Illinois 2011 applicants!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mcubberly

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby mcubberly » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:27 am

CrimLaw300 wrote:
DreamsInDigital wrote:
mcubberly wrote:Has everyone liked the ASDs? I'm having a last-minute "I want to go to Illinois" thought, and I'm seriously considering going there. Yikes, only 10 days to decide.

great avatar.

I went to the ASD and I loved it. I got the feeling everyone I came in contact with (administrators, professors, alum, current students) seemed genuine, honest, and as if they truly cared about incoming students succeeding. Even though I was initially not leaning towards Illinois, it is now currently at the top of my list.

Here are the reasons that are holding me back right now (but at the end of the day I don't think either of these will be enough to keep me from Illinois).

- The location isn't exactly my cup of tea. CU itself is a little small but not awful; still seem to be plenty of stuff you can do on your off time. The two hour drive from Chicago on the other hand is nothing but fields with a random house every few miles. I can only imagine how brutal that desolation will be with tons of snow on the ground.

- I want to work in California and going to school in the midwest doesn't give me the best chances. I think UIUC is aware of how much their regionality comes into play when people make decisions and it seems like they are addressing this. The new career services staff they have been bringing in really seem to know what they are doing and are making a huge effort to break into different markets.

As I said, the more I think about it and weigh my options, the more UIUC seems to make sense to me. Maybe i'll see you there this fall.

(feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions or just want a more detailed breakdown of my experience at the ASW)

+1. Couldn't have put this better myself, only difference is that my target market is TX.

Thanks guys! Wow, quick/detailed responses. I'll PM you tomorrow. I am extremely impressed with what UIUC is doing right now. I can't believe they're shooting for a class of 180. I wish I'd gotten the chance to visit. It sounds like a great place. Has anyone posted campus pictures?

Chambana is why I'm worried about U of I as well. The cornfields aren't super alluring, and while I would probably like to stay in the Midwest, it seems like it'll be difficult to get around without a car. After living in Columbus/New Orleans, it's hard to imagine going back to central Illinois to live. But again, it sounds like a great school. Aahhh decisions.

LaLeyDelMonte

Postby LaLeyDelMonte » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:13 am

mcubberly wrote:
CrimLaw300 wrote:
DreamsInDigital wrote:
mcubberly wrote:Has everyone liked the ASDs? I'm having a last-minute "I want to go to Illinois" thought, and I'm seriously considering going there. Yikes, only 10 days to decide.

great avatar.

I went to the ASD and I loved it. I got the feeling everyone I came in contact with (administrators, professors, alum, current students) seemed genuine, honest, and as if they truly cared about incoming students succeeding. Even though I was initially not leaning towards Illinois, it is now currently at the top of my list.

Here are the reasons that are holding me back right now (but at the end of the day I don't think either of these will be enough to keep me from Illinois).

- The location isn't exactly my cup of tea. CU itself is a little small but not awful; still seem to be plenty of stuff you can do on your off time. The two hour drive from Chicago on the other hand is nothing but fields with a random house every few miles. I can only imagine how brutal that desolation will be with tons of snow on the ground.

- I want to work in California and going to school in the midwest doesn't give me the best chances. I think UIUC is aware of how much their regionality comes into play when people make decisions and it seems like they are addressing this. The new career services staff they have been bringing in really seem to know what they are doing and are making a huge effort to break into different markets.

As I said, the more I think about it and weigh my options, the more UIUC seems to make sense to me. Maybe i'll see you there this fall.

(feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions or just want a more detailed breakdown of my experience at the ASW)

+1. Couldn't have put this better myself, only difference is that my target market is TX.

Thanks guys! Wow, quick/detailed responses. I'll PM you tomorrow. I am extremely impressed with what UIUC is doing right now. I can't believe they're shooting for a class of 180. I wish I'd gotten the chance to visit. It sounds like a great place. Has anyone posted campus pictures?

Chambana is why I'm worried about U of I as well. The cornfields aren't super alluring, and while I would probably like to stay in the Midwest, it seems like it'll be difficult to get around without a car. After living in Columbus/New Orleans, it's hard to imagine going back to central Illinois to live. But again, it sounds like a great school. Aahhh decisions.

I think Barbie posted some photos a couple of months back.

I've lived in Chicago my whole life, the idea of living in the middle of nowhere REALLY scared me until I visited. I think the town fits the description of "microurban" quite well. Everything (including Target(!!!), Macy's, movie theaters, grocery stores) is within a 10 minute car ride. I've also heard that their bus system is reliable and goes by all of the main shopping areas. Campus is very pedestrian/bicycle friendly. I walked across campus in about 20 minutes.

I'll probably be getting a car for school, not because I think I'd need it to get around down there, but because my S.O. of six years is staying in Chicago to work and I'd like to be able to visit him at least 2-3 times a month without having to rely on Amtrak/Megabus/whatever.

illini22

Postby illini22 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:02 pm

mcubberly wrote:
bball25 wrote:I did. Where else are you considering? I looked at you profile and I'm assuming WUSTL.

I got 20k from WUSTL, but instate at U of I or matching instate based on circumstances (long story) makes 25k from IL + instate pretty awesome. I've ruled out everywhere but Illinois and Ohio State. I was pretty settled on Ohio State, but I've been frustrated with lack of negotiation and U of I is doing so much stuff right now to really help students. I love Columbus, but Champaign-Urbana is a little scary to me. I've been around central-east Illinois, and damn, there is not much there (relatives). I've heard C-U is an awesome college town though. I also probably won't have a car, so I'm worried about groceries/getting around.

1L: MANY of us dont have a car. We come from cities such as Chicago, New York, SF, where we never needed one. It is not optimal, but the bus system even takes you inside of Walmart (if you dont live on campus), and if you live on campus, there are many places walking distance. Besides, we are always in one building, and most law students go out in groups (10+) so you will likely always have a ride. but believe me, you will be living in the law school building. In the alternative, you can just take the bus, which is extremely reliable. comes every 10/15 minutes depending the direction.

+ the bus is free

samfii

Postby samfii » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:20 pm

illini22 wrote:
mcubberly wrote:
bball25 wrote:I did. Where else are you considering? I looked at you profile and I'm assuming WUSTL.

I got 20k from WUSTL, but instate at U of I or matching instate based on circumstances (long story) makes 25k from IL + instate pretty awesome. I've ruled out everywhere but Illinois and Ohio State. I was pretty settled on Ohio State, but I've been frustrated with lack of negotiation and U of I is doing so much stuff right now to really help students. I love Columbus, but Champaign-Urbana is a little scary to me. I've been around central-east Illinois, and damn, there is not much there (relatives). I've heard C-U is an awesome college town though. I also probably won't have a car, so I'm worried about groceries/getting around.

1L: MANY of us dont have a car. We come from cities such as Chicago, New York, SF, where we never needed one. It is not optimal, but the bus system even takes you inside of Walmart (if you dont live on campus), and if you live on campus, there are many places walking distance. Besides, we are always in one building, and most law students go out in groups (10+) so you will likely always have a ride. but believe me, you will be living in the law school building. In the alternative, you can just take the bus, which is extremely reliable. comes every 10/15 minutes depending the direction.

+ the bus is free

what apartments does the bus stop at? I know it stops at the village but do you know of any other places?

mcubberly

Postby mcubberly » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:17 pm

illini22 wrote:
mcubberly wrote:

+ the bus is free

Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to hear! I hadn't heard too much from people without cars.

ChattelCat

Postby ChattelCat » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:05 pm

samfii wrote:
illini22 wrote:
mcubberly wrote:

+ the bus is free

what apartments does the bus stop at? I know it stops at the village but do you know of any other places?

The bus goes pretty much everywhere. Your best bet is to cross-check the website with any location you're thinking of living http://www.cumtd.com, but unless you're way on the outskirts of town, you will be near a bus. The bus that most people take from the Village is actually a private shuttle bus run by the apt complex, not the CUMTD

samfii

Postby samfii » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:35 am

ChattelCat wrote:The bus goes pretty much everywhere. Your best bet is to cross-check the website with any location you're thinking of living http://www.cumtd.com, but unless you're way on the outskirts of town, you will be near a bus. The bus that most people take from the Village is actually a private shuttle bus run by the apt complex, not the CUMTD

oh wow I definitely didn't make the distinction. Do you know from firsthand or secondhand experience which one of those shuttles are more reliable? I'm pretty much at a blank slate right now as far as housing options so I'm trying to narrow down my options as much as possible, since I won't have a car and want to make sure I won't be stranded anywhere and will be able to get groceries as well as be pretty mobile from where I live

ChattelCat

Postby ChattelCat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:38 am

samfii wrote:
ChattelCat wrote:The bus goes pretty much everywhere. Your best bet is to cross-check the website with any location you're thinking of living http://www.cumtd.com, but unless you're way on the outskirts of town, you will be near a bus. The bus that most people take from the Village is actually a private shuttle bus run by the apt complex, not the CUMTD

oh wow I definitely didn't make the distinction. Do you know from firsthand or secondhand experience which one of those shuttles are more reliable? I'm pretty much at a blank slate right now as far as housing options so I'm trying to narrow down my options as much as possible, since I won't have a car and want to make sure I won't be stranded anywhere and will be able to get groceries as well as be pretty mobile from where I live

The Champaign-Urbana bus system is super reliable. It's not the fastest way to go long distances (e.g. all the way across town), but from most places close to campus there will be some sort of grocery store or giant box store 10 minutes away, so for shopping trips etc. you'll be fine. It can also get you anywhere you need to do. The only "shuttles" I know of go from The Village (not a particularly highly recommended apt complex even though lots of law students live there - lots of comments about it on the student thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60995) and The Pointe in Urbana also has a shuttle, but I'm not sure if that one goes directly to the law school or not. Sorry, don't have personal experience with either one - I prefer my car :)

Oh, and what someone said above is completely true. There will always be someone who's going your direction willing to give a ride home. Worst case scenario, there are lots of cab companies - you'll never be stranded!

illini22

Postby illini22 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:04 am

samfii wrote:

I take the shuttle every day, is 95% reliable, but that 5% can be a pain in the ass.... if it breaks down they let you know right away. In the village you pay for what you get. The apts are very spacious, everything is new, but we are in the middle of nowhere. On the plus side, about 20% of the 1L class lives here... so you can always find rides with ppl who have cars to go places.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:06 am

I visited Illinois this past week for the first time and loved the school, so if anyone wants a review of my experience and my opinion of the school/town, then I can write one up and either PM you or post it here. Just let me know.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:38 pm

Officially withdrew yesterday, was tough decision. Hope you all the best!

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon May 02, 2011 6:24 pm

Withdrew today hope that my spot and my scholly goes to some deserving people.

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:18 pm

I just got in off the waitlist. I'm so surprised. I didn't expect it at all, so I signed a lease in State College, PA and made plans to attend Penn State. Obviously I feel like a complete idiot now and have no idea what to do. I was feeling pressure to secure housing since it fills up so fast at PSU. I certainly have a difficult decision to make. Would anyone care to offer any suggestions? I got 25k at PSU and 10k at Illinois.

ktg808

Postby ktg808 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:45 pm

FlanAl wrote:Withdrew today hope that my spot and my scholly goes to some deserving people.

+1

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:12 am

Just got in today. I visited the area and like Savoy and am looking to request law students for roomies in the Indigo apartment complex for the 3 bdrm. layout. PM me if you're interested in requesting each other as roomies. I'm 22, female, clean, studious, but fun!

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:45 pm

Is it possible to gain residency after the first year in Illinois?

wdk3618

Postby wdk3618 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:57 pm

jayman6 wrote:Is it possible to gain residency after the first year in Illinois?

yes it is possible but i am under the impression it is very difficult

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Tue May 03, 2011 10:21 pm

jayman6 wrote:Is it possible to gain residency after the first year in Illinois?

You essentially have to marry an Illinois resident or buy property in Illinois. Just registering your car, getting an new licence etc. are not enough unfortunately.

purplebulldogs

Postby purplebulldogs » Wed May 04, 2011 3:22 pm

anthropologieaddict wrote:

You essentially have to marry an Illinois resident or buy property in Illinois. Just registering your car, getting an new licence etc. are not enough unfortunately.

hmm... current difference between resident and non-resident tuition: $7,000/year

overall savings (estimate) = $7,000 x 3 = $21,000

how much does it cost to elope?

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Wed May 04, 2011 5:13 pm

purplebulldogs wrote:
anthropologieaddict wrote:

hmm... current difference between resident and non-resident tuition: $7,000/year

overall savings (estimate) = $7,000 x 3 = $21,000

how much does it cost to elope?

+1 haha I have considered the same thing...

illini22

Postby illini22 » Wed May 11, 2011 7:56 pm

If you are going to sign a lease at ANY of this places, make sure you use the WE discount, most of us did it, it takes 1 minute and it actually works. Some kind of promotion because these places are fairly knew.

UIUC
Indigo Place (15~18% off)
One South (12% off)
One North (12% off)
Town and Country (10% off)
Village at Colbert Park (18% off)

--LinkRemoved--

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:17 pm

illini22 wrote:If you are going to sign a lease at ANY of this places, make sure you use the WE discount, most of us did it, it takes 1 minute and it actually works. Some kind of promotion because these places are fairly knew.

UIUC
Indigo Place (15~18% off)
One South (12% off)
One North (12% off)
Town and Country (10% off)
Village at Colbert Park (18% off)

--LinkRemoved--

Thanks, you're awesome!

mez06

Postby mez06 » Fri May 13, 2011 7:23 pm

zla2014 wrote:Just got in today. I visited the area and like Savoy and am looking to request law students for roomies in the Indigo apartment complex for the 3 bdrm. layout. PM me if you're interested in requesting each other as roomies. I'm 22, female, clean, studious, but fun!

I'm curious, did you send in any secondary material and make phone calls to the admissions office? Or did you simply get plucked from the WL pool based upon your stats and overall packet?

bigben5289

Postby bigben5289 » Fri May 13, 2011 11:52 pm

Hey guys

I am looking for 2 male roommates to live with me in a 3/3 at the Village.

Let me know.

My email is bigben5289@gmail.com

Hippononymous

Postby Hippononymous » Sat May 14, 2011 12:45 pm

I did undergrad at Illinois and I would say that if you have a car, you should definitely bring it. The buses are great; most routes run every 30 minutes, except campus routes which run every 10-15 minutes, but the town is spread out enough that having a car makes everything easier. Parking isn't much of an issue. The meters on campus are 75 cents an hour, but you can get a parking pass for lot E-14 (the basketball stadium lot) for really cheap. They have passes for overnight parking, which get pricey, but grab a shuttle pass and it's like $150 for the year. There's a bus that runs from E-14 through campus every 15 minutes, or the lot is about a 5-7 minute walk from the law building.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”