Illinois 2011 applicants! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
trudat15

Silver

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Post by trudat15 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:39 am

Hannibal wrote:
trudat15 wrote:Has Illinois in the past practiced much YP?
Nope. I think YP is only useful if you don't have the fantastic scholarships UIUC has :D
Makes sense. What kind of schollys do they have? Just the standard (but they offer lots of $$?).
Got WL last night, thought I was in for sure (though I didnt write a Why Illinois).

Jen Loblaw

New

Post by Jen Loblaw » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:43 am

trudat15 wrote: Got WL last night, thought I was in for sure (though I didnt write a Why Illinois).
Can I ask your numbers? I didn't write one either, and I'm wondering how much that will factor in...

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:49 am

Jen Loblaw wrote:
trudat15 wrote: Got WL last night, thought I was in for sure (though I didnt write a Why Illinois).
Can I ask your numbers? I didn't write one either, and I'm wondering how much that will factor in...
PMed you. Though I think others have gotten in without writing one, so who knows. I'm probably going to submit one with my LOCI, since I probably would pick Illinois $$$$ over sticker somewhere.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:59 am

...Acceptances come by phone? Status checker?

CrimLaw300

Bronze

Post by CrimLaw300 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:59 am

kk19131 wrote:...Acceptances come by phone? Status checker?
E-mail.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:00 pm

CrimLaw300 wrote:
kk19131 wrote:...Acceptances come by phone? Status checker?
E-mail.

Thanks

pinkzebra

New

Post by pinkzebra » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:35 pm

anthropologieaddict wrote:
pinkzebra wrote:So I'm under review and will be receiving a decision next Friday... Didn't write a Why Illinois but I'm thinking I should... If I do, do I just send an email to the admissions office saying here's an attachment to my application? Or do you guys think I just shouldn't bother at this point?
I would add one! Couldn't hurt! Yes I believe you can just email one as an attachment to admissions.
Love your tar by the way, cute :D
I did go ahead and send one, so hopefully it helps... Guess we'll see on Friday!

And thanks haha, I have a slight obsession with pink and zebra so I like to combine the two however possible :D

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:39 pm

Good luck you all!!!!!!

masochist

Bronze

Post by masochist » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:41 am

Here is the update. Good luck all.
masochist wrote:On-deck Circle

In the interest of continuing to avoid work, I compiled a list of people who will be obsessively checking their email along with me next Friday. Quote and add your name if you are also under review. Neuroses love company. Good luck everyone, and sorry if I missed someone.

masochist
Bildungsroman
mez06
pinkzebra
chrisbru
SortOfObsessed
DieAntwoord
Softsgalore
Kalede
Risktaker

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chihuahua12

Bronze

Post by chihuahua12 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:43 am

pinkzebra wrote:
pinkzebra wrote:So I'm under review and will be receiving a decision next Friday... Didn't write a Why Illinois but I'm thinking I should... If I do, do I just send an email to the admissions office saying here's an attachment to my application? Or do you guys think I just shouldn't bother at this point?
I would add one! Couldn't hurt! Yes I believe you can just email one as an attachment to admissions.
I did go ahead and send one, so hopefully it helps... Guess we'll see on Friday!

And thanks haha, I have a slight obsession with pink and zebra so I like to combine the two however possible :D
Do you think it hurts my chances that I incorporated why Illinois into my PS instead of doing the separate essay? Or it makes no difference? Should I submit an additional why Illinois?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:16 pm

chihuahua12 wrote:
pinkzebra wrote:

Do you think it hurts my chances that I incorporated why Illinois into my PS instead of doing the separate essay? Or it makes no difference? Should I submit an additional why Illinois?
fwiw, I incorporated my "why Illinois" into my PS without a separate essay and got in. Someone else with my numbers on LSN was WL, so I don't have "shoo-in" numbers. There are, of course, many variables.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:17 pm

I'm currently looking for flights to Illinois. Anyone have any advice on which airport to fly into/ which airline might be cheapest from Florida?

oxford_don

Bronze

Post by oxford_don » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:19 pm

Barbie wrote:I'm currently looking for flights to Illinois. Anyone have any advice on which airport to fly into/ which airline might be cheapest from Florida?
Midway or Ohare. You will still be a few hours out of Champaign, but there are decent public transpo options between Chicago and Champaign (Amtrak, Megabus, Greyhound). It might be easier to get to these if you fly into Midway, but I'm not sure if there is a bus that runs from Ohare.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:21 pm

Barbie wrote:I'm currently looking for flights to Illinois. Anyone have any advice on which airport to fly into/ which airline might be cheapest from Florida?
They have an airport in Champaign - (CMI). I imagine you'll have a layover in Chicago (not sure which airport, but I think Midway is better for layovers because all the food is in the middle).

ETA: And check kayak.com or farecompare.com for good flight deals.

kad1026

New

Post by kad1026 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:27 pm

masochist wrote:Here is the update. Good luck all.

In the interest of continuing to avoid work, I compiled a list of people who will be obsessively checking their email along with me next Friday. Quote and add your name if you are also under review. Neuroses love company. Good luck everyone, and sorry if I missed someone.

masochist
Bildungsroman
mez06
pinkzebra
chrisbru
SortOfObsessed
DieAntwoord
Softsgalore
Kalede
Risktaker
add me to the list!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:44 pm

Ready for Friday. End of finals week + Illinois decision. :D

Jen Loblaw

New

Post by Jen Loblaw » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:47 pm

kad1026 wrote:
masochist wrote:Here is the update. Good luck all.

masochist
Bildungsroman
mez06
pinkzebra
chrisbru
SortOfObsessed
DieAntwoord
Softsgalore
Kalede
Risktaker
add me to the list!
and me please!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:54 pm

chihuahua12 wrote:Do you think it hurts my chances that I incorporated why Illinois into my PS instead of doing the separate essay? Or it makes no difference? Should I submit an additional why Illinois?
I don't think it makes a difference. I didn't write a separate "Why Illinois" or incorporate them into my PS and I was accepted last Friday with significant $. Depends on your numbers too, I suppose.

masochist

Bronze

Post by masochist » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:55 pm

Here we go.

masochist
Bildungsroman
mez06
pinkzebra
chrisbru
SortOfObsessed
DieAntwoord
Softsgalore
Kalede
Risktaker
JenLoblaw
kad1026

masochist

Bronze

Post by masochist » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:06 pm

Lwoods wrote:
They have an airport in Champaign - (CMI). I imagine you'll have a layover in Chicago (not sure which airport, but I think Midway is better for layovers because all the food is in the middle).

I think CMI is scary expensive to fly into, but admittedly I haven't checked since I live in Chicago. A layover in Chicago also give you two opportunities to get screwed by weather instead of one. Unless you are really daring with scheduling connecting flights, the fastest way to get to Urbana-Champaign is by car from Chicago. I think this may also be cheaper than flying if you can find a good deal on a car rental.

I have to imagine that there will be a number of TLS people trying to get from Chicago to the accepted student events at UIUC (hopefully I'll be one of them). This does open up the option of carpooling provided that we can make sure nobody is a serial killer.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:09 pm

masochist wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

I think CMI is scary expensive to fly into, but admittedly I haven't checked since I live in Chicago. A layover in Chicago also give you two opportunities to get screwed by weather instead of one. Unless you are really daring with scheduling connecting flights, the fastest way to get to Urbana-Champaign is by car from Chicago. I think this may also be cheaper than flying if you can find a good deal on a car rental.

I have to imagine that there will be a number of TLS people trying to get from Chicago to the accepted student events at UIUC (hopefully I'll be one of them). This does open up the option of carpooling provided that we can make sure nobody is a serial killer.

When I checked it was $200 rt from Columbus. For comparison, flights to W&L were $300+. I agree about the Chicago layover... if Delta flies to CMI, try to get an Atlanta layover from Florida.

ETA: Delta does fly into CMI; definitely look into an Atlanta layover.... love that airport...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:15 pm

Chicago is the closest airport besides the one in U-C? Bloomington is a no? Theres also Peora or something (I suck at spelling :( ) and a few others in Illinois that I see.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:20 pm

Barbie wrote:Chicago is the closest airport besides the one in U-C? Bloomington is a no? Theres also Peora or something (I suck at spelling :( ) and a few others in Illinois that I see.
Bloomington and Springfield will be closer than Chicago. Peoria is close as well. (edited b/c I was way off before) :oops:

Does your dad have snow-driving experience? Just something to consider for a February trip to the midwest... there probably won't be snow by then, but there could be. ;) (Personally, I'd much rather fly in snow than drive!)

masochist

Bronze

Post by masochist » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:22 pm

All of the other Illinois airports are pretty small and probably pose the same set of difficulties as CMI. Unless there is a huge price difference, you'd be better off just flying into CMI. Connecting through Atlanta is a really good idea, and it sounds like my impression of the cost of flying to CMI may be incorrect...

I just checked Chicago to CMI and the prices are around $500. It seems as though it is really expensive to fly from Chicago to CMI, but that this may not be true of other departure cities.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:22 pm

Lwoods wrote:
Barbie wrote:Chicago is the closest airport besides the one in U-C? Bloomington is a no? Theres also Peora or something (I suck at spelling :( ) and a few others in Illinois that I see.
Bloomington and Springfield will be closer than Chicago. Peoria is probably about as far away as Chicago, and likely more complicated of a drive.

Does your dad have snow-driving experience? Just something to consider for a February trip to the midwest... there probably won't be snow by then, but there could be. ;) (Personally, I'd much rather fly in snow than drive!)
Well, I'll be the one doing the driving because he is clostraphobic and will be drugged. I've never driven in snow (haven't even seen it since... 8th grade? 6th grade?) but I'll have to work with it haha (aka drive 2 miles per hour)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”