Illinois 2011 applicants!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
anthropologieaddict

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby anthropologieaddict » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Hannibal wrote:A couple thoughts on the email:

1. The employment % is pretty encouraging, since the "ITE" classes still had 98% employment.
2. The salary numbers, on the other hand, are a little discomforting. Median of 77k with 80% reporting, I'm guessing the median was more like 65k. I wonder how much this was impacted by the economy, how much is self-selection, etc.

I agree, the 77k is discomforting. I also wonder about the same things. That being said, I wonder how many schools even report 80% or more of their salary info.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:11 pm

chicagocubsrule wrote:
Hannibal wrote:A couple thoughts on the email:

1. The employment % is pretty encouraging, since the "ITE" classes still had 98% employment.
2. The salary numbers, on the other hand, are a little discomforting. Median of 77k with 80% reporting, I'm guessing the median was more like 65k. I wonder how much this was impacted by the economy, how much is self-selection, etc.

yikes....77k? bye bye biglaw

Considering the recent NLJ numbers put something like 17% of the class in biglaw (don't quote me), I'm surprised the median is as high as it is. Definitely suggests that midlaw or high-paying smaller law firm jobs are much larger than we give credit for.

KingRajesh

Postby KingRajesh » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:24 pm

For me, it shows that jobs are out there, but you have to put in the extra effort if you want to make the big money that people dream of. I mean, Illinois grads are still placing in Cravath, Winston and Strawn, Shearman & Sterling, McDermott... So if you want Big Law, it's still possible.

You just gotta keep your end of the bargain.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:29 pm

From the other UIUC thread:

Pless wrote:Someone emailed with a good question that I should have included in the email. The average salary for students going into private practice was $114,000 the average for PI/Govt was $48,000.

Believe it or not, we actually have a lot of students who come in to the school wanting to practice in the public arena and we manage not to corrupt them during their three years here. As a public school we feel this is a critical part of our mission. We have developed an array of public interest scholarships and our LRAP program to meet the needs of these students.

As I said in the email this is a critical part of the decision process. I encourage you to ask any questions you may have. I also encourage you to make sure that we are comparing schools that you are comparing apples to apples.

KingRajesh

Postby KingRajesh » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:34 pm

krad wrote:From the other UIUC thread:

Pless wrote:Someone emailed with a good question that I should have included in the email. The average salary for students going into private practice was $114,000 the average for PI/Govt was $48,000.

Believe it or not, we actually have a lot of students who come in to the school wanting to practice in the public arena and we manage not to corrupt them during their three years here. As a public school we feel this is a critical part of our mission. We have developed an array of public interest scholarships and our LRAP program to meet the needs of these students.

As I said in the email this is a critical part of the decision process. I encourage you to ask any questions you may have. I also encourage you to make sure that we are comparing schools that you are comparing apples to apples.

That's much better. ;)

krad

Postby krad » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:46 pm

KingRajesh wrote:That's much better. ;)

Haha

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:23 pm

Haha that makes more sense.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:35 pm

Did anyone else get the Employment data email?

Dear ArchRoark,

Choosing the right law school is an important and complicated process. At Illinois, our goal is to provide our admitted students with the information that they need to make the best decision possible.

In that spirit, I write to share the following employment-related data for our three most recent graduating classes (2008, 2009 and 2010), reflecting placement information for 99.66% of our graduates (597 of 599) and salary information for roughly 80%.

I hope that this information helps you in making an informed decision about where to pursue your legal studies. I encourage you to ask other law schools that you may be considering for similar information so that you can make a decision that is right for you. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Paul

University of Illinois College of Law 2008-10 Employment Data

Employment Rates

Over the past three years, the University of Illinois College of Law has averaged an employment rate of 87% at graduation and an employment rate of 98% nine months after graduation.

Geographic Distribution

Two-thirds of the College’s graduates started their careers in the state of Illinois – predominately in Chicago (93%). The remaining third took jobs in 32 different states and 7 foreign countries. After Illinois, the College’s most common markets were California, New York, the District of Columbia, and Texas.

Type of Employment

57% Private Practice

Of those entering private practice, 49% took positions with firms of 250 or more attorneys. Representative firms include: Arnold & Porter LLP; Baker & Daniels LLP; Baker Botts LLP; Baker & McKenzie LLP; Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP; Chapman and Cutler LLP; Covington & Burling LLP; Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP; DLA Piper LLP; Foley & Lardner LLP; Greenberg Traurig LLP; Ice Miller LLP; Jenner & Block LLP; Jones Day; K&L Gates LLP; Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP; Kirkland & Ellis LLP; Latham & Watkins LLP; Locke Lord Bissell & Liddell LLP; Mayer Brown LLP; McGuireWoods LLP; McDermott Will & Emery LLP; Morrison & Foerster LLP; Nixon Peabody LLP; Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker LLP; Perkins Coie LLP; Schiff Hardin LLP; Seyfarth Shaw LLP; Shearman & Sterling LLP; Sidley Austin LLP; SNR Denton; Sullivan & Cromwell LLP; Thompson Coburn LLP; Warner Norcross & Judd LLP; Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker LLP; and Winston & Strawn LLP.

15% Government/Public Interest

Representative employers include: City of Chicago; Department of Justice; Department of Labor; Easter Seals of America; Georgia Legal Services; Internal Revenue Service; Judge Advocate General (Army, Air Force, and Navy); Prairie State Legal Services; Cook County State’s Attorney; and the Securities and Exchange Commission.

11% Business

Representative employers include: Allstate; Boeing; KPMG; McDonalds; Microsoft; Sears; and State Farm Insurance.

8% Judicial Clerkships

Representative courts include: U.S. Courts of Appeals for the 4th, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 10th Circuits; U.S. District Courts in Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Texas; and the Illinois Supreme Court.

4% Continuing Education

Salary Data

Average Starting Salary: $95,232 Median Starting Salary: $77,636

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:52 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Did anyone else get the Employment data email?

Dear ArchRoark,

Choosing the right law school is an important and complicated process. At Illinois, our goal is to provide our admitted students with the information that they need to make the best decision possible.

In that spirit, I write to share the following employment-related data for our three most recent graduating classes (2008, 2009 and 2010), reflecting placement information for 99.66% of our graduates (597 of 599) and salary information for roughly 80%.

I hope that this information helps you in making an informed decision about where to pursue your legal studies. I encourage you to ask other law schools that you may be considering for similar information so that you can make a decision that is right for you. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Paul

University of Illinois College of Law 2008-10 Employment Data

Employment Rates

Over the past three years, the University of Illinois College of Law has averaged an employment rate of 87% at graduation and an employment rate of 98% nine months after graduation.

Geographic Distribution

Two-thirds of the College’s graduates started their careers in the state of Illinois – predominately in Chicago (93%). The remaining third took jobs in 32 different states and 7 foreign countries. After Illinois, the College’s most common markets were California, New York, the District of Columbia, and Texas.

Type of Employment

57% Private Practice

Of those entering private practice, 49% took positions with firms of 250 or more attorneys. Representative firms include: Arnold & Porter LLP; Baker & Daniels LLP; Baker Botts LLP; Baker & McKenzie LLP; Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP; Chapman and Cutler LLP; Covington & Burling LLP; Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP; DLA Piper LLP; Foley & Lardner LLP; Greenberg Traurig LLP; Ice Miller LLP; Jenner & Block LLP; Jones Day; K&L Gates LLP; Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP; Kirkland & Ellis LLP; Latham & Watkins LLP; Locke Lord Bissell & Liddell LLP; Mayer Brown LLP; McGuireWoods LLP; McDermott Will & Emery LLP; Morrison & Foerster LLP; Nixon Peabody LLP; Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker LLP; Perkins Coie LLP; Schiff Hardin LLP; Seyfarth Shaw LLP; Shearman & Sterling LLP; Sidley Austin LLP; SNR Denton; Sullivan & Cromwell LLP; Thompson Coburn LLP; Warner Norcross & Judd LLP; Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker LLP; and Winston & Strawn LLP.

15% Government/Public Interest

Representative employers include: City of Chicago; Department of Justice; Department of Labor; Easter Seals of America; Georgia Legal Services; Internal Revenue Service; Judge Advocate General (Army, Air Force, and Navy); Prairie State Legal Services; Cook County State’s Attorney; and the Securities and Exchange Commission.

11% Business

Representative employers include: Allstate; Boeing; KPMG; McDonalds; Microsoft; Sears; and State Farm Insurance.

8% Judicial Clerkships

Representative courts include: U.S. Courts of Appeals for the 4th, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 10th Circuits; U.S. District Courts in Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Texas; and the Illinois Supreme Court.

4% Continuing Education

Salary Data

Average Starting Salary: $95,232 Median Starting Salary: $77,636

:roll:
McDonald's corporate headquarters is in Illinois. I'm certain the job(s) UIUC is bragging about is/are corporate jobs.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:03 pm

Lwoods wrote:
McDonald's corporate headquarters is in Illinois. I'm certain the job(s) UIUC is bragging about is/are corporate jobs.

That make a lot more sense. I wasn't trying to insult UIUC, I actually have a lot of respect for the transparency of their admissions office. It just caught my eye.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:14 pm

ArchRoark wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

That make a lot more sense. I wasn't trying to insult UIUC, I actually have a lot of respect for the transparency of their admissions office. It just caught my eye.

Sorry for the eye roll... I'm a home office employee of a major retailer, and it bugs me when new acquaintances think I work at the mall (which I recognize is my problem, not theirs...or yours). :oops:

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:21 pm

TBH, I'm really impressed with those employment stats. That's their medians in the worst economic downturn in 80 years? Fucking sign me up.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:08 pm

Now I really can't wait to visit next week... With the latest stats and my scholly, I'm quite excited!

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:30 pm

Hannibal wrote:TBH, I'm really impressed with those employment stats. That's their medians in the worst economic downturn in 80 years? Fucking sign me up.

+1

KingRajesh

Postby KingRajesh » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:59 am

anthropologieaddict wrote:
Hannibal wrote:TBH, I'm really impressed with those employment stats. That's their medians in the worst economic downturn in 80 years? Fucking sign me up.

+1

+2!

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:05 am

Wow, transparency at its best. I hope other schools even try to do this.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:41 pm

77,000?

Yikes.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:43 pm

kk19131 wrote:77,000?

Yikes.

Private sector average = $114,000

Public Interest average = $48,000

Not bad numbers given ITE....

mez06

Postby mez06 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:51 pm

Yeah I'm Glad Dean Pless posted that additional number. Had already mentally stored it away to ask at ASD.

Looking forward to April 1. Hope its warm though! 8)

krad

Postby krad » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:57 pm

Good luck to those about to receive decisions! :)

Perplexed Penguin

Postby Perplexed Penguin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:08 pm

accepted 25k a year!

I think I will be deciding between this is Wash U. Unfortunately I am traveling 1500 miles to visit so I can only go to one of the schools accepted students days. Has anyone gone to both? Any recommendations on which one to attend and which one to just visit?

krad

Postby krad » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:11 pm

Perplexed Penguin wrote:accepted 25k a year!

I think I will be deciding between this is Wash U. Unfortunately I am traveling 1500 miles to visit so I can only go to one of the schools accepted students days. Has anyone gone to both? Any recommendations on which one to attend and which one to just visit?

Congrats!

FWIW I'm 'just visiting' both of those schools. Next Friday I have a meeting with Pless, a tour, a class to attend, and I'm trying to meet up with some current students. If you can make an ASW I think it'd be great, but even by just visiting I think you'll probably get a great idea of what's what :)

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:19 pm

krad wrote:

Congrats!

FWIW I'm 'just visiting' both of those schools. Next Friday I have a meeting with Pless, a tour, a class to attend, and I'm trying to meet up with some current students. If you can make an ASW I think it'd be great, but even by just visiting I think you'll probably get a great idea of what's what :)

Accepted 40K per year 8)

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:21 pm

I made this same choice, if you have any questions about why or how I chose, feel free to ask.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:21 pm

Congrats to the new admits.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”