University of Arizona

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
istara

Re: University of Arizona

Postby istara » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:25 pm

Tucson is half as appealing to most people.

Most of the Tucson people I know would say the same about Phoenix.

Point being, I suppose, for those trying to decide between the two: they are two very different places.

mala2

Postby mala2 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:26 pm

acmass wrote:Went DR today...with no "congratulations" at the top like other people had. Looks like a ding or WL. Seriously upset about this...

are you sure? it's all the way on the top left hand corner of the screen. I actually didn't see it at first.

Your gpa is very good. Can you study some more and retake the LSAT? I think 160 and you're in for sure.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:30 pm

istara wrote:
Tucson is half as appealing to most people.

Most of the Tucson people I know would say the same about Phoenix.

Point being, I suppose, for those trying to decide between the two: they are two very different places.

I was actually joking...But you're right, the person who loves Tucson will not be that excited about Phoenix, and vice versa.

acmass

Postby acmass » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:44 pm

mala2 wrote:
acmass wrote:Went DR today...with no "congratulations" at the top like other people had. Looks like a ding or WL. Seriously upset about this...

are you sure? it's all the way on the top left hand corner of the screen. I actually didn't see it at first.

Your gpa is very good. Can you study some more and retake the LSAT? I think 160 and you're in for sure.

Retaking is not an option...

and I'm definitely sure.

All it says is "A decision letter has been mailed, and you should receive it shortly. Unfortunately we cannot communicate decisions by phone."

mala2

Postby mala2 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:46 am

acmass wrote:
mala2 wrote:

and I'm definitely sure.

All it says is "A decision letter has been mailed, and you should receive it shortly. Unfortunately we cannot communicate decisions by phone."

sorry:( did you get into anywhere else you'd like to go?

acmass

Postby acmass » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:23 pm

mala2 wrote:
acmass wrote:
mala2 wrote:

and I'm definitely sure.

sorry:( did you get into anywhere else you'd like to go?

Pacific McGeorge...but I REALLY wanted to stay at UA. I love the law school here. I'm praying that it's a WL, though, so I can beg Eric Eden to take me off the list.

beardown_tho

Postby beardown_tho » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:13 pm

Arizona 1L wrote:While the situation lawquacious is experiencing is not unheard of, it’s definitely the exception, not the rule.

I couldn't disagree more.

edit: To be fair, I'm not counting the judicial clerkship placement whatever program, given that it is literally a crap shoot (names in a hat, draw them out).

Arizona 1L

Postby Arizona 1L » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:15 pm

beardown_tho wrote:
Arizona 1L wrote:While the situation lawquacious is experiencing is not unheard of, it’s definitely the exception, not the rule.

I couldn't disagree more.

edit: To be fair, I'm not counting the judicial clerkship placement whatever program, given that it is literally a crap shoot (names in a hat, draw them out).

That's definitely a big thing not to count... while, yes, it's a random drawing... I'm pretty sure a judicial externship is not something to look down on, especially considering the positions include externships with federal, state, and local judges...

Maybe in your experience the people without jobs have been the most vocal, but in my experience the people with jobs are the majority.

I'm just trying to let people know that it has not been some dramatic struggle to get volunteer employment for the majority of students here at UA (which is the claim of the post I was responding to). It may be the case that not being able to get a volunteer job at this point in the game reflects more on the individual than the law school. UA Law is not the barrier.

beardown_tho

Postby beardown_tho » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:43 pm

Arizona 1L wrote:That's definitely a big thing not to count... while, yes, it's a random drawing... I'm pretty sure a judicial externship is not something to look down on, especially considering the positions include externships with federal, state, and local judges...

There will be people with excellent grades who participate in that program and end up with a worse gig than some people with mediocre grades. That's not cool. It will be a job, yes, but I'd be bitter if I were one of those excellent grade people. The program is one giant fall-back.

Arizona 1L wrote:Maybe in your experience the people without jobs have been the most vocal, but in my experience the people with jobs are the majority.

Maybe in your experience the people with jobs have been the most vocal, but in my experience the people without jobs are in the majority.

Maybe not the majority anymore. But they've had a hell of a time up to this point.

Arizona 1L wrote:I'm just trying to let people know that it has not been some dramatic struggle to get volunteer employment for the majority of students here at UA (which is the claim of the post I was responding to).

The claim you are responding to is:

Lawquacious wrote:I'm a 1L and it has been hard for me to get something.

Things are pretty bad everywhere right now as far as I can tell. It is admittedly pretty frustrating though not to have an offer yet for an unpaid internship.

That's not a dramatic struggle. That's a pretty accurate description of a lot of the experiences I've heard about. It has, at minimum, been harder than expected to obtain even a volunteer position. I think that, based off of what career services told us, people expected to have some sort of job or volunteer position after Spring OCI/Sonoran. That was not true for the majority of the 1Ls here.

Arizona 1L wrote:It may be the case that not being able to get a volunteer job at this point in the game reflects more on the individual than the law school. UA Law is not the barrier.

I don't think it's about "fault." As Veyron mentioned, as a non-T14 regional T1, Arizona is performing about as well as expected. It's just the reality of the situation, and I think Lawquacious' description of that reality is more accurate than yours.

canam2011

Postby canam2011 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:17 pm

Has anyone gotten in without the blue "Congratulations"... i'm thinking a ding is in the mail.

cjw2222

Postby cjw2222 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:03 pm

canam2011 wrote:Has anyone gotten in without the blue "Congratulations"... i'm thinking a ding is in the mail.

Not that I have heard of. Could be ding or WL

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:29 pm

anyone know if the date on my "committee review" being updated means anything?

seaboot

Postby seaboot » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:44 pm

IN.

One of the few perks of being an AZ resident...

UA7789

Postby UA7789 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:46 pm

Just withdrew. Hopefully this opens my spot up for someone on the waitlist and gives my scholarship to someone else.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:21 pm

Decision Rendered....hopefully it's a waitlist

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:24 pm

I'm going to withdraw because ASU is a much better fit for me. Good luck to everyone.

cool of law

Postby cool of law » Wed May 04, 2011 6:32 pm

Hey party people,

Anyone else making the leap? viewtopic.php?f=28&t=154455

dtl

Postby dtl » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:13 pm

Anyone have any waitlist info?

puravidamae

Postby puravidamae » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:29 pm

Just accepted from the waitlist today. Will be attending in the fall!

ColomboHeat

Postby ColomboHeat » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:33 pm

congrats! 8)

CalyssaT

Postby CalyssaT » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:03 pm

Last edited by CalyssaT on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sab0tage

Postby sab0tage » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:19 pm

puravidamae wrote:Just accepted from the waitlist today. Will be attending in the fall!

nice! congrats!

i cant help but notice the a possible reference costa rica in your username, (i am costa rica right now) are you a tico?

puravidamae

Postby puravidamae » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:45 pm

CalyssaT wrote:Congrats! Finally some movement... How did they notify you?

Thanks! I was notified via phone call this morning from the assistant dean of admissions.

sab0tage wrote:
puravidamae wrote:Just accepted from the waitlist today. Will be attending in the fall!

nice! congrats!

i cant help but notice the a possible reference costa rica in your username, (i am costa rica right now) are you a tico?

Not Tico but I was in Costa Rica when I came up with my username here. I have a good friend who lives in San Jose and Costa is my home away from home. Hopefully I will have time for another quick trip before class starts in the fall :)

dtl

Postby dtl » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 pm

Just got accepted off the wait list. Not sure if I am going to attend but will sure know by friday (when I have to make the call). I am leaning towards yes but need to talk to my folks first. Its between University of San Diego and Arizona (With UCIrvine and Loyola waitlists still pending to make things interesting.)

Good luck everyone!

CalyssaT

Postby CalyssaT » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:32 am

Last edited by CalyssaT on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”