Illinois 2011 applicants!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Prairie

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Postby Prairie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:11 pm

Deuce wrote:In with 40k/year :D

wanna trade?

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:18 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:I like it when people who get waitlisted immediately demonstrate Pless' wisdom in not accepting them by claiming they were yield protected.

I mean... If your saying people like me are saying that to protect our ego's I think that is a little strange without knowing the persons numbers, but enjoy Illinois!

I do know your numbers. I also know Pless has repeatedly said that Illinois doesn't YP. All I'm saying is you're kind of like the guy who gets rejected by a girl and then says she must be a lesbian.

Prairie

Postby Prairie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:20 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:No. We're just supposed to be forever cognizant and self-reflective on the actuality of the deterministic world. :lol:

my critique of spinoza: this just sounds like a fancy way of saying "we're supposed to know that the world is there and is causal." i never could get too excited with spinoza. give me aristotle, hegel, and nietzsche. also, give you an illinois acceptance. good luck fellow philosopher.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:27 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:I like it when people who get waitlisted immediately demonstrate Pless' wisdom in not accepting them by claiming they were yield protected.

I mean... If your saying people like me are saying that to protect our ego's I think that is a little strange without knowing the persons numbers, but enjoy Illinois!

I do know your numbers. I also know Pless has repeatedly said that Illinois doesn't YP. All I'm saying is you're kind of like the guy who gets rejected by a girl and then says she must be a lesbian.

Apparently I have hurt your feelings. I am sorry I said I was yield protected when in fact I am just not good enough.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:28 pm

Prairie wrote:
Spinozist21 wrote:No. We're just supposed to be forever cognizant and self-reflective on the actuality of the deterministic world. :lol:

my critique of spinoza: this just sounds like a fancy way of saying "we're supposed to know that the world is there and is causal." i never could get too excited with spinoza. give me aristotle, hegel, and nietzsche. also, give you an illinois acceptance. good luck fellow philosopher.

Nietzsche? Who specifically wrote that he had a brother from long ago and his name was Spinoza? Spinoza's account of causal determinism generating from the main source of one substance...that is of there being only one substance and many modes (of which we are an example of) is not so totally different from what is now discussed in modern science (the big bang and types of quantum mechanics theories)...and he did it CENTURIES earlier. Its quite awesome actually...if you as me.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

And dont get me started on his thoughts on religion and government! :D

Trip Coker

Postby Trip Coker » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:37 pm

Dean Pless;

In addition to e-mail do you also update the status checker to inform people of the admission decision? I am asking because I will be unable to access my military e-mail for a few weeks but will still have internet. I am currently under review and according to your posts I will be receiving a decision next Friday. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions on this forum. It is greatly appreciated.

yoitsmebenny

Postby yoitsmebenny » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:38 pm

Trip Coker wrote:Dean Pless;

In addition to e-mail do you also update the status checker to inform people of the admission decision? I am asking because I will be unable to access my military e-mail for a few weeks but will still have internet. I am currently under review and according to your posts I will be receiving a decision next Friday. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions on this forum. It is greatly appreciated.

I'll answer for him: yes. My status was changed to "Admit" today.

ihp12

Postby ihp12 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:42 pm

Trip Coker wrote:Dean Pless;

Also this is not the Dean Pless Illinois forum, just the regular one.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:46 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:

Apparently I have hurt your feelings. I am sorry I said I was yield protected when in fact I am just not good enough.

I'm sorry you didn't get in, but if you came across as half as arrogant in your applications as you have in the few posts here, it might be a clue as to why you were wait-listed despite having the numbers to get in. I'm sure you'll get into a great school that prioritizes numbers above everything else, and I hope you do well there. From what I've read about Illinois' application review process, Illinois is numbers oriented but takes extra time to evaluate every part of each application and applicants who don't take the time to ensure their entire application package represents them well face an up-hill battle.

Prairie

Postby Prairie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:51 pm

Spinozist21 wrote:
Prairie wrote:

Nietzsche? Who specifically wrote that he had a brother from long ago and his name was Spinoza? Spinoza's account of causal determinism generating from the main source of one substance...that is of there being only one substance and many modes (of which we are an example of) is not so totally different from what is now discussed in modern science (the big bang and types of quantum mechanics theories)...and he did it CENTURIES earlier. Its quite awesome actually...if you as me.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

And dont get me started on his thoughts on religion and government! :D

touche. and i get that nietzsche and spinoza had very similar ideas in certain areas. but i also studied english lit, and the "geometry" of spinoza's writing was just such a huge turn off. however, don't ask me to explain my attraction to aristotle and hegel.

ihp12

Postby ihp12 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:08 pm

I'm the lowest GPA accepted so far! (3.0) :mrgreen: Badge of Honor.

lunaissleeping

Postby lunaissleeping » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:13 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:

don't believe everything you hear. no dean would ever openly admit to yield-protecting, but it's obviously something that's done.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:15 pm

lunaissleeping wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:

don't believe everything you hear. no dean would ever openly admit to yield-protecting, but it's obviously something that's done.

It really doesn't look like Illinois does, though, based on last year's graph:
http://illinois.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/?whichCycle=1011

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:17 pm

lunaissleeping wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:

It's possible but 1. I trust Pless and he's incredibly open about everything else. 2. Even if Illinois does YP and you have a 173 LSAT that doesn't necessarily mean you were YPed. There are a lot of other reasons why an applicant can be rejected or waitlisted. To assume you were YPed just because you have good numbers is douchey.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:18 pm

In review. <3 Pless' transparency.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:20 pm

Lwoods wrote:

Was just about to post this, but you beat me too it! Congratulations on your acceptance, L. What do you think the chances are that you'll end up at Illinois?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:25 pm

blurbz wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

Was just about to post this, but you beat me too it! Congratulations on your acceptance, L. What do you think the chances are that you'll end up at Illinois?

Thanks! It's hard to say. It's likely the best school I'll receive an acceptance from... but, I'm married and my husband's residency isn't in UC. Hence the complicating my life statement above. :D Happy complication, though, I think.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:45 pm

Lwoods wrote:
Thanks! It's hard to say. It's likely the best school I'll receive an acceptance from... but, I'm married and my husband's residency isn't in UC. Hence the complicating my life statement above. :D Happy complication, though, I think.

Well, as I've always said, the tough decisions are the best to have!

Congratulations to everyone else who got in today!

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:46 pm

When did people who heard today apply?

2011Cycle

Postby 2011Cycle » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:56 pm

kk19131 wrote:When did people who heard today apply?

9/28

Prairie

Postby Prairie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:51 pm

9/8

MillerTime

Postby MillerTime » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:52 pm

9/23

ihp12

Postby ihp12 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:54 pm

Mid September

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:22 pm

ihp12 wrote:I'm the lowest GPA accepted so far! (3.0) :mrgreen: Badge of Honor.

*snatch* nah, mine is lower. Sub 3 splitters ftw

Henchman21

Postby Henchman21 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:44 pm

Yikes!!
In Review!
12/03.

Looks like I'll be checking my status checker every Friday from now on. For those who got accepted, congratulations! Also, if you would be so kind to tell me approximately what time Illinois updates their status checker for decisions, that will be greatly appreciated.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”