UConn Applicants 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nj05nets
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:17 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby nj05nets » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:49 pm

Bear46 wrote:
mebo28 wrote:
lic06003 wrote:Does anybody know if they accept deposits on asw? I sent in my check on monday but they still haven't received it yet. should i just come to asw with my checkbook in hand?


Not sure. I'm guessing if the financial aid staff is working that day they will. I am wondering myself, because I will be making my final decision on whether to go to UConn or not on this Saturday.


Deposit checks are due to the Admissions Office.


When I RSVP'd for the event I asked if I could submit my seat deposit in person that day, and I was told "yes that is fine!".

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby jaydizzle » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:28 am

I wonder if they will be touching the waitlist before June. I hope to join you guys, but I just don't know if it will happen. :(

lic06003
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby lic06003 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:01 am

jaydizzle wrote:I wonder if they will be touching the waitlist before June. I hope to join you guys, but I just don't know if it will happen. :(


keep your hope up! There's always going to be people who choose not to attend. Were you at ASD yesterday?

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby jaydizzle » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:39 am

lic06003 wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:I wonder if they will be touching the waitlist before June. I hope to join you guys, but I just don't know if it will happen. :(


keep your hope up! There's always going to be people who choose not to attend. Were you at ASD yesterday?


Couldn't go, not an accepted student. :(

lic06003
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby lic06003 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:05 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
lic06003 wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:I wonder if they will be touching the waitlist before June. I hope to join you guys, but I just don't know if it will happen. :(


keep your hope up! There's always going to be people who choose not to attend. Were you at ASD yesterday?


Couldn't go, not an accepted student. :(


really? I think I saw waitlisted students there as well.

User avatar
mebo28
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby mebo28 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:18 pm

lic06003 wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
lic06003 wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:I wonder if they will be touching the waitlist before June. I hope to join you guys, but I just don't know if it will happen. :(


keep your hope up! There's always going to be people who choose not to attend. Were you at ASD yesterday?


Couldn't go, not an accepted student. :(


really? I think I saw waitlisted students there as well.


Yes, there was waitlisted students there. UConn's ASW was called just an Open House not Accepted Students Day - therefore I think anyone could have came.

Jay, I think you still have a good shot after looking at your numbers. UConn is a safety school for a lot of people applying to higher ranked schools. I know that there were a few people there waitlisted at higher ranked schools and if they got off waitlist they would not be attending UConn. Be hopeful!

Also, worst case scenario you can always transfer in - which should be relatively easy for you knowing your background and because you are in-state. Most state law schools like to take a majority of in-state transfers.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby jaydizzle » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:13 pm

This is good to hear. I guess I will have to wait it out and stop bothering the office every other week lol.

lic06003
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby lic06003 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:07 pm

jaydizzle wrote:This is good to hear. I guess I will have to wait it out and stop bothering the office every other week lol.


i don't think you can top me... when I told them my first name, they automatically knew my last name etc etc. I guess I called them a bit too much last month :oops:

rehtulx
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby rehtulx » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:42 pm

Anyone else still in review?

musicalmissionary
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby musicalmissionary » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:54 pm

rehtulx wrote:Anyone else still in review?


I'm not even there yet, still stuck at "Complete Application" since 3/28. But I applied on the very last day so I'll probably be waiting a while.

User avatar
mebo28
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby mebo28 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:43 pm

musicalmissionary wrote:
rehtulx wrote:Anyone else still in review?


I'm not even there yet, still stuck at "Complete Application" since 3/28. But I applied on the very last day so I'll probably be waiting a while.


What took you so long?

musicalmissionary
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby musicalmissionary » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:05 pm

mebo28 wrote:
musicalmissionary wrote:
rehtulx wrote:Anyone else still in review?


I'm not even there yet, still stuck at "Complete Application" since 3/28. But I applied on the very last day so I'll probably be waiting a while.


What took you so long?


I only applied to schools in New York and Boston hoping my wife would land her residency in one of those cities. But luck would have it she got her residency right in the middle, in Springfield, MA. And we learned that on March 15th. So I quickly searched for the best nearby law school and applied to UConn that same day which happened to be the deadline. Now it's my top choice because I don't want to live apart from my wife. UConn's price, ranking and IP curriculum are nice bonuses.

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby snapdragon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:16 pm

musicalmissionary wrote:
mebo28 wrote:
musicalmissionary wrote:
rehtulx wrote:Anyone else still in review?


I'm not even there yet, still stuck at "Complete Application" since 3/28. But I applied on the very last day so I'll probably be waiting a while.


What took you so long?


I only applied to schools in New York and Boston hoping my wife would land her residency in one of those cities. But luck would have it she got her residency right in the middle, in Springfield, MA. And we learned that on March 15th. So I quickly searched for the best nearby law school and applied to UConn that same day which happened to be the deadline. Now it's my top choice because I don't want to live apart from my wife. UConn's price, ranking and IP curriculum are nice bonuses.


And if you're a musical missionary, the UHart music school happens around the same area. Yaaaaay UConn!

rehtulx
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby rehtulx » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:24 pm

Being a red neck from Mississippi should make me a URM at UConn.

musicalmissionary
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby musicalmissionary » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:37 pm

snapdragon wrote:And if you're a musical missionary, the UHart music school happens around the same area. Yaaaaay UConn!


Thanks for the tip. That is definitely an added bonus!

Now if they'll just go ahead and accept me so I can close this chapter and move on to the next one...

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby snapdragon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:02 pm

rehtulx wrote:Being a red neck from Mississippi should make me a URM at UConn.


I know a barbecue place in Hartford that's really good! (So say Southern people).

User avatar
mebo28
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby mebo28 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:07 pm

Musical,

Did you apply at WNEC as a safety?

musicalmissionary
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby musicalmissionary » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:36 pm

mebo28 wrote:Musical,

Did you apply at WNEC as a safety?


Yes, but I would likely go to NYLS or Brooklyn (still waiting) over WNEC if UConn disses me. I have my sights clearly set on specializing in corporate and IP law to become a consultant for entrepreneurs and startups. So I really want to immerse myself in New York's hot startup scene. Only UConn's combination of rank, cost, curriculum would make me choose not to live in New York. I mean, I love my wife and all, but we can see each other on weekends (we'd only be 150 miles apart). BUT, I'd rather just get into UConn so we can live together AND I can get a kickass legal education.

User avatar
mebo28
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby mebo28 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:20 pm

musicalmissionary wrote:
mebo28 wrote:Musical,

Did you apply at WNEC as a safety?


Yes, but I would likely go to NYLS or Brooklyn (still waiting) over WNEC if UConn disses me. I have my sights clearly set on specializing in corporate and IP law to become a consultant for entrepreneurs and startups. So I really want to immerse myself in New York's hot startup scene. Only UConn's combination of rank, cost, curriculum would make me choose not to live in New York. I mean, I love my wife and all, but we can see each other on weekends (we'd only be 150 miles apart). BUT, I'd rather just get into UConn so we can live together AND I can get a kickass legal education.


What schools in Boston did you get into? Might be better to stay there than traveling to NYLS or Brooklyn if not UConn.

musicalmissionary
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby musicalmissionary » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:20 pm

mebo28 wrote:
musicalmissionary wrote:
mebo28 wrote:Musical,

Did you apply at WNEC as a safety?


Yes, but I would likely go to NYLS or Brooklyn (still waiting) over WNEC if UConn disses me. I have my sights clearly set on specializing in corporate and IP law to become a consultant for entrepreneurs and startups. So I really want to immerse myself in New York's hot startup scene. Only UConn's combination of rank, cost, curriculum would make me choose not to live in New York. I mean, I love my wife and all, but we can see each other on weekends (we'd only be 150 miles apart). BUT, I'd rather just get into UConn so we can live together AND I can get a kickass legal education.


What schools in Boston did you get into? Might be better to stay there than traveling to NYLS or Brooklyn if not UConn.


Suffolk. I thought about it pretty hard. But if I don't get into UConn, and I have to live apart from my wife, I'd rather do it in New York than Boston. The costs are practically identical with the scholarship I got from NYLS and the fact that I have a roommate already lined up in NY (versus living alone in Boston). If I get into Brooklyn I'll have to rethink the cost considerations. BUT again, I'm just going to pray I get into UConn so none of that matters. I don't know if/how I can handle the sleepless nights of worrying whether my wife is safe coming and going to the hospital on night shifts. So UCONN, please let me in!

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby iMisto » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:54 pm

Applied 2/23, complete 3/7, review 4/7... And still waiting. :/

I really had no clue that Feb would be considered applying "late". UConn is my top choice.

In at Quinnipiac, NE Law|Boston, Roger Williams, and NYLS - all with decent scholarships. Deposits are due Friday, and I think I'll withdraw and wait it out for UConn. Fingers crossed!

User avatar
mebo28
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby mebo28 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:44 am

iMisto wrote:Applied 2/23, complete 3/7, review 4/7... And still waiting. :/

I really had no clue that Feb would be considered applying "late". UConn is my top choice.

In at Quinnipiac, NE Law|Boston, Roger Williams, and NYLS - all with decent scholarships. Deposits are due Friday, and I think I'll withdraw and wait it out for UConn. Fingers crossed!


I would throw a deposit down at your second choice if I were you, that is if you want to go to law school next year. Just in case. In the long run the $200-$800 you have to put down for a deposit is miniscule. It is just safer that way.

headease
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby headease » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:58 pm

"The whole state of Connecticut has been very supportive throughout my career here, and Connecticut will always be my home. I'll never forget this place. This place raised me."
-Kemba Walker

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby iMisto » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:45 am

I'll pass on the deposits.

When I originally applied, I thought I'd be content with any/all of the schools I chose. After sending them out, however, I honestly do not believe I'd be happy with any of my choices, other than UConn. The debt load just wouldn't be worth it, IMO, unless I snagged a spot at a school I felt provided me with decent career prospects.

I'm graduating from ASU this May with honors (3.68, hopefully a 3.7 after this semester), a BIS in Women/Gender Studies and Political Science, as well as a BFA in Painting. My LSAT was an abysmally low 157, but I was pulling 6 classes (18credits), 40hr work weeks, and an internship with a non-profit teaching civics at the women's prison when I took the test. My only prep was two weekends during July - test in October.

I figure, I'll move to CT, work part time, take a lengthy course that leads up to the test, and improve my chances?? As far as the rest of my application goes, I feel I've accumulated decent softs, great letters of recommendation, and a nice, though editable statement. Furthermore, I think my background constitutes a relatively diverse applicant - father wrongfully shot and killed by state police, leaving my mom a single parent of three, grew up in poverty, depended on social programs (now being cut!), first college graduate in the family, gay, etc.

My friends and family insist I take the scholarships at one of the schools I've already been accepted to, but they're not the ones getting buried in debt. I'm looking for some sound advice here - or, perhaps, just reassurance that the above plan is the smart move.

Thanks for the help! :)

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby snapdragon » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:47 pm

iMisto wrote:I'll pass on the deposits.

When I originally applied, I thought I'd be content with any/all of the schools I chose. After sending them out, however, I honestly do not believe I'd be happy with any of my choices, other than UConn. The debt load just wouldn't be worth it, IMO, unless I snagged a spot at a school I felt provided me with decent career prospects.

I'm graduating from ASU this May with honors (3.68, hopefully a 3.7 after this semester), a BIS in Women/Gender Studies and Political Science, as well as a BFA in Painting. My LSAT was an abysmally low 157, but I was pulling 6 classes (18credits), 40hr work weeks, and an internship with a non-profit teaching civics at the women's prison when I took the test. My only prep was two weekends during July - test in October.

I figure, I'll move to CT, work part time, take a lengthy course that leads up to the test, and improve my chances?? As far as the rest of my application goes, I feel I've accumulated decent softs, great letters of recommendation, and a nice, though editable statement. Furthermore, I think my background constitutes a relatively diverse applicant - father wrongfully shot and killed by state police, leaving my mom a single parent of three, grew up in poverty, depended on social programs (now being cut!), first college graduate in the family, gay, etc.

My friends and family insist I take the scholarships at one of the schools I've already been accepted to, but they're not the ones getting buried in debt. I'm looking for some sound advice here - or, perhaps, just reassurance that the above plan is the smart move.

Thanks for the help! :)


Honestly if it doesn't work out next year, I would DEFINITELY apply next year. Applying early really does make a difference. And I think you have a good shot at improving your LSAT - if you got a 157 basically cold, you can probably bump that up with study. Honestly, a 3.68 is a pretty strong GPA, you shouldn't waste that :) People with 3.1s like me will be very envious. Get into the 160-165 range and UConn should be a lock, get into the 163-167 range and you're looking at BC/BU as realistic possibilities as well. (and plenty of other great schools outside of New England).

Check out the LSAT forum here, if you haven't already. They have a great rep for test prep help!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”