Illinois 2011 applicants! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ktg808

Bronze

Re: Illinois 2011 applicants!

Post by ktg808 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:25 pm

Yesss! In via email just now! Woot!

SMA22

Bronze

Post by SMA22 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:25 pm

In, $33k a year guranteed--amazing offer, is definitely a gamechanger...

aaaaaah

Bronze

Post by aaaaaah » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:26 pm

In just now w/ $30k/year. Yup, that makes me do this :D

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Congrats to the recent admits!!!
Lwoods wrote:So... earlier in this thread I mentioned planning to attend the February ASW. I hate driving in winter, so I changed my mind. I'm now planning on going to the April ASW. Anyone else going then? krad? ;)
Heyyy there! Long time no see! I am still trying to wait a bit longer to see how my cycle plays out :| I still have quite a few schools to hear back from, guh. I won't be making the Feb one, so if I do go it'll be to the April one!

tothePAIN

New

Post by tothePAIN » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:03 pm

In about a week ago. Full tuition scholarship. Debt averse so definitely a welcome offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DreamsInDigital

Bronze

Post by DreamsInDigital » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:19 pm

In via email about an hour ago, sooooo excited. My first acceptance. 40k a year, guaranteed.

Guess its official, I'm going to law school.

170, 2.7 hys, mexican american, 4yrs we

KingRajesh

Bronze

Post by KingRajesh » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:51 pm

With most of my other schools coming in with low offers, my 30k from Illinois is looking better and better.

Now I just need to hear back from WUSTL, Cornell and Michigan.

BTW, I'm going to the Open House in Feb. Anyone else going?

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:53 pm

KingRajesh wrote:With most of my other schools coming in with low offers, my 30k from Illinois is looking better and better.

I'm in almost the exact same position. Been waiting on Mich since November 2nd :roll:

I'm going to an off-site reception in March.

anthropologieaddict

Bronze

Post by anthropologieaddict » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:43 am

KingRajesh wrote:With most of my other schools coming in with low offers, my 30k from Illinois is looking better and better.

I'm attending the Feb. Open House. Congrats on the admit and scholarship!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 am

Super late notice, but I think I'm going in February now. Wasn't planning on it initally, but all the later dates I have a conflict with.

SMA22

Bronze

Post by SMA22 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:50 am

I think I may also be attending the February open house as well...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:53 am

Wish I could attend an open house.

Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:16 pm

More likely than not Im going to the open house in April, anyone else?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:22 pm

Zarathustraspoke wrote:More likely than not Im going to the open house in April, anyone else?
I'm planning on it! :)

Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Lwoods wrote:
Zarathustraspoke wrote:More likely than not Im going to the open house in April, anyone else?
Cool! How you figured out ticket prices and such? I see from your profile you also got accepted to Fordham... Are you favoring it over Illinois? Im from NYC as well so I would like to know what you think...

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:40 pm

Zarathustraspoke wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
Cool! How you figured out ticket prices and such? I see from your profile you also got accepted to Fordham... Are you favoring it over Illinois? Im from NYC as well so I would like to know what you think...
I'm in Ohio now, so I'll drive.

IU is sort of winning the race because of money, but OSU will probably win because my husband's job is here (and is not portable).
However, if I removed the husband factor, I'm not sure how I'd be able to narrow down between UIUC, IUB and Fordham.
UIUC is the most prestigious, and its prestige carries to the coast, I believe (I'll PM you the firm profile of the big, big deal partner at my old firm who went to Illinois for law school).
Fordham places the best, but it's expensive and I'd want to find out more about the environment there. I know Cardozo has a reputation for being cut-throat and Fordham does not, but it also makes sense that those good jobs primarily only go to the top students. So, combine the cost, the "success" threshold and the fact that it's located in a bit of a gunner city, I'm a little concerned.
IUB is the cheapest, and I think will climb in the ratings thanks to its aggressive recruiting tactic. Since I have contacts, I'm fairly confident I could do well from there, and I really like Bloomington as a town. But, despite how good it is, I think people on the coasts will often see it as podunk. Without connections, it's a bit of a crap shoot. But at least the debt will be minimal! :)
Yeah, I think without the husband UIUC would beat Fordham.

Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:51 pm

I'm in Ohio now, so I'll drive.

IU is sort of winning the race because of money, but OSU will probably win because my husband's job is here (and is not portable).
However, if I removed the husband factor, I'm not sure how I'd be able to narrow down between UIUC, IUB and Fordham.
UIUC is the most prestigious, and its prestige carries to the coast, I believe (I'll PM you the firm profile of the big, big deal partner at my old firm who went to Illinois for law school).
Fordham places the best, but it's expensive and I'd want to find out more about the environment there. I know Cardozo has a reputation for being cut-throat and Fordham does not, but it also makes sense that those good jobs primarily only go to the top students. So, combine the cost, the "success" threshold and the fact that it's located in a bit of a gunner city, I'm a little concerned.
IUB is the cheapest, and I think will climb in the ratings thanks to its aggressive recruiting tactic. Since I have contacts, I'm fairly confident I could do well from there, and I really like Bloomington as a town. But, despite how good it is, I think people on the coasts will often see it as podunk. Without connections, it's a bit of a crap shoot. But at least the debt will be minimal! :)
I didn't apply to IUB but heard they're pretty good with schollys. I did get a scholly from Illinois and I really like the school and have heard pretty good things about the city so I am definitely looking forward to going and checking it out. With re to Fordham I haven't been admitted yet but I suspect that if I get in it would be via WL with no money. I'm also waiting to hear back from BU as they place well in NYC but I doubt they'll give me any money either. Fordham is my top choice but at sticker that's a hard choice to make...
Yeah, I think without the husband UIUC would beat Fordham.
Even if you were looking to work in NYC? note: Not sure if I want BigLaw yet...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:03 pm

Zarathustraspoke wrote:
LWoods wrote:Yeah, I think without the husband UIUC would beat Fordham.
Just looked at your profile; your UIUC scholarship is better than mine, making UIUC significantly less expensive than Fordham, so yes. :) I mean, try to network around the city now if you can. See what the alumni network is like within the city and if you're comfortable with your ability to return.
Are your parents in NYC? Would you be able to live at home to save money? If money is not an issue, then I think it's very much an individual decision wrt where you feel you fit in. Good luck and I guess I'll probably see you in April! :)

Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:14 pm

Lwoods wrote:
Zarathustraspoke wrote:
LWoods wrote:Yeah, I think without the husband UIUC would beat Fordham.
Just looked at your profile; your UIUC scholarship is better than mine, making UIUC significantly less expensive than Fordham, so yes. :) I mean, try to network around the city now if you can. See what the alumni network is like within the city and if you're comfortable with your ability to return.
Yea I've been working on it :) I work at a pretty big firm now as a legal assistant and have made connections within the department I work in and I also have a family member whose an associate at Cravath so hopefully that works out to my advantage.
Are your parents in NYC? Would you be able to live at home to save money? If money is not an issue, then I think it's very much an individual decision wrt where you feel you fit in. Good luck and I guess I'll probably see you in April! :)
Yea most of my family lives here but Im not OK with living with them for 3 years (my bachelor side is telling me thats a bad idea). However, I have a friend whose more likely than not going to law school in NYC as well so maybe we can get an apt together. Thanks for the advice and hopefully I'll you in Illinois:)

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:32 pm

Visiting Illinois is going to get awful pricey/difficult for me. Since I'm 20, I can't rent a car, so I should probably fly directly into Urbana instead of Bloomington. If I did do Bloomington, it might be difficult to get a ride down to the campus. But, flights to Urbana are crazy expensive haha.

I think I'm going to call the school and ask their opinion, maybe they know some shuttle services that can help me out, and if it's possible to stay with a current student (so I can be nearby campus).

Anyone else set up their flights and things already for the Feb. 25th ASW?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:37 pm

krad wrote:Congrats to the recent admits!!!
Lwoods wrote:So... earlier in this thread I mentioned planning to attend the February ASW. I hate driving in winter, so I changed my mind. I'm now planning on going to the April ASW. Anyone else going then? krad? ;)
Heyyy there! Long time no see! I am still trying to wait a bit longer to see how my cycle plays out :| I still have quite a few schools to hear back from, guh. I won't be making the Feb one, so if I do go it'll be to the April one!
APRIL! I think since I freaked out about the cold I'm planning on going up again when I can actually go outside for more than 2 seconds at a time to see if it calms my nerves a bit :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

boozehound

Bronze

Post by boozehound » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:31 pm

I want to write a LOCI for Illinois, but I don't have anything new to add to my app. Although every day since I got waitlisted, my wife says "I TOLD you to retake the LSAT!"

Do you think Dean Pless would find this new info helpful??

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:43 pm

boozehound wrote:I want to write a LOCI for Illinois, but I don't have anything new to add to my app. Although every day since I got waitlisted, my wife says "I TOLD you to retake the LSAT!"

lol :)

In all seriousness did you write a Why Illinois with your app? If not, it would probably be helpful to send an LOCI and simply discuss your specific interest in the school, programs, etc. You seem like a strong candidate with the PhD and patent stuff! If you did already do that, I wouldn't hesitate to send an LOCI reiterating your interest.

anthropologieaddict

Bronze

Post by anthropologieaddict » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:49 pm

krad wrote:
boozehound wrote:I want to write a LOCI for Illinois, but I don't have anything new to add to my app. Although every day since I got waitlisted, my wife says "I TOLD you to retake the LSAT!"

lol :)

In all seriousness did you write a Why Illinois with your app? If not, it would probably be helpful to send an LOCI and simply discuss your specific interest in the school, programs, etc. You seem like a strong candidate with the PhD and patent stuff! If you did already do that, I wouldn't hesitate to send an LOCI reiterating your interest.
I agree and if UIUC is your first choice and you would likely (or positively) take a seat if admitted be sure to state that.

boozehound

Bronze

Post by boozehound » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:57 pm

Yeah, I wrote a "Why Illinois" essay. No doubt it's my 3.0 GPA holding me back. I'll write a LOCI in a couple weeks and see what happens. Congrats on your well-deserved acceptances.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”