Loyola LA 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Judge Philip Banks

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:04 am

Puttanesca wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:Just curious where those that are withdrawing with their $87k scholarships are considering now. UCLA or USC? Somewhere else?

USC with 15K/year

Awesome - congrats on that!

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:37 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:
Puttanesca wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:Just curious where those that are withdrawing with their $87k scholarships are considering now. UCLA or USC? Somewhere else?

USC with 15K/year

Thanks! Where are you headed in the fall?

EK14

Postby EK14 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:14 pm

Still COMPLETE.... FU LLS. now let me in. :twisted:

gfunkera86

Postby gfunkera86 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:41 pm

In at loyola and pepperdine at 87k a piece. Waitlist at ucla, still no word from usc

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:21 pm

OMG I applied in November and I just realized I applied to evening/day instead of day/evening, argh................................................what do i do now

barklm

Postby barklm » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:27 pm

red_alertz wrote:OMG I applied in November and I just realized I applied to evening/day instead of day/evening, argh................................................what do i do now

Write and/or call as soon as possible! The sooner you let them know the better your chances are.

Bravo on the catch btw - some may never have noticed!

volcom_sig

Postby volcom_sig » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:31 pm

just got waitlisted today. boo. loyola is my #1 and requires a 2,000 mile move so i'm really hoping i hear some good news soon.

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:48 pm

barklm wrote:
red_alertz wrote:OMG I applied in November and I just realized I applied to evening/day instead of day/evening, argh................................................what do i do now

Write and/or call as soon as possible! The sooner you let them know the better your chances are.

Bravo on the catch btw - some may never have noticed!

thank you for the info, Loyola is one of my top choices and sort of a reach, really hope it's not too late

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:49 pm

gfunkera86 wrote:In at loyola and pepperdine at 87k a piece. Waitlist at ucla, still no word from usc

Interesting. Looks like they are coordinating scholarship offers

szimmerman

Postby szimmerman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:53 pm

My decision letter was mailed on Friday, April 1st...I go to Loyola Marymount in LA so it's a super short distance for the letter to travel. I would have even gone to pick it up! ;)

I'm thinking I essentially have NO chance though...with a 3.5/155 LSAT. Is there a prayer at all? I'm getting tired of seeing small envelopes in the mail. I know it's a long shot, but one can hope, right?

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:56 pm

szimmerman wrote:My decision letter was mailed on Friday, April 1st...I go to Loyola Marymount in LA so it's a super short distance for the letter to travel. I would have even gone to pick it up! ;)

I'm thinking I essentially have NO chance though...with a 3.5/155 LSAT. Is there a prayer at all? I'm getting tired of seeing small envelopes in the mail. I know it's a long shot, but one can hope, right?

I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully they will be nice to their alumn :)

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:39 pm

szimmerman wrote:My decision letter was mailed on Friday, April 1st...I go to Loyola Marymount in LA so it's a super short distance for the letter to travel. I would have even gone to pick it up! ;)

No, sorry. I do not think you can count on admission to LLS. You probably will get into Southwestern, though.

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:17 pm

Puttanesca wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:
Puttanesca wrote:

USC with 15K/year

Thanks! Where are you headed in the fall?

Loyola of course! :D

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:21 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:Loyola of course! :D

Nice! I attended an LLS reception and met some of the faculty and admissions people, and it seems like a really great place with a lot of practical programs.

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:54 pm

Puttanesca wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:Loyola of course! :D

Nice! I attended an LLS reception and met some of the faculty and admissions people, and it seems like a really great place with a lot of practical programs.

Yeah I am pretty excited about it! It seems like a great place according to everything I've heard from current and past students and seen myself.

esmaylin

Postby esmaylin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:29 am

Hi all--i also haven't received any word back yet. I submitted all of my applications Dec 1 ( a tad late than recommended, i know) and have been obsessively checking the site for a status change...and still, nothing.

I just started my new job at a mid-sized pretty well-known law firm on the day that I turned in all of my apps and waited until February to do a resume update via e-mail. It didn't make sense to put the actual job on the resume because I had just started that job! I also applied day/evening but now my circumstances have changed so much so that it would be best and preferable to do evening as first choice and keep the job that i'm working at now. I have the option to e-mail them but I don't want all of this change to my application to adversely effect my decisions.

Stats: Undergrad (does undergrad really matter?)UCLA 3.5/153 (not preferable for LLS, i know :( but i'm praying for a miracle because LLS is my first choice!!!)

Any advice or words of wisdom will be very much appreciated.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:45 am

esmaylin wrote:Hi all--i also haven't received any word back yet. I submitted all of my applications Dec 1 ( a tad late than recommended, i know) and have been obsessively checking the site for a status change...and still, nothing.

I just started my new job at a mid-sized pretty well-known law firm on the day that I turned in all of my apps and waited until February to do a resume update via e-mail. It didn't make sense to put the actual job on the resume because I had just started that job! I also applied day/evening but now my circumstances have changed so much so that it would be best and preferable to do evening as first choice and keep the job that i'm working at now. I have the option to e-mail them but I don't want all of this change to my application to adversely effect my decisions.

Stats: Undergrad (does undergrad really matter?)UCLA 3.5/153 (not preferable for LLS, i know :( but i'm praying for a miracle because LLS is my first choice!!!)

I think you should keep the job at the law firm, and see if you can do a better job on the LSAT next cycle. In the meantime, get to know some lawyers and decide if you want to be one. You are not getting into LLS with those numbers. They are iffy even for Southwestern. It is not personal. It is about fairness. I bet LLS would love to have you if you can get a 161 on your LSAT.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:31 am

esmaylin wrote:Hi all--i also haven't received any word back yet. I submitted all of my applications Dec 1 ( a tad late than recommended, i know) and have been obsessively checking the site for a status change...and still, nothing.

you should definitely retake. You are throwing away a nice GPA from a nice undergrad institution (people say where you did your undergrad doesnt really matter but i disagree with this) with that LSAT score. In the meantime, keep working at that firm.

esmaylin

Postby esmaylin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:17 pm

gothamm wrote:

you should definitely retake. You are throwing away a nice GPA from a nice undergrad institution (people say where you did your undergrad doesnt really matter but i disagree with this) with that LSAT score. In the meantime, keep working at that firm.

Thank you all for your kind responses. I'm well aware of my slim chances, that's why i'm praying for a miracle. I know that it is pretty hopeless to make any changes to my application preferences but do you think it would hurt or help? (ty in advance!)

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:04 pm

No. It will make no difference. Your numbers are just too low. Sorry.

orachelo

Postby orachelo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:16 pm

Danteshek wrote:No. It will make no difference. Your numbers are just too low. Sorry.

I know someone who got accepted to Loyola with a 3.6 and a 151. It maybe an exception, but it happens. Why not call admissions and seek their advice?

simonesa

Postby simonesa » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:32 pm

esmaylin wrote:
gothamm wrote:

Thank you all for your kind responses. I'm well aware of my slim chances, that's why i'm praying for a miracle. I know that it is pretty hopeless to make any changes to my application preferences but do you think it would hurt or help? (ty in advance!)

I was accepted to Loyola with a 3.82 from Rutgers and an overall 3.79 LSAC GPA with 154 LSAT...no money of course. So don't give up hope.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:35 pm

orachelo wrote:
Danteshek wrote:No. It will make no difference. Your numbers are just too low. Sorry.

I know someone who got accepted to Loyola with a 3.6 and a 151. It maybe an exception, but it happens. Why not call admissions and seek their advice?

What did this person look like?

simonesa

Postby simonesa » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:40 pm

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of area Loyola is in? I was told that Loyola is really in a nice neighborhood, but then I read that the law school is gated and that you need an ID card to access the campus. I am not able to fly out to LA to take a visit, so hopefully someone can help me out with this. Thanks.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:46 pm

simonesa wrote:I was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of area Loyola is in? I was told that Loyola is really in a nice neighborhood, but then I read that the law school is gated and that you need an ID card to access the campus. I am not able to fly out to LA to take a visit, so hopefully someone can help me out with this. Thanks.

Loyola is in an area that used to be dangerous but is not dangerous anymore. This is due to the area being mostly central american. About 15 years ago the area was mostly black and was significantly more dangerous. The school is a 5 minute walk to Staples Center and LA Live. You can also walk to downtown in about 10 minutes. If you afraid of brown people maybe you should reconsider law school in Los Angeles.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”