UConn Applicants 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jaydizzle

Silver

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Post by jaydizzle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:07 pm

Damn it. I have been complete. I guess I have to go under review which might take another month. These schools need to stop this crapola and read through applications as they come in and not start January 4th... As an in-stater I want to know now! :)

nj05nets

New

Post by nj05nets » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:14 pm

I called today to ask about scholarships (was accepted on Jan 6th and haven't heard anything re money) and the lady said that scholarship awards would come by email within a few weeks of getting accepted. She did not give a definitive timeline, so i still have a small amount of hope.

MTKennedy

New

Post by MTKennedy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:26 pm

Dinged via email. Accepted to schools I liked more anyway, wasn't planning on going.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:36 pm

MTKennedy wrote:Dinged via email. Accepted to schools I liked more anyway, wasn't planning on going.

Best of luck to you. When did you go complete, are you in state, and what are your stats? I am trying to figure out my waiting period. My guess is February right now. :(

wokeemilo

New

Post by wokeemilo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:59 pm

i think i'm going to apply here, although it's pretty late and my numbers are only ok:

161/ 3.65/ non-urm...do i have a shot? i need to work on that why law essay now...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:00 pm

wokeemilo wrote:i think i'm going to apply here, although it's pretty late and my numbers are only ok:

161/ 3.65/ non-urm...do i have a shot? i need to work on that why law essay now...
Depends if you're IS or OOS. At this point it might be tough to get in OOS.

wokeemilo

New

Post by wokeemilo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:04 pm

ran12 wrote:
wokeemilo wrote:i think i'm going to apply here, although it's pretty late and my numbers are only ok:

yeah, i'm OOS. does that weigh heavily on their decision? i know hastings said residency isn't a factor.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:14 pm

wokeemilo wrote:
ran12 wrote:

yeah, i'm OOS. does that weigh heavily on their decision? i know hastings said residency isn't a factor.
UConn took like 17% last year and since it's late in the cycle, I think it'll be tougher to get in.

mreocc

New

Post by mreocc » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:22 pm

In via e-mail!! 165, 3.37, instate. Complete 11/18, UR 1/06. Hoping for scholarship money but will likely be attending regardless :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:24 pm

mreocc wrote:In via e-mail!! 165, 3.37, instate. Complete 11/18, UR 1/06. Hoping for scholarship money but will likely be attending regardless :D

Congrats. I was complete 11/22. I want to hear now! I want to hear soon. I haven't gone UR though, I don't get why.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:14 pm

ran12 wrote:
wokeemilo wrote:
ran12 wrote:

UConn took like 17% last year and since it's late in the cycle, I think it'll be tougher to get in.
FWIW, I was accepted today OOS with 163/3.3..

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:20 pm

I have been Complete/Under Review since 11/10. Still nothing.
In state, 171/4.0.
Really lame, UConn.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:21 pm

Has anyone that has been complete heard, or do you have to be under review? I know some schools never update it. I was complete 11/22, and I never went under review at all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:32 pm

jaydizzle wrote:Has anyone that has been complete heard, or do you have to be under review? I know some schools never update it. I was complete 11/22, and I never went under review at all.

I do not believe that UConn really updates status (in terms of "In Review" or whatever). I would believe that you are currently under review or a decision has been made on your application. I think a lot of us will know our fates in the next week or two.

nj05nets

New

Post by nj05nets » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:47 pm

is anyone going to submit something to uconn explaining how/why you qualify for a named scholarship?

rockyIV

New

Post by rockyIV » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:50 pm

the status checker will change to "In Review" after being "Complete."

I sat at complete for at least a month and a half, have been in review since last Wednesday.

novaUGuconnPG

New

Post by novaUGuconnPG » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:20 am

to whoever said they just applied with 161 and 3.53, I got in last year with almost the same numbers (160 and 3.63) in march after I applied around this time. oh ya and i was out of state as well. good luck to you and to everyone else who's waiting. this can be an incredibly stressful time but everyone finds the right place.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:13 pm

UConn student here. I wanted to weigh in on the residency issue, as it pertains to admissions. They say that UConn (the larger institution, including the LS) must compose each class they admit of some percentage of CT residents. This might be true- hell, it might even be posted on the UConn website- but I wouldn't let it worry me if I were an out of state applicant. The percentage of CT resident applicants likely far outweighs that of non-residents, to the extent that any "curve" favoring CT residents probably takes care of itself. The previous poster is a good example of a non-resident who didn't seem to have problems being admitted, even late-to-mid cycle.

And just anecdotally, while there are a TON of people here from Connecticut, there also seem to be a lot of people from other states who don't appear to be LSAT/GPA superstars or anything. Long story short, I wouldn't really worry about it- don't let anyone scare you just because you're not a CT resident. Apply as early as you can and see where you end up! Good luck, guys.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:27 pm

Anyone know how exactly residency works after 1L since the change in residency form is due in June and you need to have lived in CT for a year. I'm assuming most OOS won't have been living in CT since June the year they started.

nj05nets

New

Post by nj05nets » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:46 pm

http://www.law.uconn.edu/bursars-office ... -residency

I didn't see anything about a June deadline, but I didn't really read it closely (CT resident). I think you will be fine as long as long as you jump through the necessary hoops by the start of 2L. I've read (prob on TLS) that it is easy to become a resident, and that almost everyone pays in state tuition for 2L.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:36 pm

I'm thinking all these snow storms are putting UCONN behind on everything. Getting another tomorrow night again. ARGH. I had about 4 inches today I had to plow. Come on UCONN my numbers make you a reach, but please take me! I will go PT, PLEASE! :D

I haven't gone under review yet, and I am complete as of 11/22. I'm thinking I will need to wait until February.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:15 pm

jaydizzle wrote:I'm thinking all these snow storms are putting UCONN behind on everything. Getting another tomorrow night again. ARGH. I had about 4 inches today I had to plow. Come on UCONN my numbers make you a reach, but please take me! I will go PT, PLEASE! :D

I haven't gone under review yet, and I am complete as of 11/22. I'm thinking I will need to wait until February.
If it helps, the school has indeed closed or had delayed openings a couple of times in the past few weeks because of weather.

Also, our semester is just getting going right around now. I don't know whether the admissions office is around during the "interterm" but for most of January there were only 1Ls doing Moot Court on campus, and pretty much nothing else was going on.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:39 pm

Heartford wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:I'm thinking all these snow storms are putting UCONN behind on everything. Getting another tomorrow night again. ARGH. I had about 4 inches today I had to plow. Come on UCONN my numbers make you a reach, but please take me! I will go PT, PLEASE! :D

If it helps, the school has indeed closed or had delayed openings a couple of times in the past few weeks because of weather.

Also, our semester is just getting going right around now. I don't know whether the admissions office is around during the "interterm" but for most of January there were only 1Ls doing Moot Court on campus, and pretty much nothing else was going on.

Yeah, I live about 30 minutes away. More snow on Wednesday night. You might be having a day off on Thursday. :D

mreocc

New

Post by mreocc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:08 pm

Heartford wrote:

Speaking of the 1L moot court, would you mind providing details about how that works?

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:50 pm

mreocc wrote:
Heartford wrote:

Speaking of the 1L moot court, would you mind providing details about how that works?
Sure. Since I don't know what exactly you want to know, here's an overview:

Moot Court starts on January 2nd (or whatever the first Monday after the New Year happens to be) and meets pretty much every day for about two hours until the end of the month, when the regular semester starts up. It's taught by adjunct professors who are mostly practicing attorneys from the Hartford area. For the first couple of days, students practice arguing an appellate case in front of a panel of three "judges," who are either professors or fellow students or a mixture of both. By the end of the first week, students are given their primary "problem," which is a case for which they must write a brief and then make a 15 minute argument before a panel of guest "judges" (who are also usually visiting attorneys.)

So students are given the case file, which is usually just the decisions from the lower courts, and then they spend the rest of the month researching and writing their briefs at home and practicing arguments in class. Arguments are critiqued by the professors and fellow students, and briefs are edited by peers and professors.

I don't know what else you want to know, but feel free to ask specific questions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”