Illinois 2011 applicants!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pereira6

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby pereira6 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:09 pm

Who's going this weekend? Who's going to be there tonight? I'm flying in around 9:30 PM.

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:58 pm

I flew into chicago this afternoon. Now I'm driving down to champaign

mez06

Postby mez06 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:01 am

Anyone actually trying to GO OUT Friday night? The 7pm function is cool, but need to get a full bang for my buck and actually party a bit. Anyone down....? 8)

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:53 am

Just withdrew my application this morning. I hope my seat and scholly goes to one of you who is still waiting or has been waitlisted!

wdk3618

Postby wdk3618 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:26 pm

anybody who was there want to comment on how the ASD went?

CrimLaw300

Postby CrimLaw300 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:25 pm

wdk3618 wrote:anybody who was there want to comment on how the ASD went?

Thoroughly impressed. Dean Smith was awesome and the career services presentation was convincing and sincere as well. I didn't think I was going to UIUC, but after this weekend I'm decided.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:16 pm

CrimLaw300 wrote:

Thoroughly impressed. Dean Smith was awesome and the career services presentation was convincing and sincere as well. I didn't think I was going to UIUC, but after this weekend I'm decided.

Were you (or anyone else) at Guido's? I may have seen some of you and not realized it.

mez06

Postby mez06 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:09 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
CrimLaw300 wrote:

Were you (or anyone else) at Guido's? I may have seen some of you and not realized it.

I was at Guido's for a very long time 8) African-American guy in the black sweater during the day of the ASD and blue shirt/tan jacket at Guido's. The ASD was great. As someone else statet, the faculty was simply impressive. Their candor and frankness around certain things was a bit refreshing. I've been to other ASD's and I'd say that UIUC "wines and dines" you thoroughly compared to others. And the crazy thing about it is, it felt sincere. Professors were willing and bursting to speak with you. It was clear that the law school as a whole, is very communal.

And obviously the state of the economy is making the legal field more of a "crap shoot" in some senses. I was thoroughly impressed with the strategic actions that the College of Law is making. The fact that they hired away a partner of Winston & Strawn in Chicago to work for the law school is fantastic. They essentially created a position to leverage his ties and industry experience to not only groom the students in a practical way that firms now prefer but also being a de facto "salesman" by meeting with firm partners in multiple cities to get students in the door. You'd think that the majority of school's career services would be making such similar adaptions but clearly, many haven't. Dean Smith is extremely intelligent. Whether it was your 1st or 5th choice coming in, I don't think anyone walked away without being impressed with some of the strategic moves of the school in terms of the admissions process, the strengthening of the Illinois brand, and generating more job opportunities for students.

All the student's (both in the law school and attending the ASD) all seemed to be intelligent with a level of normalcy. All positives in my eyes. Met some good people; great rather. Dean Pless is a good guy in person too. His TLS badge/persona of coolness breathes on lol

Feel free to PM me if you have any crazy/blunt questions. Oh, and UC isn't too bad of a place either.

CrimLaw300

Postby CrimLaw300 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:02 am

NancyBotwin wrote:
CrimLaw300 wrote:

No I was already flying home. How was it?

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:16 pm

Do NOT rent from Green Street. That is all. OMFG. :x

ofthehouse

Postby ofthehouse » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:17 pm

has anyone that is still 'under review' received any notification today?

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:37 pm

ofthehouse wrote:has anyone that is still 'under review' received any notification today?

You won't hear until Friday...Good luck!

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:08 pm

blurbz wrote:
ofthehouse wrote:has anyone that is still 'under review' received any notification today?

You won't hear until Friday...Good luck!

this

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:40 pm

Is there anyone else from Texas who is considering attending or has decided to attend Illinois with the intentions of coming back to Texas to practice? If so, could you please pm me? I have concerns about Illinois' reach in TX and I'd like to talk to someone who is in a similar situation.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:24 pm

Just withdrew from Illinois. Good luck to all of you! :D

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:10 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Is there anyone else from Texas who is considering attending or has decided to attend Illinois with the intentions of coming back to Texas to practice? If so, could you please pm me? I have concerns about Illinois' reach in TX and I'd like to talk to someone who is in a similar situation.

I am or was at least. I think I settled on attending SMU. I had a lot of the same concerns.

masochist

Postby masochist » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:27 pm

Withdrew today, unfortunately. I loved Illinois, but I just couldn't say "no" to Duke.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:33 pm

Just withdrew and released some scholarship $$$. Good luck to the rest of you!

bball25

Postby bball25 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:30 pm

What do schools do with this extra scholarship money? Is it used as a part of a yearly budget where they will give it to someone else or will they just save it till next year?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:33 pm

bball25 wrote:What do schools do with this extra scholarship money? Is it used as a part of a yearly budget where they will give it to someone else or will they just save it till next year?

I know that at least at some schools, they give out much more $$ in offers than they have, knowing a lot won't enroll.

mcubberly

Postby mcubberly » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:12 pm

Has everyone liked the ASDs? I'm having a last-minute "I want to go to Illinois" thought, and I'm seriously considering going there. Yikes, only 10 days to decide.

bball25

Postby bball25 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:45 pm

I did. Where else are you considering? I looked at you profile and I'm assuming WUSTL.

mcubberly

Postby mcubberly » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:21 pm

bball25 wrote:I did. Where else are you considering? I looked at you profile and I'm assuming WUSTL.

I got 20k from WUSTL, but instate at U of I or matching instate based on circumstances (long story) makes 25k from IL + instate pretty awesome. I've ruled out everywhere but Illinois and Ohio State. I was pretty settled on Ohio State, but I've been frustrated with lack of negotiation and U of I is doing so much stuff right now to really help students. I love Columbus, but Champaign-Urbana is a little scary to me. I've been around central-east Illinois, and damn, there is not much there (relatives). I've heard C-U is an awesome college town though. I also probably won't have a car, so I'm worried about groceries/getting around.

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:56 pm

mcubberly wrote:Has everyone liked the ASDs? I'm having a last-minute "I want to go to Illinois" thought, and I'm seriously considering going there. Yikes, only 10 days to decide.

great avatar.

I went to the ASD and I loved it. I got the feeling everyone I came in contact with (administrators, professors, alum, current students) seemed genuine, honest, and as if they truly cared about incoming students succeeding. Even though I was initially not leaning towards Illinois, it is now currently at the top of my list.

Here are the reasons that are holding me back right now (but at the end of the day I don't think either of these will be enough to keep me from Illinois).

- The location isn't exactly my cup of tea. CU itself is a little small but not awful; still seem to be plenty of stuff you can do on your off time. The two hour drive from Chicago on the other hand is nothing but fields with a random house every few miles. I can only imagine how brutal that desolation will be with tons of snow on the ground.

- I want to work in California and going to school in the midwest doesn't give me the best chances. I think UIUC is aware of how much their regionality comes into play when people make decisions and it seems like they are addressing this. The new career services staff they have been bringing in really seem to know what they are doing and are making a huge effort to break into different markets.

As I said, the more I think about it and weigh my options, the more UIUC seems to make sense to me. Maybe i'll see you there this fall.

(feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions or just want a more detailed breakdown of my experience at the ASW)

CrimLaw300

Postby CrimLaw300 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:26 pm

DreamsInDigital wrote:
mcubberly wrote:Has everyone liked the ASDs? I'm having a last-minute "I want to go to Illinois" thought, and I'm seriously considering going there. Yikes, only 10 days to decide.

great avatar.

I went to the ASD and I loved it. I got the feeling everyone I came in contact with (administrators, professors, alum, current students) seemed genuine, honest, and as if they truly cared about incoming students succeeding. Even though I was initially not leaning towards Illinois, it is now currently at the top of my list.

Here are the reasons that are holding me back right now (but at the end of the day I don't think either of these will be enough to keep me from Illinois).

- The location isn't exactly my cup of tea. CU itself is a little small but not awful; still seem to be plenty of stuff you can do on your off time. The two hour drive from Chicago on the other hand is nothing but fields with a random house every few miles. I can only imagine how brutal that desolation will be with tons of snow on the ground.

- I want to work in California and going to school in the midwest doesn't give me the best chances. I think UIUC is aware of how much their regionality comes into play when people make decisions and it seems like they are addressing this. The new career services staff they have been bringing in really seem to know what they are doing and are making a huge effort to break into different markets.

As I said, the more I think about it and weigh my options, the more UIUC seems to make sense to me. Maybe i'll see you there this fall.

(feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions or just want a more detailed breakdown of my experience at the ASW)

+1. Couldn't have put this better myself, only difference is that my target market is TX.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”