University of Arizona Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sully

New

Re: University of Arizona

Post by sully » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:12 pm

I don't have the letter in front of me for exact wording, but my scholarship letter added (as somewhat of an afterthought) that my award may change if I later obtain in-state residency, or work as a teaching assistant, etc. Does anyone know the details of this? What are the chances of it changing, how much would it change...? It sort of troubling since I had planned on having in-state tuition at some point.

mala2

Bronze

Post by mala2 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:46 pm

It means that the percentage of your tuition that is covered by your scholarship will remain the same. If your tuition costs go down for whatever reason, your scholarship will go down so that it covers the same percentage. hth

sully

New

Post by sully » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:27 pm

mala2 wrote:It means that the percentage of your tuition that is covered by your scholarship will remain the same. If your tuition costs go down for whatever reason, your scholarship will go down so that it covers the same percentage. hth

thanks, I wonder why not just give a X% scholarship then.

ColomboHeat

New

Post by ColomboHeat » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:04 pm

haha probably because it wouldn't look as enticing without the big number and a dollar sign? :roll:

And I figure the school offers fixed scholarship amounts that will not fluctuate with (the inevitable) increases in tuition prices over our next three years. If they put a percentage scholarship offer in the letter, they would be obligated to give you more money each year if the tuition price went up.

sully

New

Post by sully » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:17 pm

ColomboHeat wrote:haha probably because it wouldn't look as enticing without the big number and a dollar sign? :roll:

And I figure the school offers fixed scholarship amounts that will not fluctuate with (the inevitable) increases in tuition prices over our next three years. If they put a percentage scholarship offer in the letter, they would be obligated to give you more money each year if the tuition price went up.
Hahaha It should have read: If you make successful efforts to reduce your tuition, we will take the benefit of whatever reduction you receive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:19 pm

Veyron wrote:
PatientCreation wrote:I was in review for about 2 1/2 weeks and just recieved my decision on Friday.
Accepted with 16k/yr as an OOS applicant.
LSAT: 166
GPA: 3.3

Not sure if, as a Midwest native, I'm willing to move down to AZ and pay just as much as all the in-staters at sticker! I'll probably try to fly down for the Dean's Preview Day, has anyone officially found out if they offer any sort of freakin' stipend since they hold the damn preview day on the same day that the first deposit is due?

If anyone who currently attends Arizona Law, or is looking at attending Arizona Law, could PM me so we could chat about everything down in Tucson/Pheonix, I would greatly appreciate it! (i.e. weather, culture differences, jobs, where to live, best transportation, attractiveness of women :wink: ha, etc. etc.)

Thanks! Good luck to everyone with your decisions!
I don't go there but am probably more familiar with the AZ market than any other poster on this site. I'm also relatively well versed in Tucson. Ask away.
I've spent some time in T-Town, and have lived in Phoenix all my life. i would be happy to answer whatever you need to know about the region as well.

ColomboHeat

New

Post by ColomboHeat » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:28 pm

Tucson & Phoenix might as well be different planets.

Speaking of our fair city, here is Phoenix in a nutshell:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... ng-suspect

Tucson is... different.

PatientCreation

New

Post by PatientCreation » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:22 am

ColomboHeat wrote:Tucson & Phoenix might as well be different planets.

Speaking of our fair city, here is Phoenix in a nutshell:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... ng-suspect

Tucson is... different.
HAHAHAHAHA
but seriously...
That's hillarious.

JCDent

New

Post by JCDent » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:06 pm

I've heard that UA 1Ls and 2Ls are having a tough time finding even legal volunteer positions. Can anyone (preferably a student there) comment on this? I'm not surprised to hear the job market is rough, but THIS rough is a little unsettling.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:00 pm

JCDent wrote:I've heard that UA 1Ls and 2Ls are having a tough time finding even legal volunteer positions. Can anyone (preferably a student there) comment on this? I'm not surprised to hear the job market is rough, but THIS rough is a little unsettling.
Some do, some don't depends on the student, rank etc. Guess what, its like that at every non T-14 (and some of those as well for 1L year). Deal.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:16 pm

Veyron wrote:
JCDent wrote:I've heard that UA 1Ls and 2Ls are having a tough time finding even legal volunteer positions. Can anyone (preferably a student there) comment on this? I'm not surprised to hear the job market is rough, but THIS rough is a little unsettling.
Some do, some don't depends on the student, rank etc. Guess what, its like that at every non T-14 (and some of those as well for 1L year). Deal.
Yeah, I think if you're starting law school you should do so with the understanding that you are in for a challenge, in more ways than one. Which is fine, but if it's unsettling to you that jobs for people with basically no marketable skills, and/or no professional experience are hard to come by...you must have been asleep or travelling through space for the last several years.

JCDent

New

Post by JCDent » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:23 pm

Right sorry I should have been more specific in my previous post and stated that I was hoping to get some (semi)quantitative data from someone actually attending the school. But thanks for the generic, non-informative responses and suggestion that I have no concept of employment reality.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:45 pm

JCDent wrote:Right sorry I should have been more specific in my previous post and stated that I was hoping to get some (semi)quantitative data from someone actually attending the school. But thanks for the generic, non-informative responses and suggestion that I have no concept of employment reality.
You asked, we answered. Sorry it wasn't the info you were looking/hoping for.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JCDent

New

Post by JCDent » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:51 pm

No, you provided me with generalized speculation. The poster above you, who is a student at UA answered, for which I thank them very much for the info.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:57 pm

JCDent wrote:No, you provided me with generalized speculation. The poster above you, who is a student at UA answered, for which I thank them very much for the info.
That counts as semi quantitative data? He just said what we said.

seaboot

New

Post by seaboot » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:22 pm

Status checker changed from in review 1/18 to in review 3/28. Anyone else seeing movement?

Really hoping my residency helps my slightly sub-median numbers...

mexicanwa

New

Post by mexicanwa » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:37 pm

Anyone know when movement is expected?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ColomboHeat

New

Post by ColomboHeat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:39 pm

Lawquacious - perhaps this is too difficult to answer - but could you ballpark the approximate percent of available summer positions that you think you applied to?

I ask this in reference to your saying that you may have been too selective. Could you figure having applied to 25%... or maybe half of what was available to you?

Sorry in advance if my question is confusing, it was confusing to write lol :roll:

Arizona 1L

New

Post by Arizona 1L » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:08 pm

All, I'm a current Arizona 1L and I think there have been a few “inaccuracies” about UA Law that I felt compelled to address…
First of all, it has not been exceptionally difficult for 1Ls to get volunteer legal employment… Yes, the market is bad, so if you’re holding out for a paid job… that might be a difficult task..

Being a small & intimate law school, people talk about where they will be this summer and the number of students still looking for a job is a small minority. I have friends working all over Arizona (including a large number in Phoenix) and in other states. I was lucky enough to get a great summer job in California.

While the situation lawquacious is experiencing is not unheard of, it’s definitely the exception, not the rule. Keep in mind that those 10 jobs probably went to other UA students… also, I think it’s useful to keep in mind your expectations and reality… if you only apply to jobs with large firms in NYC or ridiculously high demand DC jobs then, yes, your job search will be difficult. That said, people are UA are getting jobs for the summer…

I know that was long, but I felt compelled to get that side of the story to you individuals considering UA….

I’m definitely willing to answer any other questions you have about UA Law… I may not have the answers to everything but I’ll try my best… so send me a message and I’ll try to respond as quickly as the life of a 1L will allow… Best of luck to all of you!

mala2

Bronze

Post by mala2 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:49 pm

Arizona 1L wrote:All, I'm a current Arizona 1L and I think there have been a few “inaccuracies” about UA Law that I felt compelled to address…
First of all, it has not been exceptionally difficult for 1Ls to get volunteer legal employment… Yes, the market is bad, so if you’re holding out for a paid job… that might be a difficult task..

Being a small & intimate law school, people talk about where they will be this summer and the number of students still looking for a job is a small minority. I have friends working all over Arizona (including a large number in Phoenix) and in other states. I was lucky enough to get a great summer job in California.

While the situation lawquacious is experiencing is not unheard of, it’s definitely the exception, not the rule. Keep in mind that those 10 jobs probably went to other UA students… also, I think it’s useful to keep in mind your expectations and reality… if you only apply to jobs with large firms in NYC or ridiculously high demand DC jobs then, yes, your job search will be difficult. That said, people are UA are getting jobs for the summer…

I know that was long, but I felt compelled to get that side of the story to you individuals considering UA….

I’m definitely willing to answer any other questions you have about UA Law… I may not have the answers to everything but I’ll try my best… so send me a message and I’ll try to respond as quickly as the life of a 1L will allow… Best of luck to all of you!

thanks for the info!

buchy2009

Bronze

Post by buchy2009 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:01 am

When I spoke with the associate dean associated with the career services office, I was very impressed…. she said that about 1/3 of students receive paid employment their first summer, 1/3 set it up as an externship, and 1/3 work in volunteer positions. However, she said that her office's philosophy is centered around making sure every 1L has employment of some kind during the summer. Starting in November, that is the sole focus of career services.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Aldenita

New

Post by Aldenita » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:30 pm

I'd much rather live in Tempe, but U of A offered be twice as much money as ASU did.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:02 pm

Aldenita wrote:I'd much rather live in Tempe, but U of A offered be twice as much money as ASU did.
Tucson is half as appealing to most people.

acmass

New

Post by acmass » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:31 pm

Went DR today...with no "congratulations" at the top like other people had. Looks like a ding or WL. Seriously upset about this...

istara

Bronze

Post by istara » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:25 pm

Tucson is half as appealing to most people.
Most of the Tucson people I know would say the same about Phoenix.

Point being, I suppose, for those trying to decide between the two: they are two very different places.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”