Stetson 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HOPEFORCHANGE
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 am

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:51 pm

Yeah, just study and take a lot of practice tests. Read a basic book about logic so you can easily identify premises and conclusions if needed. Stetson won't take anyone in the 140s because although they're still 110, they went down in ranking during the past few years by several places.

Chants
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby Chants » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:55 pm

redlighter wrote:I'm not going to be one of these people who wallows in defeat. I did not secure the necessary LSAT score; I can cry about it and nothing will happen in my favor, or I can grow some hootspah, study my ass off for the June LSAT, and try to pull a backdoor summer miracle.


I like the attitude. Good luck!

hetherlys
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby hetherlys » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:07 pm

redlighter wrote:I submitted my app three weeks ago, and it went to review status last Tuesday. And, yes, I think evidence does support a particularly competitive admissions process at Stetson this year, at least according to Blackstone, Law School Numbers, and TLS stats. That wouldn't help me with a 146 anyway; I'm not going to bitch about it. I'm going to take my lumps and think about how best to approach the situation from here.


It seems like a pretty quick reject. I wonder if they reviewed anything beyond your numbers. Best of luck on the June LSAT!

redlighter
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby redlighter » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:33 am

It's nice to know you can pay a school $55, and they don't even read your entire application. Seems like a nice misappropriation of resources.

jdwishes
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:00 pm

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby jdwishes » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:24 am

Confused about the June LSAT. Will Stetson accept a June LSAT as part of the petition you are refering to? Good Luck, redlighter. Stay committed if Stetson is the school for you!

I still would like to know why Stetson stopped Spring enrollment...too many students and not enough internships, clinics in the market...increasing their selectivity for rankings...does anyone know?

Btw, I noticed on the 2011-2012 calendar they posted, they've done away with December graduations. So, if you want to take classes over the 1L and 2L summers to graduate a semester early, no ceremony unless you walk in the following May commencement. By then you would have taken the Bar and hopefully be a practicing atty...kinda weird and anti-climatic to walk after all that. (Just throwin that in there for anyone who was on the last admitted Stetson chat where they talked about summer internships v. taking classes and graduating in 2.5 yrs. Not that anyone is making a decision based on the ceremony :) )

Chants
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby Chants » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:50 pm

Accepted today via email. Complete on 3/23.

NickM54
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:14 am

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby NickM54 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:52 pm

Congrats Chants. Were you WL accept or just accept? Other options out there?

hetherlys
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby hetherlys » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:20 pm

Chants wrote:Accepted today via email. Complete on 3/23.


Congrats!

Chants
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby Chants » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:02 pm

Thanks!

Accepted outright. I didn't apply until late (March 3rd to be exact), complete 3 weeks later, accepted 1 week later. 159/3.3

I like a lot about Stetson, but I will need substantial merit aid to really consider it as an option (which I do not think I will get upon comparing my #'s to LSN). Right now IU-Indy is my top choice. I am still waiting on 6 other decisions (mostly reaches) and then I will make a decision.

Good Luck to those still waiting! I promise to withdraw asap if I am not awarded any/enough aid :D

hetherlys
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby hetherlys » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:42 am

Chants wrote:Thanks!

Accepted outright. I didn't apply until late (March 3rd to be exact), complete 3 weeks later, accepted 1 week later. 159/3.3

I like a lot about Stetson, but I will need substantial merit aid to really consider it as an option (which I do not think I will get upon comparing my #'s to LSN). Right now IU-Indy is my top choice. I am still waiting on 6 other decisions (mostly reaches) and then I will make a decision.

Good Luck to those still waiting! I promise to withdraw asap if I am not awarded any/enough aid :D


I applied and went complete at the same times you did...and still waiting for a decision! I think waiting for my son to be born was less nerve-wracking.

papalew
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:25 am

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby papalew » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Chants wrote:Thanks!

Accepted outright. I didn't apply until late (March 3rd to be exact), complete 3 weeks later, accepted 1 week later. 159/3.3

I like a lot about Stetson, but I will need substantial merit aid to really consider it as an option (which I do not think I will get upon comparing my #'s to LSN). Right now IU-Indy is my top choice. I am still waiting on 6 other decisions (mostly reaches) and then I will make a decision.

Good Luck to those still waiting! I promise to withdraw asap if I am not awarded any/enough aid :D


Applied and went complete the day after you. Hopefully a decision will follow the pattern!

NattieLite
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:04 pm

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby NattieLite » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:26 pm

Hey guys!

I just logged into this site for the first time. Congrats to everyone who got accepted into Stetson! I love the campus and surrounding area, my only reservation is job placement and cost. Unfortunately, the school did not extend a scholarship my way. I would love to go there, just weighing the pros and cons at this point. What makes this decision even more difficult is the fact that I received a full scholarship to a mediocre school in Arkansas. I would have never considered this school in the past, but given the economy I am trying to be as fiscally conscious as possible. Any advice?

Thanks.

jdwishes
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:00 pm

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby jdwishes » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:15 pm

NattieLite wrote:Hey guys!

I just logged into this site for the first time. Congrats to everyone who got accepted into Stetson! I love the campus and surrounding area, my only reservation is job placement and cost. Unfortunately, the school did not extend a scholarship my way. I would love to go there, just weighing the pros and cons at this point. What makes this decision even more difficult is the fact that I received a full scholarship to a mediocre school in Arkansas. I would have never considered this school in the past, but given the economy I am trying to be as fiscally conscious as possible. Any advice?

Thanks.


I'm with you...no scholly. In their last webchat they said only about 20-22% of students get scholarship assistance, so the majority of us will be paying sticker. It's a tough pill to swallow because, like you, I had several decent schollys I turned down (some from better ranked schools too). For me, I decided that Stetson really has the market cornered in the Tampa Bay area so I think finding internships and jobs will be much better than say south FL or more upstate where you are competing with several schools pumping out grads (some twice a year) when the market is already saturated. Stetson also seems to have strong networking connections which I think bodes well for grads.

Do you think you would practice in Arkansas or move after graduation? What type of law are you interested in? That also was a big factor for me in my decision process because I'm interested in trial ad. Congrats on your acceptances!

redlighter
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby redlighter » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:09 am

I know I'm having a bad cycle when Ave Maria shuts me out- 3.37/146 . I must be doing something wrong if T-4's are shutting me out too. It's extremely disconcerting.

HOPEFORCHANGE
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 am

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:56 am

You need a better LSAT score. All I can tell you is I got a 159. My mom passed away this summer and I took it in December. I never was able to do LG with the time allotted. RC I did ok. My strength was LR and I fully credit that to taking basic logic in college and doing so many practice questions. After you do about 1000 LR, it's easy, but you need every second of time. Anyway, I also learned how to easily recognize conclusions and premises, etc. in my college logic class so learning the other stuff wasn't incredibly difficult. Try it. Read a book on logic, not LSAT logical reasoning, but logic.

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12531
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby jessuf » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:18 am

Do the majority of you plan on working in Tampa? I'm a Tampa native, and it seems like other Florida schools dominate this market, which is a scary thought. Through my job + networking in the area, I've only met one Stetson graduate, who was clerking for a judge. Everyone else has been mostly from UF, some from UM. Though I'd love to stay around here because it's an awesome location and relatively low cost of living, Tampa has a high unemployment rate, and I don't like any of the other cities in Florida. Thoughts?

hetherlys
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby hetherlys » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:24 am

Jessuf wrote:Do the majority of you plan on working in Tampa? I'm a Tampa native, and it seems like other Florida schools dominate this market, which is a scary thought. Through my job + networking in the area, I've only met one Stetson graduate, who was clerking for a judge. Everyone else has been mostly from UF, some from UM. Though I'd love to stay around here because it's an awesome location and relatively low cost of living, Tampa has a high unemployment rate, and I don't like any of the other cities in Florida. Thoughts?


I'm a paralegal on the St. Pete side and I run into Stetson grads all over the place.

KMD2695
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby KMD2695 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:04 am

Would you say it's too late to apply now, seeming that their deadline is in two weeks? 3.4/154--- what are my chances?

hetherlys
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby hetherlys » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:05 am

KMD2695 wrote:Would you say it's too late to apply now, seeming that their deadline is in two weeks? 3.4/154--- what are my chances?


They've extended the deadline to April 18th, I would say it's worth a shot.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:08 am

April 18 is two weeks from April 4th.

NickM54
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:14 am

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby NickM54 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Just got the phone call a few mins ago. I am in! I will decide if I accept (a high probability) tonight. 2.87 156

User avatar
LawBound11
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby LawBound11 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:20 pm

NickM54 wrote:Just got the phone call a few mins ago. I am in! I will decide if I accept (a high probability) tonight. 2.87 156


Congrats!!!!! Hoping to join you soon! :D

ETA: For FT? I know that's the program you were hoping for!

Seems Stetson is moving quickly lately...here's hoping it continues for those of us that are still waiting.

NickM54
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:14 am

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby NickM54 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:23 pm

Yes FT. I asked that twice, because it sounded awesome! They are moving quickly and it seems as though they like it when people email them occasionally who are on the WL.

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:30 pm

I've withdrawn and hopefully freed up some $$$ - good luck!

hetherlys
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby hetherlys » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:15 pm

NickM54 wrote:Just got the phone call a few mins ago. I am in! I will decide if I accept (a high probability) tonight. 2.87 156



Congrats!! (You know you're going to say yes :P)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”