University of Arizona

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ColomboHeat

Re: University of Arizona

Postby ColomboHeat » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:58 pm

a short update from a January applicant for those following this thread:

Submitted - 1/7
Complete - 1/10
Committee Review - 1/18 8)

things appear to be moving along... I would assume that if I am now in review, you October & November applicants should be hearing back from the admissions staff at U of A very soon.

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:12 am

Hopefully. I submitted in late October and went in committee review on Dec 14th. Been there ever since. :(

usuallyjustlurks

Postby usuallyjustlurks » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Last edited by usuallyjustlurks on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:49 pm

Come on Arizona. ASU took the lead in acceptances. Catch up!

UA7789

Postby UA7789 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:59 pm

Anyone hear anything yet? They seem very very slow....

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:27 pm

UA7789 wrote:Anyone hear anything yet? They seem very very slow....

Nope. I went into review on 18 Jan.

Classof2014

Postby Classof2014 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:57 pm

Just got admitted via status checker!

Submitted 12/15

Looks like things are finally moving with UA.

The Weather

Postby The Weather » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:06 pm

Admitted today via status checker as well!!! Went complete beginning of Jan..... not a bad turnaround time!

yabuddy

Postby yabuddy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:52 pm

Man you guys are making me feel a little nervous now. I've been under committee review since 12/14.

Anyone else in the same boat?

skirschner1

Postby skirschner1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:56 pm

yabuddy wrote:Man you guys are making me feel a little nervous now. I've been under committee review since 12/14.

Committee review 1/3. 160/3.5x

istara

Postby istara » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:12 pm

Accepted tonight via status checker also!

159 / 3.96

Submitted/complete in very early November.

UA7789

Postby UA7789 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:17 pm

Also accepted via status checker. UA is my undergrad.

Scorch

Postby Scorch » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:37 pm

Admitted via status checker!!

wildcatsss

Postby wildcatsss » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:06 pm

Hey guys,

I'm a 2L at U of A, and I'm also a Tucson native. If you have any questions about the school or the city, I'd be happy to answer them. :)

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:09 pm

STFU, bear down, and wait.

Lexyeva

Postby Lexyeva » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:09 pm

yabuddy wrote:Man you guys are making me feel a little nervous now. I've been under committee review since 12/14.

Yup, same boat here... Committee Review 12/14

istara

Postby istara » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:13 pm

wildcatsss wrote:Hey guys,

I'm a 2L at U of A, and I'm also a Tucson native. If you have any questions about the school or the city, I'd be happy to answer them. :)

Are you happy with your choice? How are job prospects looking?

wildcatsss

Postby wildcatsss » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:55 pm

Lexyeva wrote:wildcatsss wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm a 2L at U of A, and I'm also a Tucson native. If you have any questions about the school or the city, I'd be happy to answer them.

Heck yeah I'm happy with my choice. Great students, great professors, it's sunny all the freaking time. As for job prospects, I don't know if I can describe them as "good" simply because they're not really "good" anywhere - but U of A is the best law school in like an 400 mile radius, which is something only a handful of other law schools can claim. This means that U of A places well not only in Tucson but in Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Diego, Utah, New Mexico, etc. We have a decent OCI, and I think the top 10% all got something with that. Besides that, we're constantly getting emails from career services about firms and other employers who are looking for people (just got a job for the semester/summer through one of these, actually). Most of my friends have something lined up for the summer.

That said, U of A is a regional law school. If you're looking for "biglaw" or want to work somewhere besides the southwest, I'd rethink things. I'm not saying it's impossible, just saying it's improbable.

Also, I just want to say that although ASU is currently higher than U of A in ranking, U of A is still regarded as the best law school in Arizona. If that is changing, it's going to take a while for the idea that ASU is better than U of A to sink in - it's an unnatural concept that ASU is better than U of A in ANYTHING (and I'm not just saying this because I'm a Tucson native - this is the consensus among Arizonans generally). So don't let ranking play into your decision.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:11 am

wildcatsss wrote:
Lexyeva wrote:wildcatsss wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm a 2L at U of A, and I'm also a Tucson native. If you have any questions about the school or the city, I'd be happy to answer them.

Heck yeah I'm happy with my choice. Great students, great professors, it's sunny all the freaking time. As for job prospects, I don't know if I can describe them as "good" simply because they're not really "good" anywhere - but U of A is the best law school in like an 400 mile radius, which is something only a handful of other law schools can claim. This means that U of A places well not only in Tucson but in Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Diego, Utah, New Mexico, etc. We have a decent OCI, and I think the top 10% all got something with that. Besides that, we're constantly getting emails from career services about firms and other employers who are looking for people (just got a job for the semester/summer through one of these, actually). Most of my friends have something lined up for the summer.

That said, U of A is a regional law school. If you're looking for "biglaw" or want to work somewhere besides the southwest, I'd rethink things. I'm not saying it's impossible, just saying it's improbable.

Also, I just want to say that although ASU is currently higher than U of A in ranking, U of A is still regarded as the best law school in Arizona. If that is changing, it's going to take a while for the idea that ASU is better than U of A to sink in - it's an unnatural concept that ASU is better than U of A in ANYTHING (and I'm not just saying this because I'm a Tucson native - this is the consensus among Arizonans generally). So don't let ranking play into your decision.

Since I'm a pretty objective observer, I would posit that in point of fact, no one in Arizona considers ASU Law or UofA Law to be one bit different (except if one is alum of either school which, come to think of it, describes a large % of lawyers in AZ).

Also, it is true that compared to most non T-14s, job prospects are pretty good at both. Phoenix is a huge city and has only three tiny law schools serving the market (one of which is Tier 4). I still wouldn't pay sticker since it seems like half the class winds up unemployed ITE but still. . . can't fault the QOL.

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:57 am

I got accepted via status checker yesterday (2/2). I submitted 1/10, for those that are curious. Does anyone know when we'll hear about scholarships? I am a native Arizonan, and would love to stay in AZ, but it might take a pretty big scholarship for me to consider UofA over higher-ranked schools.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:31 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:I got accepted via status checker yesterday (2/2). I submitted 1/10, for those that are curious. Does anyone know when we'll hear about scholarships? I am a native Arizonan, and would love to stay in AZ, but it might take a pretty big scholarship for me to consider UofA over higher-ranked schools.

Someone ran the numbers a while back. Everyone with your stats has gotten a full ride.

ColomboHeat

Postby ColomboHeat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:50 pm

Question for UA grads and students:

I have lived in Phoenix for 10+ years and am wondering... is there a legal job market to speak of in Tucson itself? Or do you spend your 3 years in school and wind up moving back to the bigger city?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:55 pm

ColomboHeat wrote:Question for UA grads and students:

I have lived in Phoenix for 10+ years and am wondering... is there a legal job market to speak of in Tucson itself? Or do you spend your 3 years in school and wind up moving back to the bigger city?

*Has lived in Phoenix for 10 years*

*Is incapable of using NALP*

*Needs Veyron to tell him that Tucson does have big firms but they have even fewer SA slots than even the ones in Phoenix and that in all other respects, Tucson pretty much has the same legal opportunities available, just less of them. Also needs Veyron to tell him that because of this a large % of UofA kids end up working in the Valley*

*In retrospect realizes that all this was common sense*

*Cries softly*

*Tries to formulate more specific question*

ColomboHeat

Postby ColomboHeat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:19 pm

u mad Veyron? LOL

thanks for the information though :lol: , good show.

edit & back on topic:

Current Status: Decision Rendered
Current Status Date: 2/2/2011

Congratulations! You have been admitted to the University of Arizona Rogers College of Law.

ASU has already sent out scholarship packets to their early admits, so let's hope we hear something soon.
Last edited by ColomboHeat on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:36 pm

Just checked my tracker, in yesterday. Ship some scholy $$$ my way!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”