UConn Applicants 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
modmx
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby modmx » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:33 am

aidez-moi wrote:By the way, is Hartford as bad a city as I keep hearing?


nope. You'll like the neighborhood around UConn Law and you're closer to West Hartford (great town) than Hartford

West Hartford center, bishops corner, and West farms mall are all a few minutes in the car

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby Heartford » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:33 am

aidez-moi wrote:By the way, is Hartford as bad a city as I keep hearing?


The roughest part of Hartford is the north side (colored red, mauve, and light pink in my avatar). That's where the majority of the violent crime takes place, especially homicides and violent sexual offenses, and Hartford's crime statistics are greatly raised by the activity in only a few neighborhoods. You'll probably never have any reason to go there, and probably won't even end up there by accident because I-84 separates it from the rest of the city. There are plenty of other "sketchy" areas around, but they're not really any more dangerous than any other city. Property crime is really the only thing to worry about- your bike might get stolen, or car window broken- but these things happen everywhere in the world.

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby snapdragon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:14 pm

Hartford is not that bad. I lived in the crappy part for 4 years during undergrad. UConn Law is closer to West Hartford, which is actually really nice, and all the surrounding towns are as well. Also, there's some great (or there were a few years ago) restaurants in Hartford proper. Like Heartford said, there's no reason that you'd be in the crappier areas, and the city itself is rather small. If I go to UConn, I plan on living in West Hartford (unless bf and I decide to settle in between school and work).

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby Heartford » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:27 pm

snapdragon wrote:Hartford is not that bad. I lived in the crappy part for 4 years during undergrad. UConn Law is closer to West Hartford, which is actually really nice, and all the surrounding towns are as well. Also, there's some great (or there were a few years ago) restaurants in Hartford proper. Like Heartford said, there's no reason that you'd be in the crappier areas, and the city itself is rather small. If I go to UConn, I plan on living in West Hartford (unless bf and I decide to settle in between school and work).


I should have mentioned that the area surrounding Trinity (a neighborhood called Barry Square) is also not wonderful, especially lately, although it feels much safer there than in the North. It seems like the last several stabbings have all happened in Barry and Behind the Rocks, although the Trinity campus itself is fantastic. Again, attending UConn Law you would have no reason to go to any of these neighborhoods, or really any other questionable Hartford areas.

User avatar
rockyIV
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:12 am

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby rockyIV » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:36 pm

waitlisted and above lsat 75th and median GPA. Withdrawing.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby jaydizzle » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:01 pm

rockyIV wrote:waitlisted and above lsat 75th and median GPA. Withdrawing.



Sorry to hear that. This is odd...

User avatar
mreocc
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby mreocc » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:44 pm

rockyIV wrote:waitlisted and above lsat 75th and median GPA. Withdrawing.


YP?? maybe they want to see if you really wanted to go there or were using it as a safety

solarae
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby solarae » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:40 pm

complete early jan, hoping to hear soon

mcgillgrad10
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:30 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby mcgillgrad10 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:12 am

rockyIV wrote:waitlisted and above lsat 75th and median GPA. Withdrawing.


That makes me nervous. I'm the same, maybe that's why it's taking so long to hear back.

User avatar
voltage88
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby voltage88 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:43 pm

So I've done some research about gaining in-state residency after one year. It seems like you have to provide a copy of car registration, insurance, etc etc. What if the car you're bringing isn't yours? Does anyone have any experience with how hard/easy it is to get in-state tuition after a year at UConn???

solarae
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby solarae » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:20 pm

I bet you only have to provide those things if you own a car. otherwise, i think you'd just need to show lease / utility proof being in your name, and perhaps that you changed your bank to a branch in the area. stuff like that.
but that's just my general understanding of what to do for residency. I have no idea if Conn has other random restrictions.

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby Heartford » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:58 pm

voltage88 wrote:So I've done some research about gaining in-state residency after one year. It seems like you have to provide a copy of car registration, insurance, etc etc. What if the car you're bringing isn't yours? Does anyone have any experience with how hard/easy it is to get in-state tuition after a year at UConn???


They will literally walk you through the process. There will be meetings about it, and the administration will work with you to ensure that it works out. As long as you actually live in CT for 12 months, you're pretty much all set.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:55 pm

No news at all this week on LSN. I really want to hear soon.

WB333
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby WB333 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:57 pm

I'm hoping for good news today!

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby bostonlawchick » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:03 pm

WB333 wrote:I'm hoping for good news today!


Me too!

When did you go in review?

User avatar
ElvisAaron
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:06 pm

Man I hope we hear something soon! I'm pretty much waiting only on UConn and then I can get rid of all this uncertainty and move on with my life!
171/4.0 in-state, been UR since early November UGH

WB333
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby WB333 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:07 pm

My application has been under review since 1/28...I'm really hoping we hear something soon!

aidez-moi
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:33 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby aidez-moi » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:10 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:Man I hope we hear something soon! I'm pretty much waiting only on UConn and then I can get rid of all this uncertainty and move on with my life!
171/4.0 in-state, been UR since early November UGH


Why would you be waiting on UCONN with those numbers??

User avatar
ElvisAaron
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:01 pm

aidez-moi wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:Man I hope we hear something soon! I'm pretty much waiting only on UConn and then I can get rid of all this uncertainty and move on with my life!
171/4.0 in-state, been UR since early November UGH


Why would you be waiting on UCONN with those numbers??


In light of the economic outlook for grads, I refuse to give up my day job for anything other than H/Y, and they're a longshot.
UConn has the highest ranked PT program in my area.

aidez-moi
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:33 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby aidez-moi » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:09 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:
aidez-moi wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:Man I hope we hear something soon! I'm pretty much waiting only on UConn and then I can get rid of all this uncertainty and move on with my life!
171/4.0 in-state, been UR since early November UGH


Why would you be waiting on UCONN with those numbers??


In light of the economic outlook for grads, I refuse to give up my day job for anything other than H/Y, and they're a longshot.
UConn has the highest ranked PT program in my area.


That makes perfect sense. The reason it's taking so long is probably because you are so damn overqualified for the part-time program! Good luck

User avatar
bendtheslurry
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby bendtheslurry » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:46 pm

I was just waitlisted via email.

User avatar
ElvisAaron
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:52 pm

Just accepted 5 minutes ago via email.
No scholarship info.

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby snapdragon » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Congrats! Are any of you getting notification today from the 1/28 IR group? Or all earlier?

WB333
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby WB333 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Did your status checker change? Also, when did you guys go in review?

User avatar
red_alertz
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Postby red_alertz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:54 pm

hey bendtheslurry and elvisaaron, when did u guys apply?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cjsanders2, EricDelgado, Google [Bot], potterotter, rizzlebizness and 11 guests