Stetson 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Barbie

Re: Stetson 2011 Applicants

Postby Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:16 pm

swflgirl wrote:I visited stetson on Friday. Have to say that what I saw of Gulfport was sketchy, so sketchy that I would call it ghetto. the girl who was the tourguide said she lived in downtown st. pete which is just a few minute drive. I went there and realized I had been there to visit a friend at resort there in june. its nice. she said most people live out at the beach or in downtown st. pete. I talked to the housing lady and the school owns an apartment complex and some houses very near the school. I guess there aren't a lot of classes on friday, so the campus seemed really empty. Everything I saw was very nice and the staff I talked to were great. I have nothing to compare my visit to, because stetson was my first visit. I will tell you that you probably won't see a scholarship unless you hit a 165 on the lsat. At least that was my understanding. the numbers I was given make it a very pricey choice. tampa is too far away, I think for practical communting but thats just my opinion.

Mer.. I got 30k/year with my 163 and lowish GPA, so I don't know about that haha.

CanadianWolf- I can't provide those, but I wouldn't spend much of my time there anyways. Campus is nice and you can see it on the website, but you would probably want to live more in St.Pete (easy commute, and Stetson has tons of parking) anyways. Tampa is a pretty far commute that I could only see justified by having a SO getting paid the big bucks to work downtown, because traffic is AWFUL.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:41 pm

I got a fee waiver today so I applied. Barbie, do you know where Port Charlotte is? That's where I used to live (in the 90's, so idk what it's like now). Still have family in the area, so Stetson is a good choice for me if UF/FSU don't bite.

jdwishes

Postby jdwishes » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:16 pm

Hey Guys...looking for feedback or anything to calm my nerves as Stetson is killing me with their painfully long decision process. I've applied to an inordinate amount of schools (32 - many were fee waivers) and I've already received 12 acceptances; however, Stetson was my first app submitted back on 12/21/10 and I've heard nothing.

As much as I tell myself not to freak, Stetson is my number one choice because of their Trial Adv. concentration. Here's the deal: last week I got accepted to U of Miami, obviously better ranked than Stetson, but looking at LSN's numbers and profiles, I feel like I may get rejected at Stetson. I've seen people get waitlisted at Miami and flat out rejected at Stetson. What gives? Schollys and sticker price aside, anyone have any thoughts on WHEN I will hear something and my prospects of getting in? (155/3.57)

CONGRATS to all of you who have been accepted!

richis7

Postby richis7 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:25 pm

jdwishes wrote:Hey Guys...looking for feedback or anything to calm my nerves as Stetson is killing me with their painfully long decision process. I've applied to an inordinate amount of schools (32 - many were fee waivers) and I've already received 12 acceptances; however, Stetson was my first app submitted back on 12/21/10 and I've heard nothing.

As much as I tell myself not to freak, Stetson is my number one choice because of their Trial Adv. concentration. Here's the deal: last week I got accepted to U of Miami, obviously better ranked than Stetson, but looking at LSN's numbers and profiles, I feel like I may get rejected at Stetson. I've seen people get waitlisted at Miami and flat out rejected at Stetson. What gives? Schollys and sticker price aside, anyone have any thoughts on WHEN I will hear something and my prospects of getting in? (155/3.57)

I applied about the same time as you and I was accepted the friday before last (around the 21st). I am above 75% lsat, so that could be why I was accepted earlier.

Just looking at LSN from the people who were already accepted, I think it is hard to say. There is one person who has your numbers who got wait listed, and other person with close to your numbers who was accepted, so to me that is a toss up.

I have talked to the admissions staff down there, so you may want to call tomorrow and just see what is going on, they were helpful when I talked to them.

Good luck!

taylor247

Postby taylor247 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:44 pm

Just emailed asking for a fee waiver...167 and 3.5 so I hope they give me one this late in the game.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:54 pm

got in jan 21 via email received package today via snail mail no scholly info. wonder if its sent later or am i screwwed.

richis7

Postby richis7 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:18 pm

drummerboy wrote:got in jan 21 via email received package today via snail mail no scholly info. wonder if its sent later or am i screwwed.

I didnt get scholly info either. From reading the thread it looks like they fed ex you scholarship information separately from the packet we got today. It also said on one of the papers in the admission folder that all admitted students will be considered for scholarships, which I took to mean your file is passed around again for scholarship consideration.

Not sure about your numbers, but from looking at Law School Numbers I think I should get something, so I wouldn't worry about not getting scholarship info with your admissions package today. I think they just do the two mailings at different times... seems like a waste of postage to me, but whatever.

jdwishes

Postby jdwishes » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:26 pm

richis7 wrote:
jdwishes wrote:Hey Guys...looking for feedback or anything to calm my nerves as Stetson is killing me with their painfully long decision process. I've applied to an inordinate amount of schools (32 - many were fee waivers) and I've already received 12 acceptances; however, Stetson was my first app submitted back on 12/21/10 and I've heard nothing.

I applied about the same time as you and I was accepted the friday before last (around the 21st). I am above 75% lsat, so that could be why I was accepted earlier.

Just looking at LSN from the people who were already accepted, I think it is hard to say. There is one person who has your numbers who got wait listed, and other person with close to your numbers who was accepted, so to me that is a toss up.

I have talked to the admissions staff down there, so you may want to call tomorrow and just see what is going on, they were helpful when I talked to them.

Good luck!

Yeah, I've talked to a few other LSN Miami/Stetson candidates who don't know what to make of Stetson's decisions either (in or waitlisted at Miami, but rejected at Stetson). It does feel like a toss up. Thanks for your insight; I will give them a call or send an email to reaffirm my interest.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:59 pm

jdwishes wrote:
richis7 wrote:I applied about the same time as you and I was accepted the friday before last (around the 21st). I am above 75% lsat, so that could be why I was accepted earlier.

Good luck!

Yeah, I've talked to a few other LSN Miami/Stetson candidates who don't know what to make of Stetson's decisions either (in or waitlisted at Miami, but rejected at Stetson). It does feel like a toss up. Thanks for your insight; I will give them a call or send an email to reaffirm my interest.

Unfortunately, Stetson was knocked out of the top 100 last year, so they are surely trying to up their numbers and jump back up to the T2s.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:20 pm

hopefully that doesnt effect their scholarship decisions

richis7

Postby richis7 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:30 pm

drummerboy wrote:hopefully that doesnt effect their scholarship decisions

I think it will in so far as better applicants accepted means better numbers to compete against, so numbers that would have gotten you a scholarship last year might not be quite good enough this year (unless they found more money to hand out), but who knows.

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes them to get scholarship info out after you are accepted? Stetson is really about my last choice, so unless they are offering close to a full ride I will probably be withdrawing, even though gulfport/ st. pete is one of my favorite places to visit.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:25 am

richis7 wrote:
drummerboy wrote:hopefully that doesnt effect their scholarship decisions

I think it will in so far as better applicants accepted means better numbers to compete against, so numbers that would have gotten you a scholarship last year might not be quite good enough this year (unless they found more money to hand out), but who knows.

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes them to get scholarship info out after you are accepted? Stetson is really about my last choice, so unless they are offering close to a full ride I will probably be withdrawing, even though gulfport/ st. pete is one of my favorite places to visit.

What are your #s?

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:55 am

heres a new question: did anyones stetson package contain the dean of admissions Zuppo business card with the word congratulations scribbled in ink on top? Nice touch.

HenryDavid

Postby HenryDavid » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:19 pm

drummerboy wrote:heres a new question: did anyones stetson package contain the dean of admissions Zuppo business card with the word congratulations scribbled in ink on top? Nice touch.

Laura Zuppo is awesome!

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:22 pm

Still no Fedex/Scholarship info.... Funny how a T30 can give me 120k and a T3 nothing :shock: But I understand why.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:32 pm

same here still waiting. well did congrats come on initial business card? Just curious. Curiosity gets the better part of me when I await my fate!

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:35 pm

drummerboy wrote:same here still waiting. well did congrats come on initial business card? Just curious. Curiosity gets the better part of me when I await my fate!

lol. Yes it did.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:46 pm

keep in touch

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:23 pm

Sandro wrote:Still no Fedex/Scholarship info.... Funny how a T30 can give me 120k and a T3 nothing :shock: But I understand why.

You can't run around comparing Indiana's HUGE endowment they've come into to every other school. Even T3s dont have it :)

fiery_searcher

Postby fiery_searcher » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:12 am

This has been the hardest one to cut loose, but I have to go with my gut. Best of luck to all still hoping to get in. Enjoy the beautiful campus near the wonderful Gulf beaches.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:18 pm

just got scholly offer via fed ex 10,000/year stipulation maintain good academic standing no specific gpa mentioned will be visiting on monday

tator tot

Postby tator tot » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:31 pm

drummerboy wrote:just got scholly offer via fed ex 10,000/year stipulation maintain good academic standing no specific gpa mentioned will be visiting on monday

what are your numbers?

Mattfl88

Postby Mattfl88 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:51 pm

I received an email from Stetson on 1/27 saying they received my application but have not heard back from them since. Does the process of them receiving the application and the application becoming complete (and me receiving a status checker) usually take a couple of weeks?

richis7

Postby richis7 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:54 pm

Mattfl88 wrote:I received an email from Stetson on 1/27 saying they received my application but have not heard back from them since. Does the process of them receiving the application and the application becoming complete (and me receiving a status checker) usually take a couple of weeks?

Stetson was pretty slow for me in terms of getting a status checker/ going complete.

You should be getting it any day now, if not I would call them.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:59 pm

i got my acceptance response via email on jan 21 then snail mail package 1 week later than scholly offer today via fedex. good luck to you all.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”