rest of the campus. Also, a lot of faculty are housed at the main UP campus, so it is nice to have access to them. Also, there is more networking between students because the class size at UP is larger. Carlisle does have the advantage of proximity to Harrisburg, but many students from UP make the drive down that way often. I am not at all against Carlisle, but there are definitely advantages to either campus and students choosing one or the other shouldn't worry that they are at a disadvantage in terms of becoming a serious lawyer. There are a lot of things to weigh when choosing between the campuses, so if anyone has any questions let me know.

Congrats on doin so fantastic this semester!!!!!

haleydee

Postby haleydee » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:17 pm

just got in via email, had been UR since 11/2

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:18 pm

northwood wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:
ran12 wrote:

Congrats on doin so fantastic this semester!!!!!

Thanks! TLS helped a lot!

rockyIV

Postby rockyIV » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:38 pm

went UR 1/11 and got the acceptance e-mail today, I was complete since 11/18 (161 3.5)
took a really long time to go under review but a few days to give me a decision, I got into a reach school so I wont be attending but good luck to all, I have heard it is really nice at both campuses

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:51 pm

When are these packages coming out?

Peekay80

Postby Peekay80 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:14 pm

In as of today. My acceptances are slowly moving East. Depaul, then Cincinnati, then Pitt, and now PSU. Okay, Villanova, don't break my chain.

Oh, and UP campus for me.

NicRen

Postby NicRen » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:16 pm

rockyIV wrote:went UR 1/11 and got the acceptance e-mail today, I was complete since 11/18 (161 3.5)
took a really long time to go under review but a few days to give me a decision, I got into a reach school so I wont be attending but good luck to all, I have heard it is really nice at both campuses

Please be sure to withdraw your app before they decide how much scholarship money to give the rest of us who are seriously considering. :mrgreen:

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:23 pm

NicRen wrote:
rockyIV wrote:went UR 1/11 and got the acceptance e-mail today, I was complete since 11/18 (161 3.5)

Please be sure to withdraw your app before they decide how much scholarship money to give the rest of us who are seriously considering. :mrgreen:

+1

hurricane10

Postby hurricane10 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:52 pm

FWIW, on my status checker it says that my decision letter was mailed today... accepted in mid-December. I had them send my info to my parents State College address so maybe I'll get it tomorrow but if not probably Tuesday.

Cmart050

Postby Cmart050 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:49 pm

Accepted the same time as hurricane10, 2.9/166, doubt a scholarship but will be withdrawing soon anyways to hopefully make room for someone else.

clintone88

Postby clintone88 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:10 am

In today, well pending me telling them which campus I want to be at since I didn't select one in the app (oops). I selected UP because I didn't really know but after reading this maybe I should send them another email and say I changed my mind, they told me I could up until matriculation as long as there is room. They said that once I tell them they will send off an official acceptance package with scholarship info. Applied 12/11 fwiw

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:01 am

So, seriously... where does Penn State place well?

lawschool12345

Postby lawschool12345 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:55 am

in at university park

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:48 pm

just opened my email, and there was a email from admissions. Title of Email said Congratulation on your acceptance! Got all excited trying to figure out what law school it was from, and hoping it was from penn state, or villanova ( been underreview the longest), but glad that I got one, only to hurridly and excitedly open it and find out............................................

it was from California School of Law. :cry: :( :| :oops:

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:43 pm

Packets should be coming soon. Check your status checkers. Mine says my decision letter was mailed 1/14/11.

Chouchous

Postby Chouchous » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:26 pm

my status checker still only says 'decision email', no package on the way yet :(

NicRen

Postby NicRen » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:47 pm

kk19131 wrote:So, seriously... where does Penn State place well?

Why are you so unhappy with your own prospects that you need to go into a thread for a school you didn't even apply to and be an ass?

Not satisfied with the minimal amount of attention you're getting in the threads for the schools you did apply to?

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:00 pm

I wouldn't select this school over Temple, Nova, or Rutgers-C if you want to practice in Philly.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:14 pm

I think I f*cked up with this school. Should I write up a separate "why psu PS?" and email it in? I sent my app a week ago--I just wanted to get it out asap.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:41 pm

NicRen wrote:

Why are you so unhappy with your own prospects that you need to go into a thread for a school you didn't even apply to and be an ass?

Not satisfied with the minimal amount of attention you're getting in the threads for the schools you did apply to?

That's not at all the case.

I'm still considering applying to Penn State. I simply want to know where in the world this school places its graduates - seeing how it's in the center of the middle of nowhere.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:56 pm

kk19131 wrote:
NicRen wrote:

I'm still considering applying to Penn State. I simply want to know where in the world this school places its graduates - seeing how it's in the center of the middle of nowhere.

Obviously it places in the Harrisburg area and the eastern part of PA. Outside of that area, it's all about networking. There are a ton of Penn St alum who are willing to help. If you see people with jobs outside of Eastern PA, assume it was networking, not OCI.

NicRen

Postby NicRen » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:58 pm

kk19131 wrote:
NicRen wrote:

In that case, please accept my sincere apologies.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”