Illinois 2011 applicants!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Perplexed Penguin

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby Perplexed Penguin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:50 pm

krad wrote:
Perplexed Penguin wrote:accepted 25k a year!

I think I will be deciding between this is Wash U. Unfortunately I am traveling 1500 miles to visit so I can only go to one of the schools accepted students days. Has anyone gone to both? Any recommendations on which one to attend and which one to just visit?

Congrats!

FWIW I'm 'just visiting' both of those schools. Next Friday I have a meeting with Pless, a tour, a class to attend, and I'm trying to meet up with some current students. If you can make an ASW I think it'd be great, but even by just visiting I think you'll probably get a great idea of what's what :)

Thanks. I am going to send Dean Pless an email on Monday to see if I can arrange something similar.

I am sure this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but is is possible to get instate tuition after 1L?

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:03 pm

Perplexed Penguin wrote:
krad wrote:

I think I will be deciding between this is Wash U. Unfortunately I am traveling 1500 miles to visit so I can only go to one of the schools accepted students days. Has anyone gone to both? Any recommendations on which one to attend and which one to just visit?

Congrats!

FWIW I'm 'just visiting' both of those schools. Next Friday I have a meeting with Pless, a tour, a class to attend, and I'm trying to meet up with some current students. If you can make an ASW I think it'd be great, but even by just visiting I think you'll probably get a great idea of what's what :)

Thanks. I am going to send Dean Pless an email on Monday to see if I can arrange something similar.

I am sure this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but is is possible to get instate tuition after 1L?

Nearly impossible. Basically you have to marry an Illinois resident.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:59 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Nearly impossible. Basically you have to marry an Illinois resident.

Any in-states looking to marry a future law stude...dammit

planQ

Postby planQ » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:29 am

+1 today via email

mez06

Postby mez06 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:39 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Congrats to the new admits.

+1 I'm excited for the April ASD 8)

illini22

Postby illini22 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:09 am

Current 1L here. I lived in this forum last year so wanted to share a few things on Illinois.

First, if you have time, read the student blogs:

--LinkRemoved--

I got accepted to many schools, many better ranked than Illinois, others similarly ranked with more money, I came here, and I do not regret it.

The one thing I can tell you (you probably already know this) is that Illinois is by far the most transparent school I know. A lot of the employment data out there for many schools is not reliable AT ALL. People said it many times but I never realized how important it really is, but LOCATION is key. If you want Chicago, unless you get into a top 10 school, U of I is likely your best choice. Half the people I know here where at the end deciding between here and Wash U. Unless you want St. Louis, or Wash U gave you more money or money is not really an issue, there isnt really a reason why to chose Wash U over Illinois.

I remember I always wanted to know about employment prospects. Well, it is very mix, people are still hearing back, but there is no clear line as to why some people get really good offers and some did not. I know people deep into the top 10% with nothing, others medium grades and 3+ offers. It really depends mostly on your job searching skills. What I can say is that career services is just freaking amazing, they know you by name, know what you want, and really do most of the work for you.

If you have any specific questions about choosing between two schools (I probably got into both of the schools you choosing from), send me a PM.

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:00 pm

I am sure that almost everyone has read this already. But I just came across it and found it very interesting. For some reason, it really piqued my interest in the school. Also, not that I have been really searching for it but this is the first time I have seen a dean acknowledge that YP really exists (although he says that he when he took over they stopped practicing it )

--LinkRemoved--

krad

Postby krad » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:01 pm

Illini22 thanks for sharing that blog! I'll probably PM ya tomorrow (if you don't mind) because I'm flying in to visit campus this next Fri/Sat and am tryin to find some current students to meet up with... :)

bball25

Postby bball25 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:51 pm

BrightLine wrote:I am sure that almost everyone has read this already. But I just came across it and found it very interesting. For some reason, it really piqued my interest in the school. Also, not that I have been really searching for it but this is the first time I have seen a dean acknowledge that YP really exists (although he says that he when he took over they stopped practicing it )

--LinkRemoved--

Im assuming the 100k firm job percentages in this article are MUCH lower now. Would I be right in this assumption?

RTFM

Postby RTFM » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:55 pm

bball25 wrote:
BrightLine wrote:I am sure that almost everyone has read this already. But I just came across it and found it very interesting. For some reason, it really piqued my interest in the school. Also, not that I have been really searching for it but this is the first time I have seen a dean acknowledge that YP really exists (although he says that he when he took over they stopped practicing it )

--LinkRemoved--

Im assuming the 100k firm job percentages in this article are MUCH lower now. Would I be right in this assumption?

Edit: I misread what you were asking.

57% of students in the last three graduating classes went into private practice, and the average salary of those who went into private practice was $114,000, according to Dean Pless.

Perplexed Penguin

Postby Perplexed Penguin » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:02 pm

I have decided to attend the April ASD. Does anyone know where I can find a schedule for the day? I searched on their website but couldn't seem to find it.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:04 pm

*Patiently waits for anthropologie to make UIUC Class of 2014 thread*

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:14 pm

Hannibal wrote:*Patiently waits for anthropologie to make UIUC Class of 2014 thread*

:D how's this for speedy service?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=149482

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:16 pm

Perplexed Penguin wrote:I have decided to attend the April ASD. Does anyone know where I can find a schedule for the day? I searched on their website but couldn't seem to find it.

They'll email you a schedule, but it will probably be similar to the one for the Feb ASD:

https://mail-attachment.googleuserconte ... Q&sadssc=1

super6

Postby super6 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:42 am

Has anyone tried to negotiate a better scholarship yet? They gave me the $90k, which is nice, but the $120k some people were offered would make it much harder for me to pass up UIUC for a better ranked school

illini22

Postby illini22 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:21 pm

krad wrote:Illini22 thanks for sharing that blog! I'll probably PM ya tomorrow (if you don't mind) because I'm flying in to visit campus this next Fri/Sat and am tryin to find some current students to meet up with... :)

No problem man, there are actually a few Law parties going on those days, perhaps you can come by so you can meet more law students in their natural habitat. Let me know

krad

Postby krad » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:40 am

W00t headed out this evening to Champaign! I'll create a visit thread when I get back and post a link here.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:09 am

krad wrote:W00t headed out this evening to Champaign! I'll create a visit thread when I get back and post a link here.

have fun!

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:35 pm

just withdrew from the wait list. Good luck everyone!

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:30 am

krad wrote:W00t headed out this evening to Champaign! I'll create a visit thread when I get back and post a link here.

Can't wait to hear how this goes!!

pinkzebra

Postby pinkzebra » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:44 pm

I didn't end up making it to the ASD because of the weather so I'm visiting Monday :D Can't wait!

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:51 am

Gotti wrote:just withdrew from the wait list. Good luck everyone!

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:10 pm

"We understand that cost is a huge factor in determining the best institution for you to attend for your legal education. Knowing exactly what your legal education will cost is critical in your decision making process. With tuition increases at law schools ranging from 3% to over 10% annually it is often difficult to accurately determine what your total investment will be. At Illinois we want to take that uncertainty out of the equation.

The Illinois Guarantee program provides you with the assurance that any tuition increases that occur in your second or third year of law school will be matched, dollar for dollar, with an increase to your scholarship.
As you already know, scholarships at Illinois are guaranteed for all three years of attendance, no strings attached. Now we are adding absolute certainty to the cost of your legal education. We hope that this program will make it easier for you to determine the best choice for your legal education.
I hope to see you here at Illinois this fall. As always, if you have any questions about this new program or about any other aspect of an Illinois legal education, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Sincerely,
Paul"

Perplexed Penguin

Postby Perplexed Penguin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:17 pm

kk19131 wrote:"We understand that cost is a huge factor in determining the best institution for you to attend for your legal education. Knowing exactly what your legal education will cost is critical in your decision making process. With tuition increases at law schools ranging from 3% to over 10% annually it is often difficult to accurately determine what your total investment will be. At Illinois we want to take that uncertainty out of the equation.

The Illinois Guarantee program provides you with the assurance that any tuition increases that occur in your second or third year of law school will be matched, dollar for dollar, with an increase to your scholarship.
As you already know, scholarships at Illinois are guaranteed for all three years of attendance, no strings attached. Now we are adding absolute certainty to the cost of your legal education. We hope that this program will make it easier for you to determine the best choice for your legal education.
I hope to see you here at Illinois this fall. As always, if you have any questions about this new program or about any other aspect of an Illinois legal education, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Sincerely,
Paul"

I am still waiting to hear back from WUSTL about my request for a scholarship increase, but this guarantee pretty much made my decision to attend Illinois in the fall.

LaLeyDelMonte

Postby LaLeyDelMonte » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:20 pm

Perplexed Penguin wrote:
kk19131 wrote:"We understand that cost is a huge factor in determining the best institution for you to attend for your legal education. Knowing exactly what your legal education will cost is critical in your decision making process. With tuition increases at law schools ranging from 3% to over 10% annually it is often difficult to accurately determine what your total investment will be. At Illinois we want to take that uncertainty out of the equation.

Sincerely,
Paul"

I am still waiting to hear back from WUSTL about my request for a scholarship increase, but this guarantee pretty much made my decision to attend Illinois in the fall.

+1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”