Penn State 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
plt06

Re: Penn State 2011 Applicants

Postby plt06 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:24 pm

Emeth! wrote:
ach24 wrote:Just got the email! I applied on 12/8. I'm surprised by how fast that came back.

haha same here.

Ditto. Second fastest turn around I've seen (FSU was faster by a few days).

gin

Postby gin » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:11 pm

Were those all the acceptances for today?
Also, do you know if there were any rejections?
I've been UR for a month now, but i guess I shouldn't complain since my numbers aren't the best

Cmart050

Postby Cmart050 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:32 pm

Accepted today! So far 3/3 with PSU, FSU, and Barry (I know, I know, I wasn't expecting to get accepted anywhere because of my GPA, hadn't known of LSN, Law School Predictor, etc.)

While covering my undergrad football team I had the chance to go with them to Penn State about 3 years ago and my goodness was it a nice campus. Seemed like a great place, but I will be honest it will take a lot of $$$ to get me up there as FSU is better ranked and far cheaper.

Chouchous

Postby Chouchous » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:38 pm

I still have not heard from Penn State and I've applied way back the first day applications were accepted. Congrats to all that got in today!

caligulove

Postby caligulove » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:18 am

in via email today 2.9/161

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:17 pm

In 12/16 via email. 3.78/162.

NicRen

Postby NicRen » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:56 pm

caligulove wrote:in via email today 2.9/161

Can I ask when you went complete? I went complete on 11/23 with 2.91/162, and want to take your admission as a good sign. Was there anything particularly special about your app?

Peekay80

Postby Peekay80 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:59 pm

NicRen wrote:

Can I ask when you went complete? I went complete on 11/23 with 2.91/162, and want to take your admission as a good sign. Was there anything particularly special about your app?

I believe caligulove is a URM.

caligulove

Postby caligulove » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:14 pm

Peekay80 wrote:
NicRen wrote:

I believe caligulove is a URM.

That's right I am. Also have an interesting personal statement highlighting my interest in public service. The thing I've learned about applying to schools with weak numbers is that if someone sees something they like, you'll get in. I'm 5 for 5 so far at McGeorge, PSL, JMLS, Penn State, Hofstra. PSL and JMLS are jokes but I'm taking the other three as a good sign that I might get in somewhere like USD, or Loyola Chicago. I'm giving McGeorge serious thought based on the scholarship I got. Of course I have no idea if Penn State will offer me any money but we'll see.

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:29 pm

I've been hearing all over that I should avoid Penn State. I've heard they have low bar passage rates in a state with five law schools and a tanking economy and terrible legal job market. Plus, they don't give out much money and full price at total cost of attendance estimates are over 170k. What has anyone else been hearing?

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:36 pm

jayman6 wrote:I've been hearing all over that I should avoid Penn State. I've heard they have low bar passage rates in a state with five law schools and a tanking economy and terrible legal job market. Plus, they don't give out much money and full price at total cost of attendance estimates are over 170k. What has anyone else been hearing?

unless i heard, "we are happy to have granted you a full ride" this acceptance email is being sent directly to gmail's trash blackhole

ran12

Postby ran12 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:37 pm

jayman6 wrote:I've been hearing all over that I should avoid Penn State. I've heard they have low bar passage rates in a state with five law schools and a tanking economy and terrible legal job market. Plus, they don't give out much money and full price at total cost of attendance estimates are over 170k. What has anyone else been hearing?

I've heard some of those things too. However, people have also told me that b/c Penn St has such big name recognition as a school in general and so many alums, that by default your employment prospects aren't that bad.

calilaw

Postby calilaw » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:42 pm

Penn State competes with several similarly ranked schools in Pennsylvania, plus UPenn and other T14 grads which may be searching for jobs in this economy. Add to that the fact that Penn State is more rural than the other law schools (further from the bulk of the jobs), and they are at a disadvantage.

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:16 pm

ran12 wrote:

I've heard some of those things too. However, people have also told me that b/c Penn St has such big name recognition as a school in general and so many alums, that by default your employment prospects aren't that bad.

So you think laywers will hire someone from their alma mater just because they went to the same school when they could hire a U Penn or UVA grad for probably the same salary in this economy? I'm not buying it.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:20 pm

jayman6 wrote:So you think laywers will hire someone from their alma mater just because they went to the same school when they could hire a U Penn or UVA grad for probably the same salary in this economy? I'm not buying it.

Honestly, I think it might be likely. Like, obviously if you have someone at the bottom of the class at a T2 and someone in the top 10% at at T14 there's no contest, but with similar grades and resumes I can see nepotism rearing its (maybe not so) ugly head in a comparison for hiring.

I mean, generally speaking jayman is right, on paper someone from UPenn will look way better to a firm than a PSU grad, but on a case by case basis I can see where an alumnus might make a decision in favor of their alma mater.

hurricane10

Postby hurricane10 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:32 pm

Obviously PSU is not going to place as well as T-14's but man there seems to be a lot of PSU hate and I'm not saying that I'm likely to go to PSU but the fact is, the brand name of PSU is important and will definitely help you get a job.

jayman6 wrote:
ran12 wrote:

So you think laywers will hire someone from their alma mater just because they went to the same school when they could hire a U Penn or UVA grad for probably the same salary in this economy? I'm not buying it.

And yes, it does matter. Graduating from a T-14, especially for mid-law firms makes you a flight risk in the eyes of a lot of employers. Some employers might not like the personality types coming from top law schools. Every law school has things working against them in this economy.

I know this article is in regards to the undergraduate school but it explicitly states this point that a lot of job recruiters DO IN FACT prefer PSU kids over ivy league candidates:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 63352.html

boilerup89

Postby boilerup89 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:31 pm

Yeah to discredit PSUs amazingly loyal alumni is a mistake. Really its one of their biggest selling points.

On a more random note my current school is number 4 on the recruitment list yay 8)

JDHopeful

Postby JDHopeful » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:51 pm

What are job prospects in Philly like for Penn State grads?

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:35 pm

JDHopeful wrote:What are job prospects in Philly like for Penn State grads?

Now I am not sure of this but I would imagine that Philly would be tough even for Penn State grads due to the fact that they would have to compete with UPenn, Temple, and Villanova (maybe even seton hall and some rutgers grads as well).

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:55 pm

justhockey31 wrote:

Now I am not sure of this but I would imagine that Philly would be tough even for Penn State grads due to the fact that they would have to compete with UPenn, Temple, and Villanova (maybe even seton hall and some rutgers grads as well).

Not Seton Hall, but definitely Rutgers Camden, Widener and Drexel.

JDHopeful

Postby JDHopeful » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:26 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
justhockey31 wrote:

You think Widener and Drexel hold more clout in Phila than Penn State?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:31 pm

JDHopeful wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
justhockey31 wrote:

Not more clout, but the number of additional grads they pump out creates more competition. If you can't get into any better local schools, Penn State can still bring you back to Philly if you have strong ties to the region (but Temple, Villanova, and even Rutgers would still be preferable options).

Rgaliana

Postby Rgaliana » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:23 pm

JDHopeful wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
justhockey31 wrote:
JDHopeful wrote:

Not more clout, but the number of additional grads they pump out creates more competition. If you can't get into any better local schools, Penn State can still bring you back to Philly if you have strong ties to the region (but Temple, Villanova, and even Rutgers would still be preferable options).

Yep. Based upon my conversations with PSU students, the idea is if you know you want Philadelphia in your future, your summers need to be spent working there. There are a ton of PSU grads in Philadelphia, though less than Temple and others.

JDHopeful

Postby JDHopeful » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:37 pm

Understood; thanks for the info!

lawschool12345

Postby lawschool12345 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:18 pm

still waiting for a response, still under review
submitted app 11/1
with 3.65 ugpa and 158

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”