Stetson 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
richis7

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby richis7 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:56 pm

Take this for what it is worth, but I spoke to admissions today asking the time frame for scholarships and was told that all the $ had been given out, and that they would be waiting to see who turned down their offers before sending out any more scholarship info.

The lady said they might have a better idea in a week of who else they could offer money to...

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:00 pm

im visiting tomorrow. ill try to get more info

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:42 pm

richis7 wrote:Take this for what it is worth, but I spoke to admissions today asking the time frame for scholarships and was told that all the $ had been given out, and that they would be waiting to see who turned down their offers before sending out any more scholarship info.

The lady said they might have a better idea in a week of who else they could offer money to...

I've heard that if you can get AIDS from the drinking water in Gulfport. Just sayin.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:45 pm

withdrew recently.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:46 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
richis7 wrote:Take this for what it is worth, but I spoke to admissions today asking the time frame for scholarships and was told that all the $ had been given out, and that they would be waiting to see who turned down their offers before sending out any more scholarship info.

I've heard that if you can get AIDS from the drinking water in Gulfport. Just sayin.

If you can then what?

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:47 pm

Inappropiate response

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:40 pm

Sandro wrote:withdrew recently.

Did you have $?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:06 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:

Did you have $?

No which kind of surprised me but not a big deal.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:17 pm

Sandro wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:

Did you have $?

No which kind of surprised me but not a big deal.

Not sure they are being kind to splitters this year.

Maybe I wouldn't either. Medians aren't improved anymore by a 175 LSAT than a 158 LSAT. Why not give money to someone who is above both their medians? It makes more sense from a gaming the rankings standpoint than to take someone who is way above one median but under the other.

With Stetson out of the top 100 and off into Tier 3, perhaps they are focusing on rankings for next year.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:21 pm

I mean yea, it was probably obvious that with a 167 even with my low GPA I wasn't going to end up at Stetson. Smart move on their part probably. a 167 doesnt help than any more than a 160 does

richis7

Postby richis7 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:57 am

mrwarre85 wrote:

I assume that you heard that from the admissions office, as that is the only way that your analogy/ attempt at douchebaggery would hold.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:30 pm

So is there some type of admitted scholars day or something?

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:40 pm

Haven't heard anything about ASD.

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:29 pm

Barbie wrote:So is there some type of admitted scholars day or something?

I think it was toward the end of March last year.

Btw, I'm a Stetson 1L. Feel free to ask questions. I will attempt to answer them.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:43 pm

shawty18ga wrote:
Barbie wrote:So is there some type of admitted scholars day or something?

I think it was toward the end of March last year.

Btw, I'm a Stetson 1L. Feel free to ask questions. I will attempt to answer them.

Admitted students day or admitted scholars? I heard that Stetson has a special event for people offered a lot of $$. This may just be BS hah

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:51 pm

The general admitted students day was in March. I think the scholar's retreat (for people with full schollies) was in February. I went to both. Took two visits to convince me to come.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:36 pm

shawty18ga wrote:The general admitted students day was in March. I think the scholar's retreat (for people with full schollies) was in February. I went to both. Took two visits to convince me to come.

:cry: My scholarship is 30k/year. I hope that event includes me.. :(

Since you're here, could you tell me what schools you chose Stetson over, why, and how hard you feel it has been to keep your scholarship (what is the curve?)

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:21 pm

Barbie wrote:
shawty18ga wrote:The general admitted students day was in March. I think the scholar's retreat (for people with full schollies) was in February. I went to both. Took two visits to convince me to come.

Since you're here, could you tell me what schools you chose Stetson over, why, and how hard you feel it has been to keep your scholarship (what is the curve?)

I think the scholar's retreat only includes actual full tuition scholarships. You got a strange scholarship amount. I know full, full+5k stipend, and half scholarship people. Never heard of the 30k. That only leaves you with 3k tuition, though, correct? Might as well be a full ride except for the scholar's retreat. Honestly, I didn't particularly enjoy the retreat. Too much BS. You aren't missing much.

Now, as to the schools that got beat out by Stetson. I considered Cincinnati with a half scholly, Baylor with a full ride, LSU with a 2/3 scholarship, UGA with instate tuition, and a good many other schools that I don't remember. I considered a lot of schools but it came down to Stetson and UGA. I grew up near UGA and I love the school and the area. I really thought I was going to go there, but money and career goals made the decision for me.

I want to be a prosecutor, and Florida has more opportunities than Georgia in that field because of the larger population. Also, I didn't want a lot of debt, because I know I will only make ~40K/year starting out. Also, as you already know, law school is graded on a curve. Frankly, I felt like my chances of ranking well were better at Stetson than at UGA. You can debate the predictive value of the LSAT and uGPA, but I think there is a decent correlation between them and law school performance.

The stipulation for my scholarship is top 50%, and it seems pretty easy to maintain. I think most people keep it. FWIW, I did not put too much effort into my studies compared to some of my classmates and I ended up higher than top 25%. Stetson's first year classes must have an average between 2.9 and 3.1. The curves aren't the same for different classes either. My crim law professor did not give out any 4.0's.

To those of you who do not have scholarships: don't fret. I know there are plenty of people who got little or no money who are ranked higher than I am. They worked harder than I did, so they deserve it.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:52 pm

shawty18ga wrote:
Barbie wrote:

I think the scholar's retreat only includes actual full tuition scholarships. You got a strange scholarship amount. I know full, full+5k stipend, and half scholarship people. Never heard of the 30k. That only leaves you with 3k tuition, though, correct? Might as well be a full ride except for the scholar's retreat. Honestly, I didn't particularly enjoy the retreat. Too much BS. You aren't missing much.

Now, as to the schools that got beat out by Stetson. I considered Cincinnati with a half scholly, Baylor with a full ride, LSU with a 2/3 scholarship, UGA with instate tuition, and a good many other schools that I don't remember. I considered a lot of schools but it came down to Stetson and UGA. I grew up near UGA and I love the school and the area. I really thought I was going to go there, but money and career goals made the decision for me.

I want to be a prosecutor, and Florida has more opportunities than Georgia in that field because of the larger population. Also, I didn't want a lot of debt, because I know I will only make ~40K/year starting out. Also, as you already know, law school is graded on a curve. Frankly, I felt like my chances of ranking well were better at Stetson than at UGA. You can debate the predictive value of the LSAT and uGPA, but I think there is a decent correlation between them and law school performance.

The stipulation for my scholarship is top 50%, and it seems pretty easy to maintain. I think most people keep it. FWIW, I did not put too much effort into my studies compared to some of my classmates and I ended up higher than top 25%. Stetson's first year classes must have an average between 2.9 and 3.1. The curves aren't the same for different classes either. My crim law professor did not give out any 4.0's.

To those of you who do not have scholarships: don't fret. I know there are plenty of people who got little or no money who are ranked higher than I am. They worked harder than I did, so they deserve it.

Thanks. Yeah mine is 30k/year (they are waiving the $500 confirmation fee) and contingint on my staying in the top 50% as well. My other options that I'm srsly considering as of right now are UF @ sticker (hoping this will change) and FSU with 20k/year, both in state tuition. 3k a year is seriously cheap to get a legal education... and I'm actually from Tampa, live here now and so does my entire family. My fiance just landed a good job here with great benefits (but it CAN transfer with some work) and he is in love with the men's rugby team here because they are nat'l champions and that is pretty much his thing. I'm just worried about employment prospects afterward, as compared to FSU and UF. I know everyone is struggling right now, though.

That is a pretty scary curve :shock: especially the 2.9 side. I am pretty bummed I don't get to come to the retreat! Maybe if 30k/year is a new thing they will invite us? :D I know another person ITT has the same offer, but I didn't see it in last years thread I don't remember.

Any advice you would have

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:09 pm

Well you have a tough decision. Stetson was the only school in Florida I applied to. I knew I wouldn't get in state at Florida or FSU, and I didn't want to be in Miami (after all these four are the only real options in Florida).

It sounds like you have a lot of reasons to stay in the Tampa area. What are your career ambitions?

I don't know a whole lot about job prospects. I know people who graduated at the very top last year and got great jobs. I hear stories of people struggling as well. I do feel like Stetson people are in as good a position as most anybody in the Tampa area. UF probably has some kind of edge. I don't know why people in this state think Florida is on the same level as Harvard.

The people I know who went for prosecution jobs were successful. A lot of that is showing interest by interning and doing the prosecution clinic.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:42 pm

Does the student body silently root for Stetson to pull back into the 2nd tier? Stetson was the only school out of the top two tiers that I applied to but it does bother me a bit. Well I think what bothers me more is that I've gotten three scholarships from tier 2 schools and nothing from Stetson. I guess. But anyway, thoughts?

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:02 pm

Yeah we would all be happy if Stetson made it into the top 100. At the same time, I think most of us realize that there's no significant difference between a school 75-100 and tier 3 school. If you compare our numbers with the numbers of some schools ahead of us, I think you'll see that Stetson compares favorably.

Stetson is a good choice for Florida, particularly the Tampa Area. It seems to carry all right to Orlando as well. That said, do not come here expecting biglaw. You will need to graduate in the top 5% for biglaw.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:28 pm

Stetson is fully capable of moving into the Top 100 law schools. Not sure why it isn't there already.

KCBUFF

Postby KCBUFF » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:56 am

Did we get anymore confirmations on them not having anymore scholarship money?

richis7

Postby richis7 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:35 pm

KCBUFF wrote:Did we get anymore confirmations on them not having anymore scholarship money?

I'd just give them a call and see what you can get out of them.

I plan to withdraw later this week, hope someone on here that was wait listed or hasn't heard gets my spot.

Good luck!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”