Loyola LA 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
singingkris

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby singingkris » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:07 pm

gothamm wrote:I AM IN!!!!!!!!!

ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Congrats!! When did you go DR?

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:10 pm

Just today :D

I was starting to get soooo nervous.

jagoo

Postby jagoo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:37 pm

gothamm wrote:Just today :D

Hey, Congrats! Just wondering did you get a DR and an acceptance letter just today? or if you were notified through your email or status checker

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:04 pm

Justathought wrote:Truth be told, I'm pretty sure its just an issue with the GPA. I'm a non-trad applicant, so there was probably some leeway given on the that front, but my numbers don't seem to go over well with a lot of schools. I did mention my desire for LA, so they should be aware that I'm likely to attend.

Finally, my diversity statement dealt with heritage, but was remiss of any statement dealing with economic disadvantage. I was fortunate to come from a privileged background, and obviously that's the sort of thing you leave out. I once read on TLS that law school admissions are all about making yourself appear as disadvantaged as possible, even if you're as advantaged as they come. I took that to heart. Everyone loves an underdog story. :|

I completely agree with you. I think it was most of all your GPA that got you waitlisted as opposed to admitted at LLS.

I seriously doubt it had to do with you being Puerto Rican and there not being a lot of Puerto Ricans in LA :|.
Last edited by Pleasye on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:25 pm

Pleasye wrote:
Justathought wrote:Truth be told, I'm pretty sure its just an issue with the GPA. I'm a non-trad applicant, so there was probably some leeway given on the that front, but my numbers don't seem to go over well with a lot of schools. I did mention my desire for LA, so they should be aware that I'm likely to attend.

Finally, my diversity statement dealt with heritage, but was remiss of any statement dealing with economic disadvantage. I was fortunate to come from a privileged background, and obviously that's the sort of thing you leave out. I once read on TLS that law school admissions are all about making yourself appear as disadvantaged as possible, even if you're as advantaged as they come. I took that to heart. Everyone loves an underdog story. :|

I completely agree with you. I think it was most of all your GPA that got you waitlisted as opposed to admitted at LLS.

I seriously doubt it had to do with you being Puerto Rican and their not being a lot of Puerto Ricans in LA :|.

Oh well, guess I'll be riding two waitlists till the bitter end - Loyola and Cardozo. Right now I'm desperately trying to decide between Rutgers, Miami, and SMU-PT. Right now I'm leaning toward Miami; I do like warm weather, and Miami is at least well respected in its region. SMU would be a great option, but part-time seems like more hassle than its worth. Rutgers is my best NYC option, but it has next to no leverage in the market.

Edit: Also still waiting on USD. That could work for me.

dtl

Postby dtl » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:17 pm

Im in a similiar boat - waiting on my Cardozo/Loyola waitlist with USD as my pre accepted fallback.

ccbeau

Postby ccbeau » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:48 pm

I got a postcard for admitted students day April the 15th..

but no acceptance letter yet?

huh?

I'm confused.

(DR on status checker)

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:13 pm

ccbeau wrote:I got a postcard for admitted students day April the 15th..

but no acceptance letter yet?

huh?

I'm confused.

(DR on status checker)

Looks like you're in. Congrats :)

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:56 pm

Congrats man! Let the seat deposits begin! :D You gonna go to admitted students day?

balls

Postby balls » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:06 am

Pleasye wrote:

I seriously doubt it had to do with you being Puerto Rican and there not being a lot of Puerto Ricans in LA :|.

who is your avi? would wife/10.

also, i would love to get a group of students together for the admitted students day on the 15th and get some drinks or play some bball on the court or something. maybe someone should start a thread for that.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:11 am

balls wrote:who is your avi? would wife/10.

Adriana Lima :)

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:34 am

balls wrote:
Pleasye wrote:

who is your avi? would wife/10.

also, i would love to get a group of students together for the admitted students day on the 15th and get some drinks or play some bball on the court or something. maybe someone should start a thread for that.

I just created a thread for Admitted Students Day if people want to discuss ASD stuff there.

lulumore

Postby lulumore » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:56 am

Decision rendered on March 24, last Thursday, but no email notification. Is it a bad sign? is it is it is it???!!! Anyone else got the decision on the same day? what is it?

so nerrrrrvous.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:37 am

Judge Philip Banks wrote:

Congrats man! Let the seat deposits begin! :D You gonna go to admitted students day?

You bet I am. When is it?

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:09 am

gothamm wrote:

In two and a half weeks - Fri. April 15th

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:26 pm

gothamm wrote:

In two and a half weeks - Fri. April 15th

awesome. Hope to see you there :)

Nothing short of a phone call from UCI, or some nice $$ from USD/Pepp is gonna keep me from loyola

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:27 pm

lulumore wrote:Decision rendered on March 24, last Thursday, but no email notification. Is it a bad sign? is it is it is it???!!! Anyone else got the decision on the same day? what is it?

so nerrrrrvous.

got letter yet?

ccbeau

Postby ccbeau » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:23 pm

So.. I'm admitted.

But no scholarship =(

I have a 25k scholarship at Pepperdine.

I'm definitely deciding amongst the two, any thoughts on if I go to Pepperdine instead of Loyola.. if my prospective future will be hampered very much?

Thanks.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:00 pm

I don't think so. 25k is a great offer.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:05 pm

Is the 25k renewable or is it spread over three years?

Go to Pepperdine.

ccbeau

Postby ccbeau » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:19 pm

Danteshek wrote:Is the 25k renewable or is it spread over three years?

Go to Pepperdine.

It's renewable. Thanks for the input. That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure if it would make a huge difference in my future if I didn't take Loyola.

dtl

Postby dtl » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:32 pm

Unless you are really put off by the conservative/religious politics or the drive/cost of living near malibu 25k at Pepperdine is the better overall choice.
Last edited by dtl on Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KiraMarie

Postby KiraMarie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:51 pm

lulumore wrote:Decision rendered on March 24, last Thursday, but no email notification. Is it a bad sign? is it is it is it???!!! Anyone else got the decision on the same day? what is it?

so nerrrrrvous.

Where are you seeing "Decision Rendered"? In the small print at the bottom of the screen? Loyola's status checker is different from all of the other schools.

ccbeau

Postby ccbeau » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:52 pm

dtl wrote:Unless you are really put off by the conservative/religious politics a 25k or the drive/cost of living near malibu Pepperdine is the better overall choice.

I am an AA female.. but I'm from the conservative state of Oklahoma so it can't be any more extreme than my bible belt upbringing. I think I'll fare well. (hopefully)

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:02 pm

ccbeau wrote:
dtl wrote:Unless you are really put off by the conservative/religious politics a 25k or the drive/cost of living near malibu Pepperdine is the better overall choice.

I am an AA female.. but I'm from the conservative state of Oklahoma so it can't be any more extreme than my bible belt upbringing. I think I'll fare well. (hopefully)

I'm super liberal, for 25k at Pepperdine however, I'd suck it up and go there over sticker at Loyola any day. Congratulations!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”