University of Arizona

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby Burgstaller04 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:44 pm

Anybody else get a notebook without a sholly offer in it?

gummy19vp
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby gummy19vp » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:47 pm

Moi aussi

buchy2009
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby buchy2009 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:03 pm

Yes, I think the scholarship info comes a couple weeks later. But I could be mixing it up with other schools...

sab0tage
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:10 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby sab0tage » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:10 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Anybody else get a notebook without a sholly offer in it?


Yeah thats how the acceptance packets come, with scholarship info in a separate letter a few weeks later. Seems they just sent out a batch of scholarship offers a few days ago.

Any Tucson natives lurking in this thread? I am debating some in-state/OOS options.

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby Burgstaller04 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:31 pm

buchy2009 wrote:Yes, I think the scholarship info comes a couple weeks later. But I could be mixing it up with other schools...

Sweet. I was hoping to get some $$

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:31 pm

sab0tage wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:Anybody else get a notebook without a sholly offer in it?


Yeah thats how the acceptance packets come, with scholarship info in a separate letter a few weeks later. Seems they just sent out a batch of scholarship offers a few days ago.

Any Tucson natives lurking in this thread? I am debating some in-state/OOS options.


Does kicking it frequently on 4th Street make me a Tuscon native?

sab0tage
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:10 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby sab0tage » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:04 pm

Veyron wrote:Does kicking it frequently on 4th Street make me a Tuscon native?


I am assuming you mean 4th ave and Tucson.
Although its been a minute since I have lived there so maybe there is something going on 4th street too. I doubt they have changed the spelling of the city though.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:13 pm

sab0tage wrote:
Veyron wrote:Does kicking it frequently on 4th Street make me a Tuscon native?


I am assuming you mean 4th ave and Tucson.
Although its been a minute since I have lived there so maybe there is something going on 4th street too. I doubt they have changed the spelling of the city though.


I guess this means that it doesn't, huh? :wink:

sab0tage
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:10 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby sab0tage » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:27 pm

Veyron wrote:
sab0tage wrote:
Veyron wrote:Does kicking it frequently on 4th Street make me a Tuscon native?


I am assuming you mean 4th ave and Tucson.
Although its been a minute since I have lived there so maybe there is something going on 4th street too. I doubt they have changed the spelling of the city though.


I guess this means that it doesn't, huh? :wink:


Indeed.

User avatar
powerlawyer06
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:20 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby powerlawyer06 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:35 pm

.
Last edited by powerlawyer06 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:37 pm

sab0tage wrote:
Veyron wrote:
sab0tage wrote:
Veyron wrote:Does kicking it frequently on 4th Street make me a Tuscon native?


I am assuming you mean 4th ave and Tucson.
Although its been a minute since I have lived there so maybe there is something going on 4th street too. I doubt they have changed the spelling of the city though.


I guess this means that it doesn't, huh? :wink:


Indeed.


Its cool, Tempe FTW!

User avatar
istara
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby istara » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:48 pm

I've lived in Tucson for ~9 years now, went to undergrad here and know the city quite well if you have any questions. Off the top of my head, the weather is excellent, it's one of the nations most bikeable cities, 4th avenue can be good times, and our basketball team may be returning to its former glory (not that that should really influence such an important decision, but I can't help but be excited for March)..

I haven't gotten any scholarship info yet myself, but I'm still hopeful despite my dreadful LSAT score. If the next round or two pass without me hearing anything I may go see who I can talk to in financial aid.

User avatar
usuallyjustlurks
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby usuallyjustlurks » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:37 pm

I've lived in Tucson ~7 years, did my undergrad at UA, and know a ton of people who grew up here. Winters are best in the country but crowded, summers are absolute hell but empty. Great place for hikers, bikers, and climbers (golfers and spa-goers too if you're into that). Best sunsets in the world. Great food. Culture is quirky, but also has a big socal influence at UA. It's possible to live in Tucson without a car, but I wouldn't recommend it because it's very spread out. Very affordable place to live in general, I'd say.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:38 pm

usuallyjustlurks wrote:I've lived in Tucson ~7 years, did my undergrad at UA, and know a ton of people who grew up here. Winters are best in the country but crowded, summers are absolute hell but empty. Great place for hikers, bikers, and climbers (golfers and spa-goers too if you're into that). Best sunsets in the world. Great food. Culture is quirky, but also has a big socal influence at UA. It's possible to live in Tucson without a car, but I wouldn't recommend it because it's very spread out. Very affordable place to live in general, I'd say.


Wuss.

User avatar
usuallyjustlurks
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby usuallyjustlurks » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:59 pm

Veyron wrote:
usuallyjustlurks wrote:I've lived in Tucson ~7 years, did my undergrad at UA, and know a ton of people who grew up here. Winters are best in the country but crowded, summers are absolute hell but empty. Great place for hikers, bikers, and climbers (golfers and spa-goers too if you're into that). Best sunsets in the world. Great food. Culture is quirky, but also has a big socal influence at UA. It's possible to live in Tucson without a car, but I wouldn't recommend it because it's very spread out. Very affordable place to live in general, I'd say.


Wuss.



Hahaha, fair enough, I am originally from the Northeast/Midwest so that's my excuse. Some people handle the heat better than others. It drives me crazy, but so does unearthing my car from a foot of snow. I just think it bears mentioning because I listed a bunch of great out-doorsy stuff in Tucson, but people should know that from May to October you basically stay indoors as if it's winter because it's too hot to do anything active outside.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:03 pm

usuallyjustlurks wrote:
Veyron wrote:
usuallyjustlurks wrote:I've lived in Tucson ~7 years, did my undergrad at UA, and know a ton of people who grew up here. Winters are best in the country but crowded, summers are absolute hell but empty. Great place for hikers, bikers, and climbers (golfers and spa-goers too if you're into that). Best sunsets in the world. Great food. Culture is quirky, but also has a big socal influence at UA. It's possible to live in Tucson without a car, but I wouldn't recommend it because it's very spread out. Very affordable place to live in general, I'd say.


Wuss.



Hahaha, fair enough, I am originally from the Northeast/Midwest so that's my excuse. Some people handle the heat better than others. It drives me crazy, but so does unearthing my car from a foot of snow. I just think it bears mentioning because I listed a bunch of great out-doorsy stuff in Tucson, but people should know that from May to October you basically stay indoors as if it's winter because it's too hot to do anything active outside.


But hiking in 100+ degree weather is so much more invigorating!

Also, if someone doesn't know that Tucson is hot in the summer, I doubt that they would be smart enough to get into a true TTT, let alone U of A.

User avatar
usuallyjustlurks
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby usuallyjustlurks » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:09 pm

Veyron wrote:
usuallyjustlurks wrote:
Veyron wrote:
usuallyjustlurks wrote:I've lived in Tucson ~7 years, did my undergrad at UA, and know a ton of people who grew up here. Winters are best in the country but crowded, summers are absolute hell but empty. Great place for hikers, bikers, and climbers (golfers and spa-goers too if you're into that). Best sunsets in the world. Great food. Culture is quirky, but also has a big socal influence at UA. It's possible to live in Tucson without a car, but I wouldn't recommend it because it's very spread out. Very affordable place to live in general, I'd say.


Wuss.



Hahaha, fair enough, I am originally from the Northeast/Midwest so that's my excuse. Some people handle the heat better than others. It drives me crazy, but so does unearthing my car from a foot of snow. I just think it bears mentioning because I listed a bunch of great out-doorsy stuff in Tucson, but people should know that from May to October you basically stay indoors as if it's winter because it's too hot to do anything active outside.


But hiking in 100+ degree weather is so much more invigorating!

Also, if someone doesn't know that Tucson is hot in the summer, I doubt that they would be smart enough to get into a true TTT, let alone U of A.


True! :D Just wanted to give my overall opinion. I think it's a fun place to live and have enjoyed my time in Tucson a lot. Many people handle the heat here just fine. It's not as hot as Phoenix, which is worth noting.

User avatar
istara
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby istara » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:32 pm

I only stop riding my bike to work when it's below 40 degrees in the morning. Riding/hiking/whatever in 100+ doesn't phase me or most any of the natives I know, but YMMV, just take lots of water, go early, and watch for rattlesnakes ;)

Really though, it's only over 100 degrees from around June to August and June is the only truly unbearable month (IMHO) because the monsoon season lasts from July to September, which cools things off in the afternoon. If you've never seen a real monsoon / lightning storm before, it's really quite an experience. And if that's still too much heat there's always the Catalina's. 30-40 minute drive from UA (or you can hike it) and you can be at 9,000 feet enjoying 10-20 degree cooler weather in Summerhaven.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby Capitol A » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:58 am

Its cool, Tempe FTW!

TITCR.
Hahaha, fair enough, I am originally from the Northeast/Midwest so that's my excuse. Some people handle the heat better than others. It drives me crazy, but so does unearthing my car from a foot of snow. I just think it bears mentioning because I listed a bunch of great out-doorsy stuff in Tucson, but people should know that from May to October you basically stay indoors as if it's winter because it's too hot to do anything active outside.

As someone who has lived in Phoenix my entire life, I can honestly say that they heat does not have to stop you from doing anything. I played a little league game on the hottest day on record in Phx (122F) and barely noticed. I'm a cyclist, and we ride 20+ hrs/week in the summer because of the long days. You just have to bring water, wear sunscreen, etc. If anything, I'm more miserable on a day like today, 60 and drizzling.
btw, anyone else notice it only seems to rain on the weekends? It's rained like 6 times in the past 12 months, and always on the weekend. I'm getting sick of it :lol:

User avatar
usuallyjustlurks
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby usuallyjustlurks » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:11 pm

Capitol A wrote:
Its cool, Tempe FTW!

TITCR.
Hahaha, fair enough, I am originally from the Northeast/Midwest so that's my excuse. Some people handle the heat better than others. It drives me crazy, but so does unearthing my car from a foot of snow. I just think it bears mentioning because I listed a bunch of great out-doorsy stuff in Tucson, but people should know that from May to October you basically stay indoors as if it's winter because it's too hot to do anything active outside.

As someone who has lived in Phoenix my entire life, I can honestly say that they heat does not have to stop you from doing anything. I played a little league game on the hottest day on record in Phx (122F) and barely noticed. I'm a cyclist, and we ride 20+ hrs/week in the summer because of the long days. You just have to bring water, wear sunscreen, etc. If anything, I'm more miserable on a day like today, 60 and drizzling.
btw, anyone else notice it only seems to rain on the weekends? It's rained like 6 times in the past 12 months, and always on the weekend. I'm getting sick of it :lol:


My turn to call someone a wuss because I totally went hiking in the Rincons yesterday :D Try doing that on a Sunday in February somewhere else!

juliachild-ish
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby juliachild-ish » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:20 pm

Have to chime in--I am a native Arizonan, but I have lived in some true winter climates (Massachusetts and now Illinois), and I definitely prefer a hot summer to a cold winter. I'm from Phoenix, and I run outdoors year round. True, in the summer I drink a lot more water and do it in the early mornings or late afternoons, but it's certainly doable. Your body really does adapt and get much better at keeping itself cool. And, like others pointed out, the great thing about Arizona is that, even in the dead of summer, you can drive for a couple hours to a higher elevation and cool down by 30-40 degrees. You can't escape the winter cold like that anywhere that I know of.

So basically, Arizona rocks! Don't let the two or three months of heat deter you.

sab0tage
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:10 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby sab0tage » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:30 pm

I'll go ahead and throw my totally superfluous hat into this ring...

Tucson in the summertime is hot.
Phoenix in the summertime is hotter.

While the heat certainly is no joke, it doesn't really contribute to a decrease in the quality of life. That is unless you're forced to utilize either city's awful public transportation system. If you have a car with air conditioning and you are not homeless, the heat is little more than an annoyance. I play basketball outside year round. Go hiking year round, etc.
I am not so sure about those twenty mile bike rides in 120 degree weather, but if it floats your boat, have at it.
And the winter/fall/spring weather certainly makes up for it.

User avatar
istara
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby istara » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:23 pm

sab0tage wrote:I am not so sure about those twenty mile bike rides in 120 degree weather, but if it floats your boat, have at it.


I'm not sure about 20 mile rides either. 80 mile bike rides in 120 are much better, but only when the beer is really cold at the end.

I needed to comment on the public transit though. I didn't own a car until after undergrad, and even now my car is only a hobby. Between Suntran and a bicycle, I'm pretty set except for when I'm feeling lazy. Most people will knock the bus system and it's certainly not the best in the country, but it's the best in Arizona and can definitely come in handy. I know lots of people during undergrad who got to school by bus. That said, they only run until about 6-7pm, so commuting via bus after those late nights in the library might be more of a trick.

I know nothing of Phoenix's public transit except that they have been trying to improve it.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: University of Arizona

Postby Veyron » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:27 pm

istara wrote:
sab0tage wrote:I am not so sure about those twenty mile bike rides in 120 degree weather, but if it floats your boat, have at it.


I'm not sure about 20 mile rides either. 80 mile bike rides in 120 are much better, but only when the beer is really cold at the end.

I needed to comment on the public transit though. I didn't own a car until after undergrad, and even now my car is only a hobby. Between Suntran and a bicycle, I'm pretty set except for when I'm feeling lazy. Most people will knock the bus system and it's certainly not the best in the country, but it's the best in Arizona and can definitely come in handy. I know lots of people during undergrad who got to school by bus. That said, they only run until about 6-7pm, so commuting via bus after those late nights in the library might be more of a trick.

I know nothing of Phoenix's public transit except that they have been trying to improve it.


I knew people that used to ride bikes from the Valley to Tucson in the summer. Thaaaaat, my friends, is suicidal.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: University of Arizona

Postby Capitol A » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:09 pm

I've ridden 100+ miles in phx summers many times. Its not ideal, but you live with it.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”