OU 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sooner28

OU 2011 applicants

Postby sooner28 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:35 pm

I didn't see a thread for OU so I figured I would get it started. I received the call telling me I was admitted November 10. My numbers are both above the 75th percentile, and I am an Oklahoma resident.

patrickd139

Re: OU 2011 applicants

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:37 pm

Congrats. Current 2L. If there are any questions, fire away.

sooner28

Postby sooner28 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:40 pm

Thanks, I will definitely take you up on the offer in the near future.

skirschner1

Postby skirschner1 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:47 pm

Complete as of 11/1.

skirschner1

Postby skirschner1 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:42 pm

Pending Review as of yesterday. Anyone else out there waiting to hear back?

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:51 pm

boomer?

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:52 pm

OklahomasOK

Postby OklahomasOK » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:58 pm

In review as of the 28th. Currently an undergrad here.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:02 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:In review as of the 28th. Currently an undergrad here.

Oh what is your major?

OklahomasOK

Postby OklahomasOK » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:05 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:

Oh what is your major?

Business Econ, yours? I hear the polysci department here is a joke, potential prelaw 0L's should avoid it like the plague.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:21 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:

Oh what is your major?

Business Econ, yours? I hear the polysci department here is a joke, potential prelaw 0L's should avoid it like the plague.

I hear polysci majors know that there is no "y" in poli sci...just sayin...

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:51 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clS9XT_d9ZY

QF OSU is never, ever going to win the Big12 south

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:27 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
OklahomasOK wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:

Oh what is your major?

I hear polysci majors know that there is no "y" in poli sci...just sayin...

I hate it when couples fight.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:49 pm

Applied to OU before Thanksgiving with a 2.9 164--in state. Is this good enough? I worked on my application for about six weeks, so I'm hoping its a good one and that will push me over the hump.

Thanks, and good luck at the Big 12 championship.

OklahomasOK

Postby OklahomasOK » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:11 pm

Flips88 wrote:
I hate it when couples fight.

He needs to stop reading over my should while I'm checking TLS in class.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:15 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:Applied to OU before Thanksgiving with a 2.9 164--in state. Is this good enough? I worked on my application for about six weeks, so I'm hoping its a good one and that will push me over the hump.

Thanks, and good luck at the Big 12 championship.

You're definitely in; try to haggle and get some $. They're good about working with you at OU.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:59 pm

Cool. I've heard great things about OU and I think living in OKC would be cool. Anyone know what kind of salery is possible in OKC? What about for those who don't want to work for a mindless corporation.. How much less?

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:21 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:Cool. I've heard great things about OU and I think living in OKC would be cool. Anyone know what kind of salery is possible in OKC? What about for those who don't want to work for a mindless corporation.. How much less?

LOL, you have a lot to learn about the legal profession my friend.

The "Big Law" Associates in OKC/Tulsa that I know (only the top students at OU have a shot at this, and there are no NLJ 250 firms headquartered in Oklahoma) started out in the low $100k range. Of course this may vary. A more reasonable starting salary to expect (particularly in the public interest field, since it sounds like that might be what you're interested in) would be in the $35k-$55k range.

But before you sign those loan docs for school, you first must understand that it is really tough right now. I know that a LOT of people at OU are struggling to find any type of employment (just like everywhere else for that matter). If you go into law school and interviews with an anti-business mindset, it might make the already difficult task of finding a job that can help you pay off your loans even tougher. But I'll go ahead and defer to Patrick's expertise here. I'm sure he knows much more about this stuff than I do, since all of my experiences with OU Law are second-hand.

Anyways, Boomer Sooner! And Nuck Febraska.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:39 pm

You don't have any insight into my knowledge of the legal profession, friend. But thanks for your info. Yeah I didn't say anything about "biglaw" but I guess you are saying 110k or so possible but hard to find, prolly 40k or so public interest.. That is about what I imagined.

Still, anyone with any experience or realiable knowledge (IE they have a brother who works for a larger firm in OK) can report, verify what one could expect out of OU?

I'm not anti business I would would just be picky on the kindof business I worked for. Lots of great companies provide a real service without screwing people--though it seems the more money you make/take corresponds with how many unintended negative consequences your business has nowadays.

NU_Jet55 wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:Cool. I've heard great things about OU and I think living in OKC would be cool. Anyone know what kind of salery is possible in OKC? What about for those who don't want to work for a mindless corporation.. How much less?

LOL, you have a lot to learn about the legal profession my friend.

The "Big Law" Associates in OKC/Tulsa that I know (only the top students at OU have a shot at this, and there are no NLJ 250 firms headquartered in Oklahoma) started out in the low $100k range. Of course this may vary. A more reasonable starting salary to expect (particularly in the public interest field, since it sounds like that might be what you're interested in) would be in the $35k-$55k range.

But before you sign those loan docs for school, you first must understand that it is really tough right now. I know that a LOT of people at OU are struggling to find any type of employment (just like everywhere else for that matter). If you go into law school and interviews with an anti-business mindset, it might make the already difficult task of finding a job that can help you pay off your loans even tougher. But I'll go ahead and defer to Patrick's expertise here. I'm sure he knows much more about this stuff than I do, since all of my experiences with OU Law are second-hand.

Anyways, Boomer Sooner! And Nuck Febraska.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:57 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:LOL, you have a lot to learn about the legal profession my friend.

I'd have to agree with almost all of this post, especially the bolded.

My experience here has led me to conclude there are basically three tiers of people at OU w/r/t paying clerkships for 2L summer.

Tier One: the "merit cutoff" (i.e., based on grades/personality) for paid employment of any kind next summer seems to be right around the top 12-15 people (again, that's people, not percent). About half of them clerked last year at the same firms.

Tier Two: Then there's the IP group (~5?) who have science backgrounds who seem to be doing relatively well. Then there are those (~5?) whose father/aunt/third cousin/whomever is their contact at the firm and they got a job there. Most members of these last two groups are also objectively good students (i.e. top 33% ish).

Tier Three: the other 170 or so law students are volunteering their time at DAs offices, doing an externship with a judge, working a wage-labor job (~$10-15/hour) at a small shop, RA, or studying abroad. It's still a bit early, and some people might get picked up by some of the smaller firms. As of today, I know of at least two people in the top 10 (people) who do not have paid offers next summer. They're not doormats with no interviewing skills either. It's just tough out there.

"Market rate" in Oklahoma is around $1700-2000 per week. A vast majority of the firms, including almost all of the "big" ones, are vehemently first half only. Total number of slots for these firms combined probably hovers around 40 state wide. This includes all of the slots which go to law students in law schools not named OU (SMU, Tulsa, UT, T14, Vandy, ND, WUSTL and Arkansas are names I heard thrown about a lot during interview season).

I'm not an expert on working in-house, as I have no desire to do so personally right now, but Chesapeake is the only corporation I know of which hires straight out of LS. Not to say there aren't more which will hire straight out, but there aren't many more. Chesapeake was the only corporation to recruit on campus this year.

Employment rate at graduation for the c/o 2010, per our career services office, was "around 70%." I place zero faith in that number's accuracy, but that's what they're telling me. There are some great threads on this site about the lack of transparency and shady accounting of various career services offices across the country. Not saying OU is one of them, just that my pointed, specific questions about job prospects are almost always met with anecdotal stories about their most successful students and then the 9 month graduation statistic.

"There is no truth in recruiting." Do your research and know what you're getting into before you take out the loans. OU Law can be a great place, especially if you're from Oklahoma and want to practice here after you graduate. But like ANY law school, it can also be a bad decision if you don't know what you're getting into.

OklahomasOK

Postby OklahomasOK » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:53 pm

Accepted via phone-call from admissions tonight. Nice to see my alma matter make a personal gesture. Mentioned that scholarship committee will meet soon, this will be crucial for me. Already paid $80,000+ for undergrad, they better pick it up if they want me to stay.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:34 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:Accepted via phone-call from admissions tonight. Nice to see my alma matter make a personal gesture. Mentioned that scholarship committee will meet soon, this will be crucial for me. Already paid $80,000+ for undergrad, they better pick it up if they want me to stay.

Congrats. If this cycle is anything like mine couple years ago, you should be in for some money.

skirschner1

Postby skirschner1 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:21 am

Also in via phone call today

OklahomasOK

Postby OklahomasOK » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:33 am

patrickd139 wrote:
OklahomasOK wrote:Accepted via phone-call from admissions tonight. Nice to see my alma matter make a personal gesture. Mentioned that scholarship committee will meet soon, this will be crucial for me. Already paid $80,000+ for undergrad, they better pick it up if they want me to stay.

Congrats. If this cycle is anything like mine couple years ago, you should be in for some money.

Music to my ears, I would love to have instate tuition.

Graduating debt free would be a distinct possibility, and would be an incredible feat.

sooner28

Postby sooner28 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:43 am

I received my scholarship info via snail mail yesterday. It took about three weeks to get the offer.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”