UConn Applicants 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Apompea

New

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Post by Apompea » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:49 pm

Waitlisted today. Applied 1/13. CT resident :( bummmmed

WB333

New

Post by WB333 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:04 pm

Dude, I'm sorry!

Can I ask though, when did you go in review?

Apompea

New

Post by Apompea » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:16 pm

WB333 wrote:Dude, I'm sorry!

Can I ask though, when did you go in review?

2/25 I think

lic06003

New

Post by lic06003 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:27 pm

wtf... did they just skip over my application or something... the wait is killing me.

lic06003

New

Post by lic06003 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:28 pm

someone got in uconn on lsn with a 152/3.65ish... whoa.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Apompea

New

Post by Apompea » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:50 pm

lic06003 wrote:someone got in uconn on lsn with a 152/3.65ish... whoa.
if you look at their profiles, the people who are admitted with lower numbers are usually under represented minorities.

lic06003

New

Post by lic06003 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:47 pm

Apompea wrote:
if you look at their profiles, the people who are admitted with lower numbers are usually under represented minorities.
Asians are minorities?

Apompea

New

Post by Apompea » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:45 am

lic06003 wrote:
Apompea wrote:
Asians are minorities?
I believe so, although I dont remember seeing any when I looked at profiles. I think anything other than white would help you out. This is just an observation I made by looking through TLS and LSN and clicking on admitted people with numbers similar to mine.

kitkat37

New

Post by kitkat37 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:38 am

when did you go under review??

2/11. I was really bummed to get waitlisted, because UConn is a great school and I would have been very happy there, in addition to it being an easier transition for my husband and children. I really love UNH, and they gave me a scholarship, so instead of having a hard decision, I now have an easy one. Concord, New Hampshire, here I come!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:48 am

kitkat37 wrote:

2/11. I was really bummed to get waitlisted, because UConn is a great school and I would have been very happy there, in addition to it being an easier transition for my husband and children. I really love UNH, and they gave me a scholarship, so instead of having a hard decision, I now have an easy one. Concord, New Hampshire, here I come!

Asians usually aren't considered minorities elsewhere, but by the looks of things they may at UConn. Who knows, maybe that guy had some really good softs or he just got plain lucky?

mebo28

New

Post by mebo28 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:55 am

Hi everyone,

I just got into the evening part-time program.

I was wondering what people's opinions are about the evening program, is it still a good program? I realize it will take me 4 years instead of 3. However, I am from New England (not CT), and would like to stay. Yet, I can go to t3 and t4 schools in the New England Area as well and complete my degree in 3 years. I guess I am just concerned because I will be going part-time and I do not have a job.

(Ironically, I got wait listed at unh and umaine. I also got into several other schools in areas of the country where I feel comfortable living, such as MSU and Stetson)

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:10 pm

mebo28 wrote:Hi everyone,

I was wondering what people's opinions are about the evening program, is it still a good program? I realize it will take me 4 years instead of 3. However, I am from New England (not CT), and would like to stay. Yet, I can go to t3 and t4 schools in the New England Area as well and complete my degree in 3 years. I guess I am just concerned because I will be going part-time and I do not have a job.

(Ironically, I got wait listed at unh and umaine. I also got into several other schools in areas of the country where I feel comfortable living, such as MSU and Stetson)

Do the part-time program for the first year. Do not take a job and really concentrate on kicking ass. You can then transfer into the full-time program for years 2 and 3. All you have to do is send an email to initiate the changes after 1L. It's really the way to go.

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:13 pm

Its a good program, I know some VERY successful attys who attended PT. I wouldn't be considering it if it weren't, I have 'better" options out there that I'm bypassing for UConn. (171/4.0)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lic06003

New

Post by lic06003 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:47 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
kitkat37 wrote:

Asians usually aren't considered minorities elsewhere, but by the looks of things they may at UConn. Who knows, maybe that guy had some really good softs or he just got plain lucky?
if asians are considered minorities... then maybe chances of me getting accepted are higher? uconn decision/in review times seem to be really random.

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:33 pm

The PT program is not only a good program- it's basically the exact same as the FT program. You'll have many of the same professors, classes, etc. The only real difference is that classes take place in the evening and there are fewer classes per student per semester. When it comes to your job search and future as an attorney, nobody sees any difference between graduates who were day students and those who were evening students.

Also, as someone already mentioned, it's possible to switch from the evening program to the day program.

smartblonde87

Bronze

Post by smartblonde87 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:25 pm

I got in a few weeks ago by email :)
Last edited by smartblonde87 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

please...

New

Post by please... » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:27 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:I got in a few weeks ago by email - 156/3.91 - non-URM. There is hope for low LSAT-ers :)
Congrats!!! When did you go complete/ IR?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:29 pm

Heartford wrote:The PT program is not only a good program- it's basically the exact same as the FT program. You'll have many of the same professors, classes, etc. The only real difference is that classes take place in the evening and there are fewer classes per student per semester. When it comes to your job search and future as an attorney, nobody sees any difference between graduates who were day students and those who were evening students.

Also, as someone already mentioned, it's possible to switch from the evening program to the day program.
Also the PT program can be done during the day.

tchan4269

New

Post by tchan4269 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:20 pm

lic06003 wrote:
Apompea wrote:
Asians are minorities?
A minority in terms of LS applicants is pretty much anyone who isn't a heterosexual, Caucasian male.

mebo28

New

Post by mebo28 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:32 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded.

I just had one last issue. I am concerned that part-timers may be looked down upon since we didn't get accepted into the full-time program. Which makes me wonder if part-timers ever socialize with full-timers, since they do not have class together.

Thanks!

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:25 pm

mebo28 wrote: I am concerned that part-timers may be looked down upon since we didn't get accepted into the full-time program.
No. No offense, but this is just silly. I know that the admissions process and the associated competition is very important to you now, but once you start school, nobody cares about how or why anyone else was accepted. And nobody looks down on the part timers here. Most of us are actually astounded that many of the evening students are capable of working full time and also doing all of their schoolwork- I know I wouldn't be able to juggle my life like that.

*Edited because I forgot to add: Also, just because someone is in the part-time program doesn't mean that they failed to get in to the full-time program. Most evening students have jobs, and plenty of them probably could have been FT students if they wanted to, but just didn't want to give up their cushy office gig at Aetna or The Hartford.
mebo28 wrote: Which makes me wonder if part-timers ever socialize with full-timers, since they do not have class together.
I don't really know any part-time students, but then again I don't really know many full-time students who are in other sections. That being said, if part-time students wanted to socialize with full-time students, there would be nothing standing in their way.
Last edited by Heartford on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:27 pm

ran12 wrote:
Also the PT program can be done during the day.
Really? I'm not so sure this is true.

mebo28

New

Post by mebo28 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:50 pm

Heartford wrote:
mebo28 wrote: I am concerned that part-timers may be looked down upon since we didn't get accepted into the full-time program.
No. No offense, but this is just silly. I know that the admissions process and the associated competition is very important to you now, but once you start school, nobody cares about how or why anyone else was accepted. And nobody looks down on the part timers here. Most of us are actually astounded that many of the evening students are capable of working full time and also doing all of their schoolwork- I know I wouldn't be able to juggle my life like that.

*Edited because I forgot to add: Also, just because someone is in the part-time program doesn't mean that they failed to get in to the full-time program. Most evening students have jobs, and plenty of them probably could have been FT students if they wanted to, but just didn't want to give up their cushy office gig at Aetna or The Hartford.
mebo28 wrote: Which makes me wonder if part-timers ever socialize with full-timers, since they do not have class together.
I don't really know any part-time students, but then again I don't really know many full-time students who are in other sections. That being said, if part-time students wanted to socialize with full-time students, there would be nothing standing in their way.

Well I asked this because as many know, the part-time program requires lower numbers overall to get into. No offense, but I just do not need to take guff from some high horsed person about not being up to his or her level. I have dealt enough with that in my life.

The social aspect comes from if I am able to transfer into the day division, I feel that I may not know anyone to study with while everyone already has their study click or whatever.

Apompea

New

Post by Apompea » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:27 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:I got in a few weeks ago by email - 156/3.91 - non-URM. There is hope for low LSAT-ers :)
What did you do? a letter directly to UConn? when did you apply? I'm just honestly confused as to why I got wait listed.. my LSAT is their 2010 median and my GPA is well above their 75th percentile and I feel my personal statement was really well written.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:29 pm

Apompea wrote:
What did you do? a letter directly to UConn? when did you apply? I'm just honestly confused as to why I got wait listed.. my LSAT is their 2010 median and my GPA is well above their 75th percentile and I feel my personal statement was really well written.

Is your LSAT a 159? The median is not 159. This is below median. I believe there median was a 161 and a year before that it was a 162.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”