University of Arizona

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
sully
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby sully » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:12 pm

I don't have the letter in front of me for exact wording, but my scholarship letter added (as somewhat of an afterthought) that my award may change if I later obtain in-state residency, or work as a teaching assistant, etc. Does anyone know the details of this? What are the chances of it changing, how much would it change...? It sort of troubling since I had planned on having in-state tuition at some point.

mala2
Posts: 225
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:39 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby mala2 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:46 pm

It means that the percentage of your tuition that is covered by your scholarship will remain the same. If your tuition costs go down for whatever reason, your scholarship will go down so that it covers the same percentage. hth

User avatar
sully
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby sully » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:27 pm

mala2 wrote:It means that the percentage of your tuition that is covered by your scholarship will remain the same. If your tuition costs go down for whatever reason, your scholarship will go down so that it covers the same percentage. hth



thanks, I wonder why not just give a X% scholarship then.

ColomboHeat
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby ColomboHeat » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:04 pm

haha probably because it wouldn't look as enticing without the big number and a dollar sign? :roll:

And I figure the school offers fixed scholarship amounts that will not fluctuate with (the inevitable) increases in tuition prices over our next three years. If they put a percentage scholarship offer in the letter, they would be obligated to give you more money each year if the tuition price went up.

User avatar
sully
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby sully » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:17 pm

ColomboHeat wrote:haha probably because it wouldn't look as enticing without the big number and a dollar sign? :roll:

And I figure the school offers fixed scholarship amounts that will not fluctuate with (the inevitable) increases in tuition prices over our next three years. If they put a percentage scholarship offer in the letter, they would be obligated to give you more money each year if the tuition price went up.


Hahaha It should have read: If you make successful efforts to reduce your tuition, we will take the benefit of whatever reduction you receive.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby Capitol A » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:19 pm

Veyron wrote:
PatientCreation wrote:I was in review for about 2 1/2 weeks and just recieved my decision on Friday.
Accepted with 16k/yr as an OOS applicant.
LSAT: 166
GPA: 3.3

Not sure if, as a Midwest native, I'm willing to move down to AZ and pay just as much as all the in-staters at sticker! I'll probably try to fly down for the Dean's Preview Day, has anyone officially found out if they offer any sort of freakin' stipend since they hold the damn preview day on the same day that the first deposit is due?

If anyone who currently attends Arizona Law, or is looking at attending Arizona Law, could PM me so we could chat about everything down in Tucson/Pheonix, I would greatly appreciate it! (i.e. weather, culture differences, jobs, where to live, best transportation, attractiveness of women :wink: ha, etc. etc.)

Thanks! Good luck to everyone with your decisions!


I don't go there but am probably more familiar with the AZ market than any other poster on this site. I'm also relatively well versed in Tucson. Ask away.

I've spent some time in T-Town, and have lived in Phoenix all my life. i would be happy to answer whatever you need to know about the region as well.

ColomboHeat
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby ColomboHeat » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:28 pm

Tucson & Phoenix might as well be different planets.

Speaking of our fair city, here is Phoenix in a nutshell:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/03/23/134803230/arizona-sheriff-uses-a-tank-to-arrest-cockfighting-suspect

Tucson is... different.

PatientCreation
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby PatientCreation » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:22 am

ColomboHeat wrote:Tucson & Phoenix might as well be different planets.

Speaking of our fair city, here is Phoenix in a nutshell:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/03/23/134803230/arizona-sheriff-uses-a-tank-to-arrest-cockfighting-suspect

Tucson is... different.


HAHAHAHAHA
....
but seriously...
That's hillarious.

JCDent
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:18 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby JCDent » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:06 pm

I've heard that UA 1Ls and 2Ls are having a tough time finding even legal volunteer positions. Can anyone (preferably a student there) comment on this? I'm not surprised to hear the job market is rough, but THIS rough is a little unsettling.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby Veyron » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:00 pm

JCDent wrote:I've heard that UA 1Ls and 2Ls are having a tough time finding even legal volunteer positions. Can anyone (preferably a student there) comment on this? I'm not surprised to hear the job market is rough, but THIS rough is a little unsettling.


Some do, some don't depends on the student, rank etc. Guess what, its like that at every non T-14 (and some of those as well for 1L year). Deal.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby Capitol A » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:16 pm

Veyron wrote:
JCDent wrote:I've heard that UA 1Ls and 2Ls are having a tough time finding even legal volunteer positions. Can anyone (preferably a student there) comment on this? I'm not surprised to hear the job market is rough, but THIS rough is a little unsettling.


Some do, some don't depends on the student, rank etc. Guess what, its like that at every non T-14 (and some of those as well for 1L year). Deal.

Yeah, I think if you're starting law school you should do so with the understanding that you are in for a challenge, in more ways than one. Which is fine, but if it's unsettling to you that jobs for people with basically no marketable skills, and/or no professional experience are hard to come by...you must have been asleep or travelling through space for the last several years.

JCDent
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:18 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby JCDent » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:23 pm

Right sorry I should have been more specific in my previous post and stated that I was hoping to get some (semi)quantitative data from someone actually attending the school. But thanks for the generic, non-informative responses and suggestion that I have no concept of employment reality.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:33 pm

JCDent wrote:I've heard that UA 1Ls and 2Ls are having a tough time finding even legal volunteer positions. Can anyone (preferably a student there) comment on this? I'm not surprised to hear the job market is rough, but THIS rough is a little unsettling.




I'm a 1L and it has been hard for me to get something. I've had ten interviews, mostly for unpaid positions so far. I do know a lot of people who have things lined up though, and I was probably more selective than I should have been in applying to agencies. It seems fairly easy to get loans to live off for the summer for unpaid work (by enrolling in a U of AZ law 'course' that correlates to the unpaid internship); if I had known that I could get loans for unpaid positions I probably would have applied to a lot more of them early on. I have fairly strong grades, but definitely not as strong as is possible (I think I would be well above median if it was figured, though median and rank isn't determined until after the first year as things stand).

Things are pretty bad everywhere right now as far as I can tell. It is admittedly pretty frustrating though not to have an offer yet for an unpaid internship. The school does have a judicial externship placement program, so in addition to applying for judicial extenships that involve interviews (generally the Federal clerkships), I think the school will place students in judicial externships (though many of these are likely with city or county judges). I am thinking about going that route, although I'm still kind of hoping to get a externship with a Federal judge.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby Capitol A » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:45 pm

JCDent wrote:Right sorry I should have been more specific in my previous post and stated that I was hoping to get some (semi)quantitative data from someone actually attending the school. But thanks for the generic, non-informative responses and suggestion that I have no concept of employment reality.

You asked, we answered. Sorry it wasn't the info you were looking/hoping for.

JCDent
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:18 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby JCDent » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:51 pm

No, you provided me with generalized speculation. The poster above you, who is a student at UA answered, for which I thank them very much for the info.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby Veyron » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:57 pm

JCDent wrote:No, you provided me with generalized speculation. The poster above you, who is a student at UA answered, for which I thank them very much for the info.


That counts as semi quantitative data? He just said what we said.

User avatar
seaboot
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:05 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby seaboot » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:22 pm

Status checker changed from in review 1/18 to in review 3/28. Anyone else seeing movement?

Really hoping my residency helps my slightly sub-median numbers...

mexicanwa
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:56 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby mexicanwa » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:37 pm

Anyone know when movement is expected?

ColomboHeat
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby ColomboHeat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:39 pm

Lawquacious - perhaps this is too difficult to answer - but could you ballpark the approximate percent of available summer positions that you think you applied to?

I ask this in reference to your saying that you may have been too selective. Could you figure having applied to 25%... or maybe half of what was available to you?

Sorry in advance if my question is confusing, it was confusing to write lol :roll:

Arizona 1L
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby Arizona 1L » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:08 pm

All, I'm a current Arizona 1L and I think there have been a few “inaccuracies” about UA Law that I felt compelled to address…
First of all, it has not been exceptionally difficult for 1Ls to get volunteer legal employment… Yes, the market is bad, so if you’re holding out for a paid job… that might be a difficult task..

Being a small & intimate law school, people talk about where they will be this summer and the number of students still looking for a job is a small minority. I have friends working all over Arizona (including a large number in Phoenix) and in other states. I was lucky enough to get a great summer job in California.

While the situation lawquacious is experiencing is not unheard of, it’s definitely the exception, not the rule. Keep in mind that those 10 jobs probably went to other UA students… also, I think it’s useful to keep in mind your expectations and reality… if you only apply to jobs with large firms in NYC or ridiculously high demand DC jobs then, yes, your job search will be difficult. That said, people are UA are getting jobs for the summer…

I know that was long, but I felt compelled to get that side of the story to you individuals considering UA….

I’m definitely willing to answer any other questions you have about UA Law… I may not have the answers to everything but I’ll try my best… so send me a message and I’ll try to respond as quickly as the life of a 1L will allow… Best of luck to all of you!

mala2
Posts: 225
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:39 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby mala2 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:49 pm

Arizona 1L wrote:All, I'm a current Arizona 1L and I think there have been a few “inaccuracies” about UA Law that I felt compelled to address…
First of all, it has not been exceptionally difficult for 1Ls to get volunteer legal employment… Yes, the market is bad, so if you’re holding out for a paid job… that might be a difficult task..

Being a small & intimate law school, people talk about where they will be this summer and the number of students still looking for a job is a small minority. I have friends working all over Arizona (including a large number in Phoenix) and in other states. I was lucky enough to get a great summer job in California.

While the situation lawquacious is experiencing is not unheard of, it’s definitely the exception, not the rule. Keep in mind that those 10 jobs probably went to other UA students… also, I think it’s useful to keep in mind your expectations and reality… if you only apply to jobs with large firms in NYC or ridiculously high demand DC jobs then, yes, your job search will be difficult. That said, people are UA are getting jobs for the summer…

I know that was long, but I felt compelled to get that side of the story to you individuals considering UA….

I’m definitely willing to answer any other questions you have about UA Law… I may not have the answers to everything but I’ll try my best… so send me a message and I’ll try to respond as quickly as the life of a 1L will allow… Best of luck to all of you!



thanks for the info!

buchy2009
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby buchy2009 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:01 am

When I spoke with the associate dean associated with the career services office, I was very impressed…. she said that about 1/3 of students receive paid employment their first summer, 1/3 set it up as an externship, and 1/3 work in volunteer positions. However, she said that her office's philosophy is centered around making sure every 1L has employment of some kind during the summer. Starting in November, that is the sole focus of career services.

Aldenita
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby Aldenita » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:30 pm

I'd much rather live in Tempe, but U of A offered be twice as much money as ASU did.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby Capitol A » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:02 pm

Aldenita wrote:I'd much rather live in Tempe, but U of A offered be twice as much money as ASU did.

Tucson is half as appealing to most people.

acmass
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby acmass » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:31 pm

Went DR today...with no "congratulations" at the top like other people had. Looks like a ding or WL. Seriously upset about this...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, BuyaLittleMercy, carlos_danger, cd1945, Daaltaraan, Ferrisjso, Google Adsense [Bot], jstans, lawschoolbound2017, nume2016, theothercat, Why??? and 38 guests