Illinois 2011 applicants!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby thelaststraw05 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:31 pm

Definitely check kayak.com though. I just checked out of curiosity and it is just $261 round trip out of the DC area.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby Barbie » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:32 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:Definitely check kayak.com though. I just checked out of curiosity and it is just $261 round trip out of the DC area.


I've been trying all day. Its not loading from my work computer :( It just thinks for an hour.

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby Lwoods » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:34 pm

Barbie wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
Barbie wrote:Chicago is the closest airport besides the one in U-C? Bloomington is a no? Theres also Peora or something (I suck at spelling :( ) and a few others in Illinois that I see.


Bloomington and Springfield will be closer than Chicago. Peoria is probably about as far away as Chicago, and likely more complicated of a drive.

Does your dad have snow-driving experience? Just something to consider for a February trip to the midwest... there probably won't be snow by then, but there could be. ;) (Personally, I'd much rather fly in snow than drive!)


Well, I'll be the one doing the driving because he is clostraphobic and will be drugged. I've never driven in snow (haven't even seen it since... 8th grade? 6th grade?) but I'll have to work with it haha (aka drive 2 miles per hour)


hahaha. That was me driving to work today. :) I mean, I've seen snow every year of my life, but I haven't driven in it at all in the past 8 years or so. If it's not super expensive, fly into CMI.

(And disregard what I wrote about Peoria... for some reason I was thinking it was farther North than it is :oops: ).

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby thelaststraw05 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:36 pm

Barbie wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:Definitely check kayak.com though. I just checked out of curiosity and it is just $261 round trip out of the DC area.


I've been trying all day. Its not loading from my work computer :( It just thinks for an hour.


I have no need to be checking either. I don't have any possibility of knowing the fate of my application until at least 1/7/11. I went complete 12/1/10. So I could be waiting even longer as they just took the group from 11/10/10-11/19/10.

*sigh*

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby chrisbru » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:48 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:Definitely check kayak.com though. I just checked out of curiosity and it is just $261 round trip out of the DC area.


I've been trying all day. Its not loading from my work computer :( It just thinks for an hour.


I have no need to be checking either. I don't have any possibility of knowing the fate of my application until at least 1/7/11. I went complete 12/1/10. So I could be waiting even longer as they just took the group from 11/10/10-11/19/10.

*sigh*



Looks like $390 is about what I'd pay to get to CMI from Seattle. Not terrible... But I'll be about 2 hours from UC when I'm visiting my Grandma's for Christmas, so I may just try to take a drive through. No classroom experience, nor meeting any students though.... Hm, what to do...

I guess this is preemptive still, since I won't know my decision until Friday...

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby Barbie » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:52 pm

Found 2 round trip tickets from Tampa to Champaign for @ 450 per person (including the taxes). $900 spent haha

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby thelaststraw05 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:53 pm

chrisbru wrote:Looks like $390 is about what I'd pay to get to CMI from Seattle. Not terrible... But I'll be about 2 hours from UC when I'm visiting my Grandma's for Christmas, so I may just try to take a drive through. No classroom experience, nor meeting any students though.... Hm, what to do...

I guess this is preemptive still, since I won't know my decision until Friday...


I visited a school when I couldn't sit in on a class and I don't really feel like I know anything more about the school than I did before I visited. I would wait until you can go to a class or at least talk to some students.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby Barbie » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:58 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Looks like $390 is about what I'd pay to get to CMI from Seattle. Not terrible... But I'll be about 2 hours from UC when I'm visiting my Grandma's for Christmas, so I may just try to take a drive through. No classroom experience, nor meeting any students though.... Hm, what to do...

I guess this is preemptive still, since I won't know my decision until Friday...


I visited a school when I couldn't sit in on a class and I don't really feel like I know anything more about the school than I did before I visited. I would wait until you can go to a class or at least talk to some students.


I called and made sure that on the day I want to visit I could schedule a tour. She said I will be given a tour of the building, be able to sit in on a class, and I will get to meet Dean Pless if he is available :) Then I'll spend the remainder of my trip looking at houses/apartments and checking out the town.

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:03 pm

Why am I still Incomplete @ Illinois? Haven't checked the status checker in a while and STILL incomplete, which doesn't make sense, I applied at the same time as my other schools and I've gotten decisions at many of them.

Time to e-mail them I guess. :X

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby Barbie » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:10 pm

Thought I'd throw this out there: Illinois houses are strange looking. lol

athenian
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:29 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby athenian » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:14 pm

Last Friday I went from "Complete" to "Complete - ready to review"

Does that mean I'll be switching to "In Review" this coming Friday? Furthermore, does it mean I can expect a Christmas Eve decision?

User avatar
stlisforlovers
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby stlisforlovers » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:18 pm

Man, originally, I thought I had a decent shot at U of I, but looking at LSN, it's not looking so great this year. While it's really cool that U of I is not just numbers based, it makes the application process much, much scarier. I love you, Illinois, let me in!

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby dpk711 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:11 pm

got accepted last Friday with a $90,000 scholarship...

User avatar
anthropologieaddict
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby anthropologieaddict » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:24 pm

dpk711 wrote:got accepted last Friday with a $90,000 scholarship...


Congrats!

User avatar
masochist
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby masochist » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:54 am

masochist wrote:Here we go.

masochist wrote:On-deck Circle

In the interest of continuing to avoid work, I compiled a list of people who will be obsessively checking their email along with me next Friday. Quote and add your name if you are also under review. Neuroses love company. Good luck everyone, and sorry if I missed someone.

masochist
Bildungsroman
mez06
pinkzebra
chrisbru
SortOfObsessed
DieAntwoord
Softsgalore
Kalede
Risktaker
JenLoblaw
kad1026



1 day left, Dec. 17th people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_IKcMl_a9A

Oh yeah, I went there.

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby thewarflamingo » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:25 pm

Has anyone from Friday's batch of acceptances gotten their letter in the mail yet? I'm still waiting in TX.

User avatar
kad1026
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby kad1026 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:28 pm

only one more day! it's kind of exciting/terrifying to know by this time tomorrow i will have a decision from illinois.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby dpk711 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:34 pm

Ok guys, I don't know too much about UIUC and its career prospects... do you think I'm justified to take a $90,000 3/year scholly in UIUC over Georgetown or Vandy at sticker??

User avatar
kad1026
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby kad1026 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:36 pm

dpk711 wrote:Ok guys, I don't know too much about UIUC and its career prospects... do you think I'm justified to take a $90,000 3/year scholly in UIUC over Georgetown or Vandy at sticker??


congrats on the scholarship! i think it would depend on where you want to work... but FWIW i would pick vandy or the scholarship from illinois over GULC

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby Hannibal » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:37 pm

dpk711 wrote:Ok guys, I don't know too much about UIUC and its career prospects... do you think I'm justified to take a $90,000 3/year scholly in UIUC over Georgetown or Vandy at sticker??


IMO, absolutely. Vandy isn't too much better than UIUC, and the Midwest market is doing better than DC.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby dpk711 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:38 pm

kad1026 wrote:
dpk711 wrote:Ok guys, I don't know too much about UIUC and its career prospects... do you think I'm justified to take a $90,000 3/year scholly in UIUC over Georgetown or Vandy at sticker??


congrats on the scholarship! i think it would depend on where you want to work... but FWIW i would pick vandy or the scholarship from illinois over GULC


I would like to practice biglaw at DC or NY, preferably a NLJ250 firm

User avatar
Albatross
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:30 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby Albatross » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:46 pm

Complete as of today.

User avatar
stlisforlovers
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby stlisforlovers » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:55 pm

any one else in the next batch of decisions released on 1/7?

User avatar
Albatross
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:30 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby Albatross » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:33 pm

What seems to be the average time it's taking to go from complete to decision?

User avatar
Albatross
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:30 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby Albatross » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:34 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:any one else in the next batch of decisions released on 1/7?


And, if UIUC is even slightly consistent, there should be decisions going out tomorrow for some.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, AFtoLawschool, carlos_danger, chromefox, dala77, Fantasyfreak294, Google Adsense [Bot], jdanz, katthegreat11, laqueredup, lawnerd87, nightie, okf731, Rich Uncle Skeleton, studyingeveryday and 34 guests