Penn State 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Re: Penn State 2011 Applicants

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:33 pm

jaydizzle wrote:I am withdrawing. If someone on the waitlist wants to pay full tuition be my guest. Best of luck guys, wish I could have joined you.
+1

gewbert

New

Post by gewbert » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:34 am

Just to chime in here about Carlisle (I'm a 1L down here), it's really nice if you're looking for a more relaxed/quiet atmosphere. I also like that the 1L's are all in one section, so I know virtually everybody in my class here, and can be social with them. It's a much smaller and (in my opinion) closer community. Then again, I don't know how UP is really, but I for one like the small-town college experience and didn't want a big school environment. it's really a personal choice issue. I know most people here love it (a few are planning on heading up to UP next year, 1 or 2 maybe, and largely for personal reasons). I don't think you really can go wrong either way.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:22 am

I got wait-listed at Penn State recently and I was wondering if anyone here knows how often or likely it is for them to dig into the waitlist. The email said that they start perusing the list come early April, so we can hope.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:34 am

crossarmant wrote:I got wait-listed at Penn State recently and I was wondering if anyone here knows how often or likely it is for them to dig into the waitlist. The email said that they start perusing the list come early April, so we can hope.
PSULawAdmissionsDean wrote:
samtheclam1 wrote:anybody know how good they are at taking people off the waitlist?

The waitlist activity varies from year to year. Last year we made tons of offers to waitlist candidates. The key times for waitlist activity are just after big deposit deadlines. At those times we have a very clear idea of who has decided to accept outstanding offers. We begin looking very closely at waitlisted candidates as soon as we complete our regular review cycle in mid to late March. Depending on how many offers are accepted with our April 1 deposit deadline (and our June 2nd deposit deadline) we could immediately go out with a round of offers to waitlisted candidates. We typically send WL applicants an email letting them know we are going to consider their application for a spot and giving them 24-48 hours to send in any supporting documents they'd like at that point, like updated transcripts, a LOCI, updated resume, etc. If an applicant doesn't respond we assume they aren't interested and move to the next applicant.

Of course, we continue to visit the waitlist up until orientation. Last year we admitted some waitlisted candidates on the first day of orientation. This won't work for everyone and we do try to make offers as early as possible, but for those students it was worth the hassle of a quick transition. In some cases we aren't sure how the numbers will shake out until we see who shows up. This can be a great opportunity for the applicant that is prepared to jump on it.

Once you have all of your decisions, if we rise to the top of the schools you are interested in, it can be really helpful to know that you really want to be here. In this circumstance a letter of continued interest, LOCI, can be helpful. However, there are few things so annoying as receiving a LOCI only to call and talk to the applicant and have them waffle on what they really want. I have removed people from waitlist consideration in the past for doing this.

I am sure you'll do great whatever the outcome with Penn State Law, but if you'd like to discuss your specific case, please feel free to contact me.

Jay Shively
Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid
Penn State Law

jarv1506

New

Post by jarv1506 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:13 pm

Withdrew today. I hope one of you gets my spot! Good luck everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alexanderhamilton

New

Post by alexanderhamilton » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:17 pm

Still haven't heard back from Penn State, all it says on the online status is reviewing my application and I applied a couple month ago. Not sure whats up. :?

rehtulx

New

Post by rehtulx » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:06 pm

I withdrew also. Too damn expensive considered UNC and UConn waive veterans tuition. Good luck everyone!

sUkNoIrzTforEall

New

Post by sUkNoIrzTforEall » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:09 pm

Their first deposit is due next Friday, no exceptions. You should definitely hear the following week I would guess.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:10 pm

alexanderhamilton wrote:Still haven't heard back from Penn State, all it says on the online status is reviewing my application and I applied a couple month ago. Not sure whats up. :?
It may be worth giving admissions a call if you are concerned that something may be delaying your application. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jayman6

Bronze

Post by jayman6 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:09 pm

rehtulx wrote:I withdrew also. Too damn expensive considered UNC and UConn waive veterans tuition. Good luck everyone!
I understand that having your tuition waived is a great incentive, but I think a lot of people look at the cost of attendance at PSU and think that you can't do it for less. PSU has a housing budget and a separate budget for utilities, but I've found housing that, including utilities, is less than the housing budget alone. I'm also on my parent's health insurance and will be for the whole time I'm in law school, so the health insurance budget won't apply to me.

I'm sure you're smart enough to figure some of these things out, but just be aware that the estimated cost of attendance is not necessarily what it costs to attend.

That said, UNC would be an excellent choice, although I don't know much about UConn.

iluvkj

New

Post by iluvkj » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:34 pm

jbarl1 wrote:Are any admitted students attending the Open House this weekend?
I'll be there :)

alexanderhamilton

New

Post by alexanderhamilton » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:10 am

jbarl1 wrote:
alexanderhamilton wrote:Still haven't heard back from Penn State, all it says on the online status is reviewing my application and I applied a couple month ago. Not sure whats up. :?
It may be worth giving admissions a call if you are concerned that something may be delaying your application. Good luck!
Thanks, I think I did, they recieved one of my required LOR's late because LSAC screwed up with or maybe my professor did, but I doubt it since I actually had him send it twice LSAC just took forever to process it. They have it now, but I hope it doesn't affect my chances at admission or scholarship since Penn State is my top choice :shock: I hope I still have a shot 3.72/160 if anyone cares to speculate. :|

TJISMYHERO

Bronze

Post by TJISMYHERO » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:19 am

Idk about chances of a scholarship this late, but I would speculate an acceptance.

BTW, your handle makes me worry for you, but I like the founding father sentiment.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alexanderhamilton

New

Post by alexanderhamilton » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:06 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:Idk about chances of a scholarship this late, but I would speculate an acceptance.

BTW, your handle makes me worry for you, but I like the founding father sentiment.
I'm not a tea partier if that's what you mean? :?:
Last edited by alexanderhamilton on Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sUkNoIrzTforEall

New

Post by sUkNoIrzTforEall » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:20 pm

iluvkj wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:Are any admitted students attending the Open House this weekend?
I'll be there :)

Any posted impressions would be most welcome--or pm me. I live on the West coast and am having trouble making this decision, and have limited funds available for travel. Penn State seems wonderful online.

TJISMYHERO

Bronze

Post by TJISMYHERO » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:13 pm

alexanderhamilton wrote:
TJISMYHERO wrote:Idk about chances of a scholarship this late, but I would speculate an acceptance.

Jefferson strongly disagreed with Hamilton on the issues of federalism and the national bank.

alexanderhamilton

New

Post by alexanderhamilton » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:47 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:
alexanderhamilton wrote:

Jefferson strongly disagreed with Hamilton on the issues of federalism and the national bank.
Ah right.... completely missed that reference and the avatar. I blame the stress.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

headease

New

Post by headease » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:36 pm

hey, how are you peoples hearing from Penn st?
ive been checking my status checker like 3 times a day but im not sure if decisions are rendered via status checker before email
anyone know?

hurricane10

Bronze

Post by hurricane10 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:45 pm

I attended the open house and am going to be withdrawing tomorrow. I'm not going to take away anything from PSU.. it's a great school but there were a couple red flags for me personally that I can't ignore. Anyone who ends up going to PSU is going to get a great legal education though, that's for sure. Anyone wanting more specific info on my impressions PM me.

TJISMYHERO

Bronze

Post by TJISMYHERO » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:12 pm

Where are you leaning towards now?

hurricane10

Bronze

Post by hurricane10 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:50 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:Where are you leaning towards now?
I pretty much have decided on UF. I wanted to wait to send in a deposit until I checked out PSU given the amazing scholarship opportunity they offered but it ultimately came down to my comfort level at UF and the fact that I see myself practicing in Florida.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jayman6

Bronze

Post by jayman6 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:44 pm

What do others think of PSU after the open house?

jayman6

Bronze

Post by jayman6 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:26 am

To Dean Shively or to current students:

Can video conferenced classes be avoided, or is it likely that with the two campus set-up that a substantial number of my courses will be through video conferencing? I'm not altogether opposed to the idea, but I'd like to avoid it as much as possible.

PSULawAdmissionsDean

New

Post by PSULawAdmissionsDean » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:20 am

jayman6 wrote:To Dean Shively or to current students:

Can video conferenced classes be avoided, or is it likely that with the two campus set-up that a substantial number of my courses will be through video conferencing? I'm not altogether opposed to the idea, but I'd like to avoid it as much as possible.

Our website says, "Penn State Law students may elect to matriculate at either the University Park or Carlisle location, where they will enjoy an identical first-year curriculum taught entirely in-person by several of the faculty’s top classroom teachers and scholars. During second and third years, students may elect to change campuses in order to access a class, clinic or joint degree opportunity available only at one campus or the other, or students may remain at their initial campus throughout their three years and access rich upper-level curriculum and clinics through the variety of entirely in-person classes and clinics and remote-access audiovisual (AV) classes offered at each location. The experience with upper-level AV classes has been very positive, both because of the sophisticated equipment and specially designed classrooms, and because the campuses are close enough to ensure in-person student-faculty contact, as desired, throughout each semester."

What that means in a practical sense is that you can choose at anytime after your first year to study at either campus. All of your first year classes are taught in person with full faculty members. Like at any law school you may have to make choices in your schedule about which courses you want to take and not every course may be offered when/where it may be most convenient for you. Still the courses are obviously live at one campus or the other and you can devise a schedule which wouldn't require you to take many (or any) course via tele-conferencing. My impression is that mostly small specialized courses are taught through the video conferencing, but I'll follow up with the Registrar to get a more accurate sense of which courses are taught in this way. Although we are proud of the technology available to us in this regard it is not intended to replace the face to face teaching that makes a legal educaiton so valuable.

Jay Shively
Penn State Law

iluvkj

New

Post by iluvkj » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:34 am

jayman6 wrote:What do others think of PSU after the open house?
I like PSU more now after the open house :) The staff and current students were friendly and answered all of the little random questions I had. I enjoyed the mock class, and the building is beyond beautiful; that library is something else! Overall, it is a place that I can really see myself for law.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”