Loyola LA 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dtl

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby dtl » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:40 pm

He is, after all, a damned sexy man.

--ImageRemoved--

homerless

Postby homerless » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:42 am

calililaw wrote:just wondering as to anyone who has applied to the part time program and if they heard back?

Also applied part time preference (there doesn't seem to be many of us), but still have not heard anything back.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:09 pm

Justathought wrote:
red_alertz wrote:
Justathought wrote:Decision rendered today. Not feeling too hopeful about my chances, but it would be great to be admitted. I have a lot of family in LA, including a number of practicing attorneys. :|

stats?

2.4/164/urm - Puerto Rican.

I'm also a non-trad, recently went back to finish my undergrad and earned a 4.0 over the last 39 credits. That's the only reason I'm holding out hope, but California loves GPA, so I'm probably out of luck.

Update: Letter still hasn't arrived. I received a PM from someone interested in my case, so I'm keeping this thread apprised of my status. I'm in NYC, so I'm expecting Monday at the absolute earliest. Still thinking ding or wait list.

Listening to "The Chronic" at the moment, just to be safe. :wink:

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:43 pm

Nobody can predict your cycle. I think your age will definitely help. I hope you get in. Loyola is a good place for minorities.

dtl

Postby dtl » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:18 pm

Just got back from my tour of the campus.

The campus is actually really pretty - its like an oasis in a really bad neighborhood. The entire thing is a compound - gates on all sides that require your student ID to pass through and little security cameras on tripods all over the campus.

The girl who did the tour was extremely nice and fairly knowledgeable. All in all I was very impressed. With a choice between USD and Loyola I am now leaning more towards Loyola especially with the ditz they had running the tour at USD ("What is your attrition rate? We have no attrition!").

(Edit fixed a typo.)
Last edited by dtl on Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:21 pm

dtl wrote:Just got back from my tour of the campus.

The campus is actually really pretty - its like an oasis in a really bad neighborhood. The entire thing is a compound - gates on all sides that require your student ID to pass through and little security cameras on tripods all over the campus.

The girl who did the tour was extremely nice and fairly knowledgeable. All in all I was very impressed. With a choice between USD and Loyola I am not leaning more towards Loyola especially with the ditz they had running the tour at USD ("What is your attrition rate? We have no attrition!").

Wait, did she say this before or after mounting a unicorn and flying into a rainbow?

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:29 pm

dtl wrote:Just got back from my tour of the campus.

The girl who did the tour was extremely nice and fairly knowledgeable. All in all I was very impressed. With a choice between USD and Loyola I am not leaning more towards Loyola especially with the ditz they had running the tour at USD ("What is your attrition rate? We have no attrition!").

LOL...you must have gone on the tour on wednesday.

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:23 pm

DR today...anyone else?

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:07 pm

Waitlisted as of last week...was out of town so I couldnt update TLS. Damn I really want Loyola...My choices are now American and Pepperdine and trying to get off of the waitlist. Anyone know the chances of actually getting off the dreaded unranked waitlist?

dtl

Postby dtl » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:35 pm

Unfortunately from my inquiries it seems pretty damned low. They wait list 100+ people.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:56 pm

jstubbs wrote:Waitlisted as of last week...was out of town so I couldnt update TLS. Damn I really want Loyola...My choices are now American and Pepperdine and trying to get off of the waitlist. Anyone know the chances of actually getting off the dreaded unranked waitlist?

Those are good choices...

pugsnotdrugs

Postby pugsnotdrugs » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:20 pm

DR today. I hope it's not a rejection or waitlist. :(

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:51 pm

Got the mail today. Wait list. First WL I'm actually disappointed about, though I'm ultimately not surprised. I'm going to wait it out, I have a lot of family members who practice in LA, so Loyola would make a lot of sense for me.

pugsnotdrugs

Postby pugsnotdrugs » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:17 pm

Justathought wrote:Got the mail today. Wait list. First WL I'm actually disappointed about, though I'm ultimately not surprised. I'm going to wait it out, I have a lot of family members who practice in LA, so Loyola would make a lot of sense for me.

I'm sorry to hear that. Would you mind posting your stats?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:18 pm

pugsnotdrugs wrote:
Justathought wrote:Got the mail today. Wait list. First WL I'm actually disappointed about, though I'm ultimately not surprised. I'm going to wait it out, I have a lot of family members who practice in LA, so Loyola would make a lot of sense for me.

2.4/164/URM

California loves GPA :(

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:06 pm

Justathought wrote:
pugsnotdrugs wrote:

2.4/164/URM

Sorry to hear. Are you a real URM? Black or Hispanic?

MST3K

Postby MST3K » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:14 pm

singingkris wrote:DR today...anyone else?

+1

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:17 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Justathought wrote:
pugsnotdrugs wrote:

2.4/164/URM

Sorry to hear. Are you a real URM? Black or Hispanic?

:lol: Puerto Rican.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:31 pm

Yeah, I am not sure whether being Puerto Rican will help you. Probably not. I take it you are not from Los Angeles?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:34 pm

Danteshek wrote:Yeah, I am not sure whether being Puerto Rican will help you. Probably not. I take it you are not from Los Angeles?

I'm from NYC, but a lot of my family lives in LA. Generally, Puerto Ricans receive a boost comparable to Mexicans, but less than African Americans. Oddly, we have the lowest median LSAT of all urms. Not sure why, but our median was 138 last time I checked.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:49 pm

Justathought wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Yeah, I am not sure whether being Puerto Rican will help you. Probably not. I take it you are not from Los Angeles?

I'm from NYC, but a lot of my family lives in LA. Generally, Puerto Ricans receive a boost comparable to Mexicans, but less than African Americans. Oddly, we have the lowest median LSAT of all urms. Not sure why, but our median was 138 last time I checked.

Yeah, my guess is that LLS was a little skeptical of your stated desire to move to Los Angeles. NYC is full of Puerto Ricans. LA has very few (to my knowledge). Also, I am guessing you are (much?) more privileged than the average NYC Puerto Rican, which may or may not have factored into the decision to waitlist you.

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:00 pm

Has their been any PT acceptances yet? TY.

balls

Postby balls » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:01 pm

ill probably be going to loyola in the fall.

my options were narrowed down to lls and american. im in dc right now visiting and sweet merciful christ its balls cold. balls.

i really like the basketball court at lls. i was there a couple weeks ago and i was the only one there shooting around.

so, in conclusion, im basing my decision on the weather and a basketball court.

sup.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:03 pm

I AM IN!!!!!!!!!

ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:03 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Justathought wrote:

Yeah, my guess is that LLS was a little skeptical of your stated desire to move to Los Angeles. NYC is full of Puerto Ricans. LA has very few (to my knowledge). Also, I am guessing you are (much?) more privileged than the average NYC Puerto Rican, which may or may not have factored into the decision to waitlist you.

Truth be told, I'm pretty sure its just an issue with the GPA. I'm a non-trad applicant, so there was probably some leeway given on the that front, but my numbers don't seem to go over well with a lot of schools. I did mention my desire for LA, so they should be aware that I'm likely to attend.

Finally, my diversity statement dealt with heritage, but was remiss of any statement dealing with economic disadvantage. I was fortunate to come from a privileged background, and obviously that's the sort of thing you leave out. I once read on TLS that law school admissions are all about making yourself appear as disadvantaged as possible, even if you're as advantaged as they come. I took that to heart. Everyone loves an underdog story. :|

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”