Stetson 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hetherlys

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby hetherlys » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:52 pm

Decision Status: Decision made/sent by email
Decision Status Date: 4/25/2011

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:56 pm

hetherlys wrote:Decision Status: Decision made/sent by email
Decision Status Date: 4/25/2011

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY!! Bring us some good news!!

papalew

Postby papalew » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:30 pm

Today is the day!

Now we wait... again...

hetherlys

Postby hetherlys » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:31 pm

papalew wrote:Today is the day!

Now we wait... again...

LOL this HAS to be a shorter wait than the almost six weeks we've already been waiting.

LawBound11

Postby LawBound11 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:32 pm

Good luck to both of you, papa and hether!!!

papalew

Postby papalew » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:45 pm

IN! IN! IN! IN! IN! IN! IN! IN! IN!

hetherlys

Postby hetherlys » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:46 pm

papalew wrote:IN! IN! IN! IN! IN! IN! IN! IN! IN!

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:49 pm

hetherlys wrote:
papalew wrote:IN! IN! IN! IN! IN! IN! IN! IN! IN!

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quot

Congrats you two!! Yay!!

LawBound11

Postby LawBound11 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:56 pm

CONGRATS!!!!

SirClanceyGibbonsIII

Postby SirClanceyGibbonsIII » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:09 pm

papalew,
I saw you were accepted to fsu as well as stetson. Have you decided which one you will be attending yet, and if so, why that one?
Im currently deciding between those two and although the conventional wisdom on this site would be to attend FSU, I really love stetson and want to work in the Tampa Bay Area after LS where Stetson seems to have a very strong reputation. Thanks.

papalew

Postby papalew » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:21 pm

SirClanceyGibbonsIII wrote:papalew,
I saw you were accepted to fsu as well as stetson. Have you decided which one you will be attending yet, and if so, why that one?
Im currently deciding between those two and although the conventional wisdom on this site would be to attend FSU, I really love stetson and want to work in the Tampa Bay Area after LS where Stetson seems to have a very strong reputation. Thanks.

I will be attending Stetson. I am a Tampa Bay native and am extremely comfortable in the area. I also have an SO who cannot work in Tally. There are job opportunities at some firms in St. Pete that I can utilize so placement isn't really an issue. I do not particularly like Tally and their recent bump to T1 doesn't impress me because they lack any nationally recognized specialization. In short, I love Stetson and have always seen myself there, even over UF, FSU, and UM.

PM me if you have any other questions!

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:36 pm

papalew wrote:[quote=\ I do not particularly like Tally and their recent bump to T1 doesn't impress me because they lack any nationally recognized specialization.

Hmm.. Stetson rocks but the only thing that will ever be nationally recognized would be T1, or other non-law factors that come along with each school-- sports teams, famous alums, etc.

Please correct me here if I'm off the mark, but I think that the USNEWS magazine ranks the "specialties" without a formula. I know just about every school I visited had a trial team that just own a "national competition." Seems to me a lot like highschool cheerleading-- about 100 different "national championships." Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Stetson has great lit/advocacy coaches there.

I learned most of this from research I'd done over the University of Denver. They are ranked in like 5 specialties, but are T2. I wanted to like them more than I should because of those specialty rankings. Come to find out, they ain't that special.

papalew

Postby papalew » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:48 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
papalew wrote:[quote=\ I do not particularly like Tally and their recent bump to T1 doesn't impress me because they lack any nationally recognized specialization.

Hmm.. Stetson rocks but the only thing that will ever be nationally recognized would be T1, or other non-law factors that come along with each school-- sports teams, famous alums, etc.

Please correct me here if I'm off the mark, but I think that the USNEWS magazine ranks the "specialties" without a formula. I know just about every school I visited had a trial team that just own a "national competition." Seems to me a lot like highschool cheerleading-- about 100 different "national championships." Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Stetson has great lit/advocacy coaches there.

I learned most of this from research I'd done over the University of Denver. They are ranked in like 5 specialties, but are T2. I wanted to like them more than I should because of those specialty rankings. Come to find out, they ain't that special.

I may be in a unique situation where the employment opportunities I have are litigation based so, for me, Stetson is better. There is no rule that governs which school is better. But, I do agree that over emphasis of specializations without fundamentals is a pitfall of lower ranked institutions.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:00 pm

papalew wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:

I may be in a unique situation where the employment opportunities I have are litigation based so, for me, Stetson is better. There is no rule that governs which school is better. But, I do agree that over emphasis of specializations without fundamentals is a pitfall of lower ranked institutions.

Sounds like you are in the right place then. Congrats on the good news.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:01 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
papalew wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:

Sounds like you are in the right place then. Congrats on the good news.

By the way, FSU is top 5 in environmental law.

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:16 pm

Going up to visit on Friday and will most likely pay my seat deposit while I'm there! Was hoping to sit in on a class but don't think I'll be able to because classes are over for the semester. Also will be looking for an apartment. Anyone have any suggestions? Where is the best place to live around Stetson?

jdwishes

Postby jdwishes » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:56 pm

been gone for the day and just catching up...

CONGRATS HEATHERLYS AND PAPALEW!!!!! See you at Stetson this Fall!

hetherlys

Postby hetherlys » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:46 pm

Thanks for the congratulations! I'm super excited and probably won't get to see too many of you since you're all full-time!

Also, MUCHAS thanks for letting me vent and be nutty!

hetherlys

Postby hetherlys » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:21 am

It's been super quiet now....HI!

LawBound11

Postby LawBound11 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:51 am

hetherlys wrote:It's been super quiet now....HI!

Hellooooo!

papalew

Postby papalew » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:14 am

Are there any guys going into the FT program that are looking for a roommate?

NickM54

Postby NickM54 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:59 pm

Papalew,

i am going to visit in mid May and will have a better idea of my living options then, I may be looking for a roomie.

CBROWN22

Postby CBROWN22 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:12 pm

ACCEPTED as of today!!

So happy and excited. :D

jdwishes

Postby jdwishes » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:45 pm

CBROWN22 wrote:ACCEPTED as of today!!

So happy and excited. :D

Congrats, CBROWN22!!!

Yay!!! :D