University of Arizona

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
barklm
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby barklm » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:02 am

Decided to post my timeline!

I actually had really quick turnaround from the date that I submitted my application to the date that I learned of my decision via status checker with my admissions binder arriving about a week later. (About a 2 week TAT total.)

When it comes to scholarship information, however, I received the same lag as everybody else. When I received my binder and noticed it lacked a scholarship letter I went ahead and called to get an idea about when that information would be released and was told that it would be going out within the next week. (I made that call on 2/9.)

While I haven't received my formal scholarship letter yet I did receive a phone call on 2/18 that detailed my award amount. Perhaps this means that others could put a call in and get their information that way? Living out-of-state I know that mail can lag so the information itself could be available substantially before the letters arrive.

User avatar
byronmullens
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby byronmullens » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:04 am

barklm wrote:Decided to post my timeline!

I actually had really quick turnaround from the date that I submitted my application to the date that I learned of my decision via status checker with my admissions binder arriving about a week later. (About a 2 week TAT total.)

When it comes to scholarship information, however, I received the same lag as everybody else. When I received my binder and noticed it lacked a scholarship letter I went ahead and called to get an idea about when that information would be released and was told that it would be going out within the next week. (I made that call on 2/9.)

While I haven't received my formal scholarship letter yet I did receive a phone call on 2/18 that detailed my award amount. Perhaps this means that others could put a call in and get their information that way? Living out-of-state I know that mail can lag so the information itself could be available substantially before the letters arrive.


Actually after I was accepted 2/10 the first piece of mail I have received was the scholarship letter on 2/19, I have yet to revive an admissions packet and I am out of state. Not complaining though as I am happy about the order!

buchy2009
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby buchy2009 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:16 pm

Just received my scholarship letter via snail mail today!

esch8
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:39 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby esch8 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:59 pm

what did you get?

buchy2009
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby buchy2009 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:02 pm

esch8 wrote:what did you get?


16K, "good academic standing" stipulation

ColomboHeat
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby ColomboHeat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:09 pm

congrats all! mine was postmarked 2/17 (10k in state) and I believe "good academic standing" is the preferable of stipulations 8)

buchy2009
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby buchy2009 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:10 pm

ColomboHeat wrote:congrats all! mine was postmarked 2/17 (10k in state) and I believe "good academic standing" is the preferable of stipulations 8)


Congrats to you too! Maybe someone has already commented on this earlier, but has anyone tried to negotiate with them?

User avatar
jarv1506
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby jarv1506 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:15 pm

Congrats to everyone! Postmarked 2/17, 18k. Stipulation: 'good academic standing.'

ColomboHeat
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby ColomboHeat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:35 pm

buchy2009 wrote:
ColomboHeat wrote:congrats all! mine was postmarked 2/17 (10k in state) and I believe "good academic standing" is the preferable of stipulations 8)


Congrats to you too! Maybe someone has already commented on this earlier, but has anyone tried to negotiate with them?


I searched and found this post from last year's cycle:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=109398&p=2837362&hilit=arizona+negotiate+scholarship#p2837362

but that was about it.

buchy2009
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby buchy2009 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:39 pm

ColomboHeat wrote:
buchy2009 wrote:
ColomboHeat wrote:congrats all! mine was postmarked 2/17 (10k in state) and I believe "good academic standing" is the preferable of stipulations 8)


Congrats to you too! Maybe someone has already commented on this earlier, but has anyone tried to negotiate with them?


I searched and found this post from last year's cycle:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=109398&p=2837362&hilit=arizona+negotiate+scholarship#p2837362

but that was about it.


Great, thanks for the search.

esch8
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:39 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby esch8 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:34 pm

buchy2009 wrote:
esch8 wrote:what did you get?


16K, "good academic standing" stipulation



Congrats! that's good

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby Burgstaller04 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:43 pm

Got the scholly letter today in Texas. $20k per year.

juliachild-ish
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby juliachild-ish » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:46 pm

Got my scholarship offer today. I got the full ride, with the stipulation of maintaining a 3.2 GPA. However, they didn't clarify in the letter whether or not they consider me an Arizona resident (I am a native and still pay taxes/vote/have my car registered there, but have lived in another state for the last few months). I'm sort of annoyed at the lack of clarification, since one offer is free and the other is still $16k a year. True full ride I might consider...I really don't want to take out lots of loans. Guess I'll give them a call.

UA7789
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:47 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby UA7789 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:07 pm

Just got my offer today also. 16k per year with the "good standing" stipulation. I am also an AZ resident and UA undergrad currently.

gummy19vp
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby gummy19vp » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:05 pm

8k scholarship per year not going to be enough though

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby Veyron » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:07 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:Got my scholarship offer today. I got the full ride, with the stipulation of maintaining a 3.2 GPA. However, they didn't clarify in the letter whether or not they consider me an Arizona resident (I am a native and still pay taxes/vote/have my car registered there, but have lived in another state for the last few months). I'm sort of annoyed at the lack of clarification, since one offer is free and the other is still $16k a year. True full ride I might consider...I really don't want to take out lots of loans. Guess I'll give them a call.


Do they still have that thing where they give the very top people stipends? You might want to ask about that if they do.

Escuate
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:35 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby Escuate » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:58 pm

What is considered at full ride at U of A? I am from CA and received 25k/year which would cover all of in state tuition. Do they ever offer more to out of state applicants (I would like to try negotiating if this is possible) Also, is anyone familiar with rules relating to establishing residency in AZ after 1L.

Thanks. :)

User avatar
usuallyjustlurks
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby usuallyjustlurks » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:07 am

Escuate wrote: Also, is anyone familiar with rules relating to establishing residency in AZ after 1L.

Thanks. :)


As someone who knows a bunch of grad students at UA: it's extremely difficult to establish residency in AZ if you come here for an educational program and don't reside here for a year before the program begins (when I say "extremely difficult" I mean I know someone who was born here and lived here all his life and then left for 2 years, came back to start a Master's program and after a year living here was still not able to establish in-state residency for tuition purposes). I've heard the law school sometimes considers certain people in-state for admission, but then they do not all get in-state tuition. Living in Tucson is cheap and the school's not as expensive as many others, but don't count on securing in-state if you're out of state now.

JakeL
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby JakeL » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:21 am

In with 42k.

sab0tage
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:10 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby sab0tage » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:34 am

JakeL wrote:In with 42k.


Figuring your the same guy on LSN. We got very similar numbers and the same exact schollys to IUB and U of A.

These are my two top choices at this point. You have any thoughts?

JakeL
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby JakeL » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:13 am

sab0tage wrote:
JakeL wrote:In with 42k.


Figuring your the same guy on LSN. We got very similar numbers and the same exact schollys to IUB and U of A.

These are my two top choices at this point. You have any thoughts?


Yea, that's me! IUB is up there for me, but UA is probably out-although I think Tucson is awesome. I just don't think I can justify paying 3x as much for Zona, and there are a few schools I'm still waiting to hear from. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss some more.

sab0tage
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:10 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby sab0tage » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:04 am

JakeL wrote:
sab0tage wrote:
JakeL wrote:In with 42k.


Figuring your the same guy on LSN. We got very similar numbers and the same exact schollys to IUB and U of A.

These are my two top choices at this point. You have any thoughts?


Yea, that's me! IUB is up there for me, but UA is probably out-although I think Tucson is awesome. I just don't think I can justify paying 3x as much for Zona, and there are a few schools I'm still waiting to hear from. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss some more.


Yeah I am in-state so the difference in cost is not nearly that large. You going to Spring Law Day out in Bloomington?

User avatar
istara
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby istara » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:34 pm

FYI, I went in today to thank my LoR professors and decided to stop by financial aid and ask some questions. There will be more batches of scholarships coming out and the admits website should be live within the next couple of days with all of their updates. I talked to Katy Grounds and FWIW she was great to talk to, was very upfront and very informative.

User avatar
berkeleyman
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:59 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby berkeleyman » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:12 pm

Decision rendered 2/24.....it doesn't say I was admitted‚ rejected?

sab0tage
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:10 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby sab0tage » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:54 pm

berkeleyman wrote:Decision rendered 2/24.....it doesn't say I was admitted‚ rejected?


Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if you were accepted it should say so right at the top of the status page in blue lettering. Sorry :(

I just got dinged yesterday myself (@ Minnesota),it doesn't feel good, even at a reach.

edit: bold
Last edited by sab0tage on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], sonyco and 11 guests