University of Arizona

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ColomboHeat

Re: University of Arizona

Postby ColomboHeat » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:13 pm

While you wait for the email you should be able to register here:

http://www.law.arizona.edu/admissions/f ... ration.cfm

It took a few days for them to approve me, so you may as well get a head start.

aae723

Postby aae723 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:17 pm

cjw2222 wrote:
aae723 wrote:I'm pretty convinced that this is the law school I want to attend in the fall. Is there a facebook group for admitted students? Also, how does everyone like living in Tuscon?

Finishing up UG here in Tucson. The actual city of Tucson is what I would call average. The activities and campus life are superb. I go fishing, hiking, biking, and camping all the time. We have a ski resort 30 minuted from campus. The students center themselves heavily around the school and everything one would ever need is in biking distance. The weather is a blessing, a consistent 5 to 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix, and it seems all the students take advantage of it. COL is next to nothing when compared to other law schools. I rent a very nice house for 485 a month.

Will you be attending the law school?
Why do you find it to be next to nothing? Im just curious. ASU is similarly ranked so what are the prospects of finding a job out west like in Arizona?

cjw2222

Postby cjw2222 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:33 pm

aae723 wrote:
cjw2222 wrote:
aae723 wrote:I'm pretty convinced that this is the law school I want to attend in the fall. Is there a facebook group for admitted students? Also, how does everyone like living in Tuscon?

Finishing up UG here in Tucson. The actual city of Tucson is what I would call average. The activities and campus life are superb. I go fishing, hiking, biking, and camping all the time. We have a ski resort 30 minuted from campus. The students center themselves heavily around the school and everything one would ever need is in biking distance. The weather is a blessing, a consistent 5 to 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix, and it seems all the students take advantage of it. COL is next to nothing when compared to other law schools. I rent a very nice house for 485 a month.

Why do you find it to be next to nothing? Im just curious. ASU is similarly ranked so what are the prospects of finding a job out west like in Arizona?

There is a definite chance I will end up in Tucson but am also considering ASU and a few schools in midwest/east (still waiting on decisions and scholly info). I say the cost of living is next to nothing because it is. Gas is a consistent 10 cents cheaper than Phoenix and rent is minimal even when compared to Tempe. UA used to be the winner if you wanted to practice in AZ but ASU has made big strides recently and has a stronger upward trend at this moment. Realistically you are afforded the same job prospects at the two schools. Firms give intern/externships to ASU students during the academic year and UA students during the summer so even if you went to UA you could still be competitive in Phoenix. Overall job outlook in AZ is quite strong because we only have 2 reputable law schools and a major metropolitan area some call Phoenix. There is some pressure from T14 grads but it is not drastic as most of them want to end up in the eastern U.S. (I know, huge generalization) or CA I have found.

If you have any more Q's fire away or send me a PM, I'm happy to answer.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:50 pm

cjw2222 wrote:
aae723 wrote:
cjw2222 wrote:

There is a definite chance I will end up in Tucson but am also considering ASU and a few schools in midwest/east (still waiting on decisions and scholly info). I say the cost of living is next to nothing because it is. Gas is a consistent 10 cents cheaper than Phoenix and rent is minimal even when compared to Tempe. UA used to be the winner if you wanted to practice in AZ but ASU has made big strides recently and has a stronger upward trend at this moment. Realistically you are afforded the same job prospects at the two schools. Firms give intern/externships to ASU students during the academic year and UA students during the summer so even if you went to UA you could still be competitive in Phoenix. Overall job outlook in AZ is quite strong because we only have 2 reputable law schools and a major metropolitan area some call Phoenix. There is some pressure from T14 grads but it is not drastic as most of them want to end up in the eastern U.S. (I know, huge generalization) or CA I have found.

If you have any more Q's fire away or send me a PM, I'm happy to answer.

What sorts of pressure have you observed from the T-14?

cjw2222

Postby cjw2222 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:48 pm

Veyron wrote:What sorts of pressure have you observed from the T-14?

If you are referring to pressure for jobs then I have observed none. I am in last semester of UG and have not applied with any law firms for obvious reasons. I based my previous post on stories heard from friends and family. Father is a partner at mid sized Phoenix firm and has told me the general characteristics of the applicants he sees. The majority are in state grads and the biggest factor I can see is class rank (as with any region). While T14 guys certainly have an advantage, the market doesn't appear to be saturated with them to the extent of most other large cities.

Edit: My opinion expressed is for the greater Phoenix area, I have no connections with law firms in Tucson and as such am not a sound ambassador for the city. Although my experience here has me believe they are fairly similar.

JCDent

Postby JCDent » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:58 am

Accepted today via status checker. Does anyone know if UA offers any sort of travel reimbursement for visiting during the Dean's Reception, ASW sort of thing? I have to book my flights relatively soon so that my s/o can get time off work, so I fear I won't receive my information pack in time for me to make the necessary visitation arrangements. Thanks in advance for your help and best of luck to those still awaiting a decision!

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:13 am

cjw2222 wrote:
Veyron wrote:What sorts of pressure have you observed from the T-14?

If you are referring to pressure for jobs then I have observed none. I am in last semester of UG and have not applied with any law firms for obvious reasons. I based my previous post on stories heard from friends and family. Father is a partner at mid sized Phoenix firm and has told me the general characteristics of the applicants he sees. The majority are in state grads and the biggest factor I can see is class rank (as with any region). While T14 guys certainly have an advantage, the market doesn't appear to be saturated with them to the extent of most other large cities.

Edit: My opinion expressed is for the greater Phoenix area, I have no connections with law firms in Tucson and as such am not a sound ambassador for the city. Although my experience here has me believe they are fairly similar.

Interesting. TYFT.

beardown_tho

Postby beardown_tho » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:46 am

kinda laughing at the idea that the job market in Phoenix is fine. tell that to the Arizona 1Ls who still can't find unpaid summer employment

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:24 pm

beardown_tho wrote:kinda laughing at the idea that the job market in Phoenix is fine. tell that to the Arizona 1Ls who still can't find unpaid summer employment

Who said it was fine?

beardown_tho

Postby beardown_tho » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:37 pm

cjw2222 wrote:Overall job outlook in AZ is quite strong because we only have 2 reputable law schools and a major metropolitan area some call Phoenix.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:44 pm

beardown_tho wrote:
cjw2222 wrote:Overall job outlook in AZ is quite strong because we only have 2 reputable law schools and a major metropolitan area some call Phoenix.

Oh, I took this to mean that U of A places better than most T-1s because of less competition in the market, which is true. The Phx market got slammed HARD tho, no doubt about it.

cjw2222

Postby cjw2222 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:45 pm

beardown_tho wrote:

Obviously I didn't claim everyone would be swimming in 100k offers and summer jobs with top firms but through reading personal accounts I do think Phoenix still has a strong market relative to the nation. And sure there are 1Ls without summer obligations but that could be said for nearly every law school in the country. If you are competitive at either state school you stand a fair chance at gainful employment.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Obviously I didn't claim everyone would be swimming in 100k offers and summer jobs with top firms but through reading personal accounts I do think Phoenix still has a strong market relative to the nation.

Lol, no.

And sure there are 1Ls without summer obligations but that could be said for nearly every law school in the country.

If you can't get someone to hire you for free, you really need to cut your losses.

If you are competitive at either state school you stand a fair chance at gainful employment.

ITE about 50%/50%, chance of landing a legal job out of either school, only some of which will pay more than you would have made if you had gone to work right out of UG.

fi416

Postby fi416 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:56 pm

so my status checker only says "decision rendered" and said they are mailing me the decision letter.... did any of you get accepted or denied on the status checker?

SunDevil07

Postby SunDevil07 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:57 pm

fi416 wrote:so my status checker only says "decision rendered" and said they are mailing me the decision letter.... did any of you get accepted or denied on the status checker?

I don't have personal knowledge of this but I believe if you get accepted it will show up in blue in the top right, otherwise it's a waitlist or deny.

istara

Postby istara » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:08 pm

Talked to a bunch of 1Ls on campus today. They seemed to think they were doing better for summer employment than the 2Ls were last year, but that's certainly nothing objective and was coming from only a handful of students who all have offers already.

ColomboHeat

Postby ColomboHeat » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:21 pm

What kinds of jobs?

istara

Postby istara » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:35 pm

Of the 3 I talked to in detail 1 was working for a county prosecutor, 1 for a PD office and another had a paid gig at a firm. All three had these by the end of January from what they told me. I have no idea if it is at all representative.

seaboot

Postby seaboot » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:24 pm

In review since 1/18... getting a little late in the game here, waiting for the WL or rejection at this point.

Anyone with a decision recently?

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:37 pm

seaboot wrote:In review since 1/18... getting a little late in the game here, waiting for the WL or rejection at this point.

Nothing here.... been in review about as long

cjw2222

Postby cjw2222 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:52 pm

Received a phone call from Assistant Dean of Admissions on Friday. Still shocked as to the number and will likely be there this fall.

Good luck to those waiting to hear.

seaboot

Postby seaboot » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:02 pm

gaud wrote:
seaboot wrote:In review since 1/18... getting a little late in the game here, waiting for the WL or rejection at this point.

I'm hoping we hear something by the end of this month. Last years cycle appears to have most acceptances done by March with a lot of WL/rejects in April. Good luck!

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:14 pm

seaboot wrote:
gaud wrote:

I'm hoping we hear something by the end of this month. Last years cycle appears to have most acceptances done by March with a lot of WL/rejects in April. Good luck!

Thank you! You too!

PatientCreation

Postby PatientCreation » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:10 pm

I was in review for about 2 1/2 weeks and just recieved my decision on Friday.
Accepted with 16k/yr as an OOS applicant.
LSAT: 166
GPA: 3.3

Not sure if, as a Midwest native, I'm willing to move down to AZ and pay just as much as all the in-staters at sticker! I'll probably try to fly down for the Dean's Preview Day, has anyone officially found out if they offer any sort of freakin' stipend since they hold the damn preview day on the same day that the first deposit is due?

If anyone who currently attends Arizona Law, or is looking at attending Arizona Law, could PM me so we could chat about everything down in Tucson/Pheonix, I would greatly appreciate it! (i.e. weather, culture differences, jobs, where to live, best transportation, attractiveness of women :wink: ha, etc. etc.)

Thanks! Good luck to everyone with your decisions!

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:16 pm

PatientCreation wrote:I was in review for about 2 1/2 weeks and just recieved my decision on Friday.
Accepted with 16k/yr as an OOS applicant.
LSAT: 166
GPA: 3.3

Not sure if, as a Midwest native, I'm willing to move down to AZ and pay just as much as all the in-staters at sticker! I'll probably try to fly down for the Dean's Preview Day, has anyone officially found out if they offer any sort of freakin' stipend since they hold the damn preview day on the same day that the first deposit is due?

If anyone who currently attends Arizona Law, or is looking at attending Arizona Law, could PM me so we could chat about everything down in Tucson/Pheonix, I would greatly appreciate it! (i.e. weather, culture differences, jobs, where to live, best transportation, attractiveness of women :wink: ha, etc. etc.)

Thanks! Good luck to everyone with your decisions!

I don't go there but am probably more familiar with the AZ market than any other poster on this site. I'm also relatively well versed in Tucson. Ask away.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”