Loyola LA 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Judge Philip Banks

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:43 am

jwmalone87 wrote:Mid-December applicant, decision mailed today. Much quicker than I expected; their admissions office is on it.

Sorry if this was asked before and I missed it, but do they offer any unstipulated scholarships? Seems we're all getting very similar offers with the same qualification attached to them.

Not 100% sure if this really is true across the board, but FWIW, all of the scholarships I have seen/heard of have had the stip of staying in the top 30%.

eminem

Postby eminem » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:13 pm

Admitted today, $87,000 scholarship with the same top 30% stipulation. Anybody know if Loyola LA has a rep for stacking sections or otherwise rigging the deck?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:35 pm

eminem wrote:Admitted today, $87,000 scholarship with the same top 30% stipulation. Anybody know if Loyola LA has a rep for stacking sections or otherwise rigging the deck?

No. Loyola treats its students fairly. Congratulations!

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:10 pm

eminem wrote:Admitted today, $87,000 scholarship with the same top 30% stipulation. Anybody know if Loyola LA has a rep for stacking sections or otherwise rigging the deck?

Students are spread out pretty evenly among sections. Congrats!

Mike088

Postby Mike088 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:11 pm

eminem, when did you submit and go complete?

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:00 pm

In via snail mail a couple days ago (158/3.7). Pretty doubtful about receiving any $$.

Is attending Loyola at sticker crazy? I'm aware tuition plus COL comes to over 50k/yr, but job prospects at least seem decent and the school has been taking small but noticeable jumps in the rankings the last few years.

LegallyPumpkin

Postby LegallyPumpkin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:23 pm

IamAskier wrote:In via snail mail a couple days ago (158/3.7). Pretty doubtful about receiving any $$.

Is attending Loyola at sticker crazy? I'm aware tuition plus COL comes to over 50k/yr, but job prospects at least seem decent and the school has been taking small but noticeable jumps in the rankings the last few years.

Congrats! I was waitlisted with 158/3.83 :-(

eminem

Postby eminem » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:27 pm

Submitted 12/6, complete 12/10.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:11 pm

LegallyPumpkin wrote:
IamAskier wrote:In via snail mail a couple days ago (158/3.7). Pretty doubtful about receiving any $$.

Thanks! Sorry about the waitlist; with that GPA I'm sure you'll get off it! I'm so thankful to have the "admit" though, I'm currently on 2 waitlists and anticipating a couple more. Being a non-LDS Utahn, I wrote what I guess was a "diversity statement" addressing growing up as a "cultural minority". Guess it worked, or at least didn't hurt me.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:36 pm

LegallyPumpkin wrote:

ouch. This is not looking good for me.

3.16/162

originalmutt

Postby originalmutt » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:45 pm

What other offers do you have? Where do you want to practice?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:13 am

gothamm wrote:ouch. This is not looking good for me.

3.16/162

Your GPA isn't great but your LSAT is 4 points higher than her/his, not the same situation at all.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:55 am

Pleasye wrote:

3.16/162

Your GPA isn't great but your LSAT is 4 points higher than her/his, not the same situation at all.

yeah but i also submitted my application mid-jan. its hasn't even gone "complete" yet :cry:

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:59 am

gothamm wrote:
Pleasye wrote:

3.16/162

yeah but i also submitted my application mid-jan. its hasn't even gone "complete" yet :cry:

Hm, Loyola only recently (no joke) began releasing RD decisions. so you may be in for a long wait but I don't think your chances are SEVERELY affected at this specific school.

Edit: my friend applied around the same time as you last year and got a decision toward the end of March? This could be completely inaccurate because it was a year ago and I wasn't applying then so I wasn't paying much attention, but just wanted to give you an idea fwiw.
Last edited by Pleasye on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:06 am

gothamm wrote:

I submitted 11/22, went complete 11/30, and heard back 12/21. You'll probably go complete soon, but still be in for a bit of a wait anyway.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:07 am

Pleasye wrote:
gothamm wrote:
Pleasye wrote:

3.16/162

Hm, Loyola only recently (no joke) began releasing RD decisions. so you may be in for a long wait but I don't think your chances are SEVERELY affected at this specific school.

Hopefully. I even wrote a "why loyola" addendum explaining my desire to go there, how my mentor went there, and how its my top choice.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:09 am

JenDarby wrote:
gothamm wrote:

I submitted 11/22, went complete 11/30, and heard back 12/21. You'll probably go complete soon, but still be in for a bit of a wait anyway.

Thanks. Do you remember each of your statuses? loyola has all the electronic info. The only thing not checked off is the "academic disclosures" box. I see a little note that says that it won't go complete until the hard copies are received to admissions.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:16 am

gothamm wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
gothamm wrote:

Thanks. Do you remember each of your statuses? loyola has all the electronic info. The only thing not checked off is the "academic disclosures" box. I see a little note that says that it won't go complete until the hard copies are received to admissions.

I did have disclosures, and that was the only thing not checked off for me as well. I was pretty good about updating my LSN profile, which says I went complete 11/30, so I imagine that's the day that box was checked, and at the bottom it said complete. Other than that, nothing changed with the status checker until 12/21 when the entire status checker page updated to a note saying a decision had been finalized, which I'd receive via usps.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:23 am

JenDarby wrote:
gothamm wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
gothamm wrote:

I did have disclosures, and that was the only thing not checked off for me as well. I was pretty good about updating my LSN profile, which says I went complete 11/30, so I imagine that's the day that box was checked, and at the bottom it said complete. Other than that, nothing changed with the status checker until 12/21 when the entire status checker page updated to a note saying a decision had been finalized, which I'd receive via usps.

thanks for this. I think I should be fine.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:37 am

FWIW, i just made the trip to Loyola just to see how the drive would be. Driving from the Norwalk area. It took me 25 mins on a sunday minimal/modest traffic. Not too bad at all. But boy is it in a ghetto area!

Also, I am surprised that there isn't a single mention of how loyola is situated RIGHT BEHIND the Staples Center.

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:52 am

3.16/162

Our numbers and feelings are pretty similar.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:53 am

gothamm wrote:FWIW, i just made the trip to Loyola just to see how the drive would be. Driving from the Norwalk area. It took me 25 mins on a sunday minimal/modest traffic. Not too bad at all. But boy is it in a ghetto area!

Also, I am surprised that there isn't a single mention of how loyola is situated RIGHT BEHIND the Staples Center.

... Because it is not? It's about 3 blocks (.7 miles) away. Walking distance, but not adjacent. Not exactly in the heart of LA Live... But, after midterms/finals, Yardhouse is the number 1 place people go after to celebrate.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:47 am

NoleinNY wrote:
gothamm wrote:FWIW, i just made the trip to Loyola just to see how the drive would be. Driving from the Norwalk area. It took me 25 mins on a sunday minimal/modest traffic. Not too bad at all. But boy is it in a ghetto area!

... Because it is not? It's about 3 blocks (.7 miles) away. Walking distance, but not adjacent. Not exactly in the heart of LA Live... But, after midterms/finals, Yardhouse is the number 1 place people go after to celebrate.

Ya but isn't the Pico-Union neighborhood inwhich LLS is located pretty hood? I've never personally visited but I've been researching since I got in, and the school seems to be more of a well fortified fortress than a law school campus, which is reassuring/concerning I guess.

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:45 pm

gothamm wrote:
Pleasye wrote:

3.16/162

I submitted in late December and mine just went complete today (though I did take the Dec LSAT)

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:19 am

IamAskier wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:

Ya but isn't the Pico-Union neighborhood inwhich LLS is located pretty hood? I've never personally visited but I've been researching since I got in, and the school seems to be more of a well fortified fortress than a law school campus, which is reassuring/concerning I guess.

Oh, I never said "LLS is not in the hood;" I'm just saying a) it is not adjacent to the Staples Center, as implied by the quoted portion but rather a modest distance away and b) we Loyolans love the Happy Hour deals at Yardhouse [this post is not in anyway shape or form an advertisement for Yardhouse :P ]. Technically, it's considered "Westlake"
http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/ ... /westlake/ Pico-Union is south of there (i.e. off Pico)

But yes, to reiterate, the neighborhood is ghetto. However, the campus is ridiculously safe. Built like a fortress, security guards on patrol, secure garage, etc. Shuttle service to and from Union Station stops right at the entrance of the garage (in full view of the security station). I have never felt unsafe there, even late at night.

I've walked around the area during broad daylight and (at most) encountered the occasional, harmless hobo. I can't speak for the safety of walking up and down James M Wood blvd at 2 AM, or even leaving your car parked OUTSIDE the school garage (day or night). If you walk to LA live in the evening via Olympic, in groups, it's not terrible.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”