Loyola LA 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Loyola Trojan

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby Loyola Trojan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Why is Loyola dragging this out so long?
Went complete November, 3 months later and no movement

Called them a few times and they said end of Feb, and now it's March 1st

Oh well, there's always Cardozo 8)

Flett

Postby Flett » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:09 pm

Loyola Trojan wrote:Why is Loyola dragging this out so long?
Went complete November, 3 months later and no movement

Called them a few times and they said end of Feb, and now it's March 1st

Oh well, there's always Cardozo 8)

I was in the exact same boat until last Friday when the acceptance packet came. Hang in there.

Midnight Rider

Postby Midnight Rider » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:48 pm

Flett wrote:I was in the exact same boat until last Friday when the acceptance packet came. Hang in there.

Same for me too. Long wait with no word, then the acceptance on Friday. No $$ though. Any thoughts on attempting to leverage cheaper tuition at a somewhat higher ranked school to get cash? Does this work or does it have to be a scholly award to negotiate?

strokes4ever

Postby strokes4ever » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:25 pm

flett and midnight, did your status checker update and change to "Decision Letter Sent", or did you just find a packet in the mail with no change on the status checker?

i keep checking mine incessantly and nothing. albeit i 'only' went complete mid January.

Flett

Postby Flett » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:38 pm

strokes4ever wrote:flett and midnight, did your status checker update and change to "Decision Letter Sent", or did you just find a packet in the mail with no change on the status checker?

i keep checking mine incessantly and nothing. albeit i 'only' went complete mid January.

I hadn't checked it recently prior to receiving the packet, but the checker currently says, "A decision regarding your admissions application was made on February 18, 2011. A decision letter was sent through the U.S. Mail and should reach you within seven business days of the above date."

HTH. :)

strokes4ever

Postby strokes4ever » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:21 pm

it does, in the sense that it worries me, because my status checker still only says "COMPLETE".

congrats to you, though! considering attending?

calililaw

Postby calililaw » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:06 pm

just wondering as to anyone who has applied to the part time program and if they heard back?

smittelman6

Postby smittelman6 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:29 pm

strokes4ever wrote:flett and midnight, did your status checker update and change to "Decision Letter Sent", or did you just find a packet in the mail with no change on the status checker?

i also went complete mid january, and mine just changed to decision letter sent as of 2/28

strokes4ever

Postby strokes4ever » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:38 am

smittelman6 wrote:

i also went complete mid january, and mine just changed to decision letter sent as of 2/28

judging by your stats in your profile, you're gonna get good news :)

Irrelephant

Postby Irrelephant » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:55 am

I applied at the deadline last cycle and waited a year to attend loyola after submitting my deposits at USD. I reapplied with a new PS and evaluation on 12/16. Two weeks ago, I was accepted but didn't receive a scholarship.

On 2/25 I opened a small little envelope post marked 2/23 (my birthday) with a generous $69k. I'm extremely excited and will certainly be attending (8

163, 3.45

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:31 am

Irrelephant wrote:I applied at the deadline last cycle and waited a year to attend loyola after submitting my deposits at USD. I reapplied with a new PS and evaluation on 12/16. Two weeks ago, I was accepted but didn't receive a scholarship.

On 2/25 I opened a small little envelope post marked 2/23 (my birthday) with a generous $69k. I'm extremely excited and will certainly be attending (8

163, 3.45

thats awesome! congrats.

Irrelephant

Postby Irrelephant » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:31 pm

Sidenote: I submitted a formal request for scholarship reconsideration within a few days of being accepted. I'm not sure if this came into play much but the admissions packet said that scholarship information is sent w/ acceptance letter.

Regardless, I'm thrilled with the way things turned out after reapplying. I just need to figure out when I'm going to stop working this summer.

Chillmode commencing

smittelman6

Postby smittelman6 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:00 pm

Irrelephant wrote:I applied at the deadline last cycle and waited a year to attend loyola after submitting my deposits at USD. I reapplied with a new PS and evaluation on 12/16. Two weeks ago, I was accepted but didn't receive a scholarship.

163, 3.45

can i ask what motivated you to choose loyola over USD? i am very interested in both schools, but leaning towards USD right now. (note: USD gave me 90k which it's unlikely loyola will match. also COL in san diego is a lot less than in LA...)

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:15 pm

smittelman6 wrote:
can i ask what motivated you to choose loyola over USD? i am very interested in both schools, but leaning towards USD right now. (note: USD gave me 90k which it's unlikely loyola will match. also COL in san diego is a lot less than in LA...)

IMHO the COL is pretty much even. I've lived in LA all my life but all my family is in SD and from my experience it's pretty much the same. Anywho...still waiting for both USD and Loyola (damn the splitter life) hope to see y'all next year :)

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:31 pm

Although I have yet to hear back from either of these schools, these are both schools I am looking at. To the poster who chose loyola over USD, is there any academic reason for the choice? I'm looking to go into IP law and considering USD>Loyola slightly for this aspect of their respective programs/location. Any thoughts?

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:15 pm

smittelman6 wrote:

163, 3.45

Do you want to work in SD though? If you go to USD, which is a nice option since you have a great scholarship there, you will in all likelihood start your career in SD. If you want to work in LA, then LLS would be the better choice. I am sure you know all this already... Sorry I don't have any real advice on why one should choose LLS or USD over the other, other than the impact on where you will be working. When you get your packet, see what scholarship LLS will offer you, and if it isn't their maximum of 87k, then see if you can negotiate up (that is, if you want LA over SD to begin with...).

smittelman6

Postby smittelman6 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:02 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:Do you want to work in SD though? If you go to USD, which is a nice option since you have a great scholarship there, you will in all likelihood start your career in SD. If you want to work in LA, then LLS would be the better choice. I am sure you know all this already... Sorry I don't have any real advice on why one should choose LLS or USD over the other, other than the impact on where you will be working. When you get your packet, see what scholarship LLS will offer you, and if it isn't their maximum of 87k, then see if you can negotiate up (that is, if you want LA over SD to begin with...).

well, i think my question is this...

the legal market is clearly much larger in LA than in SD. however, the LA market is also more saturated because they have other (higher ranked) top law schools already there. SD has (i would think) at least a bit less competition, but at the same time they have less jobs to begin with.

that didn't explain much. basically i'm wondering what job prospects are like for LLS grads in the LA market [VS] what job prospects are like for USD grads in the SD market.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:12 pm

smittelman6 wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:Do you want to work in SD though? If you go to USD, which is a nice option since you have a great scholarship there, you will in all likelihood start your career in SD. If you want to work in LA, then LLS would be the better choice. I am sure you know all this already... Sorry I don't have any real advice on why one should choose LLS or USD over the other, other than the impact on where you will be working. When you get your packet, see what scholarship LLS will offer you, and if it isn't their maximum of 87k, then see if you can negotiate up (that is, if you want LA over SD to begin with...).

the legal market is clearly much larger in LA than in SD. however, the LA market is also more saturated because they have other (higher ranked) top law schools already there. SD has (i would think) at least a bit less competition, but at the same time they have less jobs to begin with.

that didn't explain much. basically i'm wondering what job prospects are like for LLS grads in the LA market [VS] what job prospects are like for USD grads in the SD market.

You are splitting hairs. But I think it is generally a good idea to be in a bigger legal market. The upside is greater at Loyola. You should welcome the prospect of competing with USC and UCLA students, not run away from it.

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:24 pm

Danteshek wrote:
smittelman6 wrote:

You are splitting hairs. But I think it is generally a good idea to be in a bigger legal market. The upside is greater at Loyola. You should welcome the prospect of competing with USC and UCLA students, not run away from it.

I'm just a 0L, so I have no real experience to base my opinion on, but I would agree with this. You really shouldn't shy away from the LA market because it may or may not be saturated. Your decision should come down to what YOU want to do and where YOU want to be. If YOU want to work in LA badly enough, then go for it, and same with SD. Doing well at LLS will probably put you in no worse shape than doing decently at UCLA/USC, more or less. And doing well at USD will probably put you in decent shape to break into the SD market. I really can't comment with any certainty or accuracy on the state of either the LA or SD markets. But, I'd bet you'll get a scholarship to LLS, too, so you need to think about what you want to do with law (i.e. biglaw or not, PI, gov't, etc.), where you can/want to practice what you want to do, etc etc.

SFnative

Postby SFnative » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:06 pm

Anyone here gonna do the informational chat today at 3pm??

I would love to just log on and ask, when is my decision going to mailed out?

dtl

Postby dtl » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:33 pm

I am also most likely going to end up picking between Loyola and USD and figured I would toss this in for your consideration:

Loyola is literally a one city block complex surrounded by a fairly bad neighborhood. You will most likely drive into their compound through the underground parking and drive out to the freeway.

UCD is fucking beautiful and near the beach. It was rated the fourth best kept/scenic campus in the nation last year by USWNR.

This is the only thing leaning me towards USD atm. I do not think the difference in obtaining work in LA is that large if thats where you want to end up going. On the other hand quality of life may very well be much higher at USD.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:50 pm

dtl wrote:I am also most likely going to end up picking between Loyola and USD and figured I would toss this in for your consideration:

Loyola is literally a one city block complex surrounded by a fairly bad neighborhood. You will most likely drive into their compound through the underground parking and drive out to the freeway.

UCD is fucking beautiful and near the beach. It was rated the fourth best kept/scenic campus in the nation last year by USWNR.

This is the only thing leaning me towards USD atm. I do not think the difference in obtaining work in LA is that large if thats where you want to end up going. On the other hand quality of life may very well be much higher at USD.

I don't disagree with this-quality of life may be higher in San Diego. But it depends on your perspective. Mexican people do not scare me... Frankly, I like walking around diverse neighborhoods. I find them more interesting than white-bread communities.

cslopez5

Postby cslopez5 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:39 am

Danteshek wrote:
dtl wrote:I am also most likely going to end up picking between Loyola and USD and figured I would toss this in for your consideration:

I don't disagree with this-quality of life may be higher in San Diego. But it depends on your perspective. Mexican people do not scare me... Frankly, I like walking around diverse neighborhoods. I find them more interesting than white-bread communities.

For the record, the Pico-Union neighborhood in which Loyola is located in is not saturated by Mexicans contrary to popular belief, in fact it is a pocket in which the predominant background is actually Central American, and there is a big difference between the two. Try calling anyone chilling across the street from Loyola a "Mexican" and tell me what happens lol

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:33 am

Fair enough :-)

smittelman6

Postby smittelman6 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:41 pm

although this makes me feel great about my own leaning towards USD, i think it should be made clear that your ability to break into the LA legal market is not the same for both schools. the LA market is going to be much more easily accessible to a LLS grad than to a USD grad. LLS also has the greatest number of alumni in the state of california out of ALL of the california law schools. i'm not saying one is better than the other-- clearly since i am leaning towards USD i consider them to be very much on the same level-- but i personally want to live/practice in SD, not LA, which i think should be the first consideration here.

i am concerned about job prospects, but after hearing from everyone and doing some more research, i think that they are really equal at both schools, and that you really need to choose the school that is in the city where you want to live.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”