UConn Applicants 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Stitch85
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby Stitch85 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:25 pm

Why why why! :twisted:

admitmoi
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:33 am

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby admitmoi » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:07 pm

I talked to someone in admissions (whoever answered the phone) and was told that classes start on the 18th and that they may make decsions before that, but if not, will probably start making them that week and every week after that. Fisrt one completed are the first ones reviewed. So not too much longer.

User avatar
mreocc
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby mreocc » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:27 pm

admitmoi wrote:I talked to someone in admissions (whoever answered the phone) and was told that classes start on the 18th and that they may make decsions before that, but if not, will probably start making them that week and every week after that. Fisrt one completed are the first ones reviewed. So not too much longer.


I would love a decision before the 18th, let's hope it happens!!

User avatar
mreocc
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby mreocc » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:10 pm

Status checker update today:

"The Admissions Committee has been assigned completed files. Although individual Committee members may begin reading applications, our first official Committee meeting will be in January. Once the Committee has convened, we will begin notifying applicants of their decision. Please note that all decisions will be sent via email.

We thank you for your patience and appreciate your interest in the University of Connecticut School of Law."
:D

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby ran12 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:11 pm

mreocc wrote:Status checker update today:

"The Admissions Committee has been assigned completed files. Although individual Committee members may begin reading applications, our first official Committee meeting will be in January. Once the Committee has convened, we will begin notifying applicants of their decision. Please note that all decisions will be sent via email.

We thank you for your patience and appreciate your interest in the University of Connecticut School of Law."
:D


I've had that since being UR 10/7 so hopefully a decision soon.
Last edited by ran12 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
shoteka
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:13 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby shoteka » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:22 pm

In at UCONN via email today! No info about scholarships but perhaps in the acceptance packet... knock on wood.

User avatar
mreocc
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby mreocc » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:45 pm

shoteka wrote:In at UCONN via email today! No info about scholarships but perhaps in the acceptance packet... knock on wood.

Congrats! Would you mind sharing your numbers and when you applied?

User avatar
rockyIV
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:12 am

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby rockyIV » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:28 pm

shoteka wrote:In at UCONN via email today! No info about scholarships but perhaps in the acceptance packet... knock on wood.


congrats, could you also let us know when you went complete or under review, I am not even sure if you go under review on uconn's status; i have been complete since mid November.

User avatar
BrittaBot
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:39 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby BrittaBot » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:45 pm

...
Last edited by BrittaBot on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ItsMyTimeBoston
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:46 pm

ran12 wrote:
mreocc wrote:Status checker update today:

"The Admissions Committee has been assigned completed files. Although individual Committee members may begin reading applications, our first official Committee meeting will be in January. Once the Committee has convened, we will begin notifying applicants of their decision. Please note that all decisions will be sent via email.

We thank you for your patience and appreciate your interest in the University of Connecticut School of Law."
:D


I've had that since being UR 10/7 so hopefully a decision soon.


My status check also changed to that yesterday or today. It is similar, but different from the previous message which has something in it that said "we will begin reviewing application in January... applications will be reviewed in the order the become complete".

Things are getting exciting. I wasn't expecting to hear anything until the last week of January at the earliest.

admitmoi
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:33 am

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby admitmoi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:53 pm

Friend from school admitted today by email but app was complete before mine. Numbers were something like 164, 3.5, not a CT resident, good LOR. Going to enroll so I hope there will still be space for me. :lol:

ItsMyTimeBoston
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:02 am

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
ran12 wrote:
mreocc wrote:Status checker update today:

"The Admissions Committee has been assigned completed files. Although individual Committee members may begin reading applications, our first official Committee meeting will be in January. Once the Committee has convened, we will begin notifying applicants of their decision. Please note that all decisions will be sent via email.

We thank you for your patience and appreciate your interest in the University of Connecticut School of Law."
:D


I've had that since being UR 10/7 so hopefully a decision soon.


My status check also changed to that yesterday or today. It is similar, but different from the previous message which has something in it that said "we will begin reviewing application in January... applications will be reviewed in the order the become complete".

Things are getting exciting. I wasn't expecting to hear anything until the last week of January at the earliest.


This morning my status checker changed back to:

"Your application to the University of Connecticut School of Law is complete. The Admissions Committee will begin reviewing completed files in January. We review files in the order that they become complete. An email letter will be sent to you as soon as a decision is made on your application."

User avatar
RebelRebel
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:56 am

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby RebelRebel » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:02 pm

Any chance of admission with 3.08/163 (highest LSAT)? LSP lists me as a consider.

Also, how easy is it to get resident tuition after the first year?

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby ran12 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:05 pm

RebelRebel wrote:Any chance of admission with 3.08/163 (highest LSAT)? LSP lists me as a consider.

Also, how easy is it to get resident tuition after the first year?


Since you're apparently OOS, I would say you have a slight chance assuming you have solid softs and PS. The main problem is that your LSAT is good enough but your GPA is low.

ItsMyTimeBoston
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:08 pm

ran12 wrote:
RebelRebel wrote:Any chance of admission with 3.08/163 (highest LSAT)? LSP lists me as a consider.

Also, how easy is it to get resident tuition after the first year?


Since you're apparently OOS, I would say you have a slight chance assuming you have solid softs and PS. The main problem is that your LSAT is good enough but your GPA is low.


You have a solid chance. Apply for both FT and PT. It's easy to transfer into the FT program after your first year and it is very easy to get in-state tuition after one year. Open a bank account, rent an apartment and register your car if you have one--that's it.

User avatar
RebelRebel
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:56 am

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby RebelRebel » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:10 pm

RE GPA, I have an upward trend, I did poorly on my first year but never got anything less than a B afterward. I also have volunteering experience in social and housing rights advocacy and would even consider the part time program... I guess it depends on how articulate and convincing I can be in my PS.

ItsMyTimeBoston
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:21 pm

RebelRebel wrote:RE GPA, I have an upward trend, I did poorly on my first year but never got anything less than a B afterward. I also have volunteering experience in social and housing rights advocacy and would even consider the part time program... I guess it depends on how articulate and convincing I can be in my PS.


UCONN requires a "why law school" essay instead of a personal statement. Just make it clear that your life experiences and goals demonstrate that law school is the next logical step in your career path. Good luck!
Last edited by ItsMyTimeBoston on Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RebelRebel
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:56 am

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby RebelRebel » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:24 pm

Thanks for the responses on this and the NULS thread, are you attending a Boston area school?

Cheers!

ItsMyTimeBoston
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:32 pm

RebelRebel wrote:Thanks for the responses on this and the NULS thread, are you attending a Boston area school?

Cheers!


I'm also in the application process. I live in Boston and have been deeply investigating the schools in the area for the last year in preparation for this cycle. I'm a nontraditional applicant and really messed up when I was 18-19. I was given a second chance at a great program in the area and have tried to make the most of it while working in the legal field. I would love to go to BC, but that's out of the question, and have applied to Suffolk, UConn and Northeastern--I also work with lawyers who have attended all the schools in the area and they have given me their thoughts. Suffolk offered me $60,000, I'm still waiting to hear from UConn and Northeastern surprisingly rejected me. I would like to stay in the area, so considering the money Suffolk offered me it's going to be hard to turn down. It's my understanding that UConn is amazing if you wouldn't mind having to stay in Connecticut, but getting back to Boston or going to NY can be tough if you aren't in the top 10% at UConn even though it's an incredible school. The quality of education and the cost are what makes UConn so impressive along with its placement in Connecticut.

(I probably should have PM'd you with this, but feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions).

User avatar
voltage88
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby voltage88 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:38 pm

UConn is such an attention whore, wanting a different kinda essay and all..ruining my life. Did you guys write a completely new essay or tweak your personal statements a bit?

User avatar
mreocc
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby mreocc » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:17 am

voltage88 wrote:UConn is such an attention whore, wanting a different kinda essay and all..ruining my life. Did you guys write a completely new essay or tweak your personal statements a bit?


I tweaked it a little to make it obvious that I included a few paragraphs about "why law". However, I kept the narrative introduction that told a story (sort of like a typical PS). I feel confident about it but cant help but to be a little paranoid...

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby ran12 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:23 am

voltage88 wrote:UConn is such an attention whore, wanting a different kinda essay and all..ruining my life. Did you guys write a completely new essay or tweak your personal statements a bit?


I had to write a new PS on why law b/c my PS for most schools was on leadership. Why law is a crapshoot though b/c people can't say they wanna make money and use the degree to advance their careers/lives. The "right" reason would be for helping others/seeking justice; that kind of stuff. I'm not saying all people go to law school for the money and prestige but it's a big reason. I guess schools that ask why law are trying to see how well you can write about a topic that's not necessarily going to be something you really believe in strongly. You have to really think outside the box to find legit reasons about why law interests you outside of the money/glory reason.

User avatar
voltage88
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby voltage88 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:52 am

My personal statement concludes with my reasons for wanting to go into law, with the body of the essay providing the appropriate context. But the focus of the essay isn't "Why Law?" I wonder if this would suffice or if they want an essay that focuses on "why law?" from start to finish??

ItsMyTimeBoston
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:29 am

voltage88 wrote:My personal statement concludes with my reasons for wanting to go into law, with the body of the essay providing the appropriate context. But the focus of the essay isn't "Why Law?" I wonder if this would suffice or if they want an essay that focuses on "why law?" from start to finish??



14. REQUIRED: Please discuss why you wish to study law. Please note that the Admissions Committee is interested in your answer to this specific question and a general personal statement will not suffice.

nj05nets
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:17 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby nj05nets » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:02 am

In via email on the 6th. Only applied to the evening division. Went complete mid October, in-state.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 8 guests