UConn Applicants 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Apompea

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby Apompea » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:30 pm

Apompea wrote:
smartblonde87 wrote:I got in a few weeks ago by email - 156/3.91 - non-URM. There is hope for low LSAT-ers :)

What did you do? a letter directly to UConn? when did you apply? I'm just honestly confused as to why I got wait listed.. my LSAT is their 2010 median and my GPA is well above their 75th percentile and I feel my personal statement was really well written.

nevermind. you had 3 majors. :shock:

Apompea

Postby Apompea » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:34 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
Apompea wrote:
smartblonde87 wrote:I got in a few weeks ago by email - 156/3.91 - non-URM. There is hope for low LSAT-ers :)

What did you do? a letter directly to UConn? when did you apply? I'm just honestly confused as to why I got wait listed.. my LSAT is their 2010 median and my GPA is well above their 75th percentile and I feel my personal statement was really well written.

Is your LSAT a 159? The median is not 159. This is below median. I believe there median was a 161 and a year before that it was a 162.

hm. thought it was a 160.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:36 pm

Apompea wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
Apompea wrote:

Is your LSAT a 159? The median is not 159. This is below median. I believe there median was a 161 and a year before that it was a 162.

hm. thought it was a 160.

I was also waitlisted if it makes you feel any better. I'm in state and my LSAT is low for them. I hope enough people drop off so I can get in. Unfortunately, it looks like their yield is higher than most schools. :(

Apompea

Postby Apompea » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:41 pm

hm. thought it was a 160.[/quote]

I was also waitlisted if it makes you feel any better. I'm in state and my LSAT is low for them. I hope enough people drop off so I can get in. Unfortunately, it looks like their yield is higher than most schools. :([/quote]

Im in state as well. where did you do undergrad? and what do you mean by yield? I truly think they got a lot of good numbered applicants who will likely go to a better school, I HOPE. I'm not giving up, I really want to move back to CT, I did my undergrad at west virginia university. I hope that isn't hurting my chances.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:50 pm

Apompea wrote:hm. thought it was a 160.

I was also waitlisted if it makes you feel any better. I'm in state and my LSAT is low for them. I hope enough people drop off so I can get in. Unfortunately, it looks like their yield is higher than most schools. :([/quote]

Im in state as well. where did you do undergrad? and what do you mean by yield? I truly think they got a lot of good numbered applicants who will likely go to a better school, I HOPE. I'm not giving up, I really want to move back to CT, I did my undergrad at west virginia university. I hope that isn't hurting my chances.[/quote]

I did my undergrad a private top 40 with a pretty highly ranked business program. By yield I mean the number of people that actually choose to matriculate. A lot of higher ranked schools have a much lower yield than UConn which worries me.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:01 pm

mebo28 wrote:Well I asked this because as many know, the part-time program requires lower numbers overall to get into. No offense, but I just do not need to take guff from some high horsed person about not being up to his or her level. I have dealt enough with that in my life.

The social aspect comes from if I am able to transfer into the day division, I feel that I may not know anyone to study with while everyone already has their study click or whatever.

Didn't mean to offend you or anything. I was trying to convey the (good?) news that part-timers aren't considered any worse or better than full-timers. Good luck.

mebo28

Postby mebo28 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:38 pm

Heartford wrote:
mebo28 wrote:Well I asked this because as many know, the part-time program requires lower numbers overall to get into. No offense, but I just do not need to take guff from some high horsed person about not being up to his or her level. I have dealt enough with that in my life.

The social aspect comes from if I am able to transfer into the day division, I feel that I may not know anyone to study with while everyone already has their study click or whatever.

Didn't mean to offend you or anything. I was trying to convey the (good?) news that part-timers aren't considered any worse or better than full-timers. Good luck.

Yes, I know, I didn't mean to sound snappy at you. I was just curious how the student body there treated everyone. My feeling was, if I am going to be treated like I am the bottom of the pile I would not be interested.

Out of curiosity, has anyone received a financial aid packet? Does anyone know if UConn gives out need base grants and how much?

dr allen pearl

Postby dr allen pearl » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:00 am

... but wouldn't it be safe to assume that one should be less optimistic about employment opportunities as a part-time student? (vs a full-time Uconn student)

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:24 am

dr allen pearl wrote:... but wouldn't it be safe to assume that one should be less optimistic about employment opportunities as a part-time student? (vs a full-time Uconn student)

It is not my understanding that this is a safe assumption. Why would you guess that PT students have worse employment prospects?

Michael Scarn

Postby Michael Scarn » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:12 am

Heartford wrote:
ran12 wrote:
Also the PT program can be done during the day.

Really? I'm not so sure this is true.

It's possible, but rare that anyone stays in the PT day program beyond 1L. I think there's only one person in the PT day program who is not a 1L and plans on completing the day program as a PT student.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:14 am

dr allen pearl wrote:... but wouldn't it be safe to assume that one should be less optimistic about employment opportunities as a part-time student? (vs a full-time Uconn student)

There's a lot of anecdotal info in these forums, and none of it indicates that this is the case. Like a previous poster said, some PT people are not at PT because they couldn't get into FT. Personally I just don't want to give up a great salary while I go to school, so I'm likely going PT even with numbers far above UConn's 75ths.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:24 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:

There's a lot of anecdotal info in these forums, and none of it indicates that this is the case. Like a previous poster said, some PT people are not at PT because they couldn't get into FT. Personally I just don't want to give up a great salary while I go to school, so I'm likely going PT even with numbers far above UConn's 75ths.

Yea going PT can be a smart financial move. In terms of yearly cost it'll cost less and overall for 4 yrs, a bit more than 3yrs but the income from a job kind of diffuses the difference. If anything, going PT will look the same or better b/c most likely you're working and employers like people who are able to juggle so much.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:15 pm

ran12 wrote: If anything, going PT will look the same or better b/c most likely you're working and employers like people who are able to juggle so much.

This. Getting legal jobs starts the same way as getting other jobs- you must submit a resume. For some who jumped from undergrad to a full-time law school program, Cold Stone Creamery might be their most extensive work experience. They could be competing for interviews with part-time students who have the same GPAs and extensive (and ongoing) office experience.

In this situation, no employer in his right mind would pass on the PT student because his LSAT score might have been a point or two lower.

dr allen pearl

Postby dr allen pearl » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:15 pm

I never thought the PT'ers were at a disadvantage because they were not accepted to the full-time program and thus, somehow looked down upon... I just thought it was a timing issue, putting full-timers at an advantage because firm hiring schedules are catered to them.

I certainly could be wrong. In fact, I hope I am because PT would be considerably cheaper.

Anyone receive any foundation scholarships?

BrittaBot

Postby BrittaBot » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:26 pm

Regarding ASD: I've decided to attend UCONN and have sent both my deposits in already, but it would be very difficult for me to attend ASD. Last semester at out-of-state, out-of-region undergrad. Flying 700+ miles for one day with a plane ticket that would probably cost $300+ is not really feasible.

Should I email admissions and let them know I can't really go? I received a significant scholarship, so I sort of feel bad. I would really like to go, obviously, but it would just be too expensive. Would it be really important for me to try and attend, despite the cost? Not really sure what I should do/how I should go about this. I'd appreciate the advice.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:47 pm

BrittaBot wrote:Regarding ASD: I've decided to attend UCONN and have sent both my deposits in already, but it would be very difficult for me to attend ASD. Last semester at out-of-state, out-of-region undergrad. Flying 700+ miles for one day with a plane ticket that would probably cost $300+ is not really feasible.

Should I email admissions and let them know I can't really go? I received a significant scholarship, so I sort of feel bad. I would really like to go, obviously, but it would just be too expensive. Would it be really important for me to try and attend, despite the cost? Not really sure what I should do/how I should go about this. I'd appreciate the advice.

If you already sent in both deposits and committed there's no point in going unless you really want to. ASD is more for the school to sell themselves to people than for you to show interest.

lic06003

Postby lic06003 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:48 pm

anyone get accepted this friday?

lalala21

Postby lalala21 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:36 pm

I am still listed as 'complete' 1/31.... I decided to apply like three months after I applied everywhere else and now am really regretting it. blah. o well.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:12 am

UConn Law 2014/15 Facebook Group (official)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 7388322918

snakebones

Postby snakebones » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:08 pm

just went into review after being complete since 1/31...hoping for good news! does anybody know if they make decisions quickly?

please...

Postby please... » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:21 pm

snakebones wrote:just went into review after being complete since 1/31...hoping for good news! does anybody know if they make decisions quickly?

+1
I just went IR as well with a 1/24 complete date.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:14 pm

Hey guys- I just want to extend an invitation to contact me with any questions you might have about UConn. I'm a 1L so I haven't done OCI yet and also have very little knowledge about employment prospects, but I would be happy to answer any other questions pertaining to classes, Hartford, life as a law student, etc. You can PM me at any time. Best of luck!

mreocc

Postby mreocc » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:31 pm

So who's going to the Admitted Students Open House on 4/9?

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:59 pm

mreocc wrote:So who's going to the Admitted Students Open House on 4/9?

I'll be there for at least the mock and the tours... Idk if I want to be there for the whole day...

mebo28

Postby mebo28 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:21 pm

Hi,

So I was wondering one last thing. Do people think UConn is worth sticker price? Because that is what I am basically looking at.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”