Illinois 2011 applicants!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Gotti

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby Gotti » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:57 am

sojasoph wrote:in-40K/year no stip. yay

this fool is a troll. :evil:

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:02 pm

Anyone catch the Illinois-MSU basketball game on ESPN last night? Nice game by Illinois...is it wrong for a law school applicant to say they want to be a part of a rowdy student section? I feel like that's frowned upon but I don't care, I love sports and student sections!

Anywho, Illinois has some great football and basketball, which I think adds to the recreational appeal of a school.

krad

Postby krad » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:04 pm

pereira6 wrote:Anyone catch the Illinois-MSU basketball game on ESPN last night? Nice game by Illinois...is it wrong for a law school applicant to say they want to be a part of a rowdy student section? I feel like that's frowned upon but I don't care, I love sports and student sections!

Anywho, Illinois has some great football and basketball, which I think adds to the recreational appeal of a school.

ME! Entertaining game! My parents both went to MSU UG so I've always been a big State fan... My Dad said I can't root for Illinois until I make a final decision :mrgreen:

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:08 pm

krad wrote:
pereira6 wrote:Anyone catch the Illinois-MSU basketball game on ESPN last night? Nice game by Illinois...is it wrong for a law school applicant to say they want to be a part of a rowdy student section? I feel like that's frowned upon but I don't care, I love sports and student sections!

ME! Entertaining game! My parents both went to MSU UG so I've always been a big State fan... My Dad said I can't root for Illinois until I make a final decision :mrgreen:

It was actually tough for me too, I've been a MSU sports fan since I was very young (I'm from Rochester NY with no connections...just started liking MSU hockey when I was 5, carried over to basketball and football shortly after)...I was cheering for my Spartans but it was the first time I wasn't terribly upset they lost, because I thought "I could actually BE at Illinois!!!"

krad

Postby krad » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:10 pm

pereira6 wrote: It was actually tough for me too, I've been a MSU sports fan since I was very young (I'm from Rochester NY with no connections...just started liking MSU hockey when I was 5, carried over to basketball and football shortly after)...I was cheering for my Spartans but it was the first time I wasn't terribly upset they lost, because I thought "I could actually BE at Illinois!!!"

:lol: this was exactly my thinking last eve... Student section woo! I went to UCLA UG. I think going to a big sports school is always fun, even if I probably won't have any time to attend sporting events in LS :roll:

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:16 pm

krad wrote:
pereira6 wrote: It was actually tough for me too, I've been a MSU sports fan since I was very young (I'm from Rochester NY with no connections...just started liking MSU hockey when I was 5, carried over to basketball and football shortly after)...I was cheering for my Spartans but it was the first time I wasn't terribly upset they lost, because I thought "I could actually BE at Illinois!!!"

:lol: this was exactly my thinking last eve... Student section woo! I went to UCLA UG. I think going to a big sports school is always fun, even if I probably won't have any time to attend sporting events in LS :roll:

I disagree! It's very well noted that LS will take up a TON of time but you will still have time to have a semblance of a life. I plan on spending it at sporting events haha...I'm pretty much the poster boy fan for my UG so I'm not ready to give up my school spirit until I'm way too old :D

krad

Postby krad » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:25 pm

Haha I guess I'm just expecting the worst and hoping for the best when it comes to college sports in LS! If time allows it, I will be there rooting my little heart out right along with ya!

FWIW, I love this group. We're talking sports, beer, and bbq in a LS forum. Perfection!

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:30 pm

krad wrote:Haha I guess I'm just expecting the worst and hoping for the best when it comes to college sports in LS! If time allows it, I will be there rooting my little heart out right along with ya!

FWIW, I love this group. We're talking sports, beer, and bbq in a LS forum. Perfection!

It's borderline making me want to go to Illinois.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:31 pm

pereira6 wrote:
krad wrote:Haha I guess I'm just expecting the worst and hoping for the best when it comes to college sports in LS! If time allows it, I will be there rooting my little heart out right along with ya!

pshtttt

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:34 pm

Barbie wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

pshtttt

How is that a bad thing?! :(

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:34 pm

pereira6 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
pereira6 wrote:It's borderline making me want to go to Illinois.

pshtttt

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:37 pm

Barbie wrote:
pereira6 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
pereira6 wrote:It's borderline making me want to go to Illinois.

pshtttt

Haha I'm sorry I'm not part of the auto-attend Illinois group, but I am very excited about it! I gotta wait for every school to get back to me before I jump the gun :)

If my cycle ended now, I am 99% sure I'd go to Illinois, FWIW

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:39 pm

So I'm on the waitlist, which means even if I get in I won't get any $$. Is it even worth it? I don't think I can swallow paying sticker. What does anyone else think?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:40 pm

jayman6 wrote:So I'm on the waitlist, which means even if I get in I won't get any $$. Is it even worth it? I don't think I can swallow paying sticker. What does anyone else think?

Thats not true that if you get in you won't get $$. Dean Pless said that often waitlist candidates are offered $ to match those of the originally admitted candidates.

krad

Postby krad » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:41 pm

. Edited for echoing Barbie's post :)

OfficialWheelman

Postby OfficialWheelman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:46 pm

Gotti wrote:
sojasoph wrote:in-40K/year no stip. yay

this fool is a troll. :evil:

Haters gonna hate.

OfficialWheelman

Postby OfficialWheelman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:47 pm

Barbie wrote:
jayman6 wrote:So I'm on the waitlist, which means even if I get in I won't get any $$. Is it even worth it? I don't think I can swallow paying sticker. What does anyone else think?

Thats not true that if you get in you won't get $$. Dean Pless said that often waitlist candidates are offered $ to match those of the originally admitted candidates.

Agreed. I know this is anecdotal evidence, but I had a friend who was offered scholly money off the waitlist two years back. It can happen.

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:08 pm

Hannibal, the fact that there being a Chipotle there is reassuring to someone else makes me feel better, so thanks for that. Ha. :D

I am definitely attending the February ASW, so I am excited to meet some of you!

And Barbie I look forward to seeing some of your pictures! :)

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:13 pm

I think it really depends when you would get in from the waitlist, the closer you get to the start of classes the more funds will be exhausted.

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:50 pm

Has anyone else on the waitlist sent in a LOCI? How long should it be? I have reasons for wanting to attend Illinois, but I'm thinking it would be best to keep it to a paragraph or two?

krad

Postby krad » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:54 am

FWIW Jay, I wrote a Why Illinois essay with my app as an addendum and kept it to one or two (can't remember right now honestly) short paragraphs. I don't think it has to be anything long, just let your genuine interest shine!

Also other admits, got my first info packet in the mail today- stoked to read up! I can't wait for that USB and box though (WUSTL sent a USB today, hmmm...)!!

E: Also, this article on LOCI's may be helpful: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27169 there are several others, so try searching around these forums :)

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:02 am

krad wrote:FWIW Jay, I wrote a Why Illinois essay with my app as an addendum and kept it to one or two (can't remember right now honestly) short paragraphs. I don't think it has to be anything long, just let your genuine interest shine!

Also other admits, got my first info packet in the mail today- stoked to read up! I can't wait for that USB and box though (WUSTL sent a USB today, hmmm...)!!

E: Also, this article on LOCI's may be helpful: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27169 there are several others, so try searching around these forums :)

I threw together my Why Illinois in like 10 minutes while drunk, it was around a paragraph long. I got $40k a year no stipulations. Which isn't to say mine was bad, but it certainly doesn't need a lot of effort.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:40 am

I'm going to get waitlisted tomorrow. :( All the 167s on LSN that didnt have killer GPAs were WL.

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:42 am

krad wrote:FWIW Jay, I wrote a Why Illinois essay with my app as an addendum and kept it to one or two (can't remember right now honestly) short paragraphs. I don't think it has to be anything long, just let your genuine interest shine!

+1 Thanks a lot

giddybiscuit

Postby giddybiscuit » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:49 am

I got my admission packet but no USB. Does it come separately?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”