Illinois 2011 applicants!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby blurbz » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:06 pm

I don't want to hi-jack the thread or steal the thunder of all of the new admits/waitlists (congratulations, by the way), but I thought I'd quickly answer the housing question:

I'm a 1L and it was important to me to have a reasonably spacious place to myself. I started looking for apartments late (March/April) and I was able to find a nice 2-bedroom, furnished place for about 750/month. I had them remove one of the bedroom sets and I use that space as an office. I'm happy with it, and I know there was a lot of housing to choose from.

I think someone said their budget was around 1200-1400/month. If that doesn't include utilities, you'll be living in the nicest place in Champaign (or the most overpriced--one of the two, I'm sure!). If it DOES include utilities, you'll still be living in a great place (My utilities are about 100/month for electric/gas and 30/month for water.)

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask: I know there are a lot of Illinois 1Ls around these boards and I'm sure we'd all be more than willing to help!

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby Barbie » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:18 pm

blurbz wrote:I don't want to hi-jack the thread or steal the thunder of all of the new admits/waitlists (congratulations, by the way), but I thought I'd quickly answer the housing question:

I'm a 1L and it was important to me to have a reasonably spacious place to myself. I started looking for apartments late (March/April) and I was able to find a nice 2-bedroom, furnished place for about 750/month. I had them remove one of the bedroom sets and I use that space as an office. I'm happy with it, and I know there was a lot of housing to choose from.

I think someone said their budget was around 1200-1400/month. If that doesn't include utilities, you'll be living in the nicest place in Champaign (or the most overpriced--one of the two, I'm sure!). If it DOES include utilities, you'll still be living in a great place (My utilities are about 100/month for electric/gas and 30/month for water.)

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask: I know there are a lot of Illinois 1Ls around these boards and I'm sure we'd all be more than willing to help!


Thanks!!! I'll prob be PMing you a ton of questions, but the 1200-1400 budget is for 2 people.. and we want a house. Is there much residential space up there? We really need a yard for the yunksters (see photo pg. 9 haha) :D
Oh and that does not include utils. Prob up to 1500-1600 with utils.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby blurbz » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:42 pm

Barbie wrote:
Thanks!!! I'll prob be PMing you a ton of questions, but the 1200-1400 budget is for 2 people.. and we want a house. Is there much residential space up there? We really need a yard for the yunksters (see photo pg. 9 haha) :D
Oh and that does not include utils. Prob up to 1500-1600 with utils.



No worries. I'm happy to answer any questions--and not just limited to housing.

I know a few people here who are renting houses and a few who have purchased. There are a ton of residential neighborhoods around campus. It's worth doing some research so you don't spend too much time looking in the undergrad slums, but there are some comfortable, quiet grad-school/young professional neighborhoods within 2 miles of the law building. I'm actually looking at purchasing (probably a condo) for next year, so I've been in contact with some real estate agents around here, too.

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:53 pm

Does anyone know if Illinois offers travel stipends for the ASW?

EDIT: I searched the thread from last year and apparently they don't offer stipends. hmmm need to see if I can save up money now to visit!

pinkzebra
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:47 am

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby pinkzebra » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:25 pm

So I'm under review and will be receiving a decision next Friday... Didn't write a Why Illinois but I'm thinking I should... If I do, do I just send an email to the admissions office saying here's an attachment to my application? Or do you guys think I just shouldn't bother at this point?

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby Lwoods » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:38 pm

Magnifique1908 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
Magnifique1908 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
!!! :D
So happy for you!! See? You are a special snowflake.

Meet up at the ASW?


Can I join? :lol:


Yes! Haha, we should coordinate dates...


We should! I'm partial to the March 5th weekend....but April may work.


I only see February 25th and April 1. Leaning toward Feb as April gets to be decision time... Also, when I checked flights they were only $200 rt! :)

User avatar
Magnifique1908
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:46 am

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby Magnifique1908 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:49 pm

Lwoods wrote:I only see February 25th and April 1. Leaning toward Feb as April gets to be decision time... Also, when I checked flights they were only $200 rt! :)


I was going to ask Dean Pless about that. My email said March but the website says Feb.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby Barbie » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:50 pm

Magnifique1908 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:I only see February 25th and April 1. Leaning toward Feb as April gets to be decision time... Also, when I checked flights they were only $200 rt! :)


I was going to ask Dean Pless about that. My email said March but the website says Feb.


Mine says March 5th or April 9th

User avatar
Magnifique1908
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:46 am

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby Magnifique1908 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:52 pm

Barbie wrote:
Magnifique1908 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:I only see February 25th and April 1. Leaning toward Feb as April gets to be decision time... Also, when I checked flights they were only $200 rt! :)


I was going to ask Dean Pless about that. My email said March but the website says Feb.


Mine says March 5th or April 9th


Yeah and the powerpoint slide on website says Feb. 25th.

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby Lwoods » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Barbie wrote:
Magnifique1908 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:I only see February 25th and April 1. Leaning toward Feb as April gets to be decision time... Also, when I checked flights they were only $200 rt! :)


I was going to ask Dean Pless about that. My email said March but the website says Feb.


Mine says March 5th or April 9th


If we have different ASWs, I'm crashing yours! ;)


ETA: I'm a nerd :D

User avatar
Magnifique1908
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:46 am

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby Magnifique1908 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:02 pm

Lwoods wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Magnifique1908 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:I only see February 25th and April 1. Leaning toward Feb as April gets to be decision time... Also, when I checked flights they were only $200 rt! :)


I was going to ask Dean Pless about that. My email said March but the website says Feb.


Mine says March 5th or April 9th


If we have different ASWs, I'm crashing yours! ;)


He just posted the dates are wrong. February 25th it is!

User avatar
theavrock
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby theavrock » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:43 pm

Congrats to all the new admits!

Very jealous as I got WL'ed last week and WL'ed at Notre Dame today. The midwest isn't showing much love yet.

If any of those new admits without stats in their profiles would be willing to share their numbers via PM, I'd love to know!

Congrats again.

User avatar
masochist
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby masochist » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:27 pm

On-deck Circle

In the interest of continuing to avoid work, I compiled a list of people who will be obsessively checking their email along with me next Friday. Quote and add your name if you are also under review. Neuroses love company. Good luck everyone, and sorry if I missed someone.

masochist
Bildungsroman
mez06
pinkzebra
chrisbru
SortOfObsessed

pinkzebra
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:47 am

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby pinkzebra » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:47 pm

masochist wrote:On-deck Circle

In the interest of continuing to avoid work, I compiled a list of people who will be obsessively checking their email along with me next Friday. Quote and add your name if you are also under review. Neuroses love company. Good luck everyone, and sorry if I missed someone.

masochist
Bildungsroman
mez06
pinkzebra
chrisbru
SortOfObsessed

Yes that's me!!! Yay for us!!!

SortOfObsessed
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby SortOfObsessed » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:50 pm

masochist wrote:On-deck Circle

In the interest of continuing to avoid work, I compiled a list of people who will be obsessively checking their email along with me next Friday. Quote and add your name if you are also under review. Neuroses love company. Good luck everyone, and sorry if I missed someone.

masochist
Bildungsroman
mez06
pinkzebra
chrisbru
SortOfObsessed


haha I kind of love this. I've been afraid to comment for fear of adding to everyone else's stress levels but I've been obsessively checking my email all month. Doesn't help that I have a fairly lax finals schedule and am graduating this week.

thank god Illinois at least gives you a set decision date. :)

User avatar
masochist
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby masochist » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:01 pm

SortOfObsessed wrote:
haha I kind of love this. I've been afraid to comment for fear of adding to everyone else's stress levels but I've been obsessively checking my email all month. Doesn't help that I have a fairly lax finals schedule and am graduating this week.

thank god Illinois at least gives you a set decision date. :)


No kidding. It is nice to have a date upon which I can focus my anxious energy.

User avatar
softsgalore
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:18 am

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby softsgalore » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:03 pm

Ooh, ooh, I'm under review now, too. Obsessive checking will be the name of my Friday!

Jen Loblaw
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby Jen Loblaw » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:00 pm

masochist wrote:On-deck Circle

In the interest of continuing to avoid work, I compiled a list of people who will be obsessively checking their email along with me next Friday. Quote and add your name if you are also under review. Neuroses love company. Good luck everyone, and sorry if I missed someone.

masochist
Bildungsroman
mez06
pinkzebra
chrisbru
SortOfObsessed
Jen Loblaw


ooo add me!

User avatar
kalede
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:59 am

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby kalede » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:12 pm

just went UR today! Fingers crossed. :)

User avatar
risktaker
Posts: 687
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:10 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby risktaker » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:19 pm

Add me. I am a long shot for this. In review as of today. Sub 160 LSAT, but non-traditional applicant.

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby trudat15 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:40 am

Has Illinois in the past practiced much YP?

User avatar
ChattelCat
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby ChattelCat » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:40 am

Congrats new admits! If anyone has any questions there are quite a few current 3L's and 2L's, and I think some 1L's too, over on the Illinois "discuss your law school" thread

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60995

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby Hannibal » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:02 am

trudat15 wrote:Has Illinois in the past practiced much YP?


Nope. I think YP is only useful if you don't have the fantastic scholarships UIUC has :D

User avatar
anthropologieaddict
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby anthropologieaddict » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:58 am

pinkzebra wrote:So I'm under review and will be receiving a decision next Friday... Didn't write a Why Illinois but I'm thinking I should... If I do, do I just send an email to the admissions office saying here's an attachment to my application? Or do you guys think I just shouldn't bother at this point?


I would add one! Couldn't hurt! Yes I believe you can just email one as an attachment to admissions.
Love your tar by the way, cute :D

User avatar
DieAntwoord
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby DieAntwoord » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:44 am

im in this boat!! GL everyone




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”