UConn Applicants 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Bear46

New

Re: UConn Applicants 2011

Post by Bear46 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:30 pm

iMisto wrote:I'll pass on the deposits.

When I originally applied, I thought I'd be content with any/all of the schools I chose. After sending them out, however, I honestly do not believe I'd be happy with any of my choices, other than UConn. The debt load just wouldn't be worth it, IMO, unless I snagged a spot at a school I felt provided me with decent career prospects.

I'm graduating from ASU this May with honors (3.68, hopefully a 3.7 after this semester), a BIS in Women/Gender Studies and Political Science, as well as a BFA in Painting. My LSAT was an abysmally low 157, but I was pulling 6 classes (18credits), 40hr work weeks, and an internship with a non-profit teaching civics at the women's prison when I took the test. My only prep was two weekends during July - test in October.

I figure, I'll move to CT, work part time, take a lengthy course that leads up to the test, and improve my chances?? As far as the rest of my application goes, I feel I've accumulated decent softs, great letters of recommendation, and a nice, though editable statement. Furthermore, I think my background constitutes a relatively diverse applicant - father wrongfully shot and killed by state police, leaving my mom a single parent of three, grew up in poverty, depended on social programs (now being cut!), first college graduate in the family, gay, etc.

My friends and family insist I take the scholarships at one of the schools I've already been accepted to, but they're not the ones getting buried in debt. I'm looking for some sound advice here - or, perhaps, just reassurance that the above plan is the smart move.

Thanks for the help! :)
If you don't get into UConn, I think the right decision is to wait, retake the LSAT and apply early for fall of 2012. The schools you've been accepted to, even with substantial scholarships, aren't necessarily worth the debt load you'd still take on to go there. Besides, if you move to CT and reapply, you'd gain instate tuition for your first year in law school at UConn. It seems like you have a good backup plan!

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:53 pm

Thanks for the encouragement you guys! I appreciate it.

I'll stick to the plan then. :)

tchan4269

New

Post by tchan4269 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:49 pm

iMisto wrote:I'll pass on the deposits.

When I originally applied, I thought I'd be content with any/all of the schools I chose. After sending them out, however, I honestly do not believe I'd be happy with any of my choices, other than UConn. The debt load just wouldn't be worth it, IMO, unless I snagged a spot at a school I felt provided me with decent career prospects.

I'm graduating from ASU this May with honors (3.68, hopefully a 3.7 after this semester), a BIS in Women/Gender Studies and Political Science, as well as a BFA in Painting. My LSAT was an abysmally low 157, but I was pulling 6 classes (18credits), 40hr work weeks, and an internship with a non-profit teaching civics at the women's prison when I took the test. My only prep was two weekends during July - test in October.

I figure, I'll move to CT, work part time, take a lengthy course that leads up to the test, and improve my chances?? As far as the rest of my application goes, I feel I've accumulated decent softs, great letters of recommendation, and a nice, though editable statement. Furthermore, I think my background constitutes a relatively diverse applicant - father wrongfully shot and killed by state police, leaving my mom a single parent of three, grew up in poverty, depended on social programs (now being cut!), first college graduate in the family, gay, etc.

My friends and family insist I take the scholarships at one of the schools I've already been accepted to, but they're not the ones getting buried in debt. I'm looking for some sound advice here - or, perhaps, just reassurance that the above plan is the smart move.

Thanks for the help! :)
What if you get a significantly higher score that could vastly improve your chances at much better LS? Would you still be dead-set on UConn ? Something to think about in terms of actually moving to CT.

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:54 pm

Ha! Though I like your optimism, I'm not entirely sure of how realistic it is. :) I definitely want to end up on the east coast, so CT feels right.

bostonlove21

New

Post by bostonlove21 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:19 am

FYI- Heard from admissions today that they are currently working on the "new admits" section of the website, so we can't log-in yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rehtulx

New

Post by rehtulx » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:08 pm

Just heard back from admissions I probably won't get a decision until end of NEXT week :(

musicalmissionary

New

Post by musicalmissionary » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:52 pm

rehtulx wrote:Just heard back from admissions I probably won't get a decision until end of NEXT week :(
When did you apply and what does your status checker currently say?

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:41 am

I applied Feb. 23, In Review Apr. 7.. Any ideas when I'll get a decision??

rehtulx

New

Post by rehtulx » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:16 am

I went in review the same day. I emailed admissions and they said towards the end of next week unfortunately.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:46 pm

That's better than another few weeks! Haha I'm just discouraged that seat deposits are over and done with - what are the chances of being "accepted" now? Pshh.. :/

smartblonde87

Bronze

Post by smartblonde87 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:59 pm

Withdrew last week. Best of luck at such a gorgeous school!

mebo28

New

Post by mebo28 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:04 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:Withdrew last week. Best of luck at such a gorgeous school!
Where are you off to?

Patriot29

New

Post by Patriot29 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:46 pm

iMisto wrote:That's better than another few weeks! Haha I'm just discouraged that seat deposits are over and done with - what are the chances of being "accepted" now? Pshh.. :/
Do you think we're at a disadvantage because UConn already received all their 1st seat deposits? I applied late Dec, been in review since 3/14. I feel like since they haven't made a decision and deposits have been received, my chances have been hurt badly because I'm competing for less seats (or maybe no seats?)...am I wrong? It's funny how I've heard from every school by now except my #1 choice (UConn), this is torture.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mebo28

New

Post by mebo28 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:01 pm

Patriot29 wrote:
iMisto wrote:That's better than another few weeks! Haha I'm just discouraged that seat deposits are over and done with - what are the chances of being "accepted" now? Pshh.. :/
Do you think we're at a disadvantage because UConn already received all their 1st seat deposits? I applied late Dec, been in review since 3/14. I feel like since they haven't made a decision and deposits have been received, my chances have been hurt badly because I'm competing for less seats (or maybe no seats?)...am I wrong? It's funny how I've heard from every school by now except my #1 choice (UConn), this is torture.
That is very odd. I also applied in very late December, but heard back in March.

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:19 am

I can't imagine it puts in a good position. :( but at the same time... Couldn't they just waitlisted us if all the seats were filled, instead of making us wait..?

Patriot29

New

Post by Patriot29 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:33 pm

I just hope that it's a good sign that we haven't been waitlisted yet. But yea I feel like I have reason to be frustrated when UConn states that they review files in the order in which they become complete, and I went complete in late December and haven't heard back yet whereas people who applied in February have already received decisions.

Normally I'd understand if those who applied in February had good numbers and were easy decisions for UConn, therefore they got acceptances early. However this is not the case, as people who applied later have numbers all across the board.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:08 pm

Hey now, I am a waitlisted guy. Don't make me feel so bad about it. :wink:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rehtulx

New

Post by rehtulx » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:41 am

This is ridiculous; I am STILL in review April 29?!

lic06003

New

Post by lic06003 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:25 am

rehtulx wrote:This is ridiculous; I am STILL in review April 29?!
I was in review for 9 weeks before I got my acceptance. It sucks but hang it there :)

rehtulx

New

Post by rehtulx » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:36 pm

WL'd today via email.

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:15 pm

WL'd today as well. Not entirely surprised, given my numbers.

I'm in the process of getting a few more LOR's and writing up a letter of continued (1st choice) interest. "I ain't too proud to beg."

Any tips or advice??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:59 pm

iMisto wrote:WL'd today as well. Not entirely surprised, given my numbers.

I'm in the process of getting a few more LOR's and writing up a letter of continued (1st choice) interest. "I ain't too proud to beg."

Any tips or advice??
Go through the UConn law site, blogs, and any other thing you can to learn about UConn. Pick some things about UConn that stand out to you and show why they're important to you. You have to show them you really put thought into the LOCI and mentioning a particular clinic or something like that will help. I think too many people make the mistake of writing LOCIs about how much they love the school and other very obvious things like strong academics, reputation, etc. They won't be impressed if you just mention that kind of stuff.

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:55 am

^ Thank you for the advice! I used it. :) Finishing up my LOCI now and having it edited by my nice attorney friend. Also managed to snag 3-4 more LORs. Fingers are super crossed.

Any idea what the chances are of getting off a WL with them??

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:06 pm

iMisto wrote:^ Thank you for the advice! I used it. :) Finishing up my LOCI now and having it edited by my nice attorney friend. Also managed to snag 3-4 more LORs. Fingers are super crossed.

I think the next deposit is in June, so I would guess that some movement will take place then. Good luck!

mebo28

New

Post by mebo28 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:57 pm

snapdragon wrote:
iMisto wrote:^ Thank you for the advice! I used it. :) Finishing up my LOCI now and having it edited by my nice attorney friend. Also managed to snag 3-4 more LORs. Fingers are super crossed.

I think the next deposit is in June, so I would guess that some movement will take place then. Good luck!
Snap, you changed your avatar.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”