Stetson 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shawty18ga

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby shawty18ga » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:44 pm

Well I'm not sure what stats you're referring to. The school stats are all bullcrap. I don't really believe any of them. UF does have better biglaw placement, and I believe FSU probably does, too. But the chances are so low at any of these schools. Lower than 10% chance of biglaw most likely.

The NALP directory reports 109 different offices at UF on campus interview (OCI), 27 for FSU, 53 for Miami, and 29 for Stetson.

Now, this pretty much shows what I expected. UF as a clear leader, and the rest middling, and even UF not so great. The truth is that the majority of students at all of these schools will not get their jobs through OCI, but through networking, connections, and sometimes dumb luck.

I do feel like the majority of students at these schools will get some sort of job. But you are going to need a solid rank most of the time to get a legal job, and many legal jobs start out in the 40-50k range. This is why I wouldn't recommend going into much debt for any of these schools.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:58 pm

interesting point. so does it even pay to go to stetson? Is it worth going to at all? Some people adamantly believe the answer is no. I just cant believe that if stetson is the only show in town(Tampa) that the smart students wouldnt use that opportunity to aggressively network during the 3 years there and tip the scales in their favor. Please evaluate this logic.

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:09 pm

It depends on your financial position. I don't mean to down my school, but there is no way in hell is is worth sticker. Without my full scholly I would not be here. But some people take the gamble and it pays off.

It really depends on what you're looking for as to whether it's worth it or not. I will make 40K/year starting out as a prosecutor. IBR and public service loan forgiveness make it so that I won't ever pay much on my loans, though.

I do believe that the location in Tampa is an advantage. There are more opportunities to network with the professionals in one of Florida's larger legal markets than what you would have in Gainesville. Still, UF is probably the better bet. If you go to law school, you need to make plans to make 40K/year right out of school. Yes, there is a chance that you will hit it big. But there is a chance, even at the schools in the T14, that you will not find a great paying job right out of school. It doesn't mean that you will never make big money though. Some people start out with low paying jobs and then hang a shingle later on and strike gold. Some don't.

This whole thing is a gamble, so if you're going to law school you need to be prepared for what happens if you lose.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:34 pm

im sorry, are you a stetson law student? Why is UF the better bet?

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:49 pm

drummerboy wrote:im sorry, are you a stetson law student? Why is UF the better bet?

I am a Stetson law student. And it's pretty clear why UF is the better bet. It is hard to dispute that it is the best law school in the state, and it's also cheap. The cost plays the bigger factor to me, especially if you're talking sticker at all the options, but career prospects are better as well from what I can tell.

vmiller

Postby vmiller » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:01 am

Just wanted to back up some of positives about Stetson's reputation in Tampa. Both of my parents work in Tampa (one for AAA and one at Pricewaterhouse) and Stetson is a big deal. Many many lawyers in the area went there and look favorably on Stetson candidates over other instate schools. If you are interested in living in Tampa, it is a good choice, but I wouldn't pay sticker. I really agree with trying to only take out loans that someone on 40-50k a year could handle, and then you won't be in the terrible mess that many law grads find themselves in - this is not the right time to take a financial risk like that.

If you can get into FSU or UF, choose it over Stetson sticker.

If you get some money at Stetson, then start thinking about it as a valid option. Everyone at Stetson has been amazingly friendly and helpful to me, and their reputation is strong in one of the stronger legal markets in FL (Tampa).

For those of you looking for financial aid that might have dried up, many people (including myself) are starting to turn down their Stetson schollys. Don't think this hurts the credibility of my above advice, as I was pretty much sold on Stetson until my full ride at Stetson was eclipsed by an unexpected full ride at a top 30 school that I cannot turn down. I would bet that money is going to get cycled back into the system. When I am stuck in freezing cold Midwestern winters I am going to wish I had gone with Stetson. Good luck!

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:33 am

other than cost please explain what the general consensus about stetson versus uf/fsu is among the stetson students and legal community. is it true that stetsons relationship to the immediate tampa community offers unique networking opportunities for the students in the 3 years at Law School?

gotcha

Postby gotcha » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:11 am

drummerboy wrote:other than cost please explain what the general consensus about stetson versus uf/fsu is among the stetson students and legal community. is it true that stetsons relationship to the immediate tampa community offers unique networking opportunities for the students in the 3 years at Law School?

Only if you take advantage of them. It can be a great advantage being around firms where you are looking for internships/employment year round rather than trying to call them from Gainesville.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:37 am

i noticed you got in to all fl schools but almost chose stetson, why? and which midwest school will you be attending? Congrats on you accomplishments!

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:40 pm

What is Tampa like? I like hot weather and beaches. Please tell me pros and cons of Tampa and St. Petersburg and I apologize if this may be a bit off-topic in regard to acceptances, etc. but it isn't as though I could successfully start this topic about Stetson on another forum. Thanks.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:29 am

Tampa/St. Pete is not too bad. In Tampa there are just a few areas worth living in and are w/in 30ish minutes of the beaches. St. Pete is okay, but I feel that their economy is failing at a faster pace than the rest of the region. Basically, live in Tampa and use Pinellas county for its beaches and sun.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:04 am

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:What is Tampa like? I like hot weather and beaches. Please tell me pros and cons of Tampa and St. Petersburg and I apologize if this may be a bit off-topic in regard to acceptances, etc. but it isn't as though I could successfully start this topic about Stetson on another forum. Thanks.

I've lived in Tampa 10 years or so, and Tampa is huge and there are SO many different parts to it. Personally, I loathe South Tampa, which is the side closest to Stetson. When you are a 3L I think you can take all your classes at the Tampa location, and then one should consider living in North Tampa, which is where I live, especially if you are married or have a family. Its all residential up here, but mostly big, nice communities. A schools, pretty, landscaped roads, every restaurant you could imagine, and white-picket-fence type neighborhoods except replace mini-vans with Lexus suvs hah, but you will be driving to school/work. I drive downtown from here in rush hour quite often and its about 40 minutes with traffic. South Tampa is 1/2 awesome as in sweet bars, close proximity to downtown and awesome houses that are VERY VERY expensive, but 1/2 shit as in ghetto, nasty, and the 1/2 that isn't shit is overpriced. The places between South Tampa and North Tampa suck.

St. Petersburg is the same. I have a condo on Gulf Blvd. which I loooove. Tampa is very chain restaurant while in St. Pete you are going to get a lot of authentic mom and pop type places. The water is typically beautiful, sand is white. Some of the beach bars are awesome (the undertow is my personal fav) and not expensive. I don't usually venture to the Gulf Port area that Stetson is on, but I've heard bad things (except I think they have a pretty sweet artsy side). Apparently its the bad part of town in comparison to St. Pete, but you could live at St. Pete and drive to Stetson easily. I'm sure Gulfport isn't thaaaat bad, though.

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:08 am

Gulfport is not all that bad, but the areas around Gulfport are pretty bad. It is still South St. Pete.

For anybody looking for housing in St. Pete, I would avoid the south side. It's pretty gross and a little dangerous. I would stick to streets that have an N after them, except for when you're talking about the area immediately around the school. Golfview is pretty nice.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:11 am

Tampa would be a cool city, if they stopped building so many strip malls, actually made downtown Tampa something more than a construction zone, and got rid of all the beggars with traffic vests. And a lot of other things.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:14 am

Sandro wrote:Tampa would be a cool city, if they stopped building so many strip malls, actually made downtown Tampa something more than a construction zone, and got rid of all the beggars with traffic vests. And a lot of other things.

Ughhh hate the beggars. I think they are going to have to solve that problem sooner or later though. Downtown Tampa sucks in general, IMO. Trafficy, nothing to look at, and its not like other downtowns where it gets poppin at night. All the bars are in one place- Channelside, which is really small. If anyone is used to a place like downtown Orlando where there are a TON of bars on all the streets incorporated into the offices, well... its abs nothing like that.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:16 am

Is it fair to assume that neither of you work for the Tampa-St. Pete Visitors Bureau ?

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:13 pm

Ha ha y'all are hating too hard on Tampa. I really like Tampa and St. Pete for the most part. When I look at Tampa I think of it as a city that really is still developing downtown. Downtown is pretty small, but I think it has a nice feel to it. I'm glad to be working down there this summer. The big thing is that Tampa needs to continue to get more people to live downtown and not just work there and retreat to the suburbs at 5. Tampa has a lot going for it, though, and I think its future looks good.

For most Stetson students, Tampa is pretty much a non-factor most of the time. It's too far away and nobody wants to DD, etc. Most people go out in St. Pete more. Downtown St. Pete is a lot of fun. A short cab ride and you're there, and then you can walk from bar to bar with no problem. We also like to go out to the beach bars. I'm about to go to Caddy's actually. Gonna be a lot of Stetson students out there today.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:15 pm

If you havent lived/liked living in a big city, Tampa will probably be fine for you.

If you have, you'll find it lacking in many aspects.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:21 pm

I currently live in Pittsburgh, which is not a big city. It is cold a lot of the year, which I detest. I love Florida in general and when I was little, my family and I used to vacation in Florida (foundest memories). My mother and father both loved Florida too. My mom passed away from cancer this summer and I just felt like maybe I need a change. Stetson seems interesting and sort of cool although I know it is not ranked the best - but basically, if I don't get into my top choice, I will seriously consider Stetson (if I get in there). Stetson recruited me and I don't know, it just seems like the move may be what I need in my life. Sorry for my life story here, but thanks to all who responded about how they like the area.

CP2323

Postby CP2323 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:22 pm

I have lived in the Tampa Bay area since 1994. I would agree that Pinellas is better suited for visiting and using the beaches. The cost of living is higher in Pinellas then most of Tampa. East of Tampa is a lot cheaper especially if you get past Brandon but then you will have an hour plus ride to the campus.

NickM54

Postby NickM54 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:26 pm

Did anyone else have a "decision made, email sent" status update today? Does this generally bode good or ill one way or the other?

NickM54

Postby NickM54 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:09 pm

It was a WL. Does anyone know if I have to submit a seat deposit to remain on the WL? I know I have to email them by a certain date and let them know I am interested. Also, is anyone else on the WL?

LawBound11

Postby LawBound11 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:16 pm

NickM54 wrote:It was a WL. Does anyone know if I have to submit a seat deposit to remain on the WL? I know I have to email them by a certain date and let them know I am interested. Also, is anyone else on the WL?

Do you mind if I ask your numbers? I just recently applied here (not yet complete, though.)

Is the process as slow going as the original email indicates? Most of my other schools have gone complete and under review within 2 weeks of submission; this one said it can take 4-6 weeks to even be complete.

doubleL

Postby doubleL » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:20 pm

NickM54 wrote:Did anyone else have a "decision made, email sent" status update today? Does this generally bode good or ill one way or the other?

For me, that meant an email with a waitlist decision.

doubleL

Postby doubleL » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:20 pm

doubleL wrote:
NickM54 wrote:Did anyone else have a "decision made, email sent" status update today? Does this generally bode good or ill one way or the other?

For me, that meant an email with a waitlist decision.

Sorry didn't read further.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”