Loyola LA 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
lalalawya
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby lalalawya » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:03 pm

Fwiw, just talked to admissions. They said they have already started admitting people from the wait list.

User avatar
Shammis
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby Shammis » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:28 pm

Thanks for the update lalala...I hope we hear something soon!

User avatar
Artemis
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 11:52 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby Artemis » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:32 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Danteshek wrote:You guys are stressing me out.

You do realize you're free to stop reading at any time, right?


I second what vanwinkle said, though I am a fan of other things you have written on TLS, Dante. This thread is for those interested in entering Loyola this fall. Let them vent about being on the waitlist if they want to. Much of TLS is full of that anyway. If they "stress you out" then stop reading and read another thread - perhaps one that is for students already in law school, since you are a rising 3L now. There is no point in discouraging people.
FWIW, I know someone who got into Loyola full-time with a 3.1/162 last year and he was not on the waitlist. It is largely a numbers game, but not entirely. For those who are still waitlisted, hang on and don't be discouraged. It isn't over yet.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby Danteshek » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:12 pm

The process is fair BECAUSE it is a numbers game. I would not have it any other way. Borderline candidates can always retake to improve their prospects.

User avatar
lalalawya
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby lalalawya » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:11 am

Artemis wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Danteshek wrote:You guys are stressing me out.

You do realize you're free to stop reading at any time, right?


I second what vanwinkle said, though I am a fan of other things you have written on TLS, Dante. This thread is for those interested in entering Loyola this fall. Let them vent about being on the waitlist if they want to. Much of TLS is full of that anyway. If they "stress you out" then stop reading and read another thread - perhaps one that is for students already in law school, since you are a rising 3L now. There is no point in discouraging people.
FWIW, I know someone who got into Loyola full-time with a 3.1/162 last year and he was not on the waitlist. It is largely a numbers game, but not entirely. For those who are still waitlisted, hang on and don't be discouraged. It isn't over yet.

I like you.


Danteshek wrote:The process is fair BECAUSE it is a numbers game. I would not have it any other way. Borderline candidates can always retake to improve their prospects.

I don't like you.

By, the way, I am one of the people who was accepted despite lower numbers. I was admitted into a school where I was at the 25% for GPA and BELOW the 25% for LSAT. I guess numbers aren't the only thing schools are concerned with.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:44 pm

URM?

User avatar
lalalawya
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby lalalawya » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:50 pm

Danteshek wrote:URM?

Nope! Just out of UG, and didn't send loci's, just replied to their survey.

chenalex
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 4:20 am

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby chenalex » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:47 pm

On LSN, the only people who got accepted with my numbers were URM, which I'm not. I'm slightly above median for LSAT but wayyyy below the 25% for GPA... lol TBH, I was surprised I was waitlisted. Now, I'm just hoping another miracle will happen.

User avatar
Artemis
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 11:52 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby Artemis » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:58 pm

Danteshek wrote:The process is fair BECAUSE it is a numbers game. I would not have it any other way. Borderline candidates can always retake to improve their prospects.


It isn't just a numbers game. URM candidates get in with lower numbers. And if it were just a numbers game, there wouldn't be personal statements, letters of rec, addenda, resumes. While those things are worth less than the numbers, they are at least worth something and in some instances can give a boost to some applicants, even those who are not URM.
Dante, just because you didn't get in the first time doesn't mean you should discourage others who still have hope of getting in. It really does not reflect well on you. If by early/mid-August they still have not gotten in, then they can go your route and attempt to transfer if Loyola still remains their number 1 choice.

User avatar
Artemis
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 11:52 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby Artemis » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:07 pm

Danteshek wrote:The process is fair BECAUSE it is a numbers game. I would not have it any other way. Borderline candidates can always retake to improve their prospects.


Oh, and even if it was a pure numbers game, that doesn't necessarily render it a "fair" process. Candidates come from hundreds of different universities with different grading standards (think grade inflation). Also, candidates have different majors. How can one really evaluate a 4.0 earned in a major such as English with a 4.0 earned in Electrical Engineering (where the major's curve is set at a 2.5 at many schools)? And yet, because of the nature of the process and the fact that there aren't "core pre-reqs" for law school as there are for medical school, all GPAs are weighed equally.

And if you argue that the LSAT is fair, consider that anything can happen on an LSAT administration date. Somebody could get less sleep, somebody could be going through challenging personal circumstances (ie - their father might have just passed away). Somebody could have had a terrible testing center next to a loud freeway. Somebody could experience an earthquake during the test (happened to me). Honestly, a bunch of things can go wrong on test day. This does not make someone more or less qualified than another candidate.

Because it is so subjective, and because numbers themselves are subjective, a more holistic approach is necessary to evaluate candidates. While law schools don't truly embrace a holistic approach, at least they still allow candidates' experiences speak for themselves in some way, even if small.

If schools insist on pure numbers, I think they risk garnering mediocre candidates who just chose easy majors and got lucky on test day. But then again, schools really just want to boost their US News rankings so they will continue this process of admitting based on mostly numbers. I won't even start getting into how flawed the methodology behind those rankings is....

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:29 pm

The way I see it, every applicant has a responsibility to maximize his LSAT score. I have little sympathy for applicants who have borderline scores and do not retake. Every subpar applicant who gets admitted hurts Loyola's ranking and the school's correspondent position in the hierarchy. Sad, but true.

cubsma
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby cubsma » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:48 pm

Dante,
I think your opinions re: admissions numbers are something to be discussed with Loyola Admissions not prospective WL's who are hoping to get in and looking for camaraderie from other prospects on this thread. I don't know what pleasure you are getting from lurking this thread and telling people they have no chance. Your time would be better served on the thread for new admits telling them what to expect this year. IMHO!

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:15 pm

Point taken. Call me jaded.

User avatar
Artemis
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 11:52 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby Artemis » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:37 pm

cubsma wrote:Dante,
I think your opinions re: admissions numbers are something to be discussed with Loyola Admissions not prospective WL's who are hoping to get in and looking for camaraderie from other prospects on this thread. I don't know what pleasure you are getting from lurking this thread and telling people they have no chance. Your time would be better served on the thread for new admits telling them what to expect this year. IMHO!


+1

User avatar
Artemis
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 11:52 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby Artemis » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:39 pm

Artemis wrote:
cubsma wrote:Dante,
I think your opinions re: admissions numbers are something to be discussed with Loyola Admissions not prospective WL's who are hoping to get in and looking for camaraderie from other prospects on this thread. I don't know what pleasure you are getting from lurking this thread and telling people they have no chance. Your time would be better served on the thread for new admits telling them what to expect this year. IMHO!


+1

Dante, you already attend Loyola. You are on the other side of the glass ceiling already. And honestly, instead of discouraging prospective students you should feel honored that your school is attractive enough for applicants to stay on the wait list and hold out hope of getting in. And yes, as cubsma said, go help out future 1Ls who have already gotten in.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby Danteshek » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:00 pm

Ok. I apologize.

david787
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby david787 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:22 pm

typo, sorry

sclatin2000
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:10 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby sclatin2000 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:44 pm

All this being said....Who's ready for some WL movement this week!? I know I am :D

david787
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby david787 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:40 pm

I'm ready, I'm thinking end of this week or early next, any other theories?

User avatar
Shammis
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby Shammis » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:53 pm

I'd just really like to know where I am going to be in 2 months...lol. As I am sure is the same for everyone...if I here anything Ill post it asap. The. Wait. Is. Killing. Me

david787
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby david787 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:23 pm

2 months? More like 1 right?

User avatar
Shammis
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby Shammis » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:49 pm

david787 wrote:2 months? More like 1 right?
shhhhhh, the illusion of having more time to pack/move/prepare to be a social recluse was helping me...Im either living near DT LA or near Malibu and I need to start looking for a place soon...gahhhh just let me know!

david787
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby david787 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:25 pm

Tell me about it, it's crazy!

User avatar
lalalawya
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby lalalawya » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:54 am

sclatin2000 wrote:All this being said....Who's ready for some WL movement this week!? I know I am :D

There has already been movement. I called Loyola last week and they said that they have already started accepting people from the waitlist. I guess we just aren't the ones seeing the movement :(.

stowhat
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:57 am

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby stowhat » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Just withdrew my spot and some $$. Good luck to those of you still waiting!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”