Penn State 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Barbie

Re: Penn State 2011 Applicants

Postby Barbie » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:55 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:I got accepted to MSU earlier this week. Just before Thanksgiving, they sent me an email stating that they had a 25% increase in applications for this cycle and needed more information to determine scholarships. Maybe this is the situation here. A heavier case load means slower decisions. Just speculation, though...

Doubt it since Barbie's has been in review since...well...forever.

I ain't mad :D :D :D

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:59 pm

Barbie wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:I got accepted to MSU earlier this week. Just before Thanksgiving, they sent me an email stating that they had a 25% increase in applications for this cycle and needed more information to determine scholarships. Maybe this is the situation here. A heavier case load means slower decisions. Just speculation, though...

Doubt it since Barbie's has been in review since...well...forever.

I ain't mad :D :D :D

Not now at least. :lol:

Rgaliana

Postby Rgaliana » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

To those admitted... still no formal letters/packets sent?

Kinda confused. The admissions e-mail said that formal correspondence will be sent in January, but the website said that a formal letter was being sent in a few days.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:13 am

Rgaliana wrote:To those admitted... still no formal letters/packets sent?

Kinda confused. The admissions e-mail said that formal correspondence will be sent in January, but the website said that a formal letter was being sent in a few days.

I've been in for a month now and as far as I know it'll be Jan. I think they just didn't really update their accepted message on the status checker from past years b/c it originally said something like welcome to the class of 2013 before they changed it to 2014.

Sherrybaby

Postby Sherrybaby » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:08 pm

Penn State. In. Carlisle.

:)

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:11 pm

mail or status checker??

CONGRAGULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rgaliana

Postby Rgaliana » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:02 am

I just got back from my visit at UP. Had an amazing time. Loved the town, the law school is state of the art, and the people are friendly as hell. PSU is definitely in my top three; I'm just waiting to hear back from BU and GW. The town is incredibly cheap to live in. There's a very good chance I'm ending up there for the upcoming year.

Another thing -- there is university housing all over the place, and to my understanding, there is housing right by the law school (I may be wrong about this - If a student could clarify it, please do!)

If you want more details, PM me! There's not much I can give insight to other than the town and what I saw.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:57 am

Rgaliana wrote:I just got back from my visit at UP. Had an amazing time. Loved the town, the law school is state of the art, and the people are friendly as hell. PSU is definitely in my top three; I'm just waiting to hear back from BU and GW. The town is incredibly cheap to live in. There's a very good chance I'm ending up there for the upcoming year.

Another thing -- there is university housing all over the place, and to my understanding, there is housing right by the law school (I may be wrong about this - If a student could clarify it, please do!)

If you want more details, PM me! There's not much I can give insight to other than the town and what I saw.

I'm so glad to hear that you had a good time. I hope you could sneak into the school and take a look while you were in town :)

There is a lot of housing in UP in general because so many students live there. The only official housing for law students that is actually part of the university is the White Course Apartments (I live in them now). They are more expensive than other places in town, but all inclusive and may be a good option if you can't come to State College to apartment shop and you can afford them. There is a bus that runs from right outside them to about a block away from the law school and it is free to everyone.

If anyone does make the commitment to the school I do suggest starting to look for housing ASAP. The places around town fill up very quickly because of the massive size of the student population. Also, don't be afraid to get in touch with 2Ls and 3Ls, on facebook and such, because many of them take 1L roommates.

I hope more of you get acceptances soon! I have my first final this afternoon, so if anyone has any questions about what that is like, I will be able to share soon!

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:37 am

I haven't been accepted yet, but according to LSN my numbers are better than 95% of last year's matriculating class. I'm out of state though which makes Penn State very expensive. I'm just not sure if it's worth the price. Are there any current students that can speak to whether or not 3Ls are having difficulties finding jobs?

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:58 pm

jayman6 wrote:I haven't been accepted yet, but according to LSN my numbers are better than 95% of last year's matriculating class. I'm out of state though which makes Penn State very expensive. I'm just not sure if it's worth the price. Are there any current students that can speak to whether or not 3Ls are having difficulties finding jobs?

A couple of things...

First, Penn State is the same price for law school whether you are in state or out of state. There is no in state tuition discount. Second, if your numbers are good you will probably be awarded a scholarship. I believe the largest scholarship offered is $20,000 a year, which is very helpful. Lastly, I know that many 3Ls have jobs lined up, but I also know that many are not sure what they are doing. It is a tough economy, so if students are looking to leave the region they are having a bit more trouble. I'm a 1L, so I can't be much more help in terms of jobs, but if you have any general questions please let me know. Good luck!

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:00 pm

yes. Jbari can you go to the admissions officer and the them that northwood would greatly appreciate hearing some good news. And that i will be willing to videotape my celebration dance and let them show it on admitted students day.

thanks!

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:34 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
jayman6 wrote:I haven't been accepted yet, but according to LSN my numbers are better than 95% of last year's matriculating class. I'm out of state though which makes Penn State very expensive. I'm just not sure if it's worth the price. Are there any current students that can speak to whether or not 3Ls are having difficulties finding jobs?

A couple of things...

First, Penn State is the same price for law school whether you are in state or out of state. There is no in state tuition discount. Second, if your numbers are good you will probably be awarded a scholarship. I believe the largest scholarship offered is $20,000 a year, which is very helpful. Lastly, I know that many 3Ls have jobs lined up, but I also know that many are not sure what they are doing. It is a tough economy, so if students are looking to leave the region they are having a bit more trouble. I'm a 1L, so I can't be much more help in terms of jobs, but if you have any general questions please let me know. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. Penn State would still be more expensive for me at full price than Iowa would be with out of state tuition at full price, so I'd have a hard time justifying spending more money on a significantly lower ranked school. I did visit UP in October and attended a class. Everyone was very helpful and friendly and I really enjoyed it, I'm just not sure that I want to move to a state with 5 law schools where the economy is rougher than most Midwestern economies. It's a tough decision all around.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:43 pm

jayman6 wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:

A couple of things...

Thanks for the info. Penn State would still be more expensive for me at full price than Iowa would be with out of state tuition at full price, so I'd have a hard time justifying spending more money on a significantly lower ranked school. I did visit UP in October and attended a class. Everyone was very helpful and friendly and I really enjoyed it, I'm just not sure that I want to move to a state with 5 law schools where the economy is rougher than most Midwestern economies. It's a tough decision all around.

If you want to work in the Harrisburg area, Penn State > Iowa. If you want to work in the Midwest, Iowa > Penn State. Both are regional schools, but Iowa has a larger range of placement.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:55 pm

Got a large envelope from PSU in the mail today. Was dissapointed it wasn't an acceptance packet but turned out to be a recruitment letter and viewbook. Perhaps this was the mailing foretold on status checkers the world round (more or less) last week?

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:00 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:Got a large envelope from PSU in the mail today. Was dissapointed it wasn't an acceptance packet but turned out to be a recruitment letter and viewbook. Perhaps this was the mailing foretold on status checkers the world round (more or less) last week?

Pretty sure that was the email about facebook. I haven't gotten a packet from them, anyway.

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:13 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:Got a large envelope from PSU in the mail today. Was dissapointed it wasn't an acceptance packet but turned out to be a recruitment letter and viewbook. Perhaps this was the mailing foretold on status checkers the world round (more or less) last week?

I got a packet today too, so I'm leaning that way as well.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:20 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:

Hmmm, good to know. I'll keep my eye out for it.

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:09 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:

A packet? Why are they trying so hard to recruit us? We've already applied!!! This is starting to get annoying.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:14 am

jayman6 wrote:
TJISMYHERO wrote:

A packet? Why are they trying so hard to recruit us? We've already applied!!! This is starting to get annoying.

Amen!

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:43 am

Complete since 11/17, just went under review today, 12/15.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:40 pm

If you went complete on 11/17 and only under review today, i will be under review next month then. I was complete on 11/30/2010 for Penn State Law School.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:44 pm

been under review since 11/16. this can take a while

jacob_c84

Postby jacob_c84 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:18 pm

I sent my application in the first week of November and didn't go complete until 12/1. Also there is a disclaimer that they can not guarantee a decision before May. Is this typical? I've already received an acceptance from Pitt-not sure why Penn St. would take so long.
Last edited by jacob_c84 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:26 pm

I would assume that anyone who applied allready would get a decison before may. If you apply at the end of the admission cycle, then it could take until May to get a decision, as it can take up to 12 weeks to review your application. Its been the norm to be waiting at least a month once you've gone under review. I wouldnt expect a decision from them on your particular application until january at the earliest ( most liikely feb)

jacob_c84

Postby jacob_c84 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:31 pm

northwood wrote:I would assume that anyone who applied allready would get a decison before may. If you apply at the end of the admission cycle, then it could take until May to get a decision, as it can take up to 12 weeks to review your application. Its been the norm to be waiting at least a month once you've gone under review. I wouldnt expect a decision from them on your particular application until january at the earliest ( most liikely feb)
Yeah you are right it will probably be February

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”