Stetson 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Barbie

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby Barbie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:10 pm

ballboy899 wrote:i've already been accepted with a 158 and 3.4 and I emailed someone asking about scholarships and the lady basically told me that I would not be receiving any type of scholarship because my numbers were too low

just wanted to let those of you know who were still looking for a possibly scholly there with similar numbers..doesn't look like we're getting anything :x

What numbers?

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:27 pm

Barbie wrote:
ballboy899 wrote:i've already been accepted with a 158 and 3.4 and I emailed someone asking about scholarships and the lady basically told me that I would not be receiving any type of scholarship because my numbers were too low

just wanted to let those of you know who were still looking for a possibly scholly there with similar numbers..doesn't look like we're getting anything :x

What numbers?

really? those are good numbers for stetson......maybe you should negotiate if you have gotten offers from other schools. i wouldnt let just one lady's response stop you at your heels

dukivich10

Postby dukivich10 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:01 pm

rs2004 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

What numbers?

really? those are good numbers for stetson......maybe you should negotiate if you have gotten offers from other schools. i wouldnt let just one lady's response stop you at your heels

I think i talked to a nicer source...She said the first round of acceptances were coming out this week. My numbers arent significantly better than ballboy's, so i might not be getting any $ either.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:28 pm

Barbie wrote:

What numbers?

Sorry I was on my cell phone haha apparently didn't see them :) I'm surprised also that you are getting nothing.

dukivich10 wrote:I think i talked to a nicer source...She said the first round of acceptances were coming out this week. My numbers arent significantly better than ballboy's, so i might not be getting any $ either.

Scholarships, you mean?

dukivich10

Postby dukivich10 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:39 pm

Barbie wrote:
Barbie wrote:

What numbers?

Sorry I was on my cell phone haha apparently didn't see them :) I'm surprised also that you are getting nothing.

dukivich10 wrote:I think i talked to a nicer source...She said the first round of acceptances were coming out this week. My numbers arent significantly better than ballboy's, so i might not be getting any $ either.

Scholarships, you mean?

Ya. My bad. I'm an idiot.

ballboy899

Postby ballboy899 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:10 pm

yea im gona try to negotiate a little..i mean i really would like to look at stetson more but if theyre not gona give me any scholarship theres no chance im gona go considering i've already gotten into better schools so we'll just see what happens i guess

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:17 pm

status changed to Decision made - sent by email

good/bad? Splitter way over their 75% LSAT

edit* - IN via email . First acceptance out of 17 applications. monkey off the back.

tas817

Postby tas817 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:30 pm

Got a 10K a year scholly via FEDEX today.

Lexyeva

Postby Lexyeva » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:59 pm

tas817 wrote:Got a 10K a year scholly via FEDEX today.

Anyone else heard back on scholarships???

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:04 pm

Lexyeva wrote:

No, but also been out of town for some time. Hmmmm...

fiery_searcher

Postby fiery_searcher » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:00 am

Lexyeva wrote:

I didn't realize there was a FedEx envelope stuck in my screen door until about an hour ago. Very pleasantly surprised to find that it was a scholarship offer of full tuition for all three years if I can stay in the top 50%. :o This will definitely give me a lot to think about. I was pretty set on going to FSU, but now I have to give Stetson a real serious look. The Admitted Students Weekend is February 25 - 27 btw. I will actually be in Gulfport next Saturday for the Floridiana Festival, maybe I'll drive around and check out the rest of the area.

KCBUFF

Postby KCBUFF » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:14 pm

fiery what are your numbers bud

Lexyeva

Postby Lexyeva » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:24 pm

KCBUFF wrote:fiery what are your numbers bud

165, 3.7 per his profile

Edit: HER profile I mean

fiery_searcher

Postby fiery_searcher » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:54 pm

Lexyeva wrote:

165, 3.7 per his profile

Yup, what Lexyeva said.

:wink:

Is Stetson a #1 choice for anyone here?

Lexyeva

Postby Lexyeva » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:06 pm

fiery_searcher wrote:
Lexyeva wrote:

165, 3.7 per his profile

Yup, what Lexyeva said.

Congrats on the full scholly!!! If I had a full scholly, it would definitely be up there. My brother lives in Tampa and his gf's dad is a partner at a big firm in Tampa. He says Stetson is a great school with a great reputation in the area. Something to think about!

SRQmarie

Postby SRQmarie » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:47 pm

fiery_searcher wrote:
Lexyeva wrote:

165, 3.7 per his profile

Yup, what Lexyeva said.

Hi Fiery,
We seem to be in similar situations. I also received a full scholly package yesterday (no strings), but had pretty much decided on FSU ($10/yr scholly, no strings) before getting that letter. 163, 3.92. This will be a second career for me, and I plan to continue to live and work in Florida - probably Tampa. It sure would be awesome to graduate from law school with no debt - I could work wherever I wanted without worrying about making enough to pay back loans. But Stetson is considered a Tier 3 school... Decisions, decisions...

tas817

Postby tas817 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:19 pm

SRQmarie wrote:
fiery_searcher wrote:
Lexyeva wrote:

165, 3.7 per his profile

Yup, what Lexyeva said.

Hi Fiery,
We seem to be in similar situations. I also received a full scholly package yesterday (no strings), but had pretty much decided on FSU ($10/yr scholly, no strings) before getting that letter. 163, 3.92. This will be a second career for me, and I plan to continue to live and work in Florida - probably Tampa. It sure would be awesome to graduate from law school with no debt - I could work wherever I wanted without worrying about making enough to pay back loans. But Stetson is considered a Tier 3 school... Decisions, decisions...

If you know for sure you want to stay in FL Stetson is not tier 3. Stetson is very well respected all over FL and has a great alumni network, especially in Tampa.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:28 pm

tas817 wrote:
SRQmarie wrote:Hi Fiery,

If you know for sure you want to stay in FL Stetson is not tier 3. Stetson is very well respected all over FL and has a great alumni network, especially in Tampa.

As a Tampa native, this has some truth and some stretch. In TAMPA and St. Pete, Stetson is a wonderful choice. Anywhere else in Florida, it will be drastically overshadowed by UF, FSU, and Miami grads.

tas817

Postby tas817 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:54 pm

Apparently Charlie Christ is going to teach part time at Stetson.

--LinkRemoved--

Don't think this will sway anyones decision to attend or not but seemed like a fun fact.

fiery_searcher

Postby fiery_searcher » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:02 pm

SRQmarie wrote:
fiery_searcher wrote:
Lexyeva wrote:

165, 3.7 per his profile

Yup, what Lexyeva said.

Hi Fiery,

SRQmarie,

Yes, it will be very tough. I haven't heard anything back from FSU yet scholarship-wise, but I keep hoping. I'm not sure what it would take for me to turn down Stetson's offer just yet - Stetson is in an awesome location, it is the closest school to my family, has a good reputation/decent job placement in Central Florida (as far as I can tell), and I am very debt averse.

However, I do want to study Environmental Law and FSU has the 5th best Environmental program in the country. Not to mention my daughter will be starting school soon and Tallahassee has some of the best public elementary schools in the state. I do plan on staying in Florida after graduation, but since I think I would like to work at an environmental non-profit I have to think FSU would give me more opportunities.

Do have an idea of what kind of law you'd like to go into?

Love your avatar by the way! I was in awe of that statue when I saw it on our way to the beach last year.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:26 pm

Stetson 1L, let me know if you have any questions...

SRQmarie

Postby SRQmarie » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:04 pm

I didn't mean to diss Stetson when I said it was considered a Tier 3 school; I should have clarified that US News classifies it that way. Many attorneys I've spoken with here in Sarasota consider it a great school - and they aren't alumni. But, as others have mentioned, its reputation is very local. While I'm pretty sure I'd like to stay in SW Florida, FSU has more name recognition in other parts of FL. I was also accepted to UF with a $6000/yr scholly contingent on maintaining a 3.2 GPA, but I don't think I'd move to Gainesville for 3 years on the off chance that I'd be lucky enough to never fall below 3.2.

@fiery: I'm not 100% sure what type of law I'd like to go into at this point. I'm a Certified Financial Planner, so I'm leaning toward Elder Law, but I have a real soft spot for the military (my husband and I are Navy veterans and we have 2 kids in the Navy), so Stetson's VA Clinic really interests me. I'm also a strong advocate of 2nd Amendment rights and Libertarian policies, which is why Tallahassee/FSU interests me. I do know that I don't want a "big law" job; I've been in the corporate world long enough. Joining a small to medium firm, working in government, or hanging out my own shingle would be perfect. I took home over $150,000 the past 2 years, but the stress isn't worth it. I'd be happy making half that and having a life....after law school, of course. :lol:

SRQmarie

Postby SRQmarie » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:17 pm

GATORTIM wrote:Stetson 1L, let me know if you have any questions...

Hi GatorTim,

What's the teaching method at Stetson? Socratic, modified Socratic, lecture, a combination...? Also, are laptops required in the classrooms and for exams, or are they optional? (I noticed in a brochure photo that all the students in the photo had laptops open during a lecture - that's why I ask.)

Also, about how much did you spend on your first semester books?

Thanks!

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:30 am

SRQmarie wrote:

Hi GatorTim,

What's the teaching method at Stetson? Socratic, modified Socratic, lecture, a combination...? Also, are laptops required in the classrooms and for exams, or are they optional? (I noticed in a brochure photo that all the students in the photo had laptops open during a lecture - that's why I ask.)

Thanks!

There's not really one method that blankets the school, but 1st semester was something along the lines of:
Contracts: Lecture with students called on a few times per class to review a case (I was called on just a couple of times the entire semester)
Crim Law: Lecture
Civ Pro: Lecture
and I don't even know how to classify LRW

Laptops were not required for class or exams (most students have them in class and use them for the exam, but there are a handful that take notes by hand and write exams)

books were $500ish first semester (I waited until the last minute and had to buy many new - also bought recommended books). This semester was much cheaper though.

SRQmarie

Postby SRQmarie » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:24 am

GATORTIM wrote:
SRQmarie wrote:

Hi GatorTim,

Thanks!

There's not really one method that blankets the school, but 1st semester was something along the lines of:
Contracts: Lecture with students called on a few times per class to review a case (I was called on just a couple of times the entire semester)
Crim Law: Lecture
Civ Pro: Lecture
and I don't even know how to classify LRW

Laptops were not required for class or exams (most students have them in class and use them for the exam, but there are a handful that take notes by hand and write exams)

books were $500ish first semester (I waited until the last minute and had to buy many new - also bought recommended books). This semester was much cheaper though.

Thank you.

What made you choose Stetson, and are you happy with your decision so far?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”