vandy interview - not requesting one

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

vandy interview - not requesting one

Postby MissLucky » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:55 pm

does it look bad to not request an interview? the main reason I can't request one is that i'll likely be out of country for all of december (but they don't know that) AND i really don't want my application's review to be delayed as they have to wait for the interviewer's report before even getting to my app.

would this really hurt my application?

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: vandy interview - not requesting one

Postby artichoke » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:59 pm

MissLucky wrote:does it look bad to not request an interview? the main reason I can't request one is that i'll likely be out of country for all of december (but they don't know that) AND i really don't want my application's review to be delayed as they have to wait for the interviewer's report before even getting to my app.

would this really hurt my application?


I don't know, I assumed it would and requested one even though it's a pain in the ass. They let you do phone interviews OR skype, which you could definitely do out of the country.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: vandy interview - not requesting one

Postby Dany » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:04 pm

Can you not do one in November? My interviewer scheduled with me extremely quickly - I met with her maybe a little over a week after hearing from her (which was just a few days after requesting one.)

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: vandy interview - not requesting one

Postby artichoke » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:06 pm

eskimo wrote:Can you not do one in November? My interviewer scheduled with me extremely quickly - I met with her maybe a little over a week after hearing from her (which was just a few days after requesting one.)


+1

This also. I heard back the following day and scheduled for two days later.

MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: vandy interview - not requesting one

Postby MissLucky » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:08 pm

eskimo wrote:Can you not do one in November? My interviewer scheduled with me extremely quickly - I met with her maybe a little over a week after hearing from her (which was just a few days after requesting one.)


ah, good call. i think I am just anal about late apps, but I guess the negative of getting reviewed several weeks later than I would have gotten reviewed were I to not have had an interview is offset by at least having had the interview, right?

GentlemanJim
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:59 pm

Re: vandy interview - not requesting one

Postby GentlemanJim » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:30 am

I have the same problem. Out of the country until July, and I didn't want to delay my app (or do a phone interview, which is kind of a weak substitute, imo).

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: vandy interview - not requesting one

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:33 am

I know my interviewer had one scheduled with someone in the military stationed in Afghanistan over skype/AIM (she wasn't sure yet). I think if that person could make it happen you could too.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4862
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: vandy interview - not requesting one

Postby Borhas » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:34 pm

MissLucky wrote:does it look bad to not request an interview? the main reason I can't request one is that i'll likely be out of country for all of december (but they don't know that) AND i really don't want my application's review to be delayed as they have to wait for the interviewer's report before even getting to my app.

would this really hurt my application?


interviews are just so that alumni feel important, pretty sure adcomms don't care

jamiLAW
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:13 pm

Re: vandy interview - not requesting one

Postby jamiLAW » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:12 pm

^ I disagree. Do you want to put yourself in a position where your application is being considered among people with similar gpa/LSAT, but they have positive interview remarks and you don't?

Almost everything I have read about interviews says they can make a difference.

User avatar
T6Hopeful
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: vandy interview - not requesting one

Postby T6Hopeful » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:44 pm

I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, but I figured posting here would be better than starting a new one.

I requested an interview on the 7th, still haven't been contacted by my interviewer. I emailed them on the 22nd and received an almost immediate turnaround with an apology, stating that my interview was, in fact, assigned, and that they have reached out to the interviewer to respond as soon as possible.

So relating back to this thread, at this point I would rather not have requested one, if it was going to delay my app by up to a month.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: vandy interview - not requesting one

Postby Kabuo » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:56 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, but I figured posting here would be better than starting a new one.

I requested an interview on the 7th, still haven't been contacted by my interviewer. I emailed them on the 22nd and received an almost immediate turnaround with an apology, stating that my interview was, in fact, assigned, and that they have reached out to the interviewer to respond as soon as possible.

So relating back to this thread, at this point I would rather not have requested one, if it was going to delay my app by up to a month.


Sorry, that sucks. As a counterpoint to this though, I requested my interview on the 18th, was contacted on the 19th, and finished my interview on the 22nd. So, unsurprisingly, it seems to just depend on the alum.

User avatar
T6Hopeful
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: vandy interview - not requesting one

Postby T6Hopeful » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:12 pm

Kabuo wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, but I figured posting here would be better than starting a new one.

I requested an interview on the 7th, still haven't been contacted by my interviewer. I emailed them on the 22nd and received an almost immediate turnaround with an apology, stating that my interview was, in fact, assigned, and that they have reached out to the interviewer to respond as soon as possible.

So relating back to this thread, at this point I would rather not have requested one, if it was going to delay my app by up to a month.


Sorry, that sucks. As a counterpoint to this though, I requested my interview on the 18th, was contacted on the 19th, and finished my interview on the 22nd. So, unsurprisingly, it seems to just depend on the alum.


Yeah, you're definitely right, but I had a strange feeling after a few days that I might be in it for the long haul. And unfortunately the two weeks they give you before you should recontact them about not having had contact with an interviewer, happened to fall right before Thanksgiving. Of course I didn't know this would happen, and my numbers, while not auto-admit by any means, give me a little cushion from the delay. So all's well that end's well, and here's hoping to a big FedEx package sooner rather than later :D

User avatar
plt06
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:44 pm

Re: vandy interview - not requesting one

Postby plt06 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:50 am

Given that very few law schools actually have interviews structured into their admissions process, I would STRONGLY recommend that you do the interview if possible. Setting mine up was easy and really convenient actually, I did mine in Richmond (I'm in Williamsburg), and it was a very pleasant experience. They do a great job with selecting alumni reps to do interviews and with the directions they give them. Basically they just want to get a sense of how you might interact with classmates (they want to see if you're personable, can carry yourself well, etc.).

User avatar
T6Hopeful
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: vandy interview - not requesting one

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:03 am

plt06 wrote:Given that very few law schools actually have interviews structured into their admissions process, I would STRONGLY recommend that you do the interview if possible. Setting mine up was easy and really convenient actually, I did mine in Richmond (I'm in Williamsburg), and it was a very pleasant experience. They do a great job with selecting alumni reps to do interviews and with the directions they give them. Basically they just want to get a sense of how you might interact with classmates (they want to see if you're personable, can carry yourself well, etc.).


Well again I would agree with that, but it's a little ridiculous that I STILL haven't been contacted by my interviewer (see above, I requested on the 7th). I have submitted my app, but delaying it's completion by almost a month during this part of the year is a little unfair, since I have been ready and waiting.

User avatar
plt06
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:44 pm

Re: vandy interview - not requesting one

Postby plt06 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:29 pm

I wouldn't give up until you've exhausted all your options in contacting the admissions department and trying to work this out. You are one of thousands of applicants and the interview is the opportunity for face time and it can be a real point of differentiation. Whether or not its fair or if you feel like you're being treated well is irrelevant, that's just the way it is.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blackpi, finaciardi, Google [Bot], hip to be Square and 10 guests