Illinois 2011 applicants! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ArchRoark

Silver

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Post by ArchRoark » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:05 pm

Anyone know if Illinois has p/f legal writing?

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:17 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Anyone know if Illinois has p/f legal writing?
It is p/f, but they also give out Honors (top 40%) and High Honors (top 10%) distinctions.

barbizon

New

Post by barbizon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:22 am

Spookyghost wrote:
sparcarc wrote:Has anyone heard any updates since last Friday the 18th? According to Dean Pless in the other Illinois thread, all files completed before March 1st should have gone into review with decisions aimed for the last Friday the 18th.. But perhaps that doesn't mean all decisions should be coming out by the 18th, hmm

Would love Illinois
Yes, and Pless also said that files completed by March 4 will have decisions this Friday. Last batch was 8 acceptances out of 192 so let's hope for better odds this week haha.

I'm excited to have my decision soon! Can anyone tell me how Illinois goes about revealing their decisions (snail mail, email, phone call, status checker?)?

Thanks in advance.

Spookyghost

Bronze

Post by Spookyghost » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:11 am

barbizon wrote:
Spookyghost wrote:
sparcarc wrote:Has anyone heard any updates since last Friday the 18th? According to Dean Pless in the other Illinois thread, all files completed before March 1st should have gone into review with decisions aimed for the last Friday the 18th.. But perhaps that doesn't mean all decisions should be coming out by the 18th, hmm

Would love Illinois
Yes, and Pless also said that files completed by March 4 will have decisions this Friday. Last batch was 8 acceptances out of 192 so let's hope for better odds this week haha.

I'm excited to have my decision soon! Can anyone tell me how Illinois goes about revealing their decisions (snail mail, email, phone call, status checker?)?

Thanks in advance.
After reviewing this thread, it seems the vast majority of acceptances and dings are e-mailed, probably with snailmail following.

anthropologieaddict

Bronze

Post by anthropologieaddict » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:14 pm

barbizon wrote:
Spookyghost wrote:

Would love Illinois

Thanks in advance.
Always through emails, you only get things in the mail if you're admitted.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:53 pm

So what's the plan for a TLS meet up this weekend? I'll be in Urbana Thursday through Sunday.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:00 pm

Ok, I won't be able to make it to ASD this week, but I will be visiting UIUC on 04/10/11 (going to visit 3 schools in 3 days). Other then strolling around campus and checking out the LS buildings, are there any must sees/visit/places to eat? 8)

Berdman

New

Post by Berdman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:02 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Ok, I won't be able to make it to ASD this week, but I will be visiting UIUC on 04/10/11 (going to visit 3 schools in 3 days). Other then strolling around campus and checking out the LS buildings, are there any must sees/visit/places to eat? 8)
What kind of bars and restaurants do you like?

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Berdman wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:Ok, I won't be able to make it to ASD this week, but I will be visiting UIUC on 04/10/11 (going to visit 3 schools in 3 days). Other then strolling around campus and checking out the LS buildings, are there any must sees/visit/places to eat? 8)
What kind of bars and restaurants do you like?
I can slam just about any type of good food, definitely not a picky eater. Lets chalk off Mexican because I get my fill for it down in Texas (and I am highly suspect of midwest Mexican food). Just throw out any any well known/Man vs Food/good restaurants or bars, I can yelp them to narrow down the list. I am not much of a bar person, plus I will be traveling by myself, but if any current/prospective students want to go grab a drink or shoot some pool, I am down.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Berdman

New

Post by Berdman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:16 pm

Well if you are a follower of MvF, u of I has it's own version of fat sandwich. So if sandwiches with mozzerella sticks are your thing, a must see. Seeing as you are from oos, I would highly suggesting seeking out the salty greatness known as the Italian beef.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:19 pm

Berdman wrote:Well if you are a follower of MvF, u of I has it's own version of fat sandwich. So if sandwiches with mozzerella sticks are your thing, a must see. Seeing as you are from oos, I would highly suggesting seeking out the salty greatness known as the Italian beef.
The Fat Sandwich in my UG town got closed recently. They have the worst business model known to mankind.

Berdman

New

Post by Berdman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:26 pm

Agreed. You would think that a salty and greasy sandwich shop that's open till 4am near a major bar scene would have more success.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:30 pm

Berdman wrote:Agreed. You would think that a salty and greasy sandwich shop that's open till 4am near a major bar scene would have more success.
It's because they only have business between midnight and 4 a.m. and all that time before are operating at a loss. in my town, the employees were uniformly sketchy and untrustworthy. Also, the only time you eat Fat Sandwich is when you are wasted and then the morning after you realize it was a huge mistake. I've only eaten it twice maybe. Lastly, they built a Fuzzy's across the street and the bar closing scene has moved there overwhelmingly.

My dream if I had $1 million: open a Five Guys in my college town. You'd make a killing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:15 pm

Where is everyone flying in to? I'm looking at super last minute flights and the best deal I can find is flying into Indianapolis. Does anyone know how I can get to Champaign from Indianapolis for pretty cheap? I'm under 25 so rental car is probably out of the question.

I know I'm planning this super late, but I was originally going to roadtrip it up there, but now I don't really want to drive that far.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:27 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:So what's the plan for a TLS meet up this weekend? I'll be in Urbana Thursday through Sunday.
This guy's gonna be there!
thewarflamingo wrote:Where is everyone flying in to? I'm looking at super last minute flights and the best deal I can find is flying into Indianapolis. Does anyone know how I can get to Champaign from Indianapolis for pretty cheap? I'm under 25 so rental car is probably out of the question.

I know I'm planning this super late, but I was originally going to roadtrip it up there, but now I don't really want to drive that far.
You can rent a car being under 25, it just costs like 60 dollars more.

I'm flying directly into Champaign because the extra cost of flying right there is worth the lack of hassle from busing from Chicago or something time consuming. I'd rather just get right there. Really wish UIUC gave SOMETHING in terms of a travel stipend; they're the only school I'm visiting that didn't offer a little cash.

samfii

Bronze

Post by samfii » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:47 pm

I'll be there!! I'm actually driving in so I don't Know about flights :-/

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:49 pm

ok yeah, I'm going to drive still after all. I head off to Illinois around 7am tomorrow! Not really looking forward to the 18 hour drive, but definitely looking forward to finally arriving in Champaign!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

super6

Bronze

Post by super6 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:16 pm

I got an offer from UT that would make it only 17k more, total, over 3 years that UIUC and they wouldn't give me a larger scholarship so I withdrew today. I'm sure UIUC would have given me a great education but how can I pass up living in Austin?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:28 pm

Illinois just sent me finaid info, and it looks like they're staying true to their claim that the $40k/year scholarships are full tuition and will rise with tuition, since mine is apparently $42k/year now to reflect new tuition totals.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:27 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Illinois just sent me finaid info, and it looks like they're staying true to their claim that the $40k/year scholarships are full tuition and will rise with tuition, since mine is apparently $42k/year now to reflect new tuition totals.
+1...you visiting this week bud?

DreamsInDigital

Bronze

Post by DreamsInDigital » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:42 pm

I think their policy of having your scholarship increase with the tuition is amazing. Looking forward to seeing the campus and hopefully meeting some of you this weekend.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:48 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Illinois just sent me finaid info, and it looks like they're staying true to their claim that the $40k/year scholarships are full tuition and will rise with tuition, since mine is apparently $42k/year now to reflect new tuition totals.
Interesting... I was thinking that tuition seemed $2,000 higher than I thought it was going to be, but my scholarship amount didn't change. Maybe I'll ask about that on the Pless thread.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:56 pm

RTFM wrote:
Interesting... I was thinking that tuition seemed $2,000 higher than I thought it was going to be, but my scholarship amount didn't change. Maybe I'll ask about that on the Pless thread.
Unless you're full ride (40k), it shouldn't have. You'll be locked in at 42k from here though.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:09 am

Hannibal wrote:
RTFM wrote:
Unless you're full ride (40k), it shouldn't have. You'll be locked in at 42k from here though.
All the scholarships will match the tuition increases, not just the full rides. Dean Pless sent out an email about it earlier in the month.
Dear ArchRoark,

We understand that cost is a huge factor in determining the best institution for you to attend for your legal education. Knowing exactly what your legal education will cost is critical in your decision making process. With tuition increases at law schools ranging from 3% to over 10% annually it is often difficult to accurately determine what your total investment will be. At Illinois we want to take that uncertainty out of the equation.

The Illinois Guarantee program provides you with the assurance that any tuition increases that occur in your second or third year of law school will be matched, dollar for dollar, with an increase to your scholarship.

As you already know, scholarships at Illinois are guaranteed for all three years of attendance, no strings attached. Now we are adding absolute certainty to the cost of your legal education. We hope that this program will make it easier for you to determine the best choice for your legal education.

I hope to see you here at Illinois this fall. As always, if you have any questions about this new program or about any other aspect of an Illinois legal education, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Sincerely,

Paul

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:16 am

ArchRoark wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
RTFM wrote:
All the scholarships will match the tuition increases, not just the full rides. Dean Pless sent out an email about it earlier in the month.
Dear ArchRoark,

We understand that cost is a huge factor in determining the best institution for you to attend for your legal education. Knowing exactly what your legal education will cost is critical in your decision making process. With tuition increases at law schools ranging from 3% to over 10% annually it is often difficult to accurately determine what your total investment will be. At Illinois we want to take that uncertainty out of the equation.

The Illinois Guarantee program provides you with the assurance that any tuition increases that occur in your second or third year of law school will be matched, dollar for dollar, with an increase to your scholarship.

As you already know, scholarships at Illinois are guaranteed for all three years of attendance, no strings attached. Now we are adding absolute certainty to the cost of your legal education. We hope that this program will make it easier for you to determine the best choice for your legal education.

I hope to see you here at Illinois this fall. As always, if you have any questions about this new program or about any other aspect of an Illinois legal education, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Sincerely,

Paul
Nah, Hannibal's right. They increased the $40Ks because they said they were a full ride and they wanted to make sure that they were actually a full ride. Everyone else will be protected from increases in our "second or third year of law school."

Also, just for general information, I e-mailed about scholarship negotiation today (only just now got a better offer to negotiate with) and Dean Pless said they were out of funds.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”